All Things DeSantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

waitingtoconnect

Re: All Things DeSantis

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Would be worried to own a chuckie cheese in Florida right now…
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

For people so opposed to child molestation, it sure is all they think/talk about.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:00 am For people so opposed to child molestation, it sure is all they think/talk about.
It's all code.

They don't really care about pedophilia any more than most other people, but they're working overtime to associate the "pedophile/groomer" tag with any form of nontraditional gender expression or behavior. This is their route to rolling back LGBTQ rights.

Likewise, fighting "wokeness" is their code for resisting and diminishing discussion of civil rights. This is their route to rolling back racial civil rights.

The next play (and the sequel to eliminating access to abortion) will almost certainly be a movement to "protect the family" by demonizing single-parent households, working mothers, etc. This will be their route to rolling back women's rights.

And so on and so on. They really are attempting to undo the social progress of the 20th century.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Middle finger to authority indeed.

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Something a little different from DeSantis:
To wit: Friday DeSantis signed into law a controversial bill that critics say is “ripe for abuse” by bad landlords.

The bill, HB 133, allows landlords in Florida to charge tenants a nonrefundable, limitless, recurring fee in lieu of a security deposit, or what's been dubbed “junk fees.”

Supporters of the bill — including corporate lobbying interests that stand to turn a profit from it — say it offers tenants an alternative to paying lump-sum security deposits that can often cost upward of one or maybe two months’ rent.

In Florida’s hot rental market, that could be thousands of dollars upfront.

There are no limits to the fees that landlords can charge as part of this alternative security deposit arrangement, so they could theoretically charge $25 per month, or they could charge $200 per month. “There’s no cap on the fees,” said Mobley.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jesus as if renting wasn't shitty enough. I can't freaking believe how much the rents are up in our area. 2,500 for a 2 bedroom apartment in the sticks? Freaking nuts.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

US judge blocks Florida ban on trans minor care in narrow ruling, says ‘gender identity is real’
A federal judge temporarily blocked portions of a new Florida law championed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis that bans transgender minors from receiving puberty blockers, saying in a Tuesday ruling that gender identity is real and the state has no rational basis for denying patients treatment.

Judge Robert Hinkle issued a preliminary injunction, saying three transgender children can continue receiving treatment. The lawsuit challenges the law DeSantis signed shortly before he announced a run for president.

“Gender identity is real. The record makes this clear,” Hinkle said, adding that even a witness for the state agreed.
Hinkle’s ruling was narrowly focused on the three children whose parents brought the suit.
Hinkle, a Clinton appointee who in 2014 ruled Florida’s ban on same-sex marriages was unconstitutional, said people who mistakenly believe gender identity is a choice also “tend to disapprove all things transgender and so oppose medical care that supports a person’s transgender existence.”

Banning treatment for minors ignores risks patients might face, Hinkle said.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Artificial intelligence is hitting the campaign trail. This week, a video from Republican presidential candidate Ron DeSantis included apparently fake images of former President Donald Trump hugging Anthony Fauci. It's the latest example of how rapidly evolving AI tools are supercharging political attacks by allowing politicians to blur the line between fact and fiction.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/08/11810974 ... -and-fauci
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Defiant wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:25 am
Artificial intelligence is hitting the campaign trail. This week, a video from Republican presidential candidate Ron DeSantis included apparently fake images of former President Donald Trump hugging Anthony Fauci. It's the latest example of how rapidly evolving AI tools are supercharging political attacks by allowing politicians to blur the line between fact and fiction.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/08/11810974 ... -and-fauci
How is that not libel?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oligarchs are throwing big dollars at DeSantis to the point they need to step up their spend to paper over his complete inability to connect with voters on his own.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Federal court halts Florida’s drag ban, calling it attempt to ‘suppress the speech’ rights of performers
A federal court temporarily halted Florida’s controversial restrictions on drag performances, warning the law was overbroad and could risk infringing on free speech rights.

The SB1438 law, signed in May by Republican governor Ron DeSantis, is “dangerously susceptible to standardless, overbroad enforcement which could sweep up substantial protected speech,” US judge Gregory Presnell wrote in his ruling.

Far from a neutral attempt to protect children, as its backers have sometimes claimed, the law is an admitted attempt to “specifically suppress the speech of drag queen performers,” Judge Presnell wrote.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

TIL that DeSantos tortured prisoners at Gitmo. You can't handle the truth.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Too funny!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

Washington Post
The administration of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) steered $92 million last year in leftover federal coronavirus stimulus money to a controversial highway interchange project that directly benefits a top political donor, according to state records.

The decision by the Florida Department of Transportation to use money from the 2021 American Rescue Plan for the I-95 interchange at Pioneer Trail Road near Daytona Beach fulfilled a years-long effort by Mori Hosseini, a politically connected housing developer who owns two large tracts of largely forested land abutting the planned interchange. The funding through the DeSantis administration, approved shortly after the governor’s reelection, expedited the project by more than a decade, according to state documents.

Government documents obtained by The Washington Post through open-records requests show a steady relationship between DeSantis and Hosseini in recent years. The governor’s office occasionally received requests for DeSantis to attend events or support proposals from Hosseini, and DeSantis extended invitations to Hosseini in return for events in Tallahassee.

Hosseini helped DeSantis arrange a round of golf at Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia in 2018, according to the Tampa Bay Times. A year later, Hosseini donated a golf simulator that retails for at least $27,500 to the governor’s mansion, according to records previously obtained by The Post. In the 2022 campaign cycle, companies controlled by Hosseini gave at least $361,000 to political groups that benefited the DeSantis reelection campaign, according to state campaign finance records. Hosseini’s plane has been repeatedly used by DeSantis, according to a Post analysis.

One prominent local supporter of the project is Hosseini’s sister, Maryam Ghyabi-White, a regional transportation consultant at Ghyabi Consulting, who DeSantis reappointed in 2021 to the St. Johns River Water Management District Governing Board. The water district, at the staff level, provided a permit for the project, without direct input from the board, she said.

However, the rules do not bar in-kind donations of private plane travel for political functions or campaign contributions. Hosseini’s purchase of a golf simulator for the cabana at the governor’s mansion was approved by a state attorney because it was given as a loan to the mansion, not to DeSantis personally, according to documents obtained by The Post.
Don't dare call it corruption!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pork?!

Where are my clutching pearls?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:10 am Pork?!

Where are my clutching pearls?
Serious? This goes well beyond pork. It's definitely in there but the plane rides, the conflicted political appointments, the timing of the "pork" award, etc. It looks pretty bad for DeSantis on the 'drain the swamp' front. We suspected he was grifting but now we have some receipts.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It’s 2023. I haven’t heard anyone mention ‘draining the swamp’ in so long, I’ve almost forgotten it was once a widely used phrase.

It’s almost comical, post-Trump, and definitely quaint. Even the people who were shouting it the most, and most loudly, have stopped.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:05 pm It’s 2023. I haven’t heard anyone mention ‘draining the swamp’ in so long, I’ve almost forgotten it was once a widely used phrase.

It’s almost comical, post-Trump, and definitely quaint. Even the people who were shouting it the most, and most loudly, have stopped.
DeSantis literally said that phrase during his gubernatorial campaign and is using it in his current stump speech as soon as 2 days ago. Well he updated it to 'break the swamp'.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How do you break a swamp? That’s like saying he’s gonna smash water.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Caligula has entered the chat
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:21 pm Caligula has entered the chat
:lol: :clap:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Florida is a top to bottom loonie bin. They want to encapsulate toxic waste into asphalt and pave roads with it. Ok.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Grift while you can, little man. The state is going to go broke from lawsuits.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:37 pm Grift while you can, little man. The state is going to go broke from lawsuits.
Its cute that you think he cares what happens to the State.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Remus West wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:37 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:37 pm Grift while you can, little man. The state is going to go broke from lawsuits.
2 separate sentences. But more importantly, better grift while the grifting is good. No more eggs after you kill the goose.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GreenGoo wrote:
Remus West wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:37 pm
2 separate sentences. But more importantly, better grift while the grifting is good. No more eggs after you kill the goose.
The plan is to break the state for his own benefit and be elsewhere when the Finding Out tsunami hits.

If he doesn't get the presidential bid, I'm sure he'll pivot to senator or lobbying, etc..

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:00 pm If he doesn't get the presidential bid, I'm sure he'll pivot to senator or lobbying, etc..
Oh hell, now I am imagining Senate majority leader Ron DeSantis. I mean I expect nobody likes him enough for that to happen, but it doesn't stop my brain from thinking it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Seriously?

DeSantis is a joke. Trump will eat him alive.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: Why the fuck does Tommy Shelby from Peaky Blinders suddenly appear in the middle of that montage of moronic meanderings?
He won. Period.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I think they're trying to show that DeSantis is tough and manly vs pro LGBTQ Trump? Using shots of perfectly normal and admirable tough guys like Tommy Shelby, Christian Bale from American Psycho and Brad Pitt as Achilles???
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There are Backstreet Boys who look tougher.

DeSantis is like, what…5 foot nothing? He has the muscle mass of a sparrow.
He won. Period.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:08 pm There are Backstreet Boys who look tougher.

Exactly. DeSantis is not going to win any tough guy battles, regardless of how much he s reams about how tough he is terrorizing the LGBTQ community.

So pathetic. And pathetically transparent. And inauthentic except for the fact that it aptly shows exactly how not tough DeSantis actually is.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That ad seemed pretty gay.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:44 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:08 pm There are Backstreet Boys who look tougher.

Exactly. DeSantis is not going to win any tough guy battles, regardless of how much he s reams about how tough he is terrorizing the LGBTQ community.

So pathetic. And pathetically transparent. And inauthentic except for the fact that it aptly shows exactly how not tough DeSantis actually is.
"I'm more toxic than the rapist!"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’d love to see a cage match between him and dough boy poster child, Ted Cruz, who also always seems desperate to look tough.

These are the flabbiest, gurliest of men. Yes, that’s a Hans and Franz reference. :D
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Kurth wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:06 pm

Seriously?

DeSantis is a joke. Trump will eat him alive.
That is some weird s***
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

So much so that I had second thoughts about whether the DeSantis War Room account was actually linked to DeSantis. But it is:
’DeSantis War Room’ Launched for Rapid Response to Attacks on Ron DeSantis
TALLAHASSEE (FLV) – The DeSantis campaign launched the “DeSantis War Room” Twitter account to fight off attacks on Gov. Ron DeSantis as he runs for re-election. “Follow us for rapid response to attacks on @RonDeSantisFL (https://twitter.com/RonDeSantisFL) from legacy media and left-wing extremists (yes, that’s redundant),” the account’s Twitter bio said.

DeSantis’ former press secretary, Christina Pushaw, is now the Rapid Response Director for the governor’s campaign team. “Wow, thanks so much to everyone who has followed @DeSantisWarRoom (https://twitter.com/DeSantisWarRoom) so far!” Pushaw said. “Great to see our team’s videos are resonating. War Room is pushing back on Charlie Crist & his allies in politics & media.”
That’s pre-presidential campaign, but it seems clear the DeSantis War Room is official.

Fucking nuts.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

"(FLV)" ? What's the V?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Meal wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:26 pm "(FLV)" ? What's the V?
Florida's Voice.