Gmail not deleting emails when using outlook.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

UsulofDoom

Gmail not deleting emails when using outlook.

Post by UsulofDoom »

I'm getting alerts that my gmail account is 87% of reaching over 15G limit. I use outlook with imap. I send items from my foulders to the trash and empty the trash in outlook. Gmail brouser ALL Mail foulder shows that I have 47,037 emails. All the way back to 2010.
The problem is gmail has a ALL Mail foulder that it is not deleting the emails. The ALL Mail will show in gmail brouser that the email is in the inbox. Then when I move it to trash in outlook it will show in gmail that it is not in the inbox in ther all mail foulder. The trash foulder on gmail brouser will show the files that I sent there and will empty when I do so in outlook. The all mail foulder will still show the email but no longer state that it is in the inbox.
I know I can delete the email from gmail brouser All Mail foulder and then it will delete when i empty the trash foulder. I'm look for help on not going through 47 thousand emails 50 at a time.

Thanks for any real help you can give me.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
stessier

Re: Gmail not deleting emails when using outlook.

Post by stessier »

Would you have many in your Inbox if you deleted everything else? I'm thinking you could create a temp folder, move all the real mail into that, then use Select All to delete all the remaining email. You could then move everything from the Temp Folder back into your Inbox. Really only works, though, if you have a small number in your Inbox normally.

I don't use Outlook, so don't have a plan for how to proceed going forward.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

stessier wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:23 am Would you have many in your Inbox if you deleted everything else? I'm thinking you could create a temp folder, move all the real mail into that, then use Select All to delete all the remaining email. You could then move everything from the Temp Folder back into your Inbox. Really only works, though, if you have a small number in your Inbox normally.

I don't use Outlook, so don't have a plan for how to proceed going forward.

it's 47,000 plus emails. I did find a way to do it.

I opened outlook and set all folders and inbox to unread. Then waited for gmail to sync which took time. Then closed outlook and went into my gmail account from the browser. Then confirmed all unread in inbox and labels . Using the all option then select all conversations in labels.

I then went into the ALLMail and search for read emails all then selected all conversations in ALLMail and selected delete. This moved then in to the trash. Gmaill would only move 4000 to 5000 emails at a time so repeat. At this point DO NOT open out look or they will start moving to your trash bin. Found that out the hard way. Empty the trash bin. It will take multiple selections to do so.

Once the trash is gone then set everything to read in folders in outlook and labels in gmail. Wait to sync again. CLOSE Outlook.

Now go to ALL MAIL and do the search for unread and do the same process you did with read emails.

I'm down to 2.3 G of 15 G now. can get rid of more since I found out latter that is was only doing 4k to 5k on the read emails.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I know it was 47k, but wasn't sure how many you planned to keep. I have less than 200 and it always amazes me when people think they need even that many.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:44 pm I know it was 47k, but wasn't sure how many you planned to keep. I have less than 200 and it always amazes me when people think they need even that many.