All Things DeSantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

All Things DeSantis

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm tired of trying to figure out what thread to put the latest DeSantis news in, so I'm starting this dedicated one. I'm also guessing it will be popular as he continues to push for national legitimacy.

But this Twitter thread is the reason I started it - because it crosses two (at least) topics. The first I'd already mentioned in the 21st Century Republican thread. Keep reading after the Tweet (which is filled with great pictures of what they're being taught) to see more:

Under a new civics program launched by Gov. DeSantis, the Florida DoE is partnering with Hillsdale College to offer professional training to public K-12 teachers. Here is what teachers were shown last week about:
But this part here, first reported in July of 2021 is beyond enraging:

Critical race theory, which explores the impact of slavery and racial injustice on society, is not directly taught in Florida schools. Talk of the concept, though, has enflamed conservative TV and the governor was quick to respond.
But at an Orlando charter school Tuesday, DeSantis promoted the need for improved civics education – and highlighted a $3,000 bonus program for teachers who complete training for a program called the “Florida civic seal of excellence.”

DeSantis said the state will pour $106 million into improving civics education – the biggest share, $65 million, being for the teacher bonus program. The money is from the federal CARES Act, approved last year to help states deal with the economic ravages of Covid-19.
I didn't know or didn't remember he was taking federal money earmarked for Covid-19 response and using it to pay teachers a bonus to attend these nonsense classes.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Re: All Things DeSantis

Post by hitbyambulance »

Gov. DeathSentence
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You did say all things:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

The thing is that DeSantis already looks like he has the stressed inch-thick skin produced by AI portraits of regular humans.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

DeSantis would be a very scary president.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/en ... aculty-be/

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) signed HB 233 Tuesday.
The legislation will require public universities to survey students and staff annually about their beliefs to assess “viewpoint diversity” on campuses

“It used to be thought that a university campus was a place where you’d be exposed to a lot of different ideas,” DeSantis said. “Unfortunately, now the norm is, these are more intellectually repressive environments,” he added.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess as we get closer to the school year, stories like this are going to start gaining traction:
A potential solution to a statewide teacher shortage issue has education leaders feeling as though Gov. Ron DeSantis' administration is undermining the qualifications of classroom instructors.

Last week, the Florida Department of Education announced that military veterans, as well as their spouses, would receive a five-year voucher that allows them to teach in the classroom despite not receiving a degree to do so. It's a move tied to the $8.6 million the state announced would be used to expand career and workforce training opportunities for military veterans and their spouses.

"There are many people who have gone through many hoops and hurdles to obtain a proper teaching certificate," said Carmen Ward, president of the Alachua County teachers union. "(Educators) are very dismayed that now someone with just a high school education can pass the test and can easily get a five-year temporary certificate."
This seems...like a really odd decision. I've been an adjunct for 13 years now and in no way do I feel qualified to teach K-12 - I wouldn't even know where to begin. How exactly does being a veteran or the spouse of a veteran qualify someone?
Teacher candidates must have a minimum of 60 college credits with a 2.5 GPA, and also must receive a passing score on the FLDOE subject area examination for bachelor’s level subjects.

Veterans must have a minimum of 48 months of military service completed with honorable/medical discharge. If hired by a school district, they have to have a teaching mentor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It's really weird.

I mean, let's say instead of the Military it was that anyone who has worked for at least 5 years in IT could work in the classroom.... and their spouses.
Even if one could make the argument for the IT Employee getting the nod, how would that transfer to their spouse !?

wtf. ?

It's suspicious as fuck, if you ask me.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Guessing that they assume there ex-military and their spouses are more likely to be cool with being armed teachers. Because that's coming.

Also they probably learn more right so won't object to don't say gay, etc.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Fuck Hillsdale College.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's what I was kinda thinking - big on discipline, trained to fight and comfortable around guns. I guess next they'll be saying if you are a police officer with DARE training you can teach social studies.

I don't understand how teacher's unions and teacher organizations aren't vocal about this. I'm a member of the AFT and there's not a peep. Nothing.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:34 pm Fuck Hillsdale College.
First, yes.

But what did I miss?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, the immediate problem is a teacher shortage. DeSantis doesn't want to respond to that by doing things like helping teachers avoid getting Covid, or by increasing pay or the like. So he needs bodies.

Military families and their spouses have a number of potential advantages: (1) helps him on his pledges to reduce unemployment among that group; (2) as a matter of politics, if there's criticism he can respond by "how DARE you say that the boys and girls in uniform aren't qualified to help teach our young people?!"; (3) he may figure that they're less likely to object to things like lax covid protocols.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

But the end result makes no sense. How on earth are the parents in these school districts going to not see the huge gaps in learning? DeSantis could deputize licensed plumbers as teachers but that doesn't mean they can actually do the job.

Unless you're suggesting the parents don't care and that they're just using the schools as glorified babysitters.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:44 pm DeSantis could deputize licensed plumbers as teachers but that doesn't mean they can actually do the job.
...licensed plumbers and their spouses! :ninja:
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:42 pm Well, the immediate problem is a teacher shortage. DeSantis doesn't want to respond to that by doing things like helping teachers avoid getting Covid, or by increasing pay or the like. So he needs bodies.

Military families and their spouses have a number of potential advantages: (1) helps him on his pledges to reduce unemployment among that group; (2) as a matter of politics, if there's criticism he can respond by "how DARE you say that the boys and girls in uniform aren't qualified to help teach our young people?!"; (3) he may figure that they're less likely to object to things like lax covid protocols.
(4) they are people who might align with his vision of "good governance". I agree with others. The "and their spouses" is an extra helping of WTF on top of a WTF burger.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:44 pm But the end result makes no sense. How on earth are the parents in these school districts going to not see the huge gaps in learning? DeSantis could deputize licensed plumbers as teachers but that doesn't mean they can actually do the job.

Unless you're suggesting the parents don't care and that they're just using the schools as glorified babysitters.
Yeah, setting aside the raw cynicism of this, that is the major downside from DeSantis's perspective. But the decision may be that this is the best alternative available to him - that poor teachers are better than no teachers at all.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:04 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:44 pm But the end result makes no sense. How on earth are the parents in these school districts going to not see the huge gaps in learning? DeSantis could deputize licensed plumbers as teachers but that doesn't mean they can actually do the job.

Yeah, setting aside the raw cynicism of this, that is the major downside from DeSantis's perspective. But the decision may be that this is the best alternative available to him - that poor teachers are better than no teachers at all.
He also might be inviting a fight with the unions/teacher's associations. "Look I proposed a solution that puts heros the classroom as positive role models but these elites..."
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:39 pm
First, yes.

But what did I miss?
As someone with multiple family members in Hillsdale, I endorse this message.

Teaching shortages make sense to have provisional temporary teachers. I remember allowing subs to act as teachers in some parts of my state in 90s and the requirements for subs going way down at that time as well. This was before all the private schools opened everywhere for school of choice. Nowadays it must be a madhouse around here. Makes me glad I opted out of teaching, even as I did everything but actually pay for my cert. Military spouses don't seem have any qualification requirements. I can only assume I'm missing something. There has to be more to the law, doesn't there?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:27 pm I can only assume I'm missing something. There has to be more to the law, doesn't there?
If we were in an era of good government, that would be a reasonable assumption. However, we are talking about 2022 Florida under Ron DeSantis so....probably safer to assume that things are worse than they appear.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Taking this idea seriously I could see this working if it was something that provided a ramp while scaling down the responsibility. These people simply can't be dumped in a classroom and expected to create lesson plans and teach multiple subjects. It'll be a shit show. This isn't one classroom pioneer days despite would delusions people harbor in their minds.

However I could see them creating a position called teacher's aide under the supervision of a properly certified teacher. Another component would be to force them to ramp towards some level of certification. Let's say they have this 5 year period in this new role. Every year they'd be required to show progress towards some level of competency. Perhaps target an associates degree with a teaching certification. Something. Otherwise the plan to dump soldiers and their spouses in is just nuts.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:27 pm There has to be more to the law, doesn't there?
As I understand it, it's not a law. The FDOE is granting waivers, which presumably they are allowed to do.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Making parents unhappy with public schools is a huge part of the right-wing agenda.

Sending in unqualified instructors under the guise of patriotism is kind of a stroke of genius.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This will undoubtedly result in masses of uneducated voters who aren't aware of issues and are more likely to vote based on whim and emotional appeals, while being limited to working as drones in corporate sweatshops warehouses, with only upper class families providing upper management to run those businesses.

Whatever is he thinking? :think:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Could put it in the LGBTQ+ thread, but because it's connected to DeSantis and how awful he is, it will go here.

Florida's Department of Education has issued a memo today stating that Florida schools should ignore new USDA guidance saying schools cannot discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in light of Bostock. This is legally, factually, and morally wrong.

This not only violates federal law, it also violates Florida state law. Schools will open themselves up to massive legal liability under Title IX private right of action lawsuits.

The DeSantis administration continues to be a cesspool of lawless hate for LGBTQ youth.
malchior

Post by malchior »

We should consider re-titling this the DeSantis Dictator Watch.

DeSantis fires an elected official...for reasons. And by reasons I mean made up banana republic reasons. The man is utterly dangerous and unfit for any office.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday suspended Tampa's elected prosecutor, Andrew Warren, for pledging not to use his office to go after people who seek and provide abortions or on doctors that provide gender affirming care to transgender people.

DeSantis also accused Warren of not pursuing criminals to the fullest extent of his powers as the state attorney of Hillsborough County.

"To take a position that you have veto powers over the laws of the state is untenable," DeSantis said at a press conference in Tampa surrounded by law enforcement.

The move by DeSantis, a Republican, to remove a Democrat twice elected by Hillsborough voters drew an immediate and sharp rebuke from Democratic state lawmakers and officials. Minority Leader Sen. Lauren Book said DeSantis was "behaving more like a dictator than 'America's governor.'"

And Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, a Democratic candidate for governor, called Warren's suspension "a politically motivated attack on a universally respected state attorney democratically elected to exercise prosecutorial discretion."

"Ron DeSantis is a pathetic bully," Fried said.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

This feels like an escalation of an incident Rick Scott had when he was governor. The state attorney for the Orlando area announced they wouldn't seek the death penalty, and the Governor yanked those cases from her. The state attorney appealed to the state Supreme Court and lost.

I remember being shocked at the time that the governor could/would step in like that. Sadly, it's not shocking at all that DeSantis didn't hesitate to take it so much further. He thinks he's a dictator and wants everyone in the state to fall in line with what he thinks is right. I hate living in this state.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Is there any question of the legality of this? And relatedly is the DA contesting this, or is this a done deal?

Looks like there's a Florida statute that seems to authorize this, so guessing that this isn't going to be reversed?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Apparently the Florida Senate can override it but...there is a Republican majority. FWIW I think it's nuts to allow a Governor to fire elected officials like this. A recall seems much more democratic.

Edit: Worse it was a Democratic elected official and he replaced him with someone he'd appointed as judge which means they are probably a Republican hardliner.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Wait... he fired someone that was elected and replaced them with an appointee? Wow. Seems like a great way to make sure that people you want are in elected positions.

I would have expected it to require a special election, or something.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Has this law ever been challenged before? Seems like it should be. Otherwise I imagine ALEC will be pushing these in red states across the country at some point.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:24 am Has this law ever been challenged before? Seems like it should be. Otherwise I imagine ALEC will be pushing these in red states across the country at some point.
You'd think. I looked at the other Rick Scott case msteelers mentioned briefly. Apparently a previous prosecutor announced they wouldn't seek the death penalty *ever* so Rick Scott issued an EO re-assigning death penalty eligible cases away from her - and yes she was elected. The FL Supreme Court reasoned that the narrow reassignment was within his powers. This recent move goes a lot farther so perhaps the prosecutor could and maybe should challenge it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

DeSantis on monkeypox:
With more than 500 cases reported in Florida, Gov. Ron DeSantis made it clear on Wednesday that Florida will not declare a state of emergency.

"You see some of these states declaring states of emergency. They are going to abuse those emergency powers to restrict your freedom. I guarantee you that's what will happen," DeSantis said.

Over email, WESH 2 asked the governor's office multiple questions including, 'would the governor reconsider his decision if cases increased?'

''Our public health decisions in Florida will be based on facts, not fear," a spokesperson for DeSantis' office responded.
I should note the emergency declarations other states are adopting are not about restricting your freedom to get monkeypox. Instead, they activate channels and powers that allow public health and OEM staffers to request, coordinate and receive financial and material aid from various agencies at a state, regional and federal level.

But he knows that already.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:30 pmI should note the emergency declarations other states are adopting are not about restricting your freedom to get monkeypox. Instead, they activate channels and powers that allow public health and OEM staffers to request, coordinate and receive financial and material aid from various agencies at a state, regional and federal level.

But he knows that already.
Yup. He is talking to his deplorables who don't know better and who he knows he can rile up. Sort of like how every bad employee I've ever managed here in NJ thinks a Declaration of Emergency during a snow storm means they *can't by law* be on the roads and can't be punished if they fail to report to work. :lol:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

They are going to abuse those emergency powers to restrict your freedom. I guarantee you that's what will happen,"
''Our public health decisions in Florida will be based on facts, not fear,"
:think:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote:
First, yes.

But what did I miss?
Thought it was in the link, but they are the ones driving the bus in all his "educational" legislating:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-p ... education/
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:15 pm
Unagi wrote:
First, yes.

But what did I miss?
Thought it was in the link, but they are the ones driving the bus in all his "educational" legislating:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-p ... education/
Yeah, sorry - I should also have come back and answered my own question. I mentioned your comment to my wife (*who also shares the sentiment)

My wife actually attended Hillsdale College!

She loved the campus, but hated the school's leadership/personality. She was there back in 1990/1994 era. She's massively liberal.

The scandal behind George Roche is ... well it's quite scandalous: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Roche_III
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Totally off-topic, but my tenure at Hillsdale College overlapped Unagi's wife's by 3 years, apparently.

And yes, fuck Hillsdale College.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm going to put this here as I am guessing the story in FL and what DeSantis did is about to get much, much more complicated.

NEWS: The little-known aviation company awarded the migrant "relocation" contract by the DeSantis administration purchased 6 helicopters from the Russian government in 2018 for $4[8] million. Other significant business with Kremlin-adjacent companies. The Russian government bodies involved in the transaction, the Ulan-Ude Aviation Plant, and its parent company Russian Helicopters were sanctioned this year for proving support to the Russian military in Ukraine. The Florida company awarded the migrant contract has also purchased aircraft parts from a Russian government contractor that is embroiled in an embezzlement scandal.
If you read down a bit more, people are also pointing out the company has officially listed 4 people as employees but took out a PPP loan with paperwork suggesting they had 30.

Weird, right?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Grifters all the way down.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter