All Things DeSantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Re: All Things DeSantis

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:I'll take "Stories I never thought I'd read" for $500, please:
Roads in Florida could soon include phosphogypsum — a radioactive waste material from the fertilizer industry — under a bill lawmakers have sent to Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Conservation groups are urging DeSantis to veto the bill, saying phosphogypsum would hurt water quality and put road construction crews at a higher risk of cancer.

HB 1191 would compel the Florida Transportation Department to study using phosphogypsum in paving projects, calling for "demonstration projects using phosphogypsum in road construction aggregate material to determine its feasibility as a paving material."

If it's approved, phosphogypsum would join pavement aggregates such as crushed stone, gravel and sand. In recent years, the Federal Highway Administration says, industrial byproducts and reclaimed materials have also been used as aggregates.

The bill sets a deadline of April 1, 2024, giving the transportation agency less than a year to complete its work and make a recommendation. The Republican-dominated Florida Legislature approved the measure by a wide margin.
How does it manage to have uranium in it is my question.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

EPA
Phosphogypsum, a waste product from manufacturing fertilizer, emits radon, a radioactive gas. It also contains the radioactive elements uranium, thorium and radium.
Most of the naturally-occurring uranium, thorium and radium found in phosphate rock ends up in this waste. Uranium and thorium decay to radium and radium decays to radon, a radioactive gas. Because the wastes are concentrated, phosphogypsum is more radioactive than the original phosphate rock.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The evil is almost cartoonish. It boggles my mind. Further proof of simulation theory I suppose.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:11 pm How does it manage to have uranium in it is my question.
It's radon.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Maybe it will kill the Covid.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:55 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:11 pm How does it manage to have uranium in it is my question.
It's radon.
Which comes from the natural decay of uranium.
The decay chain that begins with Uranium-238 culminates in Lead-206, after forming intermediates such as Uranium-234, Thorium-230, Radium-226, and Radon-222. Also called the "decay series.". Each series has its own unique decay chain. The decay products within the chain are always radioactive.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Thanks OO hivemind!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I feel like the idea of radioactive decay is beyond most of the GOP voters. At least most of the Drumpf true believers.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm surprised this bill doesn't stipulate that it's only intended for roads on Disney property
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

You will never defeat our pro-criminal agenda.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can't even comment on that Penny situation; DeSantis is beyond disgusting. Speaking of which - he's now banned credit card companies in FL from tracking the purchases of firearms and ammunition, because freedom:
The bill stops companies from helping track suspicious weapons purchases—an increasing concern while the United States is flooded with random shootings and mass shootings essentially every few hours.

Instead, DeSantis in rapid succession has made it easier for potentially violent people to conceal carry guns with no abandon, while making it more difficult for law enforcement to proactively respond when those carriers may have nefarious intentions.

Companies found in violation of the bill will be fined up to $10,000.
Remember, he's very concerned about "big government" tracking things and monitoring your business. Unless you're reading specific books. Or LGBTQ+. Or thinking about an abortion.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:13 am
Most people forget the part of the parable where the Good Samaritan strangles a beggar.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:39 am You will never defeat our pro-criminal agenda.
Yeah, I had the same thought. How they caught wind of that agenda is beyond me, we had that pretty hidden I thought.... but no matter... They will have no luck against our pro-criminal agenda...
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:33 pm Most people forget the part of the parable where the Good Samaritan strangles a beggar.
Seriously. And man, what a failed transplant of 'the Good Samaritan'. Is the idea there that Daniel Penny would also choke his neighbor?
Holman

Post by Holman »

The logic is really sick.

For those who skipped Sunday school, the Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10: 30-27) goes like this:

A "lawyer" (and a fellow Jew) asks Jesus, "Who is my neighbor?"

In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii[a] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

“Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”
The man beaten by robbers is also presumably Jewish, as are the priest and the Levite. Samaritans and Jews, meanwhile, were longstanding mutual enemies. (In the Western tradition, the ethnic antagonism baked into the scenario has more or less dropped away to the point where we casually use "Good Samaritan" to mean anyone who helps a stranger.)

You really have twist things around to made Jordan Neely's killer the "Good Samaritan" in this story. It only makes sense if the crowd who were annoyed by Neely's weird behavior are treated as the assaulted traveler, and Neely himself is the assaulter (although he assaulted no one). Strangling Neely is thus treated as the equivalent of treating the "wounds" of the inconvenienced subway crowd.

Another angle on this is that "passing by on the other side of the road" is exactly what we do to the neediest members of society 99% of the time. (I know I do.) What Neely did was (however inarticulately) make it impossible to comfortably pass by and ignore him, and he died for it.

It's obscene, and it's totally of a piece with the right-wing characterization of the homeless as enemies of society.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

DeSantis making FL safer for kids
Under a new bill signed into law by Gov. Ron DeSantis, Florida teens won't be able to drive golf carts without proper identification. The new law is affecting communities across the state.

According to HB 949, golf cart drivers under 18 must be at least 15 with a learner's permit or 16 with a driver's license. Anyone who is 18 or older must have a valid government-issued ID. Previously, Florida law allowed a 14-year-old to drive a golf cart.
I guess this is a big issue in FL, which makes sense because I never really read about or see anything else FL-news related.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

There are a lot of people that drive golf carts around the neighborhoods. My town, and my own neighborhood, don’t have sidewalks. So the golf carts end up sharing the road with cars.

This one makes sense to me. It’s not a great change, but I just always assumed you needed to have a license.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

msteelers wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:00 am There are a lot of people that drive golf carts around the neighborhoods. My town, and my own neighborhood, don’t have sidewalks. So the golf carts end up sharing the road with cars.

This one makes sense to me. It’s not a great change, but I just always assumed you needed to have a license.
It's a no-brainer... Also, a total bonus: the young kids can blame the Republicans for their lost joy. :horse:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jesus H Christ. He really is more dangerous than TFG, isn’t he? :shock:
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:19 pm Jesus H Christ. He really is more dangerous than TFG, isn’t he? :shock:
But he lacks the entire NBC "The Apprentice" audience.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There are enough morons to go around, unfortunately.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:22 pm There are enough morons to go around, unfortunately.
Agreed...

But they don't spread themselves among the many moron lords equally... and as voters, they tend to accumulate at the foot of the most moron king of them all. Anyone that kinda likes DeSantis, will be more than willing to toss a vote for President Trump.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It kinda feels like a State governor shouldn't randomly be allowed to do this:
Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Tuesday that he is sending more than 1,100 state law enforcement agents and National Guard members to Texas’ border with Mexico. The number is a tenfold increase compared to a similar move in 2021, and comes just weeks ahead of his expected presidential launch.

“The impacts of Biden’s Border Crisis are felt by communities across the nation, and the federal government’s abdication of duty undermines the sovereignty of our country and the rule of law,” DeSantis said in a statement.

What DeSantis will be sending:

800 members of the Florida National Guard;
200 agents (in teams of 40) from the state Department of Law Enforcement;
101 state highway patrol troopers;
20 agents from the state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the Department of Emergency Management;
5 fixed-wing aircrafts;
17 unmanned drones;
10 waterborne vessels.

DeSantis' office said the personnel will be at the border for 30 days, with possible extensions. The announcement comes just weeks before the June start of hurricane season.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:19 pm
Gov. Ron DeSantis... and comes just weeks ahead of his expected presidential launch...
This should mean we only have "weeks" before DeSantis is smooshed into total oblivion.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm still shocked there is a campaign coming. DeSantis is full on delusional. His schtick doesn't play with Republicans anymore much less Americans. He's a sad man who doesn't realize how unlikeable and silly he is.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:35 pm I'm still shocked there is a campaign coming. DeSantis is full on delusional. His schtick doesn't play with Republicans anymore much less Americans. He's a sad man who doesn't realize how unlikeable and silly he is.
Who starts their national Presidential Campaign (presumably) with the premise of "I destroyed Disney" ?

