[Switch] Triangle Strategy - FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre spiritual successor

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: [Switch] Triangle Strategy - FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre spiritual successor

Post by LordMortis »

And like that Saturday is gone and I'm on Chapter XI. :oops: I've decided Benedict is a horrible advisor and he contradicts himself and the greatness of Lord Symone at every opportunity.

I'm still not clear how decision making influences the game. Especially when some of the decisions I made were like: Buzz you are going to make the other decision anyway. I also hit my first revolt on the scales. I forget the decision, but all four naysayers were supposed to be easily swayed. I played the same persona I'v always been playing and all four people were like, no, I don't think so. Two of them were pretty adamant. This was somewhere between Chapters VII and IX, I think.
Spoiler:
I think it was whether or not we'd transport salt. I wanted to help my people and take the money and provide salt and they were all like, nope, we're too honest for that. Then once they commit me exposing Sorsely, they're all like there is no possible way! Friggen Benedict!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Can anyone tell me what it actually means from a game mechanics perspective when I get the notification that “Serenoa’s Convictions Have been Strengthened”?

Also, got to the part last night where:
Spoiler:
Serenoa has to decide whether he’s going to give the Roselle up to Hyzanthe to be worked to death in the salt mines, or whether he and House Wolfort are going to protect them. Out come the Scales of Conviction. We ended up with a unanimous decision to protect the Roselle, but I was a little surprised we actually needed to consult the Scales on that one. I mean, come on, Serenoa: Your freaking wife is Roselle. Seemed like kind of a no-brainer there.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:06 am Can anyone tell me what it actually means from a game mechanics perspective when I get the notification that “Serenoa’s Convictions Have been Strengthened”?
It means you made a decision or took an action that raised one of your liberty/moratlity/utility scores. On initial play-through, you only get that notice. Once you beat the game and unlock New Game+, you will be able to see your actual ratings and the specific impact that your actions have.
Also, got to the part last night where:
Spoiler:
Serenoa has to decide whether he’s going to give the Roselle up to Hyzanthe to be worked to death in the salt mines, or whether he and House Wolfort are going to protect them. Out come the Scales of Conviction. We ended up with a unanimous decision to protect the Roselle, but I was a little surprised we actually needed to consult the Scales on that one. I mean, come on, Serenoa: Your freaking wife is Roselle. Seemed like kind of a no-brainer there.
Spoiler:
Just you wait.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Arise oh thread of the poorly named game....

So I've hit my first (and probably last) really frustrating stretch of the game. And since it's in the home stretch - time for spoiler tags.
Spoiler:
So I'm playing out the Golden Ending route, and have to split my troops into three groups, each tackling a mission. I believe this is the only route where the group split occurs?

Anyway - while I've split the troops in what I feel is the most strategic way possible, (a spell-caster in each, a healer in each, a tank-ish/melee character in each, etc.) it has dramatically exposed the fact that I left a handful of characters relatively untouched. I'm talking about you Lionel, Horsey-bara, Jens, Medina and oh yeah - Benedict.

Now with some mock battle grinding & significant item use, I got past Benedict's mission after a couple tries. But now, I'm back behind the eight ball with Roland's group of misfits. I think my only option is some significant mock-battle grinding as Lionel and Jens are both in the mid/late teen levels, and the others (Roland/Hawkette/Erador/and the lightning mage) are under the recommended level of 27 or 28.

And that's fine I guess, but just tedious. And I'm guessing the third split mission will be equally annoying for the same reasons. But I REALLY don't want to backtrack to before the split and grind then. So I guess I'm stuck with this. Just venting I guess. Hoping to beat this Roland's mission in the next day or two. At least then there's at least some progress.
Still a great game. Just wanting to wrap it up rather than sink significant time on a grinding treadmill in order to limp across the finish line. But I guess that's a problem of my own making. :doh:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I gave my daughter a Switch for her birthday and told her about this game. I should soon be able to see it in action.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:46 pm I gave my daughter a Switch for her birthday and told her about this game. I should soon be able to see it in action.
Enjoy!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

After significant grinding, I've overcome my latest obstacle toward finishing ...
Spoiler:
I'm still plodding along the "Golden Route" after the roster split. After the previously mentioned grinding to elevate my neglected characters - primarily Jens and Lionel here, but less so Ezana and my regulars Roland, Erador, Hughette and Geela - I managed to clear the "Bound by Sorrow" mission. I was lucky in a number of ways. I used the tactic of starting back behind the gate, and baited a few enemy units to their slaughter before Gustadolph started approaching. Hughette was also effective up on top of the gate immobilizing units when needed.

Somehow, Gustadolph approached up the tower side of the map, more or less isolating him from the healers and supporting units. The healers and battle mages never ended up advancing much. The hawknights were an annoyance, as they kept flying up and injecting themselves in the battle, but after taking damage, they would use their "Rest Wings" healing ability - effectively using their turn. I also got lucky with my special attacks: Lionel managed to tempt a shieldbearer. Ezana paralyzed a couple units (including Gustadolph) with her lightning attacks. I did use up most of my quietus abilities too. Lots of healing and some damage with items. Even Jens spring traps came into play once or twice. Oh - and Svarog actually got involved and was useful rather than wandering back and forth.

Ultimately, after thinning some enemy units on the main level first, Gustadolph climbed the steps near Svarog's tower and didn't have much support. I was able to gang up on him and ultimately take him out. It was very satisfying seeing him finally vanquished.

Now I have one more (I think/hope) of these split missions to conquer. This group has Serenoa, Frederica, Anna and Rudolph. Piccoletta is my tank with her decoy ability. But I totally neglected Hossabara and Medina (my healing for this group).
So I'll have to grind some more but I need to replenish some items anyway. At least I'm one step closer. And despite the struggling through this part of the game (through my own playstyle negligence), it does provide a sense of accomplishment that (for me) is rare with so many games being trivially easy.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I tended to rotate my characters because of the way experience trails off as you approach or surpass the recommended levels. There were times I did the bar fights upwards of three times to get back in to synch but it never felt too grindy. I felt more disappointment than grindy when it came to redoing bar fights, like OK just do this over until it becomes easy and then move on. I suppose that's good if the game is looked at solely through the story telling lens but from the competitive lens it feels off. Like there is no actual victory, only play through. I think that's why I never truly finished Hades. At first losing to build strength was great but eventually losing to get stronger again and again felt hollow.

It was a good story and I very much enjoyed the game play, but there was something hollow that set in, I dunno, around...
Spoiler:
the time you allied the Roselle after exposing one of their salt minister.
Also, I didn't really use items in combat. :oops: I'm a hoarder. Like if I use this now then I can't use it later when I really need it.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:35 pm Also, I didn't really use items in combat. :oops: I'm a hoarder. Like if I use this now then I can't use it later when I really need it.
I'm the same way! In all the games I've ever played, I rarely use items. But this is one of the relatively few times where I needed it to progress, and I'm ok with that. But again, if I had leveled all of my roster rather than just most of it, I probably wouldn't be dragging as much now.

And honestly, I don't mind grinding the bar fights. It was just that my split group felt weak and kind of hopeless. I mean, because of the smaller number of units, I couldn't even clear the tougher bar fights and had to do the easier one over and over for awhile. It was just a slog.

But here's hoping I can get past this last part more quickly.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Chapter XVIII is finished. That battle went much more smoothly than I anticipated. I think it's because my troops were stronger in this group (Frederica, Serenoa and Rudolph can do some significant damage), and the terrain of the salt pit seemed to throw off the pathing for the enemy units. They were pretty spread out, and never quite got their act together.

Again, I'm impressed by the fact that each unit really has unique value. Even the characters I had totally neglected (in this case, Hossabara and Medina) played significant roles in our victory. And ultimately, they were more fun to use than I expected.

So it looks like there's three chapters remaining. I'm not sure if it will be all downhill from here, now with my troops reunited, or if the game is just working up to a big finish. Either way, I'm still having a blast with this and will probably wrap it up soon.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome. I'm still hooked on Octopath and haven't gotten back to this to finish my 2nd playthrough, but I do plan to. In the meantime, your comment about unique character value is something that I've found true with Octopath, as well.

Maybe it's a Team Asano thing. Very different games, but I'm just as hooked on that one as this, and I think that's a key reason why: at any given time, I want to use more of my characters than I'm allowed to, and that creates options for strategery...
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

And ... finished. The last two chapters weren't that difficult, and I finished the game this morning. (I almost thought I screwed myself over because I saved the final battle right at the Unit Placement screen and didn't have a previous save for a LONG time back. If I couldn't beat the last battle with my current troops, there was no way for me to grind except to go WAY back and replay. Oops! Luckily, I made it through).

What a great game. All of those story/cutscenes that I tolerated at the start of the game helped establish the story, characters and game world I think. And the battles were challenging enough that I had to restart the round many times over the length of the game, but was never too frustrating. (And I could have always upped or lowered the overall difficulty if I wasn't happy with the game play). I already mentioned how fun and unique the characters were, and I loved how they grew over the course of the game. I'm still impressed that I used and enjoyed each of the characters I recruited (except Groma who I got too late in the game to use), and that they all had value. Perfect example would be Medina - who I actively avoided because she used items instead of abilities. And yet, I grew to value her and used her as my secondary healer in the final battle. Which let Narve concentrate on damage. Ezana is another one who I ignored in favor of the other spellcasters, yet included her in my last battle too because her powers grew on me over time.

And despite almost never re-playing games I'm almost tempted to come back around to this one. The New Game+ changes are intriguing, and I'd almost like to play around with some of the other characters. Plus - the story was long (judging from the snapshots from the end credits) and I forgot a lot of the twists and turns. But I don't think I'll do it anytime soon. Too many other games to play. (I'm really intrigued by Live a Live, and trying to get through KOTOR, and have Dragon Quest III ready to emulate. Plus my daughter is playing Bravely Default II, which I might like to try, and Octopath is out there too). So yeah, probably not replaying this soon despite its awesomeness. But maybe someday.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Very similar thoughts to mine. I did get about halfway through my NG+ run before I got distracted. Now I'm ~40 hours into Octopath, with Live A Live and Xenoblade 3 starting to call me afterward.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Today I learned that Square has a new game called, and I shit you not, Various Daylife.

They're just fucking with us now, right? Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy, ok--at least on some level they make sense. Bravely Default didn't make sense but at least it sounds cool/mysterious to some subset of the population. Various Daylife? GTFO.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

"Various daylife"... Sounds like a lyric Bowie was originally going to use before wisely choosing "serious moonlight".

As silly as the name is I am enjoying Triangle Strategy on my new Switch! Next time someone asks me to decide something I'm going to dramatically bust out my Scales of Conviction!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:13 pm Next time someone asks me to decide something I'm going to dramatically bust out my Scales of Conviction!
But only after running outside, walking up to people and waiting for them to say something, running into people's houses to loot stuff, and looking for a cat to see it meow, right?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's out on Steam. A little pricey at $59.99, but downloading now.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also notable that it's on sale ($42) in the Switch eShop for the first time.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

I have 5 GMG 20% off vouchers if anyone is interested.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So far (after 1 battle) I effing HATE the combat on PC. You click who you want to attack. Nothing. You click a square and who you want to attack. Nothing. Then you must click the square again and it sometimes works. If you can't reach an enemy and just want to move to a square you have to click it 6 or 7 times to get it to work. The combat is so wonky I had to set it to super easy just to advance. :x

Oh and apparently you cannot attack an enemy on an adjacent square, you must move first. :doh:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I was hoping the ! in the green circles on the map would lead to some side missions instead of just talking. Does this happen eventually?

I failed to persuade a vote the way I wanted. Is it worth reloading and trying again, or is the vote just a sham?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:57 pm
I failed to persuade a vote the way I wanted. Is it worth reloading and trying again, or is the vote just a sham?
It's not a sham, but you can't always influence everyone. And for those you can, you often need to have had the right conversation choices and/or interactions with others outside the voting area before you choose to hold the actual vote.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LOL, I looked it up in a guide and even though I lobbied against it, I apparently lucked into the "better" decision:
Spoiler:
I really wanted to keep Roland in my party, I just upgraded his weapon. But apparently I would have to burn down my own town. Looks like you get him back later so I will not try to undo surrendering him.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The 'worse' decision can be a doozy, too.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:27 pm The 'worse' decision can be a doozy, too.
Makes for replay value.

I also found you get exp and loot from the mock battles. I had rejected them earlier thinking they were just tutorials. I had wondered why the main battles had a suggested level if there was no way to level up.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:21 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:27 pm The 'worse' decision can be a doozy, too.
Makes for replay value.

I also found you get exp and loot from the mock battles. I had rejected them earlier thinking they were just tutorials. I had wondered why the main battles had a suggested level if there was no way to level up.
Yeah, those are def worth doing.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:51 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:21 pm
Makes for replay value.

Yeah, those are def worth doing.
Also, it’s a good way to earn kudos so you can purchase Quietus cards and medals you can use to promote your character along with some rare resources for upgrades.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:21 pm I also found you get exp and loot from the mock battles. I had rejected them earlier thinking they were just tutorials. I had wondered why the main battles had a suggested level if there was no way to level up.
I well past losing to the "worse" decision before realizing you can grind those mock battles for exp and loot with exp being a diminishing return. My best characters were three below the recommended levels moving of the fights they were in when I started playing mock battles more than once. The good news is you level pretty quick you are way low and don't have grind much to catch up.
Spoiler:
You don't have to burn down your town and you people will be happy you didn't. I only managed to do it by using the flying range striker and spending like 30 minutes jumping from building to building after I had killed all their spell casters.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:41 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:21 pm I also found you get exp and loot from the mock battles. I had rejected them earlier thinking they were just tutorials. I had wondered why the main battles had a suggested level if there was no way to level up.
I well past losing to the "worse" decision before realizing you can grind those mock battles for exp and loot with exp being a diminishing return. My best characters were three below the recommended levels moving of the fights they were in when I started playing mock battles more than once. The good news is you level pretty quick you are way low and don't have grind much to catch up.
Spoiler:
You don't have to burn down your town and you people will be happy you didn't. I only managed to do it by using the flying range striker and spending like 30 minutes jumping from building to building after I had killed all their spell casters.
Thanks! Armed with that information I am going back to a pre-decision save and will level up first.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm glad I checked a guide. To get the best character in the game you have to make certain decisions, some of them fairly early on. Glad I haven't already borked it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I'm glad that I checked a guide for voting outcomes. As much as I loved this game, I knew I wouldn't replay it. And with that in mind, I'd rather get the 'best' ending rather than taking my chances and getting stuck with an ending that might not be as satisfying.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:53 pm I'm glad I checked a guide. To get the best character in the game you have to make certain decisions, some of them fairly early on. Glad I haven't already borked it.
Nor sure if/when I will get back to the game, so now I have to figure out if I want to look at the guide to find out what you are talking about.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This is fucking crazy! I fought the battle in the town where there are 2 archers on the rooftops. I killed all the enemy soldiers except them, but could not reach them any way.

I had the ladder guy, and "Ladder" lit up next to the building, but no ladder was put up no matter how many times I clicked it.

I have the flying archer, and the roof showed purple squares, but she wouldn't fly up there.

I have the assassin with jump, but she couldn't jump up there.

I have the long range archer, but he couldn't reach them.

No spells could reach them.

The only way I could win the battle was to retreat all my forces to a blue corner and the idiot AI sent the archers off the roof to reach me. :evil:

Is there something wrong or am I just incredibly stupid?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:39 pm I have the flying archer, and the roof showed purple squares, but she wouldn't fly up there.
If it's not clicking are there keyboard command?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:17 am
Jaymann wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:39 pm I have the flying archer, and the roof showed purple squares, but she wouldn't fly up there.
If it's not clicking are there keyboard command?
I'm going to have to check that, but everything else works with a click. :hawk:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It does sound like a control issue.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I tested on another map and I can fly up no problem by clicking. I must have glitched that map somehow.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ha ha, I have a salt lamp on my desk that looks exactly like the salt crystal in the game.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I got the Golden Route, but a word of warning:
Spoiler:
If you go that route, the great news is you get General Avlora in your party and an extra chapter! The not so great news is you have to split up into 3 regiments, which means you need to level up all of your marginal team members. I suppose you could just let them get owned in battle, but not my style.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finished the game with two endings:
Spoiler:

The Golden Route where you get General Avlora in your party. Started a New Game+ where you retain all your party members and items. The main benefit so far is a new set of higher mock battles to utilize your badass party.

I wonder what happens as the story progresses to the point where you fight Avlora. Does she leave your party for that fight, or is there a new general?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter