DCS World

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

gbasden

DCS World

Post by gbasden »

So, is anyone deep in this sim world? I have a serious itch to fly helicopters again, but given the $200+ per hour cost for real life piloting I started to investigate Helicopter flight sims. Some moneys later I have a Pro Flight Trainer Puma X cyclic, collective and pedals on the way, and have been looking at DCS world as it sounds like the helicopter physics modeling is superb, modeling translational lift, vortex ring state and retreating blade stall. It looks like a big lift to get started though - any good resources for configuring and learning the aircraft?

Thanks!
Blackhawk

Re: DCS World

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a copy, but haven't made the commitment to the massive learning curve. I will say that I know it has native VR support, and VR in a flight sim is significant improvement, enough so that it's almost become a standard for hobbyists, and it is expected in any modern flight sim.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

gbasden wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:09 pm So, is anyone deep in this sim world? I have a serious itch to fly helicopters again, but given the $200+ per hour cost for real life piloting I started to investigate Helicopter flight sims.
Oddly enough, I've been bugging my wife (in a not-entirely frivolous way) that it's been fifty years since I got my fixed wing license and I've had a hankering for getting my helo license but as noted it is very expensive. That helo controls set sure looks interesting. Please keep posting your experiences and I might take the plunge myself! :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:14 pm I have a copy, but haven't made the commitment to the massive learning curve. I will say that I know it has native VR support, and VR in a flight sim is significant improvement, enough so that it's almost become a standard for hobbyists, and it is expected in any modern flight sim.
Yeah, I'm planning to use my Valve Index, but of course that increases the initial learning curve.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:50 pm
gbasden wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:09 pm So, is anyone deep in this sim world? I have a serious itch to fly helicopters again, but given the $200+ per hour cost for real life piloting I started to investigate Helicopter flight sims.
Oddly enough, I've been bugging my wife (in a not-entirely frivolous way) that it's been fifty years since I got my fixed wing license and I've had a hankering for getting my helo license but as noted it is very expensive. That helo controls set sure looks interesting. Please keep posting your experiences and I might take the plunge myself! :D
I'll let you know! The controls should be here on Monday. A number of professional helo pilots have written really good things about them and watching videos of people flying with them definitely gave me the same feels as flying IRL. I'll give you my impressions once I figure out how to switch the helicopter on!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Well, the controls actually arrived early on Friday. I assembled it over the weekend. I'd guess that it took me a couple of hours to assemble all of the pieces, but I was taking my time. I spent another hour or so testing and then adjusting the controls to fit me. Thankfully, it's very adjustable. You can bring the collective in our out on the left hand side by probably 8", the collective height can be modified by more than that, and the pedals can be brought in or out with at least 6" of play.

After assembly, I calibrated the controls in Windows, then fired up DCS World and jumped into a Huey. The controls feel so much better than my joystick and throttle quadrant. The long cyclic has so much more precision and makes hovering much easier. I'm still easing into things, but it's been great so far.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.