It's absurd.

I'm also shocked that there is a campaign coming.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

DisneySantis doesn't seem to be a thing you want to hang on your neck to grow your voter base. It could work in the primaries, though. The primaries seem to be defined by publicly high profile hateful action.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If Disney decides it's worth the financial hit and withdraws even a small investment in Florida, DeSantis is going to find out his little vendetta will end his political career. Losing jobs trumps making a goddamn ephemeral point.
Covfefe!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

A Democrat defeats DeSantis’s handpicked GOP candidate for Mayor of Jacksonville. That’s not exactly a show of strength.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Looking forward to how DeSantis will now push to have laws passed like TX where they limit the governing powers of big cities.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:19 am A Democrat defeats DeSantis’s handpicked GOP candidate for Mayor of Jacksonville. That’s not exactly a show of strength.
That was previously the largest city governed by a Republican.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Alefroth wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:44 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:19 am A Democrat defeats DeSantis’s handpicked GOP candidate for Mayor of Jacksonville. That’s not exactly a show of strength.
That was previously the largest city governed by a Republican.
This isn't DeSantis-related, but on a similar front: Colorado Springs' next mayor will not be a Republican. Colorado Springs is what would have until this week been described as a remarkably-strong Republican fortress. This is a crazy result.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That was mentioned in the same article I picked up the Jacksonville tidbit in. Good news.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Could put it elsewhere, but I think it should be chronicled under All Things DeSantis:
Today, Ron DeSantis posed with several children as he signed multiple laws targeting the transgender community. One law expands “Don’t Say Gay” to the 12th grade, bans books, and bans updating pronouns, making transition in a school environment much more difficult. Another uses obscenity laws to potentially target drag events, which has already led to pride parades being cancelled. Yet another bill bans gender affirming care for trans youth and bans nurse practitioners — the providers of nearly 80% of gender-affirming care — from treating trans adults. The most troubling bill, though, is a ban on transgender people in bathrooms that comes with criminal charges and jail sentences. The wording of the ban raises serious concerns that many transgender adults are in imminent danger of arrest once the law comes into effect.

House Bill 1521 will effectively give second-class citizen status to transgender people in Florida. The wording of the bill states that if a cisgender person is in the bathroom with a transgender person, an employee can tell the transgender person to leave. Should the transgender person not leave immediately for any reason, they will be charged with criminal trespass, which can carry sentences of up to 1 year in jail - likely a jail of the wrong gender identity, which will put trans people in immense danger of sexual assault.

Due to the way that laws go into effect in Florida, the bathroom ban will go into effect on July 1st - the day after Pride Month.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This is so fucking foul.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:53 pm Colorado Springs' next mayor will not be a Republican. Colorado Springs is what would have until this week been described as a remarkably-strong Republican fortress. This is a crazy result.
Home of the ProRodeo Hall of Fame and Focus on the Family.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:24 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:53 pm Colorado Springs' next mayor will not be a Republican. Colorado Springs is what would have until this week been described as a remarkably-strong Republican fortress. This is a crazy result.
Home of the ProRodeo Hall of Fame and Focus on the Family.
How did it happen? Did the GOP run the actual corpse of Jerry Falwell, or what?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Williams is currently a Colorado Springs city councilman. He served as Colorado’s secretary of state until early 2019 and before that was an El Paso County commissioner and the county’s clerk and recorder.

He said he wished Mobolade the best as mayor, noting that Republicans were split among candidates in the April 4 contest.

“I knew after the runoff was set that he had a substantial lead,” Williams said. “We closed the gap, but not enough… You had a number of Republicans running against each other in the first round, beating up on each other. And that had an effect that went into the second round.”