Hogwarts Legacy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

gbasden

Re: Hogwarts Legacy

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:51 pm I'll restore some of the snip.
Turns out the anti-Jewish parallels go even deeper. The game, and books, reference a made up “1612 Goblin Rebellion.” Here’s where things get bad. It turns out there was a real, fatal riot toward Jews that started in 1612 and went on for years. It’s called a pogrom, which officially translates to “an organized massacre of a particular ethnic group, in particular that of Jewish people in Russia or eastern Europe….”

The shofar thing could maybe be explained away on its own, but when you put it together with the pogrom, it becomes really hard to not see a pattern here. On top of that, the 1612 reference goes all the way back to book 3 – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
The likeliest explanation is that the developers simply scraped the lore from the books or some Potterverse encyclopedia and used it as flavor text in the game. Instead, if this was true we should be prepared to accept that JK Rowling researched an obscure pogrom in medieval Germany and slipped a reference of it into a book. It's possible but it sure feels unlikely.
... does that somehow make it better?
malchior

Post by malchior »

gbasden wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:57 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:51 pm I'll restore some of the snip.
Turns out the anti-Jewish parallels go even deeper. The game, and books, reference a made up “1612 Goblin Rebellion.” Here’s where things get bad. It turns out there was a real, fatal riot toward Jews that started in 1612 and went on for years. It’s called a pogrom, which officially translates to “an organized massacre of a particular ethnic group, in particular that of Jewish people in Russia or eastern Europe….”

The shofar thing could maybe be explained away on its own, but when you put it together with the pogrom, it becomes really hard to not see a pattern here. On top of that, the 1612 reference goes all the way back to book 3 – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
The likeliest explanation is that the developers simply scraped the lore from the books or some Potterverse encyclopedia and used it as flavor text in the game. Instead, if this was true we should be prepared to accept that JK Rowling researched an obscure pogrom in medieval Germany and slipped a reference of it into a book. It's possible but it sure feels unlikely.
... does that somehow make it better?
The point I'm trying to make is that it's almost certainly a coincidence and people are just looking for something to fight about.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:58 pm
The point I'm trying to make is that it's almost certainly a coincidence and people are just looking for something to fight about.
oookay. Agree to disagree.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:36 pm
YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:26 pmMaybe it's just a video game set in a fantasy world for kids. God, I hate this timeline. You can't even put out a damn video game without everyone at each other's throats.
This is how I feel. It's exhausting. I've pretty much cut down activity in another hobby because it has become overrun with people constantly spoiling for fights and arguing about this stuff instead of just enjoying something.
Dude. I've been in this community for over 20 years. Do you really think my motive is just to stir shit for the lols?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A goblin rebellion implies that the goblins rose up. A pogrom is certainly not the same flavor as a rebellion.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Crap, I hate when stuff like this comes out. Now if I play the game I will be looking for it and it will mar my enjoyment. It's hardly a smoking gun, but it smells like smoke. If it weren't for the fact that Rowling is a known bigot I would probably just shrug it off.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

gbasden wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:00 am
malchior wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:58 pm
oookay. Agree to disagree.
For sure. And just to be clear, I'm open to more evidence but this idea has support levels that aren't much better than a conspiracy theory at the moment IMO.
gbasden wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:02 amDude. I've been in this community for over 20 years. Do you really think my motive is just to stir shit for the lols?
No and I never said that. Please don't read any of the push back as my believing there is any bad intent. The comment was more meant about this tendency *at large* for people to rip everything apart to find this stuff and influence others. I see the questioning as engaging in reasoned dissent against an idea which I think has significant weakness (without more evidence).
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

And just for the record I was speaking in generalities about my frustration, not about anyone in this thread. Unfortunately this winds up sometimes being an outlet for my irritation with my FB feed, editorials, and other internet irritants.

My only point was that given the obvious effort the developers put in to make the game diverse and gender/sexual orientation inclusive, it doesn’t make much sense to me that they would intentionally pepper it with anti-Semitism.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:15 am And just for the record I was speaking in generalities about my frustration, not about anyone in this thread. Unfortunately this winds up sometimes being an outlet for my irritation with my FB feed, editorials, and other internet irritants.

My only point was that given the obvious effort the developers put in to make the game diverse and gender/sexual orientation inclusive, it doesn’t make much sense to me that they would intentionally pepper it with anti-Semitism.
I agree, mostly. One concern I have is that the lead developer, Troy Leavitt, resigned after people found his YouTube videos.
Portkey itself has come under fire during the creation of the game, with senior producer Troy Leavitt criticized for a YouTube channel featuring anti-feminist and misogynistic videos. That employee has since resigned.
Anyway, like I said I purchased the game and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I brought it up because I was talking with a friend today about the game, and he told me that he feels uncomfortable buying the game now as a Jewish person. Especially given the rise of antisemitism and Nazism that has occurred over the last decade, he was really disturbed about popular mass media portraying these tropes.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:15 am And just for the record I was speaking in generalities about my frustration, not about anyone in this thread. Unfortunately this winds up sometimes being an outlet for my irritation with my FB feed, editorials, and other internet irritants.

That's a great point. Unless of course they were fooled by sneaky source material.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:11 pm They’re fucking goblins. Jon Stewart made a joke about it and the mob did their mob thing. There are a million and one reasons why the whole anti-Semitic goblin charge is a crock of shit, but just listen to the guy who unfortunately — and unintentionally — caused that to catch fire:
He mentioned deeply embedded tropes. What do you think he was referring to?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

gbasden wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:31 am Portkey itself has come under fire during the creation of the game, with senior producer Troy Leavitt criticized for a YouTube channel featuring anti-feminist and misogynistic videos. That employee has since resigned.
Oh god, I had a look at his channel.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:07 am
gbasden wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:31 am Portkey itself has come under fire during the creation of the game, with senior producer Troy Leavitt criticized for a YouTube channel featuring anti-feminist and misogynistic videos. That employee has since resigned.
Oh god, I had a look at his channel.
Right. I looked at it for 10 seconds before I got that he was hip deep on the bad side of the Gamergate affair.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Hey!!! You got R&P in my Games thread!!!

He/Him/His/Porcupine
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fair enough. Back to the game - after some playing at some length there do appear to be some intermittent PC performance issues. I actually think it was the latest nVidia driver that dropped early this week and may roll back to test this theory out.

They aren't persistent (or even that bad) but framerates can be very inconsistent in sections for reasons that aren't clear. One of the early dungeons had very choppy framerate despite being fairly uniform. I'm not typically sensitive but still I found myself dropping from DLSS Quality to DLSS Performance because it was so uneven and random.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

After further testing on the PS5 I can say DO NOT turn off the frame rate cap. It definitely causes stuttering in both the Fidelity mode and Ray Tracing mode. Keep that Frame Rate lock on and they both run fine.

Oh and at about 10 hours in this game remains fantastic and well above my expectations. A dev with no prior AAA game has no business releasing a game that is this good. But I'm glad they did. And again this is coming from someone who really isn't a big HP fan. I've never read a single book, I haven't seen all of the movies, heck about the most experience I have with the Wizarding World is from visiting Universal in Orlando and occasionally seeing parts of the movies as I flip through the channels.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I can confirm as well that turning the frame limit off is a horrific mess. Maybe if you have VRR? It's super bad. I played 2 days in a row in RT mode and find zero reasons to turn it off. Zero performance issues no matter what is going on. I still suck at the combat. I keep on hitting LB to block. I really wish I could have just swapped the Y and LB. :grund: I mean I'm getting through fights, but it's not fluid that's for sure.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I played about an hour last night, through the tutorial and up through the sorting hat bit. As someone with no knowledge of the IP I thought it was...fine. It looks quite good, better than most but not as good as something top tier like GoW or Horizon imo. The combat seems like it will be fun, and the voice acting was very good. However, there wasn't much there outside of the HP license that immediately distinguishes this from any other 3rd person action game, imo. Maybe I was expecting a bit too much after reading in multiple reviews how "my jaw was on the floor after the tutorial". I'm sure that will likely change, as I've just barely scratched the surface.

FWIW, both Mrs. Skinypupy and Little B 13.10 (huge HP fans) were giving a bunch of ooohs and aaahs at characters or other things they saw that were entirely lost on me. :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah a big part of the game's "wow" factor to me is getting to experience walking around in places only hinted at in the movies and that you had to just imagine in the books. I can definitely see how not being familiar with the IP would greatly reduce the sense of wonder.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm not a huge HP fan. I've watched all the movies and thought they were decent. I do love the actual setting and the general ideas though. Like I was totally blown away when I went to the HP stuff at Universal. I like the time period and the general vibe of everything. They have 100% captured it in this game. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned much is the side quests. They are FANTASTIC. They are well voiced and generally fun to do. We'll see if it carries through the whole game, but so far I haven't seen any indication that the game is front loaded.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:30 pm I'm not a huge HP fan.
I actually kind of hate it now, and it has nothing to do with Rowling's clearly scientific definition of genders.

It seems like they want to make it easy for me to stay away. Thanks for the thoughtfulness, HP people.

I did like the first couple of books but never bothered with the last few. Ditto the movies.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Has anyone seen this referred to as a 'genocide simulator'? I saw a Fortune headline but I couldn't read the article. What would be the rationale for that?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Careful on social media. They are randomly spoiling the entire story in pretty much anything related to HP. I read half a paragraph before I realized what they were doing and spoiled part of the story. Honestly I don't care that much about the story so whatever, but seriously this is f'n ridiculous. She didn't murder anyone.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:29 pm
Octavious wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:30 pm I'm not a huge HP fan.
I actually kind of hate it now, and it has nothing to do with Rowling's clearly scientific definition of genders.

It seems like they want to make it easy for me to stay away. Thanks for the thoughtfulness, HP people.

I did like the first couple of books but never bothered with the last few. Ditto the movies.
What makes you hate it now and not before? Because I like it? Man that's not nice. I kid I kid...

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:17 pm Has anyone seen this referred to as a 'genocide simulator'? I saw a Fortune headline but I couldn't read the article. What would be the rationale for that?
Spoiler:
I suspect it's because the game's storyline involves a goblin uprising, and the player can choose to oppose the goblins. If the goblins are perceived to be an oppressed underclass, and you are oppressing and killing(?) them, then you are committing an act of genocide. It's a predictable hyperbolic escalation of the whole thing with goblins supposedly being stand-ins for Jews.
I can't read the Fortune article either, but their elevator pitch seems to be that the whole genocide claim has backfired and served to increase interest in the game rather than to encourage people to boycott it.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:55 pm
What makes you hate it now and not before? Because I like it? Man that's not nice. I kid I kid...
yeah, sorry, was just commenting in a similar vein, not because you like it.

Well, actually, it's sort of that. It's mostly the oversaturation of media with HP (so fans might be partially to blame :wink: ) I'm basically sick of it. I thought they were mildly enjoyable and I was happy to see an author keep all rights and then make it big, because who deserves the money more than the writer?

But now, years later...bleh. I like Radcliffe though, so that's one positive.
malchior

Post by malchior »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:05 pmBut now, years later...bleh. I like Radcliffe though, so that's one positive.
I've actually begun to really appreciate Rupert Grint. Especially after his run in Servant. He has a real ability to play gritty, slightly slimy characters which I 100% didn't pick up in any of the HP movies.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:05 pm
Octavious wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:55 pm
yeah, sorry, was just commenting in a similar vein, not because you like it.

Well, actually, it's sort of that. It's mostly the oversaturation of media with HP (so fans might be partially to blame :wink: ) I'm basically sick of it. I thought they were mildly enjoyable and I was happy to see an author keep all rights and then make it big, because who deserves the money more than the writer?

But now, years later...bleh. I like Radcliffe though, so that's one positive.
Ah I guess I could see getting burnt out on it. I'm that way with super hero stuff and Star Wars. I can't believe how many freaking super hero movies come out AND make buckets of money. So of course they are going to keep making it. Freaking Spiderman has 3 sets of movies and Peter Parker has never made it to his 30's! :lol: I've got an idea! Origin story!

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Not a fan of HP at all, but then again I wasnt a fan of any of the Dark Souls games and Elden Ring became one of my favorite games.
I'm hoping for a similar experience here.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am not a HP fan and also not a hater. I have read the books and seen the movies and they were fine. I don't even find the world very interesting. I mean magic is cool and the idea of a world where magic is here but a hidden thing that you won't ever know about unless an owl drops a letter for you would be interesting, but the books and movies basically never touch on the two distinct worlds outside of the disdain for mudbloods(?). I feel like it could be a really interesting world but not enough is done with that.

What I do find interesting is the gameplay. The loot is a bit disappointing, being random and kind of boring. Basically every piece has one stat and depending on quality will have enchantment slots of different level that may or may not have something in it. I like the little puzzles and all the collectibles and the quests and little story bits you get. I think an understanding of the world helps, but being a fan is certainly not necessary.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Love HP. I have read all the books multiple times...I mean like I read the first one, then read the second one...then read the first one and the second one again before I read the third one, rinse and repeat until by the time the 7th book came out I'd read the first one six times, the second one 5 times, etc. And then I read them all again out loud to my wife and kids.

Went to Universal last spring and was absolutely captivated and enthralled with the castle experience. Felt the dragon's fire in Diagon Alley, bought an Elder wand in Ollivander's. I am a full-on HP dork. I'm like Weird Al's character in the "White and Nerdy" video about Harry Potter.

Please stop talking about this game, I'm trying to finish Cyberpunk 2077.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:46 pm
Ah I guess I could see getting burnt out on it. I'm that way with super hero stuff and Star Wars.
Same for both of those. I don't remember the last Marvel movie I saw. Maybe Ultron? Ironman 3? Something like that.

I haven't watched the last 2 movies of the most recent trilogy of Star Wars (with Rey, who I like) and only a handful of the one offs, and those only because they were streamed and I was going to watch something, why not Solo (as an example)?

I wouldn't say I'm a counter-culturalist, but the complete swamping of the public in PR/media is obnoxious to me, and that's with stuff I like. With stuff that I don't care about, it's offputting.

