Hogwarts Legacy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Hogwarts Legacy

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:33 pm
El Guapo wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:05 pm Though after I started the game I realized that I made him look & sound too much like Harry Potter, and it's already starting to bug me.
Mrs Skinypupy, who is a huge HP fan, has been watching me play this off and on over the past month. After the final boss battle last night, she quipped “And so ends the tale of Not-Quite-Harry-Potter”.

I lol’d
The main problem is that in game the voice sounds way too much like Harry Potter, more than I realized from just the sound clip. I imagine it's too late to change it without restarting, though, so oh well.
Black Lives Matter.
JCC

Post by JCC »

A friend of mine gifted me this last night. I had one good long play session, and am very impressed. Though, I do find the spell controls unintuitive for some reason. Unfortunately, I am caught up in a second playthrough of Metroid Prime, so will be a bit before I get to it. But, had a very good first day with this.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:05 pm Well, just started this up last night. Looking forward to the adventures of Sir Percival Wizardberg.

Though after I started the game I realized that I made him look & sound too much like Harry Potter, and it's already starting to bug me.
As for the appearance, unless you went a completely different route (female character or other-than-caucasian ethnicity), you kinda are stuck making at least ONE of the main characters from the book. They didn't give many choices there....

And as for the voice, I think there's only one male version and it literally sounds like they got Daniel Radcliff to do the voice acting.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zero-research speculation: "Let's make a Harry Potter game!" "But we only have the license to the setting, not the characters or events in the book." "Hmm... I have an idea..."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Thinking about getting this - am I correct in thinking the deluxe digital items don't really matter, or does anyone feel like they were worth the extra $10?

I probably won't go dark

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:02 am Thinking about getting this - am I correct in thinking the deluxe digital items don't really matter, or does anyone feel like they were worth the extra $10?

I probably won't go dark

They don't matter all. The only real reason to get Deluxe is that it gives you access to both the PS4/PS5 versions (Xbox as well). It also lets you play the game prior to launch, which at this point doesn't matter either.
FTE
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:02 am Thinking about getting this - am I correct in thinking the deluxe digital items don't really matter, or does anyone feel like they were worth the extra $10?

I probably won't go dark

There is also a mount you can get, but it's cosmetic in terms of it doesn't fly faster or anything. But it's pretty damn cool... (I'm a HP fan, so I think it's pretty awesome...)
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Looks like there is also access to the Dark Arts Arena for trying the Unforgivable Curses - anyone try that out?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:52 pm Looks like there is also access to the Dark Arts Arena for trying the Unforgivable Curses - anyone try that out?
I have. It's fun. It's a small, subtle thing, but the tone of the MC's voice changes to a much more menacing timbre when he says, "Crucio!" than when he shouts out the regular spells.time freezes for a sec and he slings out dripping green magic.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I finished up the main quest storyline today. I'm torn on continuing, but I probably will just because I've come this far. 51 hours in, and the stuff I have left doesn't seem to be too egregious. Because I knew I'd have to kill a bunch of trolls and spiders I started doing that early so I don't have many left to knock that out.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm still pretty early on - just finished the quest where you have to grab the book from the library restricted area. Fine so far, although it feels a little slow to get going - I feel like a lot of these games take a long time to get to the interesting / fun parts.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I’m really starting to get into saving beasts. And breeding them. Kind of a neat twist to crafting.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kurth wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:02 pm I’m really starting to get into saving beasts. And breeding them. Kind of a neat twist to crafting.
I ignored that part of the game entirely.

Cool that you can choose to either dig into it or ignore it and still get through the game just fine.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I just flew on the broom for the first time. That was fun. Atmosphere is great. I just need to play more. I tend to play in like 30 minute spurts. So it's slow going.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:34 am
Kurth wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:02 pm I’m really starting to get into saving beasts. And breeding them. Kind of a neat twist to crafting.

Cool that you can choose to either dig into it or ignore it and still get through the game just fine.
Interesting. How did you get materials for crafting traits and upgrading gear? Did you just buy it from vendors?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kurth wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:43 pm

Interesting. How did you get materials for crafting traits and upgrading gear? Did you just buy it from vendors?
I was playing on Easy, so upgrading wasn't really all that necessary. I went in a couple times and brushed/fed the animals to get a few components, but I think I only upgraded my gear 2-3 times throughout.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:49 pm
Kurth wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:43 pm

I was playing on Easy, so upgrading wasn't really all that necessary. I went in a couple times and brushed/fed the animals to get a few components, but I think I only upgraded my gear 2-3 times throughout.
That’s another whole aspect of the game I’m enjoying. While there’s not a lot of difference in gear when you acquire it (simple offense and defense ratings), with the traits you craft on the loom, you can really differentiate your character. It’s fun to play for a while with a big emphasis on fire and offensive spells with your gear all tricked out with traits that boost those spells and then switch it up to an emphasis on defensive traits or ancient magic.

The other thing I like about the system is that while it encourages you to upgrade your gear, the investment isn’t so great that it pains you to sell off that gear and upgrade different stuff when you get it.

I’m playing on normal difficulty, and while I don’t think the upgrades and crafting are all that necessary (the game is pretty easy on normal, even without upgraded gear), it is fun to experiment with.

One aspect I haven’t sone t much time with is potions.I’ve got a nice potion brewing and plant growing setup, but all I ever really do is grow mallowswort for the Merlin trials and brew wiggenweld healing potions. I may try experimenting with sone of the other potions and offensive plants.

There’s a lot to do in this game!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finished up tonight and uninstalled after reading that you don't really get anything for 100%-ing the field guide or doing everything. It was a fun ride and I definitely got my money's worth at around 55 hours of play.
naednek

Post by naednek »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:45 pm Finished up tonight and uninstalled after reading that you don't really get anything for 100%-ing the field guide or doing everything. It was a fun ride and I definitely got my money's worth at around 55 hours of play.
Weird, I've seen people playing quidditch when they reached 100% in the Field Guides...
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

naednek wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:44 am
YellowKing wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:45 pm Finished up tonight and uninstalled after reading that you don't really get anything for 100%-ing the field guide or doing everything. It was a fun ride and I definitely got my money's worth at around 55 hours of play.
Weird, I've seen people playing quidditch when they reached 100% in the Field Guides...
Most likely a mod of some kind, because I've seen nothing in hours of searching. Post a link?

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m pretty sure that was a joke.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:17 pm I’m pretty sure that was a joke.
:mrgreen:
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Joke

Me

:doh:

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ran into a nasty bug in The Antechamber quest. Apparently I had knocked an enemy off of a platform but it was still alive somewhere (there was a red dot on my minimap), and the door doesn't open until you kill all the enemies. I had to reload a save and kill them all again to get past it.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I feel like the game is taking too long to get to the interesting parts. I'm having a hard time finding the motivation to fire it up.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:18 pm I feel like the game is taking too long to get to the interesting parts. I'm having a hard time finding the motivation to fire it up.
It depends on whether you like exploring Hogwarts. I've always enjoyed that aspect of the HP games, and this is kind of fun too. But there could be a bit more action early too (and dear lord, give me a chest in my room to store items in!)

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:50 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:18 pm I feel like the game is taking too long to get to the interesting parts. I'm having a hard time finding the motivation to fire it up.
It depends on whether you like exploring Hogwarts. I've always enjoyed that aspect of the HP games, and this is kind of fun too. But there could be a bit more action early too (and dear lord, give me a chest in my room to store items in!)
It feels like I've been playing a two hour tutorial. Walk here, talk to so and so. Do X simple task. Go there, talk to so and so. Do this basic motion to learn a new spell. Go to a new place, talk to another person. Etc.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:21 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:50 pm
It feels like I've been playing a two hour tutorial. Walk here, talk to so and so. Do X simple task. Go there, talk to so and so. Do this basic motion to learn a new spell. Go to a new place, talk to another person. Etc.
If you aren't hunting for the Field Guide pages, etc, getting interesting things from Revelio and Accio, doing the door puzzles and levitation puzzles and incendio puzzles, then yeah, that's what it is, especially as you'll have to walk to the places before you can add them to your floo network. FWIW, I'm still early in it as well (about 10 hours in and level 13/14). One thing I did see mentioned is that there are apparently dungeons to be found in the areas around Hogwarts - I think it was as part of a quest to meet someone in a hamlet which isn't Hogsmeade

naednek

Post by naednek »

ya it takes a while to open up. I'm level 25 and just recently got my flying mount. It's a slow burn of a game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So has anyone played this as just another RPG? Someone who hasn't seen the movies or read the books like me? It looks really good and a fun adventure.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:25 pm So has anyone played this as just another RPG? Someone who hasn't seen the movies or read the books like me? It looks really good and a fun adventure.
I'm still playing. There's lots to do, lots of collections and tasks. I didn't follow the books or movies and it doesn't really feed into that other than the setting. I don't think it's great but it is well done.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:25 pm So has anyone played this as just another RPG? Someone who hasn't seen the movies or read the books like me? It looks really good and a fun adventure.
(Read the books and watch the movies.) ;)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I'm not the biggest harry potter fan, i've never read any of the books, I have seen the movies but that's about it. I really enjoyed the game, you don't have to know anything about the universe going into it. There are character's with the same sur name as those in the movies, but the game takes place about 100 years or so before the books.
FTE
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So were the books and movies. :coffee:

But no, as it's been mentioned - it recreates that world on its own pretty well, you don't need the original background material... But you will be missing out on a lot of the 'charm'.

If I were you I would save the money for something less ephemeral. Seriously.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

For what it's worth as a casual Harry Potter fan (seen all the movies, only read the first book) I found the game pretty boring. Possible that I didn't give it enough time, may go back to it at some point, but overall it was fairly meh for me.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I also found it pretty meh... but also enjoyed the 'tour' of a Hogwarts world and a look at some of the creatures, etc.

If I never read/watched and (for the most part) enjoyed the books and movies - I don't know how much of it I would have wanted to get through. But knowing the Harry Potter tale, and its having all of this 'history' of Hogwarts - it was interesting (for a while) to examine that story.

This game, btw, had that super annoying thing some RPG games have - where you are free to totally take every single free-standing object of value in anyone's home, store, or office - right in front of their faces... and yet you are also being asked to weigh other actions on some moral scale. :roll:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id love to be playing this and Ive only watched clips of stuff from the movies. The game looks really good though.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My opinion after completing it and with the benefit of some hindsight:

- I'd say the game shines for about 20 hours. I don't know how it would feel to someone not familiar with the IP as I'm a Potter nerd who read all the books and saw all the films. That said, I REALLY enjoyed "living" in that world and exploring Hogwarts.

- I think the game's cracks start to show once you get past that point, as things start to get very repetitive, loot starts to have little meaning, and you sometimes find yourself with an overwhelming number of collectibles to chase down.

It's an interesting game in that I loved it for awhile, but by the end I never wanted to see it again. As such, I think it's one of those titles that I'd endorse wholeheartedly on sale at a $30-$35 price point, but would have reservations recommending at $60-$70.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

This is the first game I’ve played on my new PS5. Partly because I have really wanted to play this game and partly because my wife wants to maybe play and at least somewhat follow my play through.

I’ve only played for a few hours but I’m loving the world setting. The pack rat in me wishes there was a place to store gear because I find way too much to carry it all and I know I’m just scratching the surface.

I haven’t been frustrated by any of the puzzles yet although I know I need to learn a lot more spells and flying and things to explore everywhere.

Maybe I’ll get bored later but the start of this game is phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest