F1® Manager 2022 - a motorsport management game for the Formula One racing series

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

F1® Manager 2022 - a motorsport management game for the Formula One racing series

Post by jztemple2 »

So....

We had discussed this upcoming game in the Motorsport Manager thread and since there is at least one other member (Reemul) interested I am as I promised starting a new thread for it. There hasn't been a good motorsport manager game since, well, Motorsport Manager back in 2016 and no F1 themed manager game for dog years before that. So it was with some interest that several months ago I read that Frontier Developments, developers of Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo had been selected by Formula One management to create the game.

We have been given various trailers and developer videos and I'll just post all of them to date in this message. These are all short videos.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Re: F1® Manager 2022 - a motorsport management game for the Formula One racing series

Post by jztemple2 »

This video is a more in depth look at the game, but I've not watched the whole thing, first because I know I'm getting the game and two, I dislike YouTube videos where the host feels obliged to be on camera so much of the time. Just a personal option of mine, but I find it distracting and also don't like that some of the screen real estate is devoted to looking constantly at someone.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Re: F1® Manager 2022 - a motorsport management game for the Formula One racing series

Post by jztemple2 »

This is a non-video developer post, F1® Manager 2022 Driver Ratings – Plus Deep Dive on Development and Potential. It's informative not only for the overall ratings but also on what ratings mean, how they are derived and what you as the player need to understand about them.

There's also this, F1® Manager 2022 – 6 Essential Tips When Starting Your First Save. From the article you can get a better idea of how the game is played and what is your role.

And now, some eye candy!
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It looks REALLY good so far. I have high hopes as I could see that a lot of fun. The graphics are way beyond what I would expect from this type of game.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:53 pm It looks REALLY good so far. I have high hopes as I could see that a lot of fun. The graphics are way beyond what I would expect from this type of game.
As this is an officially licensed game, they have access to all driver, car and team images, not to mention voice files, etc. And based upon what they have probably deduced from the Codemaster F1 games, a lot of fans will be drawn to that content. In fact I'm sure there will be a lot of people who buy the game just for it. And I'm just as sure that a lot of those people will play it for a while and then decide that management and finances aren't as much fun as they thought :D

I do hope that they include a game mode where you can just manage the team on a race weekend without all the overhead of dealing with salaries, contracts and parts development. Motorsports Manager has that mode and it's a nice change from running a team.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another feature video from the devs

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another video. This looks very good and as the resident OO F1 expert(?) :D I'd say there's a lot of authenticity there.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The final pre-release video, looking at the motion capture technology used to make the game.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

If you've pre-ordered F1 Mananger 2022 (F1M22?) on Steam, it will be available at 3pm BST on August 25th. Confusingly, BST isn't the British equivalent of, say, Eastern Standard Time (EST), but is instead British Summer Time, which is the equivalent of EDT, Eastern Daylight Time. Except that it's not implemented on the same dates. I've prepared this simple to use flowchart to help you figure it out.

UPDATE: Note, it has been mentioned that the early August 25th release of F1M22 is only if you pre-ordered it on Steam. Apparently not if you pre-ordered through a third party key vendor. I haven't been able to confirm this, but YMMV
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Steam preload for F1M22 is now available.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's a nice article from Green Man Gaming (I didn't even know they did articles!) about the game, Everything you need to know about F1 Manager 2022.
Designed with wannabe Formula 1 racing moguls in mind, F1 Manager 2022 allows players to immerse themselves in all of the strategic aspects of the world’s fastest motorsport. Naturally, our F1 Manager 2022 guide will provide you with the details on everything from the F1 Manager 2022 release date, early access and PC specifications, through to key features in F1 Manager 2022 in order to ensure you stay in pole position.
It's not a wildly comprehensive look at the game, but it does give a lot of vital information. For instance, I had missed hearing about this before:
It’s also worth noting that despite its title, F1 Manager 2022 also lets aspiring motorsport bosses take control of Formula 2 and 3 teams too.
I'm not sure how much fidelity there is regarding F2 and F3 since they are spec series unlike F1. However, it's another thing I'll try to report about when the game is released in a couple of days.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And the game has been released! Lots to take in, even before going past the first day in the game. I've decided to go as team principle for Aston Martin on my first playthrough. The first screen you deal with, your dashboard or home page. The pop-up at the top is the tutorial guide that can be enabled to guide the player through the first time looking at each new page. The more cynical among you might notice that the narrator is woman of color, no doubt a pleasing choice to Formula One officials who have been criticized for the lack of diversity in the sport :wink:
Enlarge Image

