All Things DeSantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: All Things DeSantis

Post by LordMortis »

Grifman wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:39 am DeSantis to write Disney movies:

. The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District is stacked with DeSantis cronies, including Bridget Ziegler, a proponent of his education policies; Ron Peri, who heads the Christian ministry the Gathering USA; and Michael Sasso, president of the Federalist Society’s Orlando chapter.
What a horrible state.

In the meantime, this morning CNBC was hammering how corporations have too much influence of government, which has been their growing general messaging for last few months as they become more and more editorialized in their approach to business news. I guess all of 80s corporations are people too conservatism is dead. Now it's private equity billionaires or bust.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Parks is about 28% of DIS revenue. To think that they would jeopardize the remaining 70ish% for it is crazy. What is DeSantis threatening?

YellowKing wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:14 pm I'd take a DeSantis Presidency over a second Trump term any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

It's argued that DeSantis would be "more dangerous" because he's smarter than Trump, but I'd argue the exact opposite. (This is a conclusion I've come to after a bit of recent thought - I'm sure at one point or another I may have agreed that DeSantis was the bigger danger). Much of Trump's danger came from the fact that he had absolutely no guardrails whatsoever. He doesn't obey societal norms. He's likely mentally ill, at least to the point of being a clinical narcissist. Those conditions make him act in an irrational manner, and irrationality equals chaos. Combine that chaos with the charisma of a cult leader, and you've got January 6th.

Though DeSantis would still be pushing his authoritarian rule, he'd at least be doing it within some semblance of rationality. And rationality can be dealt with. And his lack of cult charisma would at least tone down that aspect of the MAGA crowd.

In other words, if I had to be locked in a room with a disagreeable animal, I'll take the one without rabies.
Thing is, Trump showed us all how much you can get away with if you don't give fuck. DeSantis post Trump is a different DeSantis.

The choice is being locked in a room with a disagreeable animal with rabies or with a disagreeable animal bitten by the other animal with rabies. Yeah, the latter is slightly better odds but still a very good chance you get rabies.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:01 amIn the meantime, this morning CNBC was hammering how corporations have too much influence of government, which has been their growing general messaging for last few months as they become more and more editorialized in their approach to business news. I guess all of 80s corporations are people too conservatism is dead. Now it's private equity billionaires or bust.
If only there was a political term that described a merger of government and corporate power.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:27 amThe choice is being locked in a room with a disagreeable animal with rabies or with a disagreeable animal bitten by the other animal with rabies. Yeah, the latter is slightly better odds but still a very good chance you get rabies.
Right. The whole debate is silly. We're in goddamn trouble and Damon Linker or whomever trying to talk about a relative change of 10 degrees on the surface of the sun is fucking idiotic. But it is what passes for serious commentary in this dumbed down nation.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:27 am Parks is about 28% of DIS revenue. To think that they would jeopardize the remaining 70ish% for it is crazy. What is DeSantis threatening?
And even then Florida doesn't have all 28%. They have the single biggest chunk of it, but California and Tokyo hold a big portion of that, too.

You know what would get DeSantis reelected? If Disney left Florida and took their tourists with them. The 'warm zone' is shifting north anyway, and Florida's going to be pretty miserable in a few decades. There's lots of flat land in central/southern Illinois...

(It's probably not financially feasible, but it would be one hell of a way to call the bluff.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

LawBeefaroni wrote:The choice is being locked in a room with a disagreeable animal with rabies or with a disagreeable animal bitten by the other animal with rabies. Yeah, the latter is slightly better odds but still a very good chance you get rabies.
Yeah, I'm not arguing a President DeSantis wouldn't be a disaster. We're debating the lesser of two extreme evils, and that lesser, I agree, is a matter of fractions of degrees.

However Trump is a known, and we know he tried to overturn a free and fair election. That, to me, is a far greater danger than what DeSantis *might* do.
Last edited by YellowKing on Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's not even a question at this point. Anyone but the GOP.

