Octopath Traveler I & II for All Platforms

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaymann

Octopath Traveler I & II for All Platforms

Post by Jaymann »

This is currently on sale on Steam for 50% off to $29.99. Very positive reviews. It mentions Play Remote on TV. Has anyone done this or know how to?

P.S. Skinypupy, I don't mind the grind.
Last edited by Jaymann on Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Re: Octopath Traveler for PC

Post by Jaymann »

Enjoying it so far, but had to tone the music WAY down. I like how you can fast forward through the dialogue. Interesting how it is not full voiced but they hem and haw during speech. Also it says I leveled up, but do I need to do anything or is that all automatic?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I loaded the Steam app on to my TV, and now I can play my library while watching on the big screen. But it plays on the PC at the same time. I was hoping to play on the TV while occasionally pausing to do other things on the PC. Looks like I have to exit the game to do that.

Also I figured out the JP system to buy skills.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'll be curious to hear what you think once you've dug into the game more.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

OK I worked up to a full party of 4 and have some impressions:

There seems to be good balance between leveling/sufficient equipment to handle the foes you encounter.

The splash page says "Unreal Engine" which made me wonder why the characters are so pixilated. Then I realized it is not Unreal Engine 4. The backgrounds look fine.

Combat is difficult enough to make you pay attention. After a couple team wipes I just went back to the last save and leveled up more.

There are save points but they seem to be decently well placed.

I have restarted once because I did not choose wisely on my opening character and found out later you can swap out your team but that original choice is locked in. Because of that, IMO there is one superior choice:
Spoiler:
H'aanit. She has some nice abilities right off the bat but one in particular puts her over the top for me: Capture. Instead of killing a mob you can capture it and that immediately ends the battle. And here's the kicker, if the opponent is stunned you have 100% chance of success on the capture. I haven't tried it on a boss yet, and I can't imagine it would work, but it would be hilarious.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:21 pm
The splash page says "Unreal Engine" which made me wonder why the characters are so pixilated. Then I realized it is not Unreal Engine 4. The backgrounds look fine.
uh... what?

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/spot ... -come-true
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I need to check my settings, my characters do not look like that.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up, it did not default to the highest setting. Plus the TV does not render as well as my PC screen. So fuck that, at least for this game.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I reached Chapter 2 after exhausting all the character origin stories. It is interesting that there is no chapter announcement, only when you reach a town with a Chapter 2 quest for one of your characters it gives you a choice of starting that quest or just visiting the town. I decided I needed to level up a bit more. What is super irritating is I can fast travel to all the Chapter 1 towns, but not the Chapter 2 town, presumably until I start the quest. :hawk:

More on capturing:
Spoiler:
It does not work on bosses or their minions, they are "untameable" and it is not automatically 100% success when you stun (break) a mob. It is a function of damage that takes the % up. Some mini bosses are theoretically possible to capture, but by the time you get them low enough they usually die before you succeed. They are handy to release in battle, but only last 1 turn. It is great for thinning out the riff raff, you don't have to retain the mob (catch and release) and you can replace creatures in your inventory when you catch a better one.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finished the game abruptly when:
Spoiler:
I finished Chapter 4 for my primary character.
Strangely I was building up to be able to:
Spoiler:
get the 4 secret jobs for my main characters. I tried 3 of those bosses but was always defeated. This to me seems like the ultimate goal, so I will continue from my last save.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, I take it that you enjoyed the game if you made it to completion--any thoughts on the exprience?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:51 pm Well, I take it that you enjoyed the game if you made it to completion--any thoughts on the exprience?
Definitely, I can't get enough and will keep playing after the credits rolled. I got a nice item, and can still complete Chapter 4 for the non-main characters. You can swap them in 1 at a time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I finally bit on this one on Switch as part of the summer sale. Only about 3 hours into it so far, but I'm enjoying it. Very different from Triangle, but not in a bad way.