I won't go through all the management screens, as there are at least a couple of dozen of them. But take a gander at the finances screen to understand we are talking about big money here.
Enlarge Image

And this is a nice feature I hadn't heard about before, technical regulations can change from year to year, necessitating new part designs and perhaps new contracts for things like engines. Otherwise you would just be racing to the 2022 regulations year after year.
Enlarge Image

And finally another nice touch, I'm getting an email asking if some money can be spend to hold a season kick off party for the team. It will improve driver and staff morale and hey, ten grand is just a drop in the bucket of a six figure budget! :D
Enlarge Image

OK, enough for now, I'll try to add more content when we get to the first race weekend. Please post any questions!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Now this is interesting. I just got an email from my technical chief, he's concerned that we have a low stock of the new suspension parts we just designed and manufactured. He thinks we should make some extra parts just in case. Very cool that the game keeps me aware of this.
Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:51 pm And this is a nice feature I hadn't heard about before, technical regulations can change from year to year, necessitating new part designs and perhaps new contracts for things like engines.
That was part of the original game as well.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've played through two race weekends and am in the middle of the Australian GP and so far the team management part of the game looks good, lots of detail but not too obscure to figure it out. The actual race weekend stuff, well, it is as I thought, a lot of sizzle but the steak is not that good. Not that it's bad, but considering the history of racing management sims out there, Frontier had a lot of examples to look at to figure out how to do justice to their Formula One license. And I think they have come up short.

Sure, there are a lot of pretty camera views, but you aren't watching cars actually race, but rather a graphical representation of their position on the track calculated by an algorithm (good gosh, I spelled algorithm without using spell check!). So what appears to be two cars fighting side by side is really the calculation showing that they are running just about the same speed. I've watched two cars run side by side for a lap or more where in real life they would never be able to do so. Again, not that it's bad, but Motorsport Manager actually did this better with actual passing attempts and completed passes.

As for having audio clips from the drivers and the race engineers, these get repetitive really quick, since they use the same ones over and over :roll:. Only in an unusual situation do you actually hear something new, like Lance Stroll cursing (it is actually bleeped :wink:) when he gets passed.

The audio commentary by David Croft, the main F1 commentator for Sky Sports, again suffers from repetitiveness and the need for the audio clips to be generic, like "there's a lockup" or "[_____] has spun!". And some of them are downright silly, like Crofty saying that there's be a catastrophic crash and the replay shows one car clipping the wing of another. The replays I do have to say are pretty nice, although again generic, a spin is the same sequence except the overlay of the graphics of the car changes. Again, not that it's bad, but it feels like it could have been better.

And another thing I feel where the developer didn't get it right was the practice sessions. You can just let the game simulate them for you and that's fine. But if you want to manually run them yourself, you end up with what was already very gamey in Motorsport Manager, you adjust sliders, let the drivers run a while, adjust the sliders again, etc. It is just not appealing to watch or to even spend time on. At least in Motorsport Manager you could concentrate on race pace or certain tires or wet weather running. And in Motorsport Manager there was a method to be picked up where in three runs you'd nail the setup while in this game it just seems like you are just really doing a pure game of hit or miss.

But to go back to the nicer parts, the way finances are handled in the game is done well, you can fairly easily understand cost caps and part development costs, stuff like that. And car part development and manufacturing is presented very well too. As a business management game it feels good so far.

So, in summary, if you have been watching that Netflix F1 series and would like to get a good feel of what that world is like, this is a pretty decent way to get a feel for it. I've had a lot of quibbles listed above, but I'm approaching it from the standpoint of some who has spent hundreds of hours over the years watching F1 and so tend to be rather critical. I suspect most folks would find it an enjoyable game and really I do too :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oh, and before I forget, the silly game screen during a race shows an almost constant threat of rain, from 5% up to 40%, but with a clear blue sky. And this is constant, no matter whether you're racing in Bahrain or Australia. I think it's a bug because if it's not it's worthless. You can develop a weather center to fine tune your forecasts, but this is ridiculous. Again, Motorsport Manager did this right, you get a weather forecast that is correct for a certain amount of time, and that amount of time is longer the more development you put into your weather forecasting center.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oops, another problem with F1M22, and that is the safety car system. I saw this mentioned in a review, but now I've seen it in the game. When you get the safety car coming out in a race, not the Virtual Safety Car (VSC) but a real safety car, the cars are supposed to pack up behind the safety car. Only in F1M22 they didn't. The pretty 3D graphics showed they did, but the actually car times intervals showed that they were all still at the same relative spacing they were before the safety car came out. Also, all lapped cars are supposed to be able to move around the safety car and unlap themselves. This didn't happen either. Again, this is something that was already working in Motorsport Manager so Frontier Developments really dropped the ball in not including this.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Sounds a little disappointing. I aim to get this in fact for early release however i had the option to buy a PS5 so spent £450 on that instead so a little short of cash presently but it seems this will be worth a patch or 2 before purchasing. in all likelihood it may take a couple of versions before it's where it really needs to be.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Reemul wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:30 am Sounds a little disappointing. I aim to get this in fact for early release however i had the option to buy a PS5 so spent £450 on that instead so a little short of cash presently but it seems this will be worth a patch or 2 before purchasing. in all likelihood it may take a couple of versions before it's where it really needs to be.
Yup, I'm now holding off playing it anymore till a patch or two.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I've also got the game, and took it to my 2nd Gran Prix, but I'm also holding off for a bit.

That being said, they have released a Patch and speak about their plans for future patches, etc.

Update 1.6 for F1 Manager 2022 is rolling out now on Steam!

Update 1.6 addresses a number of reported issues since launch, but we are aware of other common reports from players, on subjects including tyre performance, which our team are currently investigating. Work is ongoing on an additional post-launch update, to be released in the coming weeks, that aims to further address more of the hot topic reports and feedback from the F1 Manager 2022 community. Thank you!

PATCH NOTES

AI
- Further adjustments to AI teams’ behaviour when signing reserve drivers

Cars
- Fixed Alpha Tauri livery appearing offset from car body
- Fixed issue with livery appearance on Scuderia AlphaTauri and Oracle Red Bull Racing cars

Car Parts and Development
- Fixed issue causing any newly-fitted gearboxes to incorrectly inherit the wear/damage levels of the previous gearbox
- Reduced car performance impact of adding ‘Focus’ to new part designs

Cutscenes
- Fixed instances of floating tyres appearing during some cutscenes
- Fixed issue causing the cutscene camera to sometimes appear underground
- Fixed issue that caused commentary to mention drivers being at the front of the grid, when they were at the back of the grid

Pit Stops
- Fixed visual issues when a team ‘double stacks’ their pit stops
- Player Profile
- All-time records for the highest ever income in a season, and the highest ever team rating, are now stored in-game

Race Simulation
- Fixed the issue of incomplete laps times being included when looking for the fastest qualifying lap
- Fixed an issue causing cars to repeatedly teleporting back to the garage after a DNF
- Yellow flags will no longer be shown for cars already returned to the garage after the chequered flag
- Fixed issue where drivers who had only completed their out lap are listed at the top of the standings after a Practice session
- Further balancing of potential track incidents at Zandvoort
- Fixed an issue causing tyres to be treated as ‘fresh’ tyres when comparing the lap time and ‘life time’ in Qualifying options screen 

Stability/Performance
- Fixed crash that could occur when attempting to launch the game on PC
- Fixed hard lock that could occur during the ‘lights out’ sequence at the start of a race
- Increased performance when advancing time when playing later seasons
- Fixed a softlock in onboarding if the Race Preparation tutorial is started whilst the car part fitting tutorial is in progress
- Fixes for instances of a soft lock that could occur during replays
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Update 1.8 is out.
Spoiler:
Update 1.8 is rolling out now on Steam!

This update looks to address a number of hot topics and issues brought up via community feedback, as well as general bug fixes.

Thank you once again for your patience and support as we worked on getting this update brought to you. As always, please continue to feedback any issues you encounter using our Issue Tracker Tool

Patch notes:

Gameplay
Adjusted tyre performance deltas, degradation rates, and performance during degradation for all compounds, across all weather types
Updated fuel delta display to improve readability and stability. Fuel delta is now measured in kilograms (KG) and is relative to the expected fuel load at the current point in the race
Updated behaviour of backmarkers and slower-moving cars, so they move aside more effectively when required
Further adjustments to car part development focus and attribute trade-offs to help balance player progress vs. other teams
Improvements to car behaviour when racing side-by-side, reducing instances of unnecessary slowing and ‘concertina effect’
Improvements to AI strategic behaviour during wet weather conditions
Fixed an issue where the Safety Car would pull aside to let cars pass by if the race leader entered the pits
Fixed an issue where saving on a specific screen would cause all 20 cars to appear during Q2
Added super-wide monitor support, including fix for gameplay UI appearing in the centre of the display
Minor adjustments to starting car performance, starting Facility levels, and board performance expectations for a small number of teams to align with their real-world performance (will only take effect in new saves created after this update is installed)

General Stability
Fixed multiple crashes caused by various events, including invalid qualification grids and tyre types
Fixed instance of hard-lock when changing stint compound type to a compound the player has run out of in Strategy View
Fixed multiple reported soft-locks and progress blockers in the tutorial sequence

Drivers & Staff
  • Multiple corrections made to staff information, including age and accompanying photos
    Fixed an issue where drivers would remain in a bookmarked slot after retiring
    Achievements & Trophies
  • Fixes for multiple instances of Achievements/Trophies not triggering correctly, including ‘Constructors’ Champion’ and ‘First of Many’. Achievements/Trophies that players have earned, but not triggered, should unlock after the player finishes their next race, after installing Update 1.8
    Cars
    Fixed a small hole in the car model for several cars

Cinematics
    Fixed an issue where tyres would sometimes appear duplicated in cutscenes
    Stopped instances of rain passing through the ceilings of pit buildings
    Fixed a soft-lock when opening the Options menu during some cutscenes
    Reduced instances of major garage reactions to minor race incidents, such as a car running wide

Circuits
    Updated Miami International Autodrome track map in the 'Circuits' menu to add tags for corners 17,18, and 19

Facilities
    Controller: Fixed bindings for right shoulder buttons not working in ‘Overview’ and ‘Usage’ tabs

Pit Stops
    Resolved an issue where unattached tyres would appear in pit lane
    Fixed trackside camera focus for second car when ‘double stacking’ cars for pit stops

Steam
    Added on-screen keyboard support for Steam Deck and Steam Big Picture Mode
    Resolved issue causing the game to launch Steam VR when a VR headset is connected

Update 1.6 addresses a number of reported issues since launch, but we are aware of other common reports from players, on subjects including tyre performance, which our team are currently investigating. Work is ongoing on an additional post-launch update, to be released in the coming weeks, that aims to further address more of the hot topic reports and feedback from the F1 Manager 2022 community. Thank you!

PATCH NOTES

AI

Cars
    - Fixed issue with livery appearance on Scuderia AlphaTauri and Oracle Red Bull Racing cars

- Fixed issue causing any newly-fitted gearboxes to incorrectly inherit the wear/damage levels of the previous gearbox

Cutscenes
    - Fixed issue that caused commentary to mention drivers being at the front of the grid, when they were at the back of the grid

Pit Stops
    - Player Profile
    - All-time records for the highest ever income in a season, and the highest ever team rating, are now stored in-game

Race Simulation
    - Fixed the issue of incomplete laps times being included when looking for the fastest qualifying lap
    - Fixed an issue causing cars to repeatedly teleporting back to the garage after a DNF
    - Yellow flags will no longer be shown for cars already returned to the garage after the chequered flag
    - Fixed issue where drivers who had only completed their out lap are listed at the top of the standings after a Practice session
    - Fixed an issue causing tyres to be treated as ‘fresh’ tyres when comparing the lap time and ‘life time’ in Qualifying options screen 

Stability/Performance
    - Fixed hard lock that could occur during the ‘lights out’ sequence at the start of a race
    - Fixed a softlock in onboarding if the Race Preparation tutorial is started whilst the car part fitting tutorial is in progress
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:05 pm Update 1.8 is out.
Spoiler:
Update 1.8 is rolling out now on Steam!

This update looks to address a number of hot topics and issues brought up via community feedback, as well as general bug fixes.

Thank you once again for your patience and support as we worked on getting this update brought to you. As always, please continue to feedback any issues you encounter using our Issue Tracker Tool

Patch notes:

Gameplay
Adjusted tyre performance deltas, degradation rates, and performance during degradation for all compounds, across all weather types
Updated fuel delta display to improve readability and stability. Fuel delta is now measured in kilograms (KG) and is relative to the expected fuel load at the current point in the race
Updated behaviour of backmarkers and slower-moving cars, so they move aside more effectively when required
Further adjustments to car part development focus and attribute trade-offs to help balance player progress vs. other teams
Improvements to car behaviour when racing side-by-side, reducing instances of unnecessary slowing and ‘concertina effect’
Improvements to AI strategic behaviour during wet weather conditions
Fixed an issue where the Safety Car would pull aside to let cars pass by if the race leader entered the pits
Fixed an issue where saving on a specific screen would cause all 20 cars to appear during Q2
Added super-wide monitor support, including fix for gameplay UI appearing in the centre of the display
Minor adjustments to starting car performance, starting Facility levels, and board performance expectations for a small number of teams to align with their real-world performance (will only take effect in new saves created after this update is installed)

General Stability
Fixed multiple crashes caused by various events, including invalid qualification grids and tyre types
Fixed instance of hard-lock when changing stint compound type to a compound the player has run out of in Strategy View
Fixed multiple reported soft-locks and progress blockers in the tutorial sequence

Drivers & Staff
  • Multiple corrections made to staff information, including age and accompanying photos
    Fixed an issue where drivers would remain in a bookmarked slot after retiring
    Achievements & Trophies
  • Fixes for multiple instances of Achievements/Trophies not triggering correctly, including ‘Constructors’ Champion’ and ‘First of Many’. Achievements/Trophies that players have earned, but not triggered, should unlock after the player finishes their next race, after installing Update 1.8
    Cars
    Fixed a small hole in the car model for several cars

Cinematics
    Fixed an issue where tyres would sometimes appear duplicated in cutscenes
    Stopped instances of rain passing through the ceilings of pit buildings
    Fixed a soft-lock when opening the Options menu during some cutscenes
    Reduced instances of major garage reactions to minor race incidents, such as a car running wide

Circuits
    Updated Miami International Autodrome track map in the 'Circuits' menu to add tags for corners 17,18, and 19

Facilities
    Controller: Fixed bindings for right shoulder buttons not working in ‘Overview’ and ‘Usage’ tabs

Pit Stops
    Resolved an issue where unattached tyres would appear in pit lane
    Fixed trackside camera focus for second car when ‘double stacking’ cars for pit stops

Steam
    Added on-screen keyboard support for Steam Deck and Steam Big Picture Mode
    Resolved issue causing the game to launch Steam VR when a VR headset is connected

PATCH NOTES

AI

Cars

Cutscenes

Pit Stops
    - Player Profile

Race Simulation

Stability/Performance
I tried this today. The patch does seem to have addressed the issue with tire (or tyre :wink:) deg. I'm not up yet to spending a few more hours on it right now to test out the other fixes, but overall the devs do seem to be going in the right direction.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, so much for this game. F1 Manager 2022 community in uproar as Frontier ends major updates 2 months after release. My italics.
F1 Manager 2022, which—if your memory stretches back that far—you might recall released on August 30, will no longer be releasing major updates after its next one. In a post to the game's subreddit, a Frontier community manager said that, "To ensure upcoming F1 Manager projects realise their potential," the game's next scheduled update will be the "last significant update that addresses player-reported feedback, or suggested changes and additions". The community was not thrilled.

"Any potential updates following this would be minor patches that do not noticeably affect gameplay," continues the community manager's post, and "Key reports and requests around F1 Manager 2022 from the community that are yet to be resolved" will instead be taken forward and "prioritised as we create future iterations in this franchise". Further posts from Frontier on the subreddit even describe specific, ongoing bugs that won't be fixed in this game but will be addressed in future releases.

It would have been better not to say that last bit at all. It turns out that telling people you're still paying attention to their complaints, but only so you can fix them in the next game, isn't much of a crowd-pleaser. Already the subreddit is awash with fans decrying the decision, pledging not to buy another Frontier game (opens in new tab), and pleading with the company to reverse the move.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Madden used to do this every year. And often, they'd never truly fix the issue in favor of some new headline 'feature' they added.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:38 pm Well, so much for this game. F1 Manager 2022 community in uproar as Frontier ends major updates 2 months after release. My italics.
F1 Manager 2022, which—if your memory stretches back that far—you might recall released on August 30, will no longer be releasing major updates after its next one. In a post to the game's subreddit, a Frontier community manager said that, "To ensure upcoming F1 Manager projects realise their potential," the game's next scheduled update will be the "last significant update that addresses player-reported feedback, or suggested changes and additions". The community was not thrilled.

"Any potential updates following this would be minor patches that do not noticeably affect gameplay," continues the community manager's post, and "Key reports and requests around F1 Manager 2022 from the community that are yet to be resolved" will instead be taken forward and "prioritised as we create future iterations in this franchise". Further posts from Frontier on the subreddit even describe specific, ongoing bugs that won't be fixed in this game but will be addressed in future releases.

It would have been better not to say that last bit at all. It turns out that telling people you're still paying attention to their complaints, but only so you can fix them in the next game, isn't much of a crowd-pleaser. Already the subreddit is awash with fans decrying the decision, pledging not to buy another Frontier game (opens in new tab), and pleading with the company to reverse the move.
Oops, Frontier realized that the above wasn't a very smart public relations move. The statement below was released this morning.
Enlarge Image