[Switch] Triangle Strategy - FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre spiritual successor

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

wonderpug

Re: [Switch] Triangle Strategy - FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre spiritual successor

Post by wonderpug »

Thank you again, forum effect! I’m partway through Chapter VII and really enjoying the game. Some of the characters are a little stale, but overall the storyline is engaging enough that the lengthy cutscenes aren’t bothering me. Thumbs up so far!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:40 pm Thank you again, forum effect! I’m partway through Chapter VII and really enjoying the game. Some of the characters are a little stale, but overall the storyline is engaging enough that the lengthy cutscenes aren’t bothering me. Thumbs up so far!
I'm with you on the writing (and have similar thoughts on the voice acting). I am, however, fully engrossed in the story overall. Homing in on 40 hours, and am somewhere in chapter 17.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Whelp, first time I've found myself heading to bed at 3 am for a game in awhile...

Spoiler:
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Up to Chapter VII now. Really enjoying it. But I always have a hankering to take out all enemies in a battle, even though there's no bonus for doing so, and the maps are designed for that not happening.

I'm also amused how many times I've done the new character stories and been underwhelmed by the person's story, or design (or voice acting). And then I see their abilities and use them in battle and grow to appreciate how cool they are. It's happened at least 3 or 4 times already.

That, plus the additional abilities as they level up really keep things interesting IMO.

I haven't used the quietuses at all yet. I keep forgetting I have it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Baroquen wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:47 am I haven't used the quietuses at all yet. I keep forgetting I have it.
Lol, same. I even keep reminding myself in the encampment to use them during battle, but never remember to actually do so.

My progress has slowed a bit, as I’ve started my annual “play Guild Wars 2 up to level 60, then get bored and quit” excursion, which takes a couple weeks. I’ll be back at Triangle Strategy soon, I expect.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:56 pm My progress has slowed a bit, as I’ve started my annual “play Guild Wars 2 up to level 60, then get bored and quit” excursion, which takes a couple weeks. I’ll be back at Triangle Strategy soon, I expect.
Yeah, I have the GW2 expansion bought, from a few months back, but have yet to play it. I'm still rotating between FFXIV, daily casual Fortnite, and a retro-pick of Dragon Warrior 2. The biggest obstacle for me will be MLB: The Show coming out in 2 weeks.

But since I can play Triangle Strategy in short spurts, I don't think I'll abandon it and will eventually get through it. Just a slow pace.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've made it to the final battle, for the choices I've made, and boy is it a doozy. I was underleveled on my first attempt and got my ass handed to me.
Spoiler:
I'm freeing the Roselle, and Idore's forces are a PITA. I have to protect both ends of a bridge while several Roselle cross it, and if a single Roselle dies, I lose. Combine that with a ton of Hyzante reinforcements coming in and terrible Roselle NPC AI, and it's a bit of a chore.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

New Game+ engaged. Final playtime clocked in at 47 hours for the first run through. I'm happy with my ending, but it was definitely not the golden one.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:30 pm New Game+ engaged. Final playtime clocked in at 47 hours for the first run through. I'm happy with my ending, but it was definitely not the golden one.
Nice, glad you liked it.

JSRPG is often such an overlooked niche genre. When it’s good (like this one is) it can be SO damn good.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think I just watched/read two movies to participate in what I think were two practice battle over five hours. Makes me wonder what my convictions look like behind the scenes. I don't think I'm going to get along with the kite shield defense guy. During our first Scale of Conviction conversation, he didn't seem to thrilled with me. He's probably not happy with the idea that the second I got my freedom to run around as I saw fit, I went and looted people's houses.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's soo expositon-heavy. For the whole game, but especially for the first few hours.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Well played game. I finally get to my third battle only to find out my first conviction decision following my role play sees me completely deceived about the direction I was guiding my party all along. Makes me wonder what they whole other path is like and what different role playing would see you do.

Note: I have chosen compassion for my betrothed and equality for all on behalf of her and Roland as my style of play. I'm in Chapter IV right now. So it's off to read some spoilerish leading up to where I am unless it takes me down the paths I haven't chosen. This game looks like it will have some replay-ability.