Soundtrack is amazing.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ok, I'm hooked. There are some niggles (like the voice-over yelps on non-voiced dialogue, and H'aanit's ridiculous olde time dialect), but the core combat loop is fantastic. As is the soundtrack (Decisive Battle II, anyone?). Characters are all fun so far (I've collected 5 of the 8).

I'm around 8 hours in, and my kids are both hooked, too. Pretty sure we'll collectively top 100 hours at minimum.

Should this thread title ditch the 'for PC' piece? It's our only Octopath thread and can act as a catch-all across platforms.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Octopath Traveler for All Platforms

Post by Zaxxon »

Update: this game delivers.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:27 pm Update: this game delivers.
50 hours in. I've completed all character's chapter 2, and most chapters 3. I love the whole experience--combat loop is satisfying especially once you start playing with secondary job shuffling--the art is gorgeous throughout, and the soundtrack is friggin' spectacular.

The weaker aspects that get called out in reviews are certainly there--the writing isn't as tight as Triangle Strategy (that game is super wordy but I thought the writing was great so long as you're up for it), there is some grind here, and Octopath lets you wander through the story in your own way rather than holding you to a specific through line.

But it hasn't mattered to me. The overall package has kept me coming back for more, and I plan to keep at it and finish this monstrosity.

Definitely recommend this one.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:28 amand the soundtrack is friggin' spectacular.
I mean come on. There's the obvious stuff that I will include at the bottom, but the thing that has me still raving about this soundtrack is that even discounting the 'popular' songs from the soundtrack (eg Decisive Battle II, the main theme), the rest delivers. Probably helps that my main play area is on the big screen with the nice sound system. I'm sure it's not as impressive on the Switch's built-in speakers.

Town Veiled in White:

All main character themes:

Flamesgrace:

Why Great?

Decisive Battle II:

Main theme:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:28 amDefinitely recommend this one.
I've been following along and have queued this up as next up after I finish Divinity 2.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

About to hit 60 hours in. Just completed the story with 1 of the 8 characters (Alfyn in my case). Still holding my interest--I've got the final chapter for the other 7 characters plus a bunch of side stuff, the upper-tier secondary jobs to get, and the [redacted].

Here's another fun excerpt from the soundtrack--They Who Govern Reason:

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

OT2 is coming out Feb 24, 2023. I'm definitely in. Hopefully will last until BG3 is finished.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:02 pm About to hit 60 hours in. Just completed the story with 1 of the 8 characters (Alfyn in my case). Still holding my interest--I've got the final chapter for the other 7 characters plus a bunch of side stuff, the upper-tier secondary jobs to get, and the [redacted].
Well, it's been 6 months. I took an extended break after finishing the 2nd character, as one of the character's end chapters is filled with a bullshit end fight...
Spoiler:
Ha'anit. Fuck you, Red-eye.
...but I came back after the announcement of OT2, which I will be in for without a second thought. I've now finished 4 of the 8 characters' stories and am hoping to knock them all out in time for the sequel. (Prob will fail at that goal, but it's the goal.)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Therion's done, as well. Primrose next, then back to Ha'anit and finally Olberic.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hello, there, audience (me)! I'm back again, with further updates from my race against the clock to finish up this game before the sequel hits later this month!

This morning I finished up Primrose, and over lunch I obtained my first secret job.
Spoiler:
Sorcerer, which I can already see coming in handy against certain other bosses who are weak mainly against elemental types. The Sorcerer has skills that deal damage of any elemental type 3x in one turn.
Left to do: End chapter bosses for H'aanit and Olberic, 3 remaining secret jobs, and the endgame.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I remember I scoffed at the Dancer job, but it turned out to be surprisingly good.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:15 pm I remember I scoffed at the Dancer job, but it turned out to be surprisingly good.
Same. Sealticge's Seduction is amazing. Took me awhile to realize it also applied to skills targeting allies, though. Makes Reflective Vail a boss-killer.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

OT is probably next on my RPG list after I finish up Trails in the Sky. I'm really looking forward to it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Baroquen wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:41 pm OT is probably next on my RPG list after I finish up Trails in the Sky. I'm really looking forward to it.
It's soo good, if you enjoy the combat enough to not get fed up with random encounters.

Update: H'aanit's tale is complete!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

'Finished' it tonight. Still have endgame content to knock out, but all 8 travelers' stories are complete. I've picked up two of the four secret jobs, so far.

87 hours racked up to this point.

Really the only weakness that actually bothers me about this game is the side quest tracking system. It does a good job listing your open and closed quests, where you picked them up, and a short summary of the quest. And... that's it. No direction as to where to go, what might need to be done, etc.

This would be fine if the quests were mainly logical or obvious. However, a large chunk of the time they involve using the right character's path action on a random NPC halfway around Orsterra from the quest-giver. So I decided to let myself cheat by looking up many of the side quests to avoid getting frustrated. It'll be interesting to me to see whether OT2 improves on this.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:26 pm Image
Thanks for the heads up. Definitely in!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It helps to have played the first game. I started as the hunter and have already made some beast captures.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Re: Octopath Traveler I & II for All Platforms

Post by Jaymann »

Have done 3 of the 8 origin stories on the OT II Demo. They are varied and interesting. The first dungeon had a Danger Level of 5, so of course I got up to level 10 before entering. When you complete Chapter 1 you get a message stating you have 3 hours to roam the open world in search of your allies, but I will wait until I have completed all 8 stories.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Have now completed 6 of the 8 origin stories. Apparently saved data from the demo carries over to the full game. So if you are interested in the game there is motivation to try for free. So far I have not been disappointed.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finished the OT II demo with a party of 4, levels 17,16,16 and 15. Will be a nice jump start when the full game comes out.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:59 pm I finished the OT II demo with a party of 4, levels 17,16,16 and 15. Will be a nice jump start when the full game comes out.
Sweet. I still haven't dipped in (although I did preorder the full game) as I want to tie up a few loose ends in OT1 (and I also grabbed Metroid Prime Remastered).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Octopath II's review embargo seems to have lifted this morning (kudos to Nintendo for setting it a full week prior to release--way to show confidence in the game!). I read them so y'all don't have to if you don't want to. Tl;dr - it's good, it's a worthy follow-up that improves lots of things. The biggest complaint is that there's still not a ton of overt interaction between party members outside of battle (though there is more, through Crossed Story paths).

Nintendo Life - 9
Octopath Traveler II is a triumphant and confident follow-up to its predecessor, building on the established foundation with welcome new ideas and tweaks that make for an overall excellent experience. A strategic combat system, open-ended character progression, well-written stories, gorgeous visuals, and an incredible soundtrack all coalesce into one of the finest RPGs available on Switch to date. Though it may be more of the same, Team Asano demonstrates mastery of its craft at every turn here. We’d give Octopath Traveler II a high recommendation to anybody looking for a beautiful new RPG to add to their Switch collection.
Game Informer - 8.5
Octopath Traveler II does what an excellent sequel should. Instead of breaking new ground left and right, it improves on the original in nearly every way and feels more confident about the stories it tells. There’s still room for improvement in some of its stiffer areas, but Octopath II is a sterling achievement all around.
Polygon
Anyone who’s spent any time in fandom circles knows how a little goes a long way when it comes to filling in the gaps in character relationships. A hand on a shoulder, a passing compliment, a little joke — anything can be fuel for the imagination. There was plenty of time in Octopath Traveler 2, during exploration and combat, when my mind was free to wander and would have done most of the work — if there was any foundation for me to build from. But I can’t help feeling that imaginative fuel wasn’t put into the script to begin with. Without it, Octopath Traveler 2 is beautifully realized, but there’s a hole at its center.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun spends most of its review complaining about how it's basically OP1 on steroids, yet ends with this bit:
And yet.

Despite knowing this moment is almost certainly in my future, and despite the slightly incredulous realisation that I’ll have spent another 80 hours playing almost exactly the same game I did four years ago, I've still had a good time with Octopath Traveler 2. There’s something innately enthralling about it, and while, deep down, there's still lots of things I dislike about it, cor, those battles are just the absolute business. It remains one of the most captivating combat systems in the entire JRPG genre, and it really does feel good to be back in its gorgeous HD-2D world again, reheated story leftovers and all (and I swear I’m not just saying that because we get another stonking Nishiki score to admire in the process, honest). It probably doesn’t need to exist, given how little it moves the dial forward, but I’m glad it does nevertheless – and hey, if you missed the boat the first time round, you may as well just start right here. One day, I’ll finally make good on my promise to give up this ludicrous, stubborn behemoth of a series, but for now at least, this is one mistake I’ll happily go another round on, grievances be damned.
RPGFan - 91/100
I did a funny thing the minute I finished Octopath Traveler II: I booted up the original Octopath Traveler and played around on my old save file.

It wasn’t as good as I remembered.

That’s not really a criticism of Octopath Traveler. Instead, it reminded me of something remarkable about that game—it evoked the memory of how I first felt when I played a lot of the old classics. When I was eight, I felt like the backgrounds of games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV had a beautiful depth of field, even if they didn’t. The synthesized scores sounded grand and operatic at the time, and it didn’t even occur to me that the instruments weren’t real. They all seemed incredibly challenging to me, too, even if most of those games are a breeze for me nowadays. Octopath Traveler sounded like my memory, it looked like my memory, and oh boy, did the difficulty match my memory. It made me feel like an eight-year-old sitting on my floor, staring up at my 20-inch CRT TV again. I adored it.

After just a few hours with Octopath Traveler II, I didn’t have quite those same feelings. Instead of evoking my memories of the classics, I just felt like I was playing Octopath Traveler again. It made me feel like the sequel wasn’t doing enough to distinguish itself. When I got past those first hours, though, I realized I was wrong. While it looks and sounds and plays the way I remember the original, Octopath Traveler II takes everything good about the first game, turns it up to 11, adds a few quality-of-life updates, and is, in fact, the superior game overall.
Nintendo World Report TV - 7.5:

Octopath Traveler 2 OST playlist:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yeah, I went back and fired up OT I for a fix while I wait. My level 70 party could still could not beat one of the arch bosses. I battled one for about 15 minutes and seemed to be holding my own when he one hit my entire party. I don't have the patience to level up to 90 and try again, so this reminded my why I stopped playing.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:01 pm Yeah, I went back and fired up OT I for a fix while I wait. My level 70 party could still could not beat one of the arch bosses. I battled one for about 15 minutes and seemed to be holding my own when he one hit my entire party. I don't have the patience to level up to 90 and try again, so this reminded my why I stopped playing.
FWIW, one thing I've learned in grabbing the secret jobs and finishing the final chapters is that there's a lot of strategery involved with the uber-bosses. Parties in the 40s and 50s can take them (not my parties of those levels, but skilled people). You really have to plan defenses for their major attacks, use proper amulets/charms/rings, etc.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I have a shitload of Switch RPG games that I enjoy but really need to finish. But even though I didn't buy Octopath Traveler I I seem to be tempted by Octo II. Sigh...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:01 pm I have a shitload of Switch RPG games that I enjoy but really need to finish. But even though I didn't buy Octopath Traveler I I seem to be tempted by Octo II. Sigh...
They are not directly related story-wise, so you can start with either. However, you can start with #1 today.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:08 pm
$iljanus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:01 pm I have a shitload of Switch RPG games that I enjoy but really need to finish. But even though I didn't buy Octopath Traveler I, I seem to be tempted by Octo II. Sigh...
They are not directly related story-wise, so you can start with either. However, you can start with #1 today.
Actually you can start with #2 demo today and be up to speed by release.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter