[movie] Barbie .....starring Margot Robbie & Ryan Gosling

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: [movie] Barbie .....starring Margot Robbie & Ryan Gosling

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:00 pm
Blackhawk wrote:is this stuff that's going to bother them with questions that they shouldn't be pondering at that age, or stuff that's so far out there that kids aren't even going to notice it (ala Animaniacs?)
The latter. I'd imagine most elementary school age kids would be bored out of their minds. This isn't a kids movie that happens to have jokes targeted towards adults. It's an adult movie exploring adult topics that just happens to be based on a kid IP.
Thanks. Your post gave me the impression that it was more actively inappropriate for kids, as opposed to just not all that interesting for them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:47 pm I think it's great for teens and up, but definitely NOT a kids movie. Not that it has anything explicit (the innuendos will go over kids' heads), but it deals with very mature existential stuff that kids aren't going to get. I thought it was hilarious, strange, and extremely bold, but I'm really glad my 11-year old decided to stay home.
Thanks! Elementals was similar...about a mixed (aka "forbidden") relationship and the long road to acceptance. Not really an appealing theme to young kids, especially mine, who are baffled by the premise of a forbidden relationship.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Saw it with my wife and 17yo son today. I really enjoyed it. They didn't express a specific opinion but also didn't say anything negative.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Had a lot of fun. It was a grown up movie, and suitably meta.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m just happy you got to cosplay for it.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I also want to say a Barbie movie is the last place I'd expect to be impressed by Margot Robbie's acting, but she is fantastic in this. I loved that she doesn't try to be this over-exaggerated parody as you might traditionally expect. Ryan Gosling's Ken *is* an over-exaggerated parody, but that's exactly what it was supposed to be. Everyone understood the assignment.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:I’m just happy you got to cosplay for it.
I wore my Catzilla t-shirt as I had already worn my D.va pink bunny spray t-shirt to visit you.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Theater was pretty full for 4:45 on a Friday, and it was largely full of children. It shouldn't surprise me that children would want to see Barbie, but I tend to forget that they exist. If you've seen it, you know that it's not a children's movie, and there was practically zero laughter all the way through. The opening was hilarious, but of course no child would understand the reference.

I was disappointed to find out that it wasn't a biopic about Klaus Barbie, but once I got used to this kinder gentler Barbie, I enjoyed it quite a bit. My name being Ken didn't affect my reaction at all, either. :wink:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Does it explain how two people with no genitalia find themselves together? I can totally see how such a story line could turn off young kids who have been raised to think that's normal.

Movies are an expensive proposition for us, so I think I'll wait for it to appear on Prime or some other free-to-me source.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:08 pm Does it explain how two people with no genitalia find themselves together? I can totally see how such a story line could turn off young kids who have been raised to think that's normal.

Movies are an expensive proposition for us, so I think I'll wait for it to appear on Prime or some other free-to-me source.
Yes, the topic comes up more than once. I repeat: this is not a kids' movie. There's nothing to shield them from, but most of the humor and social commentary will sail right over their heads.

A Friday matinee cost us $36 for two senior citizen tickets and no snacks. Movies are not cheap.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:18 pm [A Friday matinee cost us $36 for two senior citizen tickets and no snacks. Movies are not cheap.
We're looking at close to $200 for a family of 4 at a theater that serves dinner and brings me craft beer every time I press a button. Sure, I could press the button less often, but the movie damn well be good -- and with kids, the movies certainly aren't.

I don't know if anyone here saw this and Pixar's Elementals...how would you compare the two? My kids saw Elementals, and were underwhelmed. The story line was pulp romance novel dreck, and aside from the visuals there was nothing to engage the kids. Or adults like me who found the story derivative and uninteresting and was not swayed by visuals.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:18 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:08 pm Does it explain how two people with no genitalia find themselves together? I can totally see how such a story line could turn off young kids who have been raised to think that's normal.

Yes, the topic comes up more than once. I repeat: this is not a kids' movie. There's nothing to shield them from, but most of the humor and social commentary will sail right over their heads.

A Friday matinee cost us $36 for two senior citizen tickets and no snacks. Movies are not cheap.
What? A Sr Citizen ticket in my city is $8, a regular ticket is about $12. How is a Sr Citizen ticket $18 where you live?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And a Friday matinee at that? Seriously.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:29 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:18 pm [A Friday matinee cost us $36 for two senior citizen tickets and no snacks. Movies are not cheap.
We're looking at close to $200 for a family of 4 at a theater that serves dinner and brings me craft beer every time I press a button. Sure, I could press the button less often, but the movie damn well be good -- and with kids, the movies certainly aren't.

I don't know if anyone here saw this and Pixar's Elementals...how would you compare the two? My kids saw Elementals, and were underwhelmed. The story line was pulp romance novel dreck, and aside from the visuals there was nothing to engage the kids. Or adults like me who found the story derivative and uninteresting and was not swayed by visuals.
When people say it isn't for kids they mean it. This movie will likely bore the living hell out of anyone in the single digits. It is much more about social commentary with a side of nostalgia.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:44 am
Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:18 pm

What? A Sr Citizen ticket in my city is $8, a regular ticket is about $12. How is a Sr Citizen ticket $18 where you live?
$36.76, to be exact. The "convenience fee" for buying online was about $4.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:59 am
Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:29 pm

When people say it isn't for kids they mean it. This movie will likely bore the living hell out of anyone in the single digits. It is much more about social commentary with a side of nostalgia.
It is not for kids but some kids might like it. My 9 years old daughter loves it. She watched it with her cheerleading friends while a lot of the younger girls don't like it, some of them love it. I guess spending a lot of time with youtube make girls grow up faster.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

My wife wanted the family to go see it for her birthday. She loved it.
I did not smile once. Maybe I'm dead inside, but I just didn't find it funny. It was very well done. It just wasn't for me.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

McNutt wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:53 pm My wife wanted the family to go see it for her birthday. She loved it.
I did not smile once. Maybe I'm dead inside, but I just didn't find it funny. It was very well done. It just wasn't for me.
Not even for
Spoiler:
Weird Barbie?
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:23 am
McNutt wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:53 pm My wife wanted the family to go see it for her birthday. She loved it.
Not even for
Spoiler:
Weird Barbie?
That one kinda look like my daughter's Barbie dolls.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Not even the mansplaining scenes?
Spoiler:
I felt targeted by the Godfather bit. :mrgreen:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I finally got out to see Barbie. Loved it - brilliant casting, great acting, great script, great directing. I definitely teared up during America Ferrera's monologue.

It's wonderful to see how well this is doing commercially. I just went to a 9:30 showing on a Wednesday night, in its fourth week of release, and the theater was nearly sold out.