[Hulu] The Bear

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rittchard

[Hulu] The Bear

Post by rittchard »

Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere, but a quick search didn't yield anything.

A friend of mine mentioned this to me the other day and said it was the best show he'd seen all year. I was extremely skeptical but I did notice it's been getting more and more "buzz" lately. He tried to explain the premise, which didn't really help, but it's been a little slow on shows so I ended up giving it a try. I'm so glad I did because it was really an excellent show and I ended up binging the whole thing in a couple days. This is not my typical kind of show at all, but it was just really well done. If you do like kitchen/cooking shows, you'll probably like it for that. But also if you just like well written, well acted drama/comedy.

Here's the official description:
Carmy, a young fine-dining chef, comes home to Chicago to run his family sandwich shop. As he fights to transform the shop and himself, he works alongside a rough-around-the-edges crew that ultimately reveal themselves as his chosen family.
The first ep is a little hard to sit through as you are getting introduced to the characters, and the pacing is incredibly chaotic and fast (in terms of dialog). The second ep settles you in much more and it's not until the 7th that you get that really crazy energy again. BTW, that 7th episode may be one of the finest pieces of TV I've ever seen, it's one of those one-take deals and is incredibly intense. I need to rewatch it as I almost can't believe they pulled it off.

All the actors are excellent, and fans of Punisher S1 will be glad to see the goofy sidekick guy as Richie.
Spoiler:
And you'll be even happier when you see who plays Carmy's brother in flashbacks.
Holman

Re: [Hulu] The Bear

Post by Holman »

I'm surprised this thread hasn't taken off. The Bear is some truly excellent TV.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I didn't notice the thread until just now. The show is carried on Disney+ here in Canada.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

My younger son is fascinated with cooking and kitchen culture (he has read all of Anthony Bourdain, etc).

He binged the whole series when it was first available, and he has been guiding all the rest of us (me, his mom, his grandmother) through it again.

I assume the OO Chicago crew should be all over this.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Yeah honestly this was some of the best TV I’ve seen all year, maybe ever. I rarely like to recommend stuff because I know peoples’ tastes are so different, but I really think this is something worth watching. It may be a little TOO high energy/intensity I suppose, but I felt like it was just incredibly compelling.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's on my list, just absolutely swamped with TV. Like...I'm finally catching up to The Umbrella Academy's new season from ~4 months ago. I was specifically told to watch this show because of Episode 2. I think it's next as I've heard nothing but good things about it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Forgot to update that I watched the series and loved it. Excited for S2:

6/22/23

malchior

Post by malchior »

If you haven't watched this season, episode 6 ("The Fishes") might be the most intense, best acted episode of a show this year. My wife declared she needed to take a break after it.
telcta

Post by telcta »

That episode was exhausting. I cannot fathom how they edit shows like that where everyone is talking over each other. I am amazed at how well that show is put together. The episode titled “Forks” was my favorite of the season.

Bad thing about binging is it’s over so quickly. Sometimes it’s good to be forced to have episodes drop weekly.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is this one of the best shows no one is watching? I'm about halfway through the second season and it's so good.
Bad thing about binging is it’s over so quickly. Sometimes it’s good to be forced to have episodes drop weekly.
I agree - for whatever reason, I think I'd enjoy seeing this weekly rather than all at once. I know that's weird to say in 2023, but it's true.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just started it a week ago but I'm only a handful of episodes in. I really like it so far though, primarily just due to the acting.
naednek

Post by naednek »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:19 pm I just started it a week ago but I'm only a handful of episodes in. I really like it so far though, primarily just due to the acting.
would love to watch but even though it says FX, you have to have hulu. So, I guess I pass
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I had thought it was airing on FX but apparently it's a Hulu exclusive show. The battle lines for the streaming wars have been established and they are not forgiving!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve started watching it on Hulu. I like that they name the correct roads to take when driving to various suburbs.

But it’s also really well written and acted.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good lord! Ep6 from S2 ("Fishes") is insane - insane! Between the story and the guest actors...I was on overload. I still need to finish the season, but that might have been the most important episode of the entire series.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The episode that follows Fishes was also so damn good ("Forks"). I was wondering how they were going to come down off that intensity, and it worked.

Finished the season last night and I actually thought it was better than the first.

Regarding Hulu-only, I didn't realize The Bear was also on Disney+ at some point last year; it seems to have been pulled, but apparently will be back (?) on Disney+ at the end of July? I would hope they'd bring back S1 with S2, but in this crazy time with all the strikes and corporations doing everything they can to screw writers out of residuals, it won't surprise me if it's only S2.

That all said, I'm still not entirely sure if it's coming to the U.S. market either. These streaming wars really, really suck.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I just finished season 2, and I don't even know what to think. The final episode was very intense: not as much family drama as "Fishes," but definitely the highest pitch of workplace drama we've seen. Every character was given a new angle. Just very very strong stuff.

And of course it's clear that they're ending with the knowledge that they'll have at least a third season to further explore these new angles.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:53 am I didn’t find any mention of this in a search but the terms aren’t exactly unique either. My wife wanted to check this out. After a couple episodes I was ready to bail but we stuck with it and at the end of the second season I was googling for when season three is coming.

Ostensibly, it’s a show about running a restaurant in Chicago. In reality it’s a show about mental health. The language is brutal. They are constantly yelling. It’s almost always chaos. It’s also oddly beautiful.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

A friend of mine has a cafe in the space where the kitchen scenes of the first season were filmed. I haven't watched the show but it looks unchanged from the stills I've seen.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT