Sniper Elite 5 - coming May 25/26th, 2022

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Sniper Elite 5 - coming May 25/26th, 2022

Post by hepcat »

Have you had a really good ass shot kill?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I hit one dude that was bent over and checking on his friend and I actually saw an intestinal sphincter, so...yes?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I still think what I experienced was a glitch. The kill cam literally showed my bullet blowing off part of his ass (no internal view, thank god), and then he died. If it had entered his body there and then exited through his body elsewhere it would have made more sense. But it glanced off his ass and…

…you know what, that’s a paragraph about shooting a guy’s ass off. I need to take a break from this game for a bit.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:57 pm I still think what I experienced was a glitch. The kill cam literally showed my bullet blowing off part of his ass (no internal view, thank god), and then he died. If it had entered his body there and then exited through his body elsewhere it would have made more sense. But it glanced off his ass and…

…you know what, that’s a paragraph about shooting a guy’s ass off. I need to take a break from this game for a bit.
Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So yeah, Map 3 is so good. What's crazy is that for the amount of time I spent here, I still couldn't find 2 work benches or 2 of the stone eagles. I thought I went everywhere, but apparently not.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:04 pm So yeah, Map 3 is so good. What's crazy is that for the amount of time I spent here, I still couldn't find 2 work benches or 2 of the stone eagles. I thought I went everywhere, but apparently not.
I finally had to go to the internet to find my two missing work benches.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I only found the pistol bench on that level. Never did see a stone eagle.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I do have one major complaint about the multiplayer: one player is designated as the host for every multiplayer game. If they leave for any reason, that game ends and everybody is dumped back out into the lobby. It's such a dumb decision.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

After the claustrophobic third map the fourth one was bigger and a big more open. I'm on the fifth map which is more like the first map.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Finished the fifth mission:
Enlarge Image

I think I'm going to stop playing SE5 for awhile. I tend to burn out on many of these kinds of games before completing the campaigns. Once I start getting the feeling of "been there, done that" in the gameplay I find myself wanting to rush to finish a map. Best to put the game away for awhile and see if I'm feeling better about it in a week or two.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

is each mission 2 hours long or thereabouts?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaddison wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:41 am is each mission 2 hours long or thereabouts?
They can be 10 minutes or 3 hours depending on your approach, how patient you want to be and how complete you want to be. I'd say 60-90 minutes is probably reasonable for most maps for a stealthy approach.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:46 am They can be 10 minutes...
:shock: That will get Karl's heart racing!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:14 pm
coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:46 am They can be 10 minutes...
:shock: That will get Karl's heart racing!
OK, maybe not on the first play, but with unlocked alternate starting locations, or just plain run and gun, it's feasible.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:46 am
Jaddison wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:41 am is each mission 2 hours long or thereabouts?
They can be 10 minutes or 3 hours depending on your approach, how patient you want to be and how complete you want to be. I'd say 60-90 minutes is probably reasonable for most maps for a stealthy approach.
I know i"m merely human, but for my stealth attempts, some of those maps I can't imagine finishing in less than 3 hours. Map 3, for example. That one is just huge.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:28 pm
coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:46 am
I know i"m merely human, but for my stealth attempts, some of those maps I can't imagine finishing in less than 3 hours. Map 3, for example. That one is just huge.
The thing about Map 3 is that it is so convoluted that even though I've played it three times, I'm not sure I've actually seen everything on it :roll:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ditto. It's got so many nooks and crannies I think I'll call it The English Muffin Map.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:28 pm Also, the battery in the first map does not make any sound on my system. The sound indicator comes up when it fires, but no sound plays. Artillery silencer?
It has been addressed with today's patch!
Fixed several missing sounds - most notably the big guns in 'Atlantic Wall'
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I feel like I've been missing out on a whole set of extra things for SE5. During M4 I was doing my usual creep and spot technique to try and minimize being surprised. As I'm scanning areas, I see a person that wouldn't flag as a target but he was definitely there.
Spoiler:
He was a German solider (?) operating the crane near the train yard
Anyway, I couldn't mark or even target him (get the sight to turn red) but I decided to shoot him anyway, because that's what I do when I see Nazis.
Spoiler:
He died, crane load went into another structure and made a big boom
Imagine my surprise.

But even following that, I started M5 and after coming out into the entry area I noticed something
Spoiler:
There was a little ceramic gnome on one of the tables
I decided to shoot it as well (because that's what I do when I see Nazi decorations) and sure enough a tracker unlocked suggesting there were more to find. I did some poking around and apparently there were similar things to "collect" in M3.

Lots of layers to this game. Still having an absolute blast (figuratively and literally - setting up teller mines on dead Nazis never gets old).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

In mission selection, there is a prompt to press Tab (I think) for details and it will show you collectibles and I think it includes things like the gnomes and pigeons. If not, the medals (or ribbons?) give it away.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh. That'll teach me - I just jumped right in and started blasting. I don't remember anything other than the stone eagles from the other games, so I appreciate having even more to do. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or, from in-mission, escape, Service Record, Collectibles.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This is not a criticism, just an observation.

As I play more, I am still sticking with the point I made earlier about there being fewer stealthy sniping opportunities than in previous entries in the series. You can always get on a hill and open fire - that's not the point. I just mean that as a stealth player I'm rarely sniping - I'm using my pistol or knife far more often, and that wasn't true in the previous entries.

SE 3 and 4 often had overlooks set up for sniping - a single tower or a small camp with a generator or the equivalent up on a hill or the edge of a cliff - from which you could clear out whole camps. Now, when there are generators (or sabotagable vehicles) now, they're usually in the middle of a camp/occupied area. You can't access them until you've already cleared the camp out, and when you do, there are usually only a few sniping targets that you can see from within sound range of the generator. On map 2, for instance, there was a small farm on one end of the map. A barn, a stable, and a house with a short tower with a view of the surrounding countryside. The only way to activate the generator was to clear out everybody else in hearing range (or they'll all come running when you're still right next to it - the opposite of what you want.) When I did sabotage it, I climbed the tower. There had even been an enemy sniper inside, but it was placed just out of range of the sound masking, and couldn't be used. When you were within range of the masking, hills or buildings blocked every view, and there were exactly two enemies visible.

Like I said, it isn't really a criticism. The game has changed, but it's still a fun game. But it is now closer to a Hitman/Splinter Cell style stealth game (unless you play it run-and-gun) than a sniping game. They just aren't really supporting that play style this time.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah it is much more a pistol and knife game for me, but the rifle gets used, just not as often. I do get excited when an opportunity presents itself and there are some places for 400+ meter shots and opportunities to clear out piles of enemies at long range. Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 has more of the super long sniper shot focus if that's what you are after.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:11 pm Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 has more of the super long sniper shot focus if that's what you are after.
I wouldn't say that so much as I'm having fun, but just miss that element. And yeah, I've got Ghost Warrior 1, 2, 3, and Contracts (plus Sniper Elite 1, 2, and Sniper: Art of Victory) that I've yet to devote time to, although not all of those are considered 'good' games.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Mission #5 had the potential for some insane shots where you're never going to be found, but yes I would agree there definitely more of a focus on mid-to close range combat. I'm still enjoying it, but I've had to change my tactics on the last two maps a bit just because going complete stealth has been harder and harder.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:18 pm Sniper Elite 1
Better left to memory than actually played in this day and age.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I've heard that it is a series that is best played from 3 onward.

One tip that's still true from past SE titles. If you're going for any of the ribbons/medals or the unlocks that are associated with them, but there's something tough to pull off, there is an easy way to cheese it (I'm not a fan of farming for crap like that.)

Say you need to do something tricky, like kill three enemies with one grenade five times, or you need to use weapons that don't suit your play style (like "Kill enemies with 20 different weapons" when you're playing stealth.) Find a spot with an easy opportunity to do so (a cluster of enemies for the grenade, a special weapon with enemies nearby, etc.) Quicksave. Do the thing - mow down the enemies, throw the grenade, whatever. Now quick load. You won't have done it yet, but the progress still counts. You could, theoretically, get the 'kill 50 enemies with a 1911' with one enemy and one bullet by saving and reloading 50 times.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And I got my 100+ meter nut shot, plus the 8/8 organs hit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

It's not really a game until you detonate a testicle at 100 meters. Been trying to do that one for a while, but I'm always going for the head shots. It's a tough habit to break.

I was missing the stomach on "maim that organ" bingo card. I wish I could say shooting Nazis stops being fun at some point, but it really is the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm on Mission 6 right now and playing it much more aggressively. I continue to be amazed at the map design for this game. They really were crafted by people that wanted to make sure you have so many opportunities to play how you want.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I returned to Elden Ring this past weekend as I’m only about 100 hours away from finishing that one, I believe. It’s a bit of a let down though that I can’t just stand on a mountainside and pick off evildoers with a scoped crossbow. :(
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:21 pm I'm on Mission 6 right now and playing it much more aggressively. I continue to be amazed at the map design for this game. They really were crafted by people that wanted to make sure you have so many opportunities to play how you want.
Except for stealthy sniping. ;)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Meh, I found numerous ways to do it in the first 4 maps. Subsonic ammo, for example. I never seemed to have trouble finding an auto, or a generator, outdoors. Indoor sections were obviously not made for sniping, but 4 had those too.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:31 pm Except for stealthy sniping. ;)
Maybe I'm trying to pay more attention, but for M6, there have been two spots now where generators have been placed in such a way as to facilitate stealthy sniping- and I did so happily.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:17 pm And I got my 100+ meter nut shot, plus the 8/8 organs hit.
I guess that's why I'm not getting as much out of the game, I turned off all the close up kill cameras... :roll:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I didn't say there were no sound masks. I said there were far fewer than in the rest of the series, and I stand by that. Some of them are placed in such a way that it's like they're actively discouraging you from sniping. I was just in a spot with a motorcycle that I sabotaged. There is a wall on one side, a cliff on another, and a hill behind you with steps. If you go up the steps, you hit the edge of the sound masking just a few feet before you can target anything beyond the hill. In the fourth and final direction there is a relatively small area you can aim through. When doing so, there is a tree right in front of one stationary guard, and a pile of boxes in in front of another. That left exactly one sniping target - a guard in a tower. They gave you a way to shoot stealthily, but could not have placed things better to limit your targets to the ones they had selected.

They really do seem to be going out of their way to either push you into going loud, or to push you into going into hand-to-hand range. I have no idea why.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:44 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:17 pm And I got my 100+ meter nut shot, plus the 8/8 organs hit.
I guess that's why I'm not getting as much out of the game, I turned off all the close up kill cameras... :roll:
Hitting the organs doesn't require the kill cams. Personally, I enjoy them, but I tend to turn the frequency way down about halfway through the game (at least I have in the previous ones.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:46 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:44 pm
Hitting the organs doesn't require the kill cams. Personally, I enjoy them, but I tend to turn the frequency way down about halfway through the game (at least I have in the previous ones.)
Oh I know I can still get the organ credits (there's some joke about Private Wurlitzer somewhere in there) and I find the kill cams a little off-putting.