Diablo 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lordnine

Re: Diablo 4

Post by Lordnine »

I just finished the main questline for Act 1. Initially I was really enjoying my time with the beta, but it started to wane a lot near the end.
  • The world map is too big for the movement speed they give you. Clearly it is designed for mounts, but I didn’t get one and it was a slog to get from place to place. There are also places you have to return to for quests that really should have had a teleport point.
  • I don’t like the absence of mana potions. I want to be able to equip what I need to cast my spells as much as I want.
  • Bosses feel like MMO bosses. The multi-stage fights could be fun, but the bosses just feel artificially health spongey. Random events in the world also feel very MMO inspired and don’t work for me. I had the same event trigger twice, once right after the other. It completely takes me out of the world.
  • The interface is clunky. Why can’t I just click on a skill slot and choose what skill I want to put there? Why did I have to open an entirely separate window to do that? Why do they show shortcuts for everything in the game at all times?
  • Story interactions are SLOOOOW. I like story in games, even diablo style games, but I don’t like having to wait for an NPC to walk to a specific point before they start talking or are interactable.
I really hope they can tighten up these things but I suspect a lot of them are too late to do anything about.
Last edited by Lordnine on Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Also I remember why I stopped playing action RPGs: Carpel tunnel syndrome.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lordnine wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:40 pm I just finished the main question line for Act 1. Initially I was really enjoying my time with the beta, but it started to wane a lot near the end.
  • The world map is too big for the movement speed they give you. Clearly it is designed for mounts, but I didn’t get one and it was a slog to get from place to place. There are also places you have to return to for quests that really should have had a teleport point.
  • I don’t like the absence of mana potions. I want to be able to equip what I need to cast my spells as much as I want.
  • Bosses feel like MMO bosses. The multi-stage fights could be fun, but the bosses just feel artificially health spongey. Random events in the world also feel very MMO inspired and don’t work for me. I had the same event trigger twice, once right after the other. It completely takes me out of the world.
  • The interface is clunky. Why can’t I just click on a skill slot and choose what skill I want to put there? Why did I have to open an entirely separate window to do that? Why do they show shortcuts for everything in the game at all times?
  • Story interactions are SLOOOOW. I like story in games, even diablo style games, but I don’t like having to wait for an NPC to walk to a specific point before they start talking or are interactable.
I agree with all. The skill slotting took me a while to figure out why I couldn't right click the slot and it let me choose from there.

You can skip all cut scenes with NPCs ...hit ESC then hold ESC. You can speed up dialog by left clicking to keep going through it.

I really hope they can tighten up these things but I suspect a lot of them are too late to do anything about.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I agree with all. The skill slotting took me a while to figure out why I couldn't right click the slot and it let me choose from there.

You can skip all cut scenes with NPCs ...hit ESC then hold ESC. You can speed up dialog by left clicking to keep going through it.

The movement speed is damn slow.

Also I haven't been able to figure out to summon a skeletal mage. I didn't even know about the book of the dead until now today. DOH. Ive upgraded my skels to fight better and last longer. And the mage isn't until lvl 15. Also I was hoping the minions picked up weps and armor to improve themselves but its just abilities you pick from the book of the dead. You can also not pay attention and choose one to take away your summoning all together.
Lordnine wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:40 pm I just finished the main question line for Act 1. Initially I was really enjoying my time with the beta, but it started to wane a lot near the end.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I find it strange that at the end of a dungeon when you kill the boss he will just drop the same random loot as any other enemy. Theres not even a special loot chest that spawns for a dungeon clearing. Theres one for random events in the overworld though. Strange.

Also no way to tell if a dungeon is cleared but look at the minimap and guess. Im never sure if its ok to teleport out or not.

Shrines dont last long at all. Few seconds.

Also dungeons reset..f me. I cleared light hope tower then went to the next town further away and it gave me a quest to come back here and it had reset when I exited. So doing it ALL over again. If I pass a dungeon dont make me backtrack to do it again for a quest plz.

I got a running speed buff from a shrine. That was very nice. Wish that was the speed you normally run at. The slooooow walk in Diablo 1 was my hugest gripe and the reason Ive never gone back to it.

How does damage on a weapon work for a caster? I dont actually hit stuff I just cast stuff..even my normal attack is a casting. Does damage mean nothing on weps for me?

Is there no item repair? I keep trying to find it when I visit a merchant lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is a pic of my lvl 15 necro. Ill try to post one of my new sorc later.

necro
Enlarge Image

My sorceress
Enlarge Image
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Item repair is at blacksmiths. You have to select the correct tab.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

SOB...I was following Lilith and the girls mother deep into a temple ...waaaay down at the bottom like 5 or 6 lvls and lost conection. Well guess thats it for the beta. May try to finish it later...unless I need a full restart. Would have li9ked to see the cutscene for that quest too.

Edit it logged me back in on the first or 3rd lvl. Man that sucks. Also tired of the slow walking. Im tired of sitting here and my guy is a snail. 90% of this game is walking slowly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kinda disappointed Ive seen no sign of a little treasure goblin.

Still have zero understanding of weps and their states. I know damage is fine for melee...but nothing about weps are good for casters unless they get one with a useful class stat..most time all stats are useless to me, the damage is useless and wands dont actually fire their own magic..so shrug.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That's why I armed my sorc with a dagger with +6 to all stats (plus a focus item). Made no difference as far as casting, so you don't need a stick.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I would like to have a little animal companion that would pick up all the gold like in D3...maybe a dog or something. Plenty of those in town I cant even pet.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:00 pm I would like to have a little animal companion that would pick up all the gold like in D3...maybe a dog or something. Plenty of those in town I cant even pet.
Actually, you can pet the dogs. Use the HELLO emote on them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lordnine wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:26 am
Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:00 pm I would like to have a little animal companion that would pick up all the gold like in D3...maybe a dog or something. Plenty of those in town I cant even pet.
Actually, you can pet the dogs. Use the HELLO emote on them.
COOL! Thank you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id like to zoom my view a little bit. Im playing D3 right now too and my view seems to close in D4 especially with a necro and his minions. I run into hordes before seeing them and also my skeleies will run off my view to fight stuff. Also they seem too big in my view. Me and my minions take up the entire screen.

Also Id like to zoom the minimap out a little. I can zoom the main map so why not more?
ManAboutNothing

Post by ManAboutNothing »

Lordnine wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:40 pm I just finished the main questline for Act 1. Initially I was really enjoying my time with the beta, but it started to wane a lot near the end.
THIS. All of this. Plus the loot system seems better in Grim Dawn and the overall progression system seemed better in D2, to me anyway. At $60-70, this is a miss for me, at least right now.
Derek
Very part-time indie developer and full time internet business tinkerer/failure/blunderer
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:49 pm Also I remember why I stopped playing action RPGs: Carpel tunnel syndrome.
This is a very real problem with ARPGs.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, this thread incited me to go back and try DIII again, using a monk, and it just feels/seems…’clickier’ than say Grim Dawn. Could be the char class of course.

Now I’m reminded I need to finish Grim Dawn. :D if there was a “Squirrel!!” game I would go play that instead.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Played a sorc and a necro to 25, only finished the main quest line with the necro. Made a non-pet necro and was actually shocked at how fun it was to get in and mix it up melee-style. Had thorns over 100, several skills that raised my physical resistances, with a legendary two-handed scythe as a weapon. Mopped the floor with all the trash mobs, handled the elites and most bosses just fine. Only thing I had any troubles with were the "conquer" bosses, but I think those were mostly designed as a team element anyways, so I was actually kinda happy I pulled those off.

World boss was fun to fight, took it on three times, but only finished it twice. The first time all my items were broken from the multiple deaths, and I thought I had to go repair them. By the time I got back, the thing was dead and I didn't get any loot. But the two times I *did* finish it, I got 8 legendary items each time. Pretty crazy, but it took about 10 of us to whittle it down, and it was the size of the entire screen. Fun battle.

When all is said and done, it's more Diablo and as far as I'm concerned, that's not a bad thing. I'm glad I preordered it and got the middle of the road version, not the Ultra, but not the basic. Looking forward to the mounts and actually finishing the story line. There's quite a few interesting directions it could go, based off the cut scenes (which were phenomenal, as expected of a Blizzard game).
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
naednek

Post by naednek »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:07 am
Jaymann wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:49 pm Also I remember why I stopped playing action RPGs: Carpel tunnel syndrome.
This is a very real problem with ARPGs.
game controller seems to help with that.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yes, potentially. My PS controller just gives me different wrist pain.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I was a little shocked when I fired up D3 on the computer this weekend and discovered there is no gamepad option.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Brian

Post by Brian »

We are in the middle of preparing the house for sale so didn't complete the main quest but did level up a Rogue to 25 and started a Sorc.

In D3 the Rogue could rotate aim while doing the rapid fire but in D4 it seems like it's just a straight line shot.
Maybe I'm missing something but I dislike not being able to adjust my aim while in the midst of a rapid fire.

Maybe I just never saw any but did they take out the dual-wield crossbow pistols? That was my favorite option in D3.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I'm glad I preordered it and got the middle of the road version, not the Ultra, but not the basic.
Is there a physical box version? I know with D3 I got the collectors edition boxed version and its now worth some good money even used. Ive seen the unopened one for $300 - $500 .

So it used to be good to get the best version to resell later when they had boxes.

EDIT: no but Blizzard will sell you the limited collectors edition box only for $100 It doesn't come with game but does have the goodies....

Diablo IV Limited Collector’s Box Includes:
· Candle of Creation
· Occult Mousepad
· Cloth Map of Sanctuary
· Pin of the Horadrim
· Diablo IV Collector’s Edition Art Book
· Matted Fine Art Prints (x2) - 18.54" x 10.79"

I usually never ever buy special editions of digital only games.l I care NOTHING for the crap in them like clothing or a weapon or stuff. Digital artbooks are useless non books. If I pay extra for a collectors edition I want it in my hand and some specials in the box and trinkets.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Wait... the Collector's Edition of Diablo 4 doesn't include Diablo 4? :confusion-scratchheadblue:

I've got a few collector's editions that I've picked up over the years (and one I was given - thanks, BadDemo!) Other than the games, I enjoy physical art books (which I usually keep with my painting reference art books), and items from the game world - my Fallout 3 bobblehead, the Oblivion coin. In-game content, soundtracks, digital art books - I doubt I have ever opened a single one. Mouse pads? I have a mouse pad that I researched and chose because it was the best for me (a 16"x35" SteelSeries.) And $200 collector's editions that have a giant statue that would require new furniture to display? Gah.

I'd prefer a CE for +$20-$30 that just included a token from the game world and a small book.

Oh, and my favorite part of any collector's edition? The effing game!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Regarding the clicking, I too get bad carpal tunnel from these games. Unfortunately this is also my favorite game genre. Anyway, I was reading the beginning of the book “Stay Awhile and Listen” which is about the development of the original Diablo/D2. The very first page or so they talk about the entire goal of the game was to get you to click more to create an addictive reward system, click for loot, click to kill, you never know what’s behind the next click, etc.

As for the beta, overall I was very very impressed and very happy. Now I could go and nitpick particular details but I’m pretty much willing to overlook things because my general impressions were so solid. Contrary to some here, I thought the addition of “MMO” elements really takes this game/genre to the next level. Not necessarily the multiplayer aspect (getting saved by DEEZNUTS can certainly reduce the immersion lol) but I really enjoyed the “open world” feel. It’s like they blended the Diablo series with Elden Ring. For the first time in an ARPG of this sort I felt really rewarded for exploring different parts of the map. There always seemed to be something of interest, a challenge, a shrine, a quest, a stronghold, a boss, a dungeon, and yes, even a treasure goblin or two. I know some people didn’t like the running around aspect, but to me it’s part of the charm that allowed me to run into things I probably would have skipped over otherwise. And I know that long term mounts and run speed gear will make that kind of concern obsolete. For this beginning part of the adventure, I’m OK with a little exploring on foot. I like how it feels organic instead of the structured way you get content in, say, D3. I think there’s plenty of similar structured content as well for those that prefer it, but for me, I like the open world feel.

Example: I had finished the main quest portion available on my Necro (btw class seems overpowered at the moment) at around lvl 18, and I saw a part of the map I hadn’t uncovered on the way to a side quest blue circle. So I wandered over and ran into a lvl 25+ region. I figured I could just run through it quickly but I couldn’t help but take a peek inside and ended up doing a fun Stronghold battle and gained a level or 2 in the mean time. The reward? Now the region said it was level 30 and even my overpowered Necro was taking longer to kill stuff so I finally left.

I had plenty of “moments” like these which were just very enjoyable all and all. Maybe they weren’t “traditional Diablo” moments per se, but the heart of the click/reward system is still there, and I’m excited to experience it in a slightly new way which feels like it has a lot more room for expansion and interesting content.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like beta has ended. No one including me can leave and area, enter a city or dungeon, or teleport anywhere. So assuming its dead. I was hoping for a UO style end of beta where they flood the world with demons or Lilith copies and everyone dies :)

In the end my biggest most HUGE gripe is the walking speed....its too much like D1...SLOooooowwww. TOO slow. It would keep me from buying it even if I had the money to spare.

Thinking of MMOs and style I stil l recall when I started World of Warcraft. I can still remember it and the areas. The feelings I had then still hit me sometimes. The fun and warmth. All of it. I miss those days and that new MMO feel...even WoW feels totally different and nowhere near as cool.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:44 pm
In the end my biggest most HUGE gripe is the walking speed....its too much like D1...SLOooooowwww. TOO slow. It would keep me from buying it even if I had the money to spare.

Thinking of MMOs and style I stil l recall when I started World of Warcraft. I can still remember it and the areas. The feelings I had then still hit me sometimes. The fun and warmth. All of it. I miss those days and that new MMO feel...even WoW feels totally different and nowhere near as cool.
It’s interesting the walk speed bothered you so much in D4 but your nostalgia is for original WoW where the walking time was much longer. I remember pre-mount in WoW my fat Tauren just running from place to place, quest to quest, running, running, running lmao. But as you said even WoW feels totally different now so likely your perspective has shifted a lot from the “old days.”
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

With WOW the bigger races seemed very slow to me but I didn't play them..a Tauren a little and I didn't play it much. I always played humans and dwarves and such. Seemed the lower your view to the ground was the faster it seemed you moved.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:34 pm With WOW the bigger races seemed very slow to me but I didn't play them..a Tauren a little and I didn't play it much. I always played humans and dwarves and such. Seemed the lower your view to the ground was the faster it seemed you moved.
Which is normal - the same way cars feel faster than trucks.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

If I remember correctly, D3 started out feeling like the walking was slow until you buffed up your equipment and traits to move faster.
As the game progressed and you leveled up, it was much less of an issue.
I'm thinking D4 will be the same.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Don't you have the ability to mount in D4?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

gilraen wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:13 pm Don't you have the ability to mount in D4?
Yes. In my limited play time during last weeks beta, I didnt come across any mounts.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:21 pm
gilraen wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:13 pm Don't you have the ability to mount in D4?
Yes. In my limited play time during last weeks beta, I didnt come across any mounts.
I think there was a quest you had to complete from an NPC that wasn't in Act I as presented to us. Donal or something like that?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hyena wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:35 pm
I think there was a quest you had to complete from an NPC that wasn't in Act I as presented to us. Donal or something like that?
That's what I thought, but I did see a few people riding mounts. NPCs maybe?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, player mounts weren't part of the beta, but I saw an NPC ride by on one once. I didn't reach that quest.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:14 pm
Hyena wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:35 pm
That's what I thought, but I did see a few people riding mounts. NPCs maybe?
Yeah, it was some of the city guard patrolling around. Saw some of them on foot near the big cities, as well.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mounts were not available to the public in the beta...BUT....there was a spectral horse mount some players were getting by doing some quest I dont recall which.

EDIT: Ok it was a bug wit ha quest....
According to the Reddit user, they were able to receive the Ghastly Reins as a loot drop from completing the Gathering Legions event in Diablo 4. Upon using the Ghastly Reins, they were then able to add the Spectral Charger mount to their stable.
Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

One of the biggest complaints about World of Warcraft was the size of the maps and the time it took to get everywhere, even after you got your first mount.

I *loved* the feel of that game. Gathering a few guild mates to run over to the salt flats (or whatever) was like actually preparing for a trip. It gave the game scope and heft, imo. Teleporting instantly everywhere reduces a game to a series of load screens (and not even that these days). It's like turning the page of a book. First you're at the top of mount scary bad dude and the next instant you're summoned into an instance below castle blackplace on another continent.

I get that people have limited game time and even if they have all the time in the world, they want that time to be productive, but for me, long treks immersed me greater than any other feature I can think of.

I have nothing to say about D4's open world, I haven't experienced it. I'm just saying that not everyone is put off by a bit of a hike in game.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

There's definitely a difference between a third-person MMOG (especially twenty years ago) and an overhead ARPG IMO. Traversing the world of WoW at launch was definitely magical. But I think it's problematic to spend hours of real-world time travelling in a game. Crossing Stranglethorn or Ashenvale before (or even after) you had a mount was only fun the first few times.

ARPGs (at least Diablo) are about getting in the action and staying in the action. There are few rewards for exploration, in-game or personal. But in Diablo 4 I think the overworld and travelling are being implemented more to make the world feel lived in and connected and to deliver content (e.g. world events) than to be a timesink. I found travelling in the beta to be a little tedious, but it really didn't take a lot of time to get around. And once you unlocked waypoints turning in quests was usually quick. Compare it to the nightmare that was finding waypoints in Diablo 2.

A good contrast to early WoW is Guild Wars 2. Did the fast-travel points that have become ubiquitous in MMOGs detract from the wonder of the experience? Yes, to a degree. But I think it was a welcome tradeoff. The gaming hours in my life are limited. I don't want to have to travel twenty minutes to reach a dungeon I've done before. Especially when it involved standing around for ships to arrive, and was usually a solo experience. In reality I don't think WoW (or most any mainstream MMOG) delivered on the roleplay experience hardcore RPers wanted. There's just no way to implement that gameplay experience outside of players' external efforts.

I mean people found a way to play Peggle in-game in WoW while riding between flightpoints for goodness's sake.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I really like the traditional Diablo 2 system where you walk the first time, but finding a waypoint is (usually) earned for when you come back later. D4 uses this as well but I think the spread of waypoints wasn't optimal; during the main quest there were times I had to re-walk a fair distance. As others have said I suspect they anticipate everyone will have mount so this is just a very minor thing in the first hours of the game. I'm also curious if the mount quest will have to be redone by each character (I suspect the answer is yes) or if it gets unlocked for the account.