Password protected .docx file help

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Password protected .docx file help

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I guess this belongs here, not sure:

tl;dr I'm locked out of a docx. file (password protected) and need help

So a few years ago, I was going through some pretty deep emotional/mental shit. Journaling has been touted by many mental health professionals as extremely helpful (not just in times like that, but in general). After a particular incident which almost ended my marriage, I wrote down the details...venting "on paper" basically. For some reason I chose to put this in a Word doc (I had not discovered the online, secure journal that I use now), probably because I could pw protect it.

The problem: my brain has subsequently blocked this "event" from memory, and I think it might be important to really moving on from several issues I am currently having.

Anyway, for the past couple of years, I have not been able to get into that sucker, even though I feel certain of the password. I think what happened is that I set up an initial password, but must have changed it (why?!) later, but my stupid brain only remembers the original one. I have looked on every piece of paper I have (I also distinctly remember writing it down somewhere), tried variations of the password I THINK it is, and nothing. It's only important to me because I think if I address THAT THING that happened, then I can improve in many areas where I am not doing so great right now.

Since a lot of you guys are in IT, I thought I would ask for suggestions (or if it's even possible) as to how to get into it.
Pyperkub

Re: Password protected .docx file help

Post by Pyperkub »

Have you tried these steps?
In this article, we are going to share with you several ways to recover/remove a forgotten Word password and then you can easily open the password protected Word doc/docx file for editing content or making changes to the document.

Solution 1: Open Password Protected Word Document with VBA Code. (Free)

Solution 2: Open Password Protected Word Doc File by Removing the Opening Password. (The Fastest)

Solution 3: Open Password Protected Word Doc/Docx File by Recovering the Opening Password. (Fast and Works for Any MS Word Document)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:48 pm Have you tried these steps?
In this article, we are going to share with you several ways to recover/remove a forgotten Word password and then you can easily open the password protected Word doc/docx file for editing content or making changes to the document.

Solution 1: Open Password Protected Word Document with VBA Code. (Free)

Solution 2: Open Password Protected Word Doc File by Removing the Opening Password. (The Fastest)

Solution 3: Open Password Protected Word Doc/Docx File by Recovering the Opening Password. (Fast and Works for Any MS Word Document)
I have not, thanks! I did try a couple of methods before that did not work, or I guess I didn't have the technical skills to do it (one involved decrypting the file which was a huge mess).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Make sure you're working with backup copies in place.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:37 pm Make sure you're working with backup copies in place.
Yes, do this! ;)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Do you guys know if the software they are selling in that site is legit? This is a docx file and the non paid solutions only work for word files up to office 2003.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Haven't checked. It was just the first result which came up on my ddg search.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The one that keeps coming up in my searches is Passper. There are also a few other methods.

can try this too:

How do I open a password protected MS Word file?

Backup the file first, of course!
It depends on the version of Microsoft Word. But for the documents I tried, the following way was suitable:

Locate your Word-File in the Explorer/Finder
Rename the file ending to .zip
Open the zip file
You should find a file ‘password.xml’ inside the.zip
Delete that file
Rename your Word-File back to .doc or .docx and you are done!

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:09 pm The one that keeps coming up in my searches is Passper. There are also a few other methods.

can try this too:

How do I open a password protected MS Word file?

Backup the file first, of course!
It depends on the version of Microsoft Word. But for the documents I tried, the following way was suitable:

Locate your Word-File in the Explorer/Finder
Rename the file ending to .zip
Open the zip file
You should find a file ‘password.xml’ inside the.zip
Delete that file
Rename your Word-File back to .doc or .docx and you are done!
Great, I'll try that. Tried a couple so far, but they all seem a bit sketchy, and none of them worked. For the brute force options, the trials only give you like 12m of "trying" before they make you buy or register, and I am leery.

I guess I have to give up, just saw this in the comments from the page you linked, and saw something similar posted on reddit as well.

"The only way is trying a brute force software. But you need to know that, depending on how many characters you used in your password, this can take too much time to get it back. If you think its length is greater than 5 characters, it could be almost impossible to do it."
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

In terms of brute-force cracking, depending on the version of Office used to create the document, you may be able to use reliable open source tools like John the Ripper and Hashcat, as explained here.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:31 pm In terms of brute-force cracking, depending on the version of Office used to create the document, you may be able to use reliable open source tools like John the Ripper and Hashcat, as explained here.
Even if more than 5 characters? I'm pretty sure my password was at least 5.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:47 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:31 pm In terms of brute-force cracking, depending on the version of Office used to create the document, you may be able to use reliable open source tools like John the Ripper and Hashcat, as explained here.
The password length influences how long JtR or Hashcat will potentially run. It can theoretically calculate passwords of arbitrary length but the longer it is the bigger the search space to find the password. 5 is trivial for JtR FWIW. If it's more than say 8-10 characters it'll take a very long time.

Any chance it would have been a dictionary word? If so, that'll speed things up dramatically. It might be worth just trying to use them with a dictionary file (one comes in the distribution of JtR).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:06 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:47 pm
The password length influences how long JtR or Hashcat will potentially run. It can theoretically calculate passwords of arbitrary length but the longer it is the bigger the search space to find the password. 5 is trivial for JtR FWIW. If it's more than say 8-10 characters it'll take a very long time.

Any chance it would have been a dictionary word? If so, that'll speed things up dramatically. It might be worth just trying to use them with a dictionary file (one comes in the distribution of JtR).
It's probably like 15 :(

I know this because I very clearly remember that it was a specific German phrase that I used. I think what happened is that when I created the pw originally (and I don't think it prompts you to re-enter or to verify so you don't screw up), I probably hit a wrong key. So I spent probably half an hour going through tons of iterations of the password, but nothing.

Definitely not a dictionary word.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:20 pm Image
SWEET! I'm in the 43m years bar! Hey, it could be worse!! LOL
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Thanks, but that looks...intense. Virtual Linux? I'm probably not savvy enough to do all that (and it seems due to the probable length of my pw that it's not going to be possible)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My rule for long passwords and obscured text boxes: Type them elsewhere, then copy-paste them in. I copy-paste them into whatever password reference I'm using at the same time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:24 pm
SWEET! I'm in the 43m years bar! Hey, it could be worse!! LOL
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:23 pm it was a specific German phrase that I used
Hopefully you don't get thwarted by an umlaut or Eszett.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So if I understood the replies correctly, there is no way in hell of decrypting a roughly 15 character pw, using known methods, correct? All alphas, but I BELIEVE I did have an upper case in there with the rest being lc.

Ah well, it's probably best anyway. Dredging up what was most certainly a very painful incident is probably not in my best interest. Insert witty adage about "leave the past behind" here. :P And FWIW, it's not the incident that I wrote about on here many years ago...though it was related. I was waiting for someone to just link to that thread like a smartass! Come on, guys, you're slipping! :P
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sorry. I just spent 30 minutes looking for Qantaga.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:45 pm So if I understood the replies correctly, there is no way in hell of decrypting a roughly 15 character pw, using known methods, correct? All alphas, but I BELIEVE I did have an upper case in there with the rest being lc.

Ah well, it's probably best anyway. Dredging up what was most certainly a very painful incident is probably not in my best interest. Insert witty adage about "leave the past behind" here. :P And FWIW, it's not the incident that I wrote about on here many years ago...though it was related. I was waiting for someone to just link to that thread like a smartass! Come on, guys, you're slipping! :P
hypnosis
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:45 pm So if I understood the replies correctly, there is no way in hell of decrypting a roughly 15 character pw, using known methods, correct? All alphas, but I BELIEVE I did have an upper case in there with the rest being lc.

If it is a random 15 characters pw then there is no way to bruteforce it with current computing speed but if it is 15 characters combination of words then maybe it is possible.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:55 pm

If it is a random 15 characters pw then there is no way to bruteforce it with current computing speed but if it is 15 characters combination of words then maybe it is possible.
Create a Wordle for it...the world will get it. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles