Does anyone have any experience with programmable keypads/macro pads?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Does anyone have any experience with programmable keypads/macro pads?

Post by Blackhawk »

I need maybe a half a dozen programmable keys for a few functions that I'd like to be able to call up with a single keypress rather than with mid-game finger yoga. Something that I could label (even if it meant stickers.)
I'd rather not have to use bloated software just to maintain the bindings, either (IE - not Razer.)

Looking around, I'm finding three things:
- Extensive suggestions for DIY (I don't have the skill - I can't even solder.)
- Extremely high priced macro pads ($100+ for nine keys?)
- Really chintzy, questionable looking things for $20 that look like they'd fail in a week.

In the age of reviews all being affiliate link farms, it's hard to find good info. Does anyone have any suggestions?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Re: Does anyone have any experience with programmable keypads/macro pads?

Post by Smoove_B »

I have a friend that swears by this - so much so that when his original died around 10 years ago, I just gave him mine (I never got that hang of it) and he's been using it ever since. I want to say it originally came out in 2003 or 2004 - it's the Belkin version, not the Razer version.

Trying to buy them new is insane but a quick search has them for about $30 used on Ebay (and above).

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I used to have a couple of versions of that. Mine are long gone, though.

I was looking for something simpler - something more like this:

Or like this.

Or like this.

But everything that I find is either way, way overpriced ($70 for a five-key keyboard) or has me seriously worried about the quality.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's surprisingly hard to find something. There are overpriced options, and there are options that are full of reports of them failing after a week or software that doesn't work. And then there's stuff like this. It looks like the right kind of product, there are enough keys, the price is OK, but then when you start reading you find out that the programming software is entirely in Chinese. The description gives a link to download it, but warns you to turn off your security software first. And then you get review comments like:
The driver is a little bit weird it starts a small Web server and opens your browser to directly control the keypad. My antivirus freaked out but after allowing everything it worked fine.
Um... no.

/edit - the more I look, practically every one I find for less than the price of a full keyboard uses exactly the same software from the same Chinese company, even though they're all selling under different names from different sellers, and they're all full of reports of people getting tons of virus warnings.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd already seen (and attempted) that. It's eight years old, and is based on HID macros, which it turns out is no longer functional. It was replaced with LUA Macros, for which you have to know lua (apparently a language?) to use.

Any other method of using my USB keypad results in rebinding the same keys on my keyboard along with it, as most such utilities can't distinguish between multiple keyboards (if you have two things capable off delivering the number '1', for instance, and remap one of them to send 'CTRL-V', hitting '1' on any of the keyboards sends 'CTRL-V',effectively denying you the use of your 1 key. And there are a few workarounds, but they're so complex that unless you've got a degree in computer science, they'd might as well be gibberish.

But thanks - had it still be viable, it would have worked. ;)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Seriously, that made my head spin. I watched it twice, and I still have no idea how to work with the code. I have the same response anytime I try a piece of software that is command line only. I know it's more powerful if you're a programmer who can read it, but if you're not, it's like trying to fill out your taxes in Klingon.

Also, Windows apparently believes that I have six keyboards, all named 'keyboard.'
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I can help with the code.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Which I appreciate, but as my needs change I'd be wanting to constantly tweak things. If I could find a six-button, for instance, I know what I'd need the first three for - that's why I'm looking at this to begin with. The other three, though, I'd likely be changing from time to time as my activities changed.

It's surprising that there isn't a solution to such a simple problem (remapping multiple 'keyboards') that isn't so obtuse - a simple GUI like most remapping software has had for decades - click the box, hit the key you want to remap, type what you want it to report as, hit enter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I can help you understand the code.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Some Chinese keyboards have limited Macro capabilities, like 3-6 keys available for macro recording and playback. But you need to read the manual carefully. Ducky for example, have DuckyMacros.

Otherwise, there are sometimes some Kickstarter items that supposedly have programmable macro pads available as finished products, but they often cost as much as a full keyboard.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:44 pm It's surprising that there isn't a solution to such a simple problem (remapping multiple 'keyboards') that isn't so obtuse - a simple GUI like most remapping software has had for decades - click the box, hit the key you want to remap, type what you want it to report as, hit enter.
Most people don't have multiple keyboards connected, I suppose. There are gamepad remappers that will do exactly what you want, however. Push A button = Space on keyboard, and so on. Those can also load multiple keymaps depending on what you're doing, so that would probably be the simplest solution.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And I would kill for half a dozen macro keys on my keyboard. My old keyboard had them, but I needed to go with a smaller footprint this time (I have a TKL now.)

Isgrimnur - thank you, and I'm actually considering it. But the truth is that I'm really just looking for easier access for two or three key combos - ctrl-home, ctrl-page down, and ctrl-page up right now. Mostly because I tend to mix them up and fumble them way too often. If this was a major project, I'd be much more willing to invest the time, but this is minor enough that I am hoping for an off-the-shelf solution. The amount of time I'm willing to invest in saving a few keystrokes is less than learning code (or learning to build an elaborate kit.)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I've used this mouse which has very convenient programable thumb macros since May 8, 2021. Zero issues.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Meal wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:04 pm I've used this mouse which has very convenient programable thumb macros since May 8, 2021. Zero issues.
And not a terrible idea, but I'm not really interested in replacing my existing hardware. What I have is very heavily researched and ideal for my needs. I just want to supplement it. I'd hoped that there was an easy way that didn't involve dropping $70+ on five keys, but it seems like there isn't.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

AutoHotKey software can turn any key into a programable hotkey with macro/script ability. You can program a hotkey by recording keystrokes or by writing a script that trigger when you press the button.

But it can be detected as cheating if you play multiplayer games that include anti cheat feature.

https://www.autohotkey.com/
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:04 pm AutoHotKey software can turn any key into a programable hotkey with macro/script ability. You can program a hotkey by recording keystrokes or by writing a script that trigger when you press the button.

But it can be detected as cheating if you play multiplayer games that include anti cheat feature.

https://www.autohotkey.com/
I'm familiar with it, and have used it in the past for games that hard-coded their controls. And my keyboard has its own macro function that will let me do something similar. The problem is that my keyboard doesn't have any extra keys on which to bind them. I need something external to my keyboard, and AutoHotKey can't handle that. If you have - for example - a keyboard and a third party keypad both plugged in (which I do), it cannot distinguish between the numpad and the keyboard. My external numpad has esc, tab, and backspace keys, but if you rebind them on the numpad, it also rebind the same key on they keyboard. I did find a workaround the other day for AHK that was was incredibly complex and apparently very unreliable.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There's the MSI Footpedal...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

This seems like a very specific solution to a fairly niche problem. As such you'll probably have to pay up or DIY.

If it were common, Amazon would have dozens of products and Windows would have native support.
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:00 am
The Meal wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:04 pm I've used this mouse which has very convenient programable thumb macros since May 8, 2021. Zero issues.
And not a terrible idea, but I'm not really interested in replacing my existing hardware. What I have is very heavily researched and ideal for my needs. I just want to supplement it. I'd hoped that there was an easy way that didn't involve dropping $70+ on five keys, but it seems like there isn't.
The mouse sounds like the best solution. You're not replacing hardware, you're upgrading since the existing hardware is not quite ideal for your needs.

Or buy a[nother] programmable keyboard.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Except that the mouse would be a significant downgrade over my G Pro Wireless. Similar problem with the keyboard - to get one of equivalent quality and function with a few extra keys would cost a significant amount.

It's like replacing your Ferrari with a Dodge Dart in order to get cup holders.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:20 pm Except that the mouse would be a significant downgrade over my G Pro Wireless. Similar problem with the keyboard - to get one of equivalent quality and function with a few extra keys would cost a significant amount.

It's like replacing your Ferrari with a Dodge Dart in order to get cup holders.
Or maybe replacing your Ferrari with a Forerunner because you want to drive on a dirt road.

I guess it comes down to how important having 4 or 5 more macros is.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Since you only require half a dozen programmable keys, the Elgato Stream Deck Mini -- which provides six fully customizable LCD keys (allowing you to personalize the keys with custom icons and animated GIFs) -- seems pretty much tailor-made for what you're after:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This was sort of a "Hey, anyone know of an easier way to do this? No? Ok, thanks! I'll keep doing it the old way." I wasn't really looking to change around my entire setup to achieve what amounts to a minor convenience (mostly because I have two or three shortcuts that I use regularly that I constantly get mixed up.)

I do appreciate all of the ideas, though - thank you. I just wasn't looking to do anything beyond add a small peripheral to my desk or to the bottom of my monitor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:33 pm Since you only require half a dozen programmable keys, the Elgato Stream Deck Mini -- which provides six fully customizable LCD keys (allowing you to personalize the keys with custom icons and animated GIFs) -- seems pretty much tailor-made for what you're after:
Oh, yeah - the existence of Stream Decks is what gave me the idea. It's the insane price that's always kept me away. If I were going to spend a ton of money, I'd get a larger one that could be used for flight sims, too.

Something like this:
Enlarge Image

But that's way out of my range. I was hoping to find something under $30. There are a ton of them out there - like this one - but they're all really, really questionable (they all use the same software that you download from their site that requires you to disable your AV before downloading it, before installing it, and while running it. Because.)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

One more option: get an old smartphone or tablet, and run a button mapper like Matric. You can put a mount on your desk and pretend it's a macro pad. Not sure what the latency is, but should be workable.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:12 am One more option: get an old smartphone or tablet, and run a button mapper like Matric. You can put a mount on your desk and pretend it's a macro pad. Not sure what the latency is, but should be workable.
Turns out, StreamDeck has it's own Smartphone/tablet version of the app, but they want you to pay a monthly subscription fee, which is why I didn't include it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I use a Logitech G910 keyboard (9 programmable G keys, 3 mode switches) and Logitech G600 mouse (20 programmable buttons on the side, although I rarely use more than 2 or 3 with most games) with the old Logitech Gaming Software. I don't like the newer G Hub software, so I don't use it, but programming macros with the LGS interface is pretty intuitive.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

1up keyboard has a 4x4 macropad kit, but it's more DIY and starts at 50 with mainboard and case, but no switches or assembly.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Some of these look interesting, although there's nothing in the $20 price range. Their favorite is $50 while their budget pick is $40.

The 6 Best Programmable Keypads in 2022
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's something to look at, thanks. And I didn't say I wanted something in the $20 range, I said that the stuff I saw in the $20 range looked really, really iffy.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

just had a look at this thread now...
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:13 pm (or learning to build an elaborate kit.)
order and send a MurphPad (or something like it) to me and i'll soldier and assemble it. looks like a fun little project.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:31 pm just had a look at this thread now...
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:13 pm (or learning to build an elaborate kit.)
order and send a MurphPad (or something like it) to me and i'll soldier and assemble it. looks like a fun little project.
I'll keep that in mind when I get to the point that I can afford one. Thanks.