Diablo 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Diablo 4

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Re: Diablo 4

Post by Jaymann »

Is this the one you can only play on an iphone watch?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:50 pm Is this the one you can only play on an iphone watch?
Yes
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Looks fine, pretty much what I expected. A prettier game that sticks to the same ARPG formula.

Feels quite dead without any music though.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

You can pre-register for the beta now.

I really hope this game is hard as hell. Not like D3. I want it to be difficult right off the bat and difficult to get to end game. And end game is worthy of the hard fight. Legendary drops that are infrequent. Not like D3 where they drop like candy in a parade.

I liked D3 for what it was, but I'm burnt on the formula. I want more like D2 with an expanded world, harder gameplay, items, etc... I have hope.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:52 am Looks fine, pretty much what I expected. A prettier game that sticks to the same ARPG formula.

Feels quite dead without any music though.
Actually, one big change is the open world aspect, and the way the world changes based upon your actions. That sounds pretty cool and adds some depth to your actions and the story.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

At the beginning of the MS/Bethesda showcase, they announced they'd be revealing an open world RPG anticipated for 20 years. I'm guessing this was it.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:54 pm At the beginning of the MS/Bethesda showcase, they announced they'd be revealing an open world RPG anticipated for 20 years. I'm guessing this was it.
No, that is Starfield, Bethesda has been dreaming about this for years.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grifman wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:01 pm
Alefroth wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:54 pm At the beginning of the MS/Bethesda showcase, they announced they'd be revealing an open world RPG anticipated for 20 years. I'm guessing this was it.
But fans haven't known about it that long. But I suppose it was just a throw away marketing line any way.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Grifman wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:05 pm Actually, one big change is the open world aspect, and the way the world changes based upon your actions. That sounds pretty cool and adds some depth to your actions and the story.
"A world that changes based on your actions" is the BS marketing hype that's been trotted out for years, from Fable to Guild Wars 2. The reality is that, outside of immature procedural generation tech, it doesn't usually make sense to devote resources to developing content that some players will never see. What does get implemented is often flimsy and see-through. Make a choice and a switch is flipped, and what you see is forever phased so you can still exist in a multiplayer space. Or it's an augmentable scripting loop, etc.

Or at least, that's my hot take based on my significantly limited field of view. :P I'd be happy for D4 to innovate in this area. It's certainly true that most any element of freedom will be an advancement for this series. (Other that being able to reload random maps indefinitely... but they weren't that complex in D2, and certain elements were too static in D3.) I'm just concerned whatever they're planning will make travel/traversal tedious... at least when you're doing it for the 50th time.

I feel like there's a push-pull between Diablo the narrative experience and Diablo the endless piñata. D3's redesign was smart to split these experiences between Story and Adventure. D2's gameplay loops are just rotten from a freshness point of view. But the formula hasn't really been improved upon in the past twenty years other than to shuffle tasks and set pieces. But it doesn't really matter, because no amount of detail or depth will stop min-maxing.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:02 pm
Grifman wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:01 pm
But fans haven't known about it that long. But I suppose it was just a throw away marketing line any way.
She described it as the most anticipated open-world RPG of the last 20 years, not that it was anticipated for 20 years. So yeah, it's marketing hype. I'm pretty sure she meant Starfield, since that was the most in-depth presentation of the event and they held it back to close out the show.

If the showcase wasn't restricted to games releasing in the next 12 months, the correct answer would obviously be Elder Scrolls 6. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I hope Bobby Kotick is gone before this is released. I'd like to play it at launch.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I'm fairly certain Blizzard is going to announce D4's release date tomorrow (12/8) at 9am PST. Either that or maybe Open Beta test.

They've been pimping #Lilithiscoming on Twitter all week long and I guess there's some Gaming Awards thing that companies are making announcements at?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, The Game Awards tomorrow. I hope so!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Oops, I never updated this. 6 - 6 - 2x3 (6)!

https://www.pcgamer.com/diablo-4-everything-we-know/
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Not happy.

Poop!
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im in no fan rush hurry.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

A little more information available, I think, although I'm not following closely.

Opinions?

As with most people, I was a huge fan of I & II, and in some ways I really liked III as well. While I am no longer a huge Blizzard fan or even pay attention to them anymore, I was wondering what people are thinking about the upcoming Diablo IV.

G.O.A.T.? Disaster in the making?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Not a clue. I'll check reviews after release and see if I should give a damn. I've played Diablo 3 seasonal content as a filler for a while. I'm curious to see what they are going to do with 4, but totally cool with waiting for reviews and impressions.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

No idea, haven't been following development too closely. What I have seen kind of looks like more of the same, but with a much moodier tone probably somewhere between D2 and D3. The gameplay in the Diablos has always been unmatched in the ARPG genre IMO. Open world and season pass elements seem like an advancement, though I don't know how I feel about dropping seasonal cash on a AAA game I paid full price for ($89.99 CAD!) for what I imagine will amount to cosmetics and maybe some boosts or crafting components? (Just guessing.) Cosmetics feel less important in an isometric view game (if they matter in any game at all).

Anyway, I preordered. Don't like propping up preorder culture, but I can't imagine disliking the game. Even though D3's launch and early life were a disaster, I still played the heck out of it and enjoyed it prior to adventure mode's implementation. I hope they've learned from their mistakes. Preordering a Blizzard game is like preordering a new Mario game. I feel it's unlikely I won't get tons of value out of it. And despite my feelings about cosmetics, I wanted to use the D3 cosmetics in this D3 this season, as I suspect it may be the final time I play D3.

Looking forward to the closed beta this weekend, and the open one over the following one. There's an achievement or two for playing the beta. Not so worried about having the first bit of a Diablo game spoiled.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Get in on the Open Beta test from the 17th to the 19th if you buy a sandwich from KFC.

We live in interesting gaming times.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:47 pm A little more information available, I think, although I'm not following closely.

Opinions?

As with most people, I was a huge fan of I & II, and in some ways I really liked III as well. While I am no longer a huge Blizzard fan or even pay attention to them anymore, I was wondering what people are thinking about the upcoming Diablo IV.

G.O.A.T.? Disaster in the making?
I don't see how it could be a disaster, but I don't know if it will reach GOAT status. I'd say it isn't out of reach.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Anyone playing this on PS5? I pre-ordered the Deluxe edition (it shows "Purchased") that is supposed to give me Early Access to the Open Beta this weekend, but there's no indication of how to DL it. It was supposed to be available for DL at 10:00 my time this morning.

Blizzard says:
Launch the PlayStation Store and search for Diablo IV Open Beta. Select Download.
I search for that and the only thing that comes up is the standard game listing. Nothing about an open beta. :think:
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:14 pm Anyone playing this on PS5? I pre-ordered the Deluxe edition (it shows "Purchased") that is supposed to give me Early Access to the Open Beta this weekend, but there's no indication of how to DL it. It was supposed to be available for DL at 10:00 my time this morning.
Are you sure? Early Access beta is March 17, which is Friday.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

gilraen wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:24 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:14 pm Anyone playing this on PS5? I pre-ordered the Deluxe edition (it shows "Purchased") that is supposed to give me Early Access to the Open Beta this weekend, but there's no indication of how to DL it. It was supposed to be available for DL at 10:00 my time this morning.
Are you sure? Early Access beta is March 17, which is Friday.
Early access beta starts Friday, but it's supposed to be available for DL today. From the article linked above:
OPEN BETA DETAILS
Open Beta and Early Access Weekends Duration
Early Access to the Open Beta begins March 17 at 9 a.m. PDT and concludes March 20 at 12 p.m. PDT.

OPEN BETA EARLY DOWNLOAD
Prepare yourself for the descent into Hell by downloading the Diablo IV Beta early.

Early Access: Early Download begins Wednesday, March 15 at 9 a.m. PDT
In digging further, it looks like I was supposed to get an e-mail with an early access beta download code that I never got. So I'll have to figure out where to get that from.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Access to beta is for pre purchasers only right?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Or those who buy a KFC sandwich, apparently.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

As per usual, check your spam folders etc.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:00 pm As per usual, check your spam folders etc.
For a KFC sandwich?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's Colonel Sanders secret recipe.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

rittchard wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:59 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:00 pm As per usual, check your spam folders etc.
For a KFC sandwich?
Pockets, then?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:35 am
rittchard wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:59 pm
For a KFC sandwich?
Pockets, then?
That would take a pocket dog to a whole new level.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Still no download code for the early access beta. I emailed Blizzard about it yesterday and got this response:
As a game master with all the knowledge I gained, I can inform you that this is a normal thing and no worries about it as the console players will receive the code on 15 of March. So stay tuned, and you will receive the code on time.
Well, it's now late evening on March 16 and I still haven't received anything. I let them know that and attached a screenshot of the PSN receipt showing my purchase of the Digital Deluxe Version. That was about 3 hours ago...nada.

So, maybe I'll be playing the beta this weekend...? Gonna be irritated if I don't, as that was really the only reason I sprung for the "Deluxe" edition. :?

EDIT: An update from Blizzard, maybe I'll get my code so I can download it now!
Keep an eye on your email inbox. The code will be sent to the inbox of the email address that was used during the time of the purchase. Sadly Customer Support is unable to manually send these emails.
Aaaaaaand...still no e-mail. Plus, they closed my ticket and marked it as "Resolved" ( :roll: ) so I will need to start over if I have to contact them again.

EDIT EDIT: So, there may not actually be a code required for console players. You have to go through a series of steps that Blizzard doesn't list anywhere in order to find and download the Beta client. I found this buried in a Reddit thread, and am finally downloading it now:
1. Navigate to the PlayStation Store
2. Search for "Diablo IV"
3. Select the "Diablo IV" entry
4. Open the three dot menu and select View Product
5. Open the three dot menu on the product page and select Diablo IV Beta
Why the hell don't they just list that on their support page?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

from work message:
KFC Diablo 4 Early Access process i used this morning:
Visit website
find cheapest item with beta tag, which was a $2.50 chicken little sandwich
Placed a deferred order (they werent/arent open yet)
Received code at email i entered at checkout 30 mins later. No sign up necessary for the order, checked out as guest.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:23 am Enlarge Image
I need to know more about this new religion. I may convert from worship of the noodly one.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hah.

Forgot one step.

Cancel order.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:43 am Hah.

Forgot one step.

Cancel order.
He followed up that he wasn't going to cancel but he might call and let them know he wasn't coming to pick it up and they could give it away or whatever.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fair.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Cult of Wintereen, celebrators of Wintereenmas.
It's almost as if people are the problem.