I lived Star Wars as a kid. I saw them all in the theater when first released (to show my age) and had a star wars blanket, poster, sheets, backpack, figurines, etc, etc. Now? Not so much. Fore me Star Wars ended around the 2nd trilogy.

In any case, I hope this HP game is everything people want it to be. I love a good game.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

More random thoughts:

- I'm a little puzzled at the ability to destroy items in your inventory when you get nothing in return (at least as far as I can tell). No reason not to sell that stuff for precious gold. Especially since all vendors seem to be willing to buy your old gear.

- Highly recommend plowing through the main storyline for a bit before trying to go after collectibles. A lot of stuff is gate-locked behind spells and other things that will open up from the main quests.

- Speaking of collectibles, if you zoom all the way out on the world map and hover over each region, it will tell you exactly how many collectibles remain to be found as well as what level enemies you'll find there. Very useful for once you get your broom and can pretty much go anywhere.

- I want to shake the hand of whoever designed the fast travel system in this game. You can literally just fast travel from anywhere - you don't have to go to a signpost. If you've unlocked the destination floo (done just by walking near it), you can fast travel to it from anywhere at any time.

- Even outside of fast travel, once you unlock the broom they really give you a ton of freedom to just go anywhere. Certain places like Hogsmeade have a barrier around them that prevent you from flying into them, but most of the map is wide open. You can even just fly into high level areas you're not ready for yet just to scope them out or unlock a fast travel point.

- To those preachy editorials and reviewers giving it a low score because of the Rowling controversy, here's your sainthood medal for being the most virtuous person on the planet. Now GTFO and let those of us enjoying this game have fun. I read a one star review of the game today from Wired that almost made my eyes roll out of my head. There's no reason to trash a great game over your personal hang ups. Give it to another reviewer that can separate video games from their moral high horse.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:24 pm - I'm a little puzzled at the ability to destroy items in your inventory when you get nothing in return (at least as far as I can tell). No reason not to sell that stuff for precious gold. Especially since all vendors seem to be willing to buy your old gear.
Is there a limit to how much stuff you can hold in your inventory? If you're in the middle of an adventure and your inventory is full, you might want to destroy something to make room for whatever shiny new thing that just dropped in your lap.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yes you can do quests to increase you storage limit. One of the few things I don't like about the game, but it's so easy to fast travel a vendor that it's a non issue.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:32 pm
YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:24 pm - I'm a little puzzled at the ability to destroy items in your inventory when you get nothing in return (at least as far as I can tell). No reason not to sell that stuff for precious gold. Especially since all vendors seem to be willing to buy your old gear.
Is there a limit to how much stuff you can hold in your inventory? If you're in the middle of an adventure and your inventory is full, you might want to destroy something to make room for whatever shiny new thing that just dropped in your lap.
Yep, that is it 100%. Sell your stuff whenever you see a vendor. I have two inventory expansions and it can still fill up when I go wandering.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That makes sense. I'm still in the early going (just hit Level 17 or 18) and inventory space hasn't been an issue so far.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It was only an issue for me once, I went into a story quest with a nearly full inventory before I had a chance to sell anything, I think, and had to destroy a bunch of stuff to make room to loot. I kind of like that the value is based 100% on the rarity, nothing else so just destroy the greens, then the blues and hope you get something better.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im jealous. Wish I could play. And wish we could play together.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Put in about 4 hours tonight and I have to say, I'm very impressed. While the intro didn't wow me much, beginning the questline and seeing the world open up has been really fun. The storyline is interesting, helped by outstanding voice work and animation (although the lip synching could use lots of work...it's pretty bad). One thing I did not expect is how much fun it is to look around in every nook and cranny simply to see the all the magical doo-dads do their little magical doo-dad thing. It certainly adds a sense of wonder to everything and I found myself wandering just to see what neat thing I could find. That happens very seldom for me in games. While I don't have a frame of reference, I would guess that whatever the "Harry Potter ambiance" is, this game absolutely nailed it.

Every RPG needs to take a lesson from the way this game handles quest navigation and fast travel. While I'm free to wander and explore (mostly), there is never a time when I feel lost or don't know what to do or where to go next. And none of it feels intrusive...it's all very natural and makes sense in the world. It's something that I really appreciate.

Another surprise has been the gear. I really love the fact that I can apply the look of anything I've collected. I got a pair of glasses early on that gave good stats, but looked utterly ridiculous. Being able to morph their appearance into something normal is a great touch. I also though I'd be bored by gaining new robes, glasses, hats, and gloves instead of armor and swords, but I actually find the change quite refreshing.

From what I understand, this is the studio's first AAA game and I'd say they really knocked it out of the park. It's been very fun so far, even from someone with no connection to the IP.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.