Edit:
The main complaint is that you spend more time talking than playing, which is certainly the case in the early game, in which I'd include the demo chapters. The balance does even out as the story progresses. I've enjoyed the exposition, though, which is why I don't mind it. It's all voiced, the voice acting is pretty good (I agree that it's not spectacular, and the main character, Serenoa, is one of the weaker ones), the dialogue is well-written, and it's more time for me to take in the gorgeous art.
I'm still in the endless expostulation part. I'm OK with it on autoplay. The conversations flow like a script on autoplay but they feel forced and poorly acted if you keep hitting <a> to advance the conversation.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

My recommendation (worth its weight in coal) is to play through without spoiling, just choosing the options that you like best. Without spoiling anything, New Game+ which unlocks after your first completion makes it easier to track other path/conviction/NPC recruitment options.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:58 pm My recommendation (worth its weight in coal) is to play through without spoiling, just choosing the options that you like best.
I've developed a personality and I plan to stick with it and see how the game works. Seonora is very much disillusioned with his sojourn (Chapter IV) at this stage but he still committed to his fiance and his best friend and "the people", while still having all these things in the context of filling his father's obligations.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I just passed 55 hours. Started chapter 5 in NG+. This is the point at which the Scout feature unlocks, showing what conviction values are needed to recruit missing characters. Fun times.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm also on Chapter V... But in the first time around. I have two conviction characters. I look forward to the fact that there is a second game many hours later (Assuredly many more that 55 for me) where I get to understand some of the mechanics of the game... and can make different story choices... Well, choice so far...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:55 am I'm also on Chapter V... But in the first time around. I have two conviction characters. I look forward to the fact that there is a second game many hours later (Assuredly many more that 55 for me) where I get to understand some of the mechanics of the game... and can make different story choices... Well, choice so far...
One thing that I have found nice, in addition to the obvious NG+ stuff like having more insight into what effect my actions have on stats and unclaimed characters, is the War Chronicle's 'Path Traveled' display. When playing through successive times, your prior path(s) are shown alongside your current path.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Truth.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:59 pm Truth.

Not even that far in to the game and ayup. (Though I haven't seen the earring yet)

And his bodyguard is the bird right? Hughette? She goes down a lot too. I don't know why. I try to keep her out of things and yet she has a target and poof. I really should learn to use healing pellets. :oops:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've discovered something about the conviction mechanic that I very much think is not great. Not going to spoil this as I don't think it's really a spoiler, just some insight into the mechanics of this system as visible once New Game+ opens up. But be forewarned if you're touchy about that sort of discussion.

The convictions are morality, liberty, and utility; no surprise there. But they are tracked independently, and each in-game choice impacts exactly one of them. In other words, you can grind all three of them, and even though many of the game's choice scenarios are very much a case of choosing morality at the expense of utility, or vice-versa, or some other combo, the system isn't built this way--your convictions are never reduced through your actions. You just work toward eventually being uber-convinced that you should value all three a huge amount.

I can see why they made this choice, as it would have increased design complexity a bunch to have each conviction be dependent on the others. It probably would have led to some player frustration, too, if by raising one conviction you reduced others (making roster character hunting more of a PITA). But on some level I was disappointed to see that the system is so simple behind the scenes.

This is certainly not something I'll lose sleep over, or that will cause me to trash my desire to re-play the game. But since I've been so effusive in my praise, I figured I should be open with my disappointment, as well.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:55 am And his bodyguard is the bird right? Hughette? She goes down a lot too. I don't know why. I try to keep her out of things and yet she has a target and poof. I really should learn to use healing pellets. :oops:
I haven't had a huge problem with Hughette dying, but I also have her largely tucked away from danger most of the time. I tend to lose Roland a lot (hence the resurrection jewelry going right on him and staying there), and often find myself leaving Frederica exposed. I've also learned that I am the worst at using Sunfall. I will routinely think I have everyone lined up for a devastating attack, and then when it eventually fires she's left doing nothing but making a light show for the crowd.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Got to the weekend so I'm ready to sit down an play. Took the day off because I can do that anytime I want now. I sit down and I start up Chapter VII and the left controller needs charging... Well, I get most of the weekend to play games this weekend, so it's a TV kinda day after gathering stuff up for city recycling tomorrow. TV, Video Games, and cleaning out the house in one day, all while making myself healthy meals. I have arrived!!!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice. The good news is about 10 min of charging will get you hours of play.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I did not know that. Maybe I'll be playing before bed rather than waiting until tomorrow.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So I'm deep into chapter VII and I'm thinking about doing the total reset after hitting my first actual tough battle. I'm not liking how I spent money and my leveling seems to be falling further and further behind recommendations. I want to do the same role play but play the character build smarter and milk some of the experience gain, Especially believing I am still early into character building... and the game, in general, which is hard to believe after it says I've played some 14 hours. I will see if I'm for the the exposition again. Probably...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I wouldn't restart. You can get/grind levels and materials in the encampment. (At the bar.)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:01 pm I wouldn't restart. You can get/grind levels and materials in the encampment. (At the bar.)
I think I'm in the exact same spot. I'm grinding levels (and money) at the encampment to try to win that battle (in the manner I'd like to do so). The only choices I think I might regret, (that I can't change easily via grinding/etc.) is promoting one character over the other, and to a lesser exent - upgrading my weapons. The mats required for those two progression paths seem limited - especially the character promotions. Hopefully that opens up a little down the line? But yeah, I can't imagine restarting entirely.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:01 pm I wouldn't restart. You can get/grind levels and materials in the encampment. (At the bar.)
What? You can redo fights at the bar. I assumed when the check was done, so were you. Phooey. I suppose I should have tried that on my own before I reset. Ah well. I can live with doing it again.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Baroquen wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:35 pm
I think I'm in the exact same spot. I'm grinding levels (and money) at the encampment to try to win that battle (in the manner I'd like to do so). The only choices I think I might regret, (that I can't change easily via grinding/etc.) is promoting one character over the other, and to a lesser exent - upgrading my weapons. The mats required for those two progression paths seem limited - especially the character promotions. Hopefully that opens up a little down the line? But yeah, I can't imagine restarting entirely.
The materials do open up a bit. I'm on chapter VII on my 2nd playthrough, have only re-done bar fights a few times, and have upgraded some characters nearly all the way (which is hard, as each successive unlock within a particular weapon level costs progressively more). Materials are definitely limited, but I haven't found it to be super restrictive. Between buying using Kudos and money in the encampment, earning in mental mock and real battles (get all the spoils!), picking things up from sparklies in exploration sections, and buying from the merchants you'll see in some exploration sections, there's a lot out there to be had.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sunday went to waste and I'm back at Chapter VII (first half) and am doing bar fights. Not sure if I like it or not. I'm glad it allows me catch up but I'm not so thrilled with grinding to move forward. Still, it's a way to play more and take breaks in the narration. :D I'll choose my promotions and weapon upgrades more carefully this time when I get to them. I can be a bit more sloppy with general purchases though.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

FWIW, I've seen other complaints about not having enough materials, but I'm not sure why it hasn't been an issue for me but is for others. When I say you can grind, of course that's possible by the normal definition of the term. But I haven't really 'ground' anything. I've done each bar battle once, and have repeated occasionally when I want to take a group of characters that I don't routinely use. But I'm not grinding in any significant sense--I haven't done any of the battles more than 3 times, and my average still trends toward once/battle.

For perspective of where I'm at, I'm on chapter VII on my first NG+ run. I have 24 (I think) of the 30 characters, and all but a couple are elites. Most have the top-tier weapon. None have every skill tree unlock opened, but the core group of Serenoa, Frederica, Roland, Benedict are getting close.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you're 'actually' grinding (playing one battle 10x or something crazy like that), then we are having very different experiences.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:12 am FWIW, I've seen other complaints about not having enough materials, but I'm not sure why it hasn't been an issue for me but is for others. When I say you can grind, of course that's possible by the normal definition of the term. But I haven't really 'ground' anything. I've done each bar battle once, and have repeated occasionally when I want to take a group of characters that I don't routinely use. But I'm not grinding in any significant sense--I haven't done any of the battles more than 3 times, and my average still trends toward once/battle.

For perspective of where I'm at, I'm on chapter VII on my first NG+ run. I have 24 (I think) of the 30 characters, and all but a couple are elites. Most have the top-tier weapon. None have every skill tree unlock opened, but the core group of Serenoa, Frederica, Roland, Benedict are getting close.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you're 'actually' grinding (playing one battle 10x or something crazy like that), then we are having very different experiences.
I just started replaying bar fights. I'm not likely to play many of them a lot. I noticed experience gain drops as you approach appropriate level and the main reason to grind, IMO, is to catch up on experience level. Before I was evenly distributing leveling to make sure I always had an appropriate group on hand. Roland and Serenoa were the only ones close to appropriate level. Everyone else was falling behind. Now I am redoing bar fights solely as a means to level the laggards. I'll worry about equipment stacking later. Materials and cash are weak but it's no big deal. This time, I'm spending Quin... whatever like drunken sailor though. I should slow down on that, hoping the medals start to flow soon.

Not sure when I'll get to put in more time this week. I gave it too much of my weekend, which means a backlog of chores, and as little as I am inspired to do work, they are still paying me, so I am still trying to meet my goals to hand off the very last of my responsibilities before final exit slated for the end of the month. I'm still closing a huge backlog of pendings and haven't even gotten to planning a training plan for the next people up.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:34 amNow I am redoing bar fights solely as a means to level the laggards. I'll worry about equipment stacking later.
This is how I mostly use them. If a character is far enough behind, they get 100 XP for virtually any action. I'll try to rotate a laggard into every battle, mock or story, at least when the limit on characters is higher (eg 9 or 10). Also, pro tip: make sure to have your lagging characters take an action every turn whether you need to or not. Skipping turns can be handy for the speed boosts that grants, but for the laggards it's far more useful, IMO, to maximize the XP gained.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:37 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:34 amNow I am redoing bar fights solely as a means to level the laggards. I'll worry about equipment stacking later.
This is how I mostly use them. If a character is far enough behind, they get 100 XP for virtually any action. I'll try to rotate a laggard into every battle, mock or story, at least when the limit on characters is higher (eg 9 or 10). Also, pro tip: make sure to have your lagging characters take an action every turn whether you need to or not. Skipping turns can be handy for the speed boosts that grants, but for the laggards it's far more useful, IMO, to maximize the XP gained.
That's what I try to do. I don't have a big enough crew I guess to have anyone getting 100xp per action. That's insane. I do have people getting 25ish per action as laggards in any new area. That's a level every 4 actions or less when I get them in to do combo attacks.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Got back to where I reset last night, nope. Still not great.

In Chapter VII storyline spoiler:
Spoiler:
Trying not to burn the town down, it's jut not happening. Alvora can one shot half my crew. I can't avoid her while killing eliminating everyone else and if everyone else is around while I take her down, everyone is whittled down trying to hold the line against her.

I can get to the 3rd wave easily enough and by then I've got Alvora on the ropes but when the third wave comes, I fall like a house of cards and she's still around at like 30 life but damage doing troops are gone.

I'm not sure if I'm going to try and get the full crew to level 10 or even grind to 11 (yeah, no) or if I'm just going to burn the town to the ground.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That battle was a bitch.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Fired this up for the first time last night. Going on my first business trip in a long, long time today, and I’m planning on getting some good travel gaming in with Triangle Strategy.

I played for an hour or so so far, and definitely see what people mean about the exposition. But I think the battles are going to be just what I’m looking for.

Also, Roland most definitely died in that first battle. :D

I’m guessing that’s a hint of what’s to come.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:02 am That battle was a bitch.
Met my goal! Hughette was the only survivor. She leveled five time in the battle. Sniper FTW!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:15 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:02 am That battle was a bitch.
Met my goal! Hughette was the only survivor. She leveled five time in the battle. Sniper FTW!

I love Hughette. Sometimes she gets her ass kicked, but she is awesome when properly positioned. And Sights Set is sweet.