Diablo 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: Diablo 4

Post by TheMix »

rittchard wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:54 pm I think the thing in D2 that was really interesting (though some might say frustrating) was that the more points you put into a particular skill would sometimes unlock additional effects and make the skill more fun. But they weren’t clearly spelled out so it was kind of an experiment and I suspect if you played casually you may never have known since some of the bonuses required items that increased skill levels (IIRC).
:o

Apparently I was today years old when I learned about this...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Me too.

I love the concept. Not a fan of it being hidden.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:56 pm Thanks for the write-ups everyone. I skipped the beta because I knew I wouldn't have much time to play, so it's good to hear the first-hand impressions.
There's an open beta this weekend.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Be careful if you have a 3080ti!
Faced with a problem users describe approximately the same symptoms: in one of the cut-scenes in the game, the video card fans suddenly start working at maximum speed and the image disappears from the monitor, just a black screen is displayed. After that, the system stops responding, and even after a reboot, the video card no longer works for many. Most posts issues have been reported by owners of the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti from Gigabyte, although there are also complaints about the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti from EVGA.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gbasden wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:50 pm Be careful if you have a 3080ti!
Faced with a problem users describe approximately the same symptoms: in one of the cut-scenes in the game, the video card fans suddenly start working at maximum speed and the image disappears from the monitor, just a black screen is displayed. After that, the system stops responding, and even after a reboot, the video card no longer works for many. Most posts issues have been reported by owners of the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti from Gigabyte, although there are also complaints about the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti from EVGA.
I read through it and followed a bunch of the links - there are also reports of it doing it to other 30-series cards (3070, 3090.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yeah, the 3070ti just seems to be the most numerous ones affected.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Yikes. I guess I won't be playing the beta, I kind of need my GPU to keep working. Oh well, I suppose at least it saves me from sitting in queues for hours.
naednek

Post by naednek »

one of the ways to prevent it is to limit the frame rate.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I downloaded the beta yesterday at 80gigs then applied a 50 gig patch to that. Im ready for tomorrows open beta.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

naednek wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:52 am one of the ways to prevent it is to limit the frame rate.
People are guessing. It could be that it's true, and it makes sense, but nobody knows exactly why it's happening yet, or what, exactly, is breaking.

I'm a little hesitant to roll the dice on a piece of hardware that I can't afford to replace based on the guesses of random people on Reddit. I'll wait until Nvidia, Gigabyte, or Blizzard chimes in after looking at the issue.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:39 pm
naednek wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:52 am one of the ways to prevent it is to limit the frame rate.
People are guessing. It could be that it's true, and it makes sense, but nobody knows exactly why it's happening yet, or what, exactly, is breaking.

I'm a little hesitant to roll the dice on a piece of hardware that I can't afford to replace based on the guesses of random people on Reddit. I'll wait until Nvidia, Gigabyte, or Blizzard chimes in after looking at the issue.
PCgamer had a pretty good detailed writeup on why it was happening and a good way to prevent it which was what I mentioned above.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

naednek wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:46 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:39 pm

PCgamer had a pretty good detailed writeup on why it was happening and a good way to prevent it which was what I mentioned above.
This article? It's guesswork, mostly based on a different game that had issues with uncapped framerates exposing a weakness in certain cards. They even include this disclaimer:
You can also likely protect yourself from these issues, but bear in mind that without all the information we can't be too certain as to how effective these measures may be.
When we're talking about a thousand-dollar piece of hardware, something where a failure would mean the end of PC gaming for me for the foreseeable future, I'm not taking the risk to get a few extra days of play in a game that I'm eventually going to play to death anyway.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Didn't Amazon's New World do the same thing to the same cards?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:36 pm Didn't Amazon's New World do the same thing to the same cards?
That is the "different game that had issues." In that case, whatever the game was doing was exposing a manufacturing flaw on the cards in question. The game + the card was still resulting in dead cards, regardless of where the flaw lay.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Anyone planning on logging in tonight to try a druid or necromancer? I'm excited to create an undead army to mow down the...um...other undead.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I will try to log in and try a necro for sure. My favorite class. I want to try a necro and sorc in beta.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hyena wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 am Anyone planning on logging in tonight to try a druid or necromancer? I'm excited to create an undead army to mow down the...um...other undead.
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Love
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:58 am
Hyena wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 am Anyone planning on logging in tonight to try a druid or necromancer? I'm excited to create an undead army to mow down the...um...other undead.
Enlarge Image
One of my favorite comic panels ever. Cracks me up every time.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Maybe they changed it for this weekend, but in last weekend's beta only Barb, Sorc, and Rogue were available to play.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:25 pm
Maybe they changed it for this weekend, but in last weekend's beta only Barb, Sorc, and Rogue were available to play.
They did. I'm pretty sure that's why he is calling out those two classes. I played the Necro for about 40 minutes after 25 in the queue. It was more fun than the barb, at least in the early levels.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

How do you get to this early access?

Edit: Waiting in line now. The process was so convoluted by the end I was happy to pre-purchase the game just to get it over with. I was disappointed in D3, but did finish it. Hope this is better.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:47 pm How do you get to this early access?

Edit: Waiting in line now. The process was so convoluted by the end I was happy to pre-purchase the game just to get it over with. I was disappointed in D3, but did finish it. Hope this is better.
Re: Diablo 3, this is more like Diablo II in my opinion. It's a great mix of the two, but leaning more towards the second one. It was the first time in a while that I found myself daydreaming about a game at work, wondering what build I was going to try next. I loved the sorc and rogue, but necromancer has always been my favorite. It was my first real foray into a pet build in any game ever and I really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to checking it out tonight.

To those that have tried, how is the wait time? There was 140-160 minute wait times last weekend, I figured it would be even worse today because not just the pre-order people are going to be on.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It was 58 min earlier today and I left. A bit ago it was just 10 so staying in line.

Got in..made my necro....looked amazing and cool...killed a few wolves and had a small skeleton army..then BAM crash and it wouldn't let me back in..so I shut it down. Ill wait to try again until later. But it looked really neat.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Any word on whether this is still eating video cards or has that been resolved?

I did see a new, "optimized for Diablo 4" driver in my NVidia Control Panel yesterday.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:58 am <snip>
I lol'd.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

From what little I played I didn't get to see something I was looking for. And my friend didn't think to look for it. When as a necro you have a skeleton army do they pick up armor and weapons of the newly dead on the battlefield to better equip themselves and make them stronger? Maybe Blizzard has it and I didn't notice or perhaps they'll add it later? Maybe it is a skill point you could put into them such as Battlefield Scrounger so they do this.

Thoughts?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have a rogue, she has a bow but only uses her dagger. What am I missing?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:59 am I have a rogue, she has a bow but only uses her dagger. What am I missing?
A skill that uses ranged? Take forceful arrow from the first node of the tree for example.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:32 am
Jaymann wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:59 am I have a rogue, she has a bow but only uses her dagger. What am I missing?
A skill that uses ranged?
Lol, I got that to work. Is there a key that highlights loot like the old alt?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I love how arrows can shoot around corners. A real game changer.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

A couple small things I consider good game design:

When you go to a healer you instantly get full life and full potions.

There was a quest where all I had to do was set up and use an emote, but it was seamlessly built into a small story.

Also, whenever I see a necro player in the wild, I get attacked by red wraiths. Is that someone trying to pk me?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The Den Mother boss in a dungeon tower is kicking my ass as a lvl 12 or so necro. Ive learn the patterns and can get my skeletons back up and even use a few corpses for explosions (corpse explosion is so fun it makes me smile) and I can use and pick up new health globes. But I got her to 1/4 health once and the game lagged or something and when it bounced back I was dead from full health and an army of 4 skeletons. After 6 tried I have not gotten closer. There are always bad luck and other little glitches pauses as Im fighting her to keep me on the losing end of the fight. Ill try again later after a rest if I can get back in.

So far Im loving it. Very fun and looks great and great atmosphere. I have yet to find a skill to increase how many skeletons I have or to ge ta skeleton mage. I can see a skeleton mage upgrade in my path but not way to summon one on the way to it.

Id also like to be able to break down and salvage items in my inv out in the world and not have to travel back to town. Thats just a time sink and useless in todays games.

Also took me a long time to find a way to fast exit a dungeon from way down in the bottom of it . I was looking for a little icon on my UI or mini map like in WOW but its on the map actually.

Im not finding the skills very useful up to lvl 10 or so. I had no right click attack until I got corpse explosion. And my main drain health attack for left click and hold has no steal health for me in it which is sad. And I dont see a way to upgrade it to have that or get a skill with it.
Also, whenever I see a necro player in the wild, I get attacked by red wraiths. Is that someone trying to pk me?
As a necro I dont know, Ive never seen that and Ive never been attacked by a player. Is the open world open pvp? If so I better start watching myself. And watching where I click when a lot of us are doing an open world spawn thing.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:24 pm
Im not finding the skills very useful up to lvl 10 or so. I had no right click attack until I got corpse explosion. And my main drain health attack for left click and hold has no steal health for me in it which is sad. And I dont see a way to upgrade it to have that or get a skill with it.
As a necro I dont know, Ive never seen that and Ive never been attacked by a player. Is the open world open pvp? If so I better start watching myself. And watching where I click when a lot of us are doing an open world spawn thing.
Since I posted that I saw a note that says no pvp in beta. Using skills for a rogue with a bow is super easy. Right click uses slot #6 and left click uses slot #5. Also a legendary bow just showed up in my stash (it figures since I already have a legendary crossbow). Must be a perk since I pre-purchased.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lol, made a sorceress and got her to Kyovashad at level 5, where I completely twinked her from the shared stash. Now that's what I'm talking about!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I plan to try a sorc..I really wanted to finish the act with a necro first...but Im stuck in a tower dungeon on the way to the last questing area. May have to give up and come back to it if I want to have time to make a sorc to test. And this is taking away my D3 play time too lol. But its only for this weekend. I cant afford the game on release. Prob not until its played out and drops to like $30 years from now. At least by then I can have magical graphics then. Although it plays and looks pretty great at the settings I have to use. It is kinda dark though..may need to raise the brightness just a hair.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Oh man this is sweet. You reach a point where two NPC's escort you to a boss door, then leave you. But instead of going in I went the other way and am roaming the earth with two invincible companions. Does it get any better than that?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

Aaaaargh!

Trying to complete a multi-part quest and I keep getting disconnected. Getting ready to start my fifth attempt.
I wouldn't be so bad except that is starts me over at step one every time.
It's (depending on how you look at it) a five step quest and I've managed to get to step three but that's the furthest I've been able to get before getting disconnected.

I know that this is the world we live in now but I can't stand the "always on-line" aspect of all games now.
Give me a solo option that doesn't require I be online all the fucking time. Sure, go ahead and check for updates and such but then fuck off with your constant connection.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Word