I hate not having a choice but there really is no choice.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not sure that we can really calculate which would be the lesser evil.

If Trump is 89% evil, and 43% effective, and DeSantis is 55% evil, but 70% effective, who is the most evil? (Before someone answer, the math is just for illustration.)

And if Trump had the 2016-era Congress and Supreme Court (and the precedents still in place in 2016) to work with, how much more effective would he be in the current situation? And how much would that boost DeSantis's effectiveness (and willingness?)

And how much are we looking at splintering the party with either candidate?

There are too many variables. All I'm sure of is that either one would be a disaster.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:35 pm (Before someone answer, the math is just for illustration.)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:33 pm It's not even a question at this point. Anyone but the GOP.

I hate not having a choice but there really is no choice.
LordMortis since at least 2010. :( And much more vocally since 2014. :( :( :(
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think there is also a question of ‘who would you rather be the GOP candidate that eventually loses the general election?’

Because I’m sure if you ask Trump right now:
Is there any possible chance you actually honestly lost the 2020 election?
and
Is there any possible chance you would actually honestly lose the 2024 election?

He’d quickly say “No” to both of them.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:26 pm I think there is also a question of ‘who would you rather be the GOP candidate that eventually loses the general election?’

Because I’m sure if you ask Trump right now:
Is there any possible chance you actually honestly lost the 2020 election?
and
Is there any possible chance you would actually honestly lose the 2024 election?

He’d quickly say “No” to both of them.
Lacking the incumbency should limit his options however. I'm more concerned about how has the better the chance to actually win than who will be the worse loser.

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:40 pm I'm more concerned about who has the better the chance to actually win
Is the feeling that DeSantis may actually be more electable? That's my concern.

That I would actually rather Trump be nominated, because I think he may be unelectable, but I worry he will not lose well.
So, I maybe would rather have DeSantis - but I worry that he could surprise everyone that thinks he can't be (as) popular on a national level.

It's a strange argument in my head that just never really finds a place to settle on.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:41 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:35 pm (Before someone answer, the math is just for illustration.)
This is why I hate the image responses. ;) I have no idea if you're agreeing, disagreeing, mocking me because I miscommunicated my intent, or mocking me because I said something idiotic. :confusion-shrug:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:44 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:41 pm
This is why I hate the image responses. ;) I have no idea if you're agreeing, disagreeing, mocking me because I miscommunicated my intent, or mocking me because I said something idiotic. :confusion-shrug:
I think he was showing that He was indeed about to check the math and that you silenced him (appropriately). He meant that he was that someone.

Issy was being self-deprecating.

(I think)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, I usually interpret that meme as 'You just said something dumb, but I'm keeping my mouth shut.' Again, the problem of interpretation.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:49 pm :handgestures-thumbupleft:
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It can mean that... well - in what I would describe an "I am just speechless with how to address what you just said. I'm at a loss here."

Issy use was a fresh twist that NAthan's gif seemed to also articulate.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

FWIW - the scene is from Castle.

In the scene, Castle is rendered momentarily speechless after his daughter tells him she wants to go to college overseas.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unagi wrote:Is the feeling that DeSantis may actually be more electable? That's my concern.

That I would actually rather Trump be nominated, because I think he may be unelectable, but I worry he will not lose well.
So, I maybe would rather have DeSantis - but I worry that he could surprise everyone that thinks he can't be (as) popular on a national level.
Even if Trump has a lesser chance of winning than DeSantis, I'd personally never desire for him to be the nominee. Any chance at all that he gets back in power is too high a risk.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

There is the added benefit that if he isn't the nominee, he will go scorched earth on the party.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:24 pm
Unagi wrote:Is the feeling that DeSantis may actually be more electable? That's my concern.

Even if Trump has a lesser chance of winning than DeSantis, I'd personally never desire for him to be the nominee. Any chance at all that he gets back in power is too high a risk.
I love the idea of his not even being nominated. The ego hit alone would be epic. It makes it hard to see happening. I can't hang my hopes on that.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Based on what I’ve seen of his behavior, there would be no ego hit, because the fact that he didn’t get the nom would be due to :
Insert list of excuses he’ll tell himself and everybody else, which have nothing to do with him, and CERTAINLY not his fault.

He was a victim of X, which is why he didn’t get it. the process was rigged, someone cheated, Biden probably had a hand in it somehow, etc.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:57 pm FWIW - the scene is from Castle.
:shock:
For all these years I've assumed that I was looking at Malcolm Reynolds. Huh.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:36 pm Based on what I’ve seen of his behavior, there would be no ego hit, because the fact that he didn’t get the nom would be due to :
Insert list of excuses he’ll tell himself and everybody else, which have nothing to do with him, and CERTAINLY not his fault.

He was a victim of X, which is why he didn’t get it. the process was rigged, someone cheated, Biden probably had a hand in it somehow, etc.
While his ego may not actually take damage, he will need to keep blowing off reactive armor to deflect the truth. Which is certainly better than seeing him gloat in the love of his idiot mob.

Anyhow, really I’m just lamenting the fact that I think he’s likely to be nominated.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:24 pm

Yes. I do not comprehend how anyone who watched the 4 years of Trump’s presidency and the last election and its aftermath could possibly feel differently. Rooting for Trump to be the GOP nominee because you think Ron DeSantis is somewhat more electable? That’s insane.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Take a deep breath.

I don't think anyone is remotely rooting for Trump to be the nominee.

Don't confuse it when people simply worry that DeSantis may actually be electable while feeling Trump is perhaps actually not.

If I was forced into a future with either Trump or DeSantic nominated... I think my choices would be:

Top to bottom.
1. DeSantis nominated, DeSantis loses.
2. Trump nominated, Trump loses.
3. DeSantic nominated, DeSantis wins.
4. Trump nominated, Trump wins.

I agree with the camp that points out that we 100% know what Trump does with the Presidency - and it needs to be the top priority to avoid.

Sadly, I also agree with the camp that points out that DeSantis is a real politician with really ugly ideas to promote and perhaps better at it.

On balance, however, I don't think anyone could be as bad as Trump, and his connection to his base. The Cult. It's real.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:43 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:57 pm FWIW - the scene is from Castle.
:shock:
For all these years I've assumed that I was looking at Malcolm Reynolds. Huh.
Ditto
Covfefe!
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:23 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:The choice is being locked in a room with a disagreeable animal with rabies or with a disagreeable animal bitten by the other animal with rabies. Yeah, the latter is slightly better odds but still a very good chance you get rabies.
Yeah, I'm not arguing a President DeSantis wouldn't be a disaster. We're debating the lesser of two extreme evils, and that lesser, I agree, is a matter of fractions of degrees.

However Trump is a known, and we know he tried to overturn a free and fair election. That, to me, is a far greater danger than what DeSantis *might* do.
Disney deserve whatever they get. They act woke but they still have given Florida republicans millions in donations to get de Santis back in.

America is just Russia with two major parties not one at this point. Most states are now one party states so party members effectively choose who is elected not the public. The oligarchy is in place and has both major parties captured. The GOP will either gerrymander their way to presidential victory (as they nearly did in 2020 and did in 2016) or take it by force as they nearly did in 2021.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

How does gerrymandering affect a presidential election?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is this site a blog? Will we need to register?
Florida Sen. Jason Brodeur (R-Lake Mary) wants bloggers who write about Gov. Ron DeSantis, Attorney General Ashley Moody, and other members of the Florida executive cabinet or legislature to register with the state or face fines.

Brodeur’s proposal, Senate Bill 1316: Information Dissemination, would require any blogger writing about government officials to register with the Florida Office of Legislative Services or the Commission on Ethics.

In the bill, Brodeur wrote that those who write “an article, a story, or a series of stories,” about “the Governor, the Lieutenant Governor, a Cabinet officer, or any member of the Legislature,” and receives or will receive payment for doing so, must register with state offices within five days after the publication of an article that mentions an elected state official.

If another blog post is added to a blog, the blogger would then be required to submit monthly reports on the 10th of each month with the appropriate state office. They would not have to submit a report on months when no content is published.
Here is me writing about how Ron DeSantis is a thin-skinned bloviating touch hole. And Senator Jason Broduer is a bottom-feeding lick-spittle. RM9 just gave me a $1 to write all that.

I defer to the OO administration.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:29 pm How does gerrymandering affect a presidential election?
You took the question right out of my mouth.

Although, indirectly - state elections will eventually determine how faithful those states reflect their citizens' votes in a presidential election... sorta how Georgia and Arizona are looking like weak spots.
stessier

Post by stessier »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:00 pm

America is just Russia with two major parties not one at this point.
Might want to check out the Ukraine thread to see how wrong this is.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:29 pm How does gerrymandering affect a presidential election?
It doesn't. Voter suppression, outsized state voting power, and the Electoral college does. The only way gerrymandering directly affects the presidential election is that voters are less likely to vote when they feel their vote doesn't matter. Likely a contributor to why presidential elections have higher turnouts than midterms.

OtOH, gerrymandering and GOP legislative control tried to give Trump Michigan in 2024. Ironically, the state was possibly only saved by ethical republicans in power who fought back.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:45 am Ironically, the state was possibly only saved by ethical republicans in power who fought back.
Of course, before you give em too much credit, it was only unethical republicans in power that put it all in danger.

But yeah, I'm thankful a couple were still around.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:23 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:45 am Ironically, the state was possibly only saved by ethical republicans in power who fought back.
Of course, before you give em too much credit, it was only unethical republicans in power that put it all in danger.

Worse, it was the empowered unethical republican establishment that put it all in danger. It took rogue members of the party to act in the interest of the nation above the actions of the party itself to keep things from turning into ?????

So yeah, as much as I won't vote for them, I'm thankful for the few that stand against their own party when it comes attempting a Coup by overturning the will of the voters of the state.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:33 am
Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:23 am

Worse, it was the empowered unethical republican establishment that put it all in danger. It took rogue members of the party to act in the interest of the nation above the actions of the party itself to keep things from turning into ?????

So yeah, as much as I won't vote for them, I'm thankful for the few that stand against their own party when it comes attempting a Coup by overturning the will of the voters of the state.
Not to be a downer but I'm pretty sure they would have gone along with it if they thought it was going to work. imo it was more risk aversion that ethics or morals that made them do the right thing.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Things are going great, why do you ask?
An appointee to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ new oversight board in control of Disney’s special tax district called homosexuality “evil” last year and shared a baseless conspiracy theory that tap water could be making more people gay.

On Monday, the Republican governor appointed Ron Peri, an Orlando-based former pastor and the CEO of The Gathering – a Christian ministry focused on outreach to men – as one of five people who will now oversee the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the government body that has given Disney unique powers in Central Florida for more than half a century.

“So why are there homosexuals today? There are any number of reasons, you know, that are given. Some would say the increase in estrogen in our societies. You know, there’s estrogen in the water from birth control pills. They can’t get it out,” Peri baselessly said in a January 2022 Zoom discussion, later put on YouTube. “The level of testosterone in men broadly in America has declined by 50 points in the past 10 years. You know, and so, maybe that’s a part of it.”

“But the big part I would suggest to you, based upon what it’s saying here, is the removal of constraint,” he continued. “So our society provided the constraint. And so, which is the responsibility of a society to constrain people from doing evil? Well, you remove the constraints, and then evil occurs.”

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Is there any chance that Disney just packs up? Or are they too committed?