NFL 2022 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

malchior

Re: NFL 2022 Season

Post by malchior »

This is looking like a complete collapse by the birds. It's not over but that both of the last 2 TDs were completed to completely uncovered receivers. Eek.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

To me it's that the Eagles only completed one deep pass early, and everything since has been dinks and dunks. KC is ganging up on those short routes.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

And then deep smash. This is a great game but I'm afraid for when KC gets the ball back.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

10 point lead does not equal a collapse.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:53 pm 10 point lead does not equal a collapse.
When your opponent can complete passes to completely undefended players regularly - actually it just happened again - then there are clearly serious, serious issues and we haven't seen an adjustment. I don't like PHLs odds if this turns into a pure shootout right now.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Frickin refs decide the game.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:09 pm Frickin refs decide the game.
Yeah. Even if he pulled a little -- which I don't see -- it didn't change the play enough to essentially give them a huge advantage towards a win.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, that’s too bad. Been a good game, sucks to end that way.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya that was total bullshit.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:17 pm
Indeed - marred an excellent game but frankly that is unfortunately too typical in this league nowadays. That type of thing happened all season.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Each team benefitted from a questionable catch/no-catch call. Whatevs, the refs will always be in the mix, this was hardly the most egregiously officiated game. It was certainly an exciting one.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It’s a shame the game ended with a call like that. The Eagles defense collapsed in the second half, but I would have liked to see Hurts get the ball down by 3 with over a minute left.

Oh well.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:17 pm
Yep, it had been a great game, and then the ref screwed it up at the end. No chance for last minute heroics. Just kneel and kick the FG.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kelce once again being a total ass post-game, wow.

Ok man, the whole world’s against you. :roll:

Are you twelve?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:36 pm Kelce once again being a total ass post-game, wow.
I like Mahomes, but Kelce makes KC quite difficult to root for.

Such an ass.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I turned it off. What did he do?
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:54 pm I turned it off. What did he do?
Literally the exact same thing he did after the playoffs win...spent his mic time (and I think even Mahomes was like 'dial it back, man!") spouting off a litany of complaints about "you" (media...fans? me??!) and how not one of YOU picked them to win, etc.

I'm thinking the in-house propaganda machine hit him a little harder than most...I assume most teams do this...they create a boogeyman in the locker-room trying to amp up their players leading up to the game..but poor Kelce seems like he drank the entire jug of Koolaid.

I bet he would be a FANTASTIC hypnotism target. :P
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Trying to keep perspective. It’s a game. And I still get to eat the delicious cheesesteak I ordered from the surprisingly authentic Philly Cheesesteak place in Portland.

But the call against Jame Bradbury at the end of the game was just awful. Like, top 10 awful calls I’ve ever seen, given the stakes and the moment. It was a flat-out game decider in what otherwise would have been considered a potentially classic game. It’s just unfathomable to me that the refs in that moment don’t approach things with a mindset that is, “If we see a clear penalty, we’re gonna call it, but we’re not going to throw questionable flags.” And that was a HIGHLY questionable flag.

Bradbury is one of the least penalized CBs in the league. He just doesn’t hold or get called for PI. It’s not how he plays. He had his had on the receiver, but it was not the kind of thing that gets called. He didn’t divert him or alter his route. It was what all DBs do to keep track of where the receiver is. It’s just not a penalty.

They don’t throw the flag, and KC kicks the FG and goes up 38-35 with the Eagles getting the ball with a TO and just under 2 minutes to play. That sets up a great finish. Instead, they end the game with that flag. Just a shitty way for things to conclude.

All that said, I’m in no way saying that KC didn’t deserve this win. I thought the Eagles D would have Mahomes running for his life all game. Not even close to what happened. Our D didn’t show up. No sacks. Not one. From a team that got 70 (third all time) in the regular season. No turnovers. Mahomes was barely hurried. It felt like he had all day back there to throw the ball, and when he did, our coverage left Kelce wide open most of the game.

If you asked me before this game which side of the ball I was more concerned with, it would probably have been the O. But we put up 35 points tonight. The vaunted Eagles defense let us down. Part of that, obviously, is the greatness of Mahomes and Andy Reid. But I’ve never been 100% sold on Jonathan Gannon, and I think he and his D really let Philly down tonight.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kurth wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:30 am I thought the Eagles D would have Mahomes running for his life all game. Not even close to what happened. Our D didn’t show up. No sacks. Not one.
Well, to be fair, a lot of that is a credit to Mahomes...it's what he do. He's like a damn magician back there. And FWIW, I am agnostic wrt these teams, just a neutral pro football observer.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:43 am
Kurth wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:30 am I thought the Eagles D would have Mahomes running for his life all game. Not even close to what happened. Our D didn’t show up. No sacks. Not one.
Well, to be fair, a lot of that is a credit to Mahomes...it's what he do. He's like a damn magician back there. And FWIW, I am agnostic wrt these teams, just a neutral pro football observer.
Yep. I get that. Getting beat by Mahomes is not a badge of shame. But this was one of the most dominant defenses in the NFL this year or ever, and they let KC put up 38 points on them and didn’t even make it look all that difficult. Not good enough.

If you want to get down to nuts and bolts, I suppose you could argue that 14 points were not really the fault of the D. 7 came from the Jalen Hurts fumble that led to a KC scoop and score. And 7 more came from an awful special teams play that let Kadarius Toney return a punt 65 yards.

But still. The D let Philly down today. No question.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

To be fair, seven of those points were in no way the fault of the Philly defense.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:To be fair, seven of those points were in no way the fault of the Philly defense.
And yet, KC passed on the td for the fg, so add 4 more to the total

Then, KC also missed a FG, so add all 7 :)

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The worst part is Mahomes will replace Brady in adulation. I'm out of sports talk until baseball season.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:36 pm Kelce once again being a total ass post-game, wow.

Are you twelve?
Yeah. I had the same reaction to his comments.

What a graceless winner. Cut from the same cloth as Rodgers.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I quit paying attention when they did a shout out to Murdoch and Musk in their box. :oops: The TV was off well before the end.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:27 am
I quit paying attention when they did a shout out to Murdoch and Musk in their box. :oops: The TV was off well before the end.
Would have hated to be a fly on the wall in those club/box seats. I bet it would churn my stomach.

Although they probably do all their pinky to mouth, evil genius/ world domination talk away from one of the most watched/covered events on the planet.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

About The Call, from the alleged perpetrator himself:

Bradberry, however, took no issue with the call. He took accountability for the penalty after the game.

"It was a holding," Bradyberry told reporters, per the Boston Globe's Ben Volin. "I tugged on the jersey. ... They called it. I was hoping they would let it ride."
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:48 am About The Call, from the alleged perpetrator himself:

Bradberry, however, took no issue with the call. He took accountability for the penalty after the game.

"It was a holding," Bradyberry told reporters, per the Boston Globe's Ben Volin. "I tugged on the jersey. ... They called it. I was hoping they would let it ride."
Yes, by the letter of the law it was, but they had not been calling it all night, they had not been calling much at all, letting them play, until that moment. That is my issue.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Don't give the refs the chance to decide the game, then.
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:48 am About The Call, from the alleged perpetrator himself:

Yeah, well what does he know?

I mean this was one of the top-ten missed calls ever. And he’s trying to tell us it isn’t?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Interesting thunks on CNBC this morning on the proliferation of streaming and online betting. It was estimated there were 2 Million active online bettors during the game and that streaming the game was delayed by as much as 60 seconds. These two things will clash. You can't really be current for your moment to moment odds betting if you are 60 seconds behind the action.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:59 am

Yeah, well what does he know?

I mean this was one of the top-ten missed calls ever. And he’s trying to tell us it isn’t?
Yes. He is.

As I said above, don't give the refs the chance to decide the game.
Hodor.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I think Unagi was being a little sarcastic.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:00 am

Are you twelve?
Yeah. I had the same reaction to his comments.

What a graceless winner. Cut from the same cloth as Rodgers.
I rolled my eyes and laughed at Kelce's comments. Like dude, I know every team wants to play the "no one believes in us" card but like...you were all of 1.5 point underdogs, and you have Mahomes.

That said, it didn't really bother me that much, especially factoring in how amped up he presumably was having just won a close Super Bowl.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Does he realize that he plays for checks notes the Kansas City Chiefs?

The world doesn't know you friggin' exist, man. Who do you think you are, Tom Brady?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lassr wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:26 am

Yes, by the letter of the law it was, but they had not been calling it all night, they had not been calling much at all, letting them play, until that moment. That is my issue.
I get that, but it does help me be less annoyed with the call. I get the point, but I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect refs to police everything that's going on simultaneously on a football field and also make immediate judgment calls about whether "this is the kind of penalty that I should be calling at this point in the game".

I do wonder whether there's some change that could be made to the holding rule so that it's not something that could theoretically be called so often.

Also, I really like how the Eagles CB spoke up about the call. The NFL ref who made the call probably really really appreciates that.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:06 am I do wonder whether there's some change that could be made to the holding rule so that it's not something that could theoretically be called so often.
I'd really like to see defensive holding turned into a multi-level penalty option (a la running into / roughing the kicker): The higher (egregious) level being the same as it is now. Then a lower level that's just a re-play of the down and 5 yards/half the distance, with no automatic first down.

Wouldn't 'fix' this issue, but would allow for borderline calls to not automatically hand over a win.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:09 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:06 am I do wonder whether there's some change that could be made to the holding rule so that it's not something that could theoretically be called so often.
I'd really like to see defensive holding turned into a multi-level penalty option (a la running into / roughing the kicker): The higher (egregious) level being the same as it is now. Then a lower level that's just a re-play of the down and 5 yards/half the distance, with no automatic first down.

Wouldn't 'fix' this issue, but would allow for borderline calls to not automatically hand over a win.
I always hated the illegal contact foul. Touch a receiver down the field and 5 yards and automatic 1st down. I'd rather they get rid of it or at least not make it an automatic 1st down.

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

They need the illusion of a manageable set of rules to keep gambling viable. If the public loses confidence in bets and fantasyFB, they'll lose half the viewership.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

With respect to the hold on a receiver, I think the penalty (in the abstract, not necessarily in this instance) makes sense. With a more traditional PI, the ball is in the air and the refs can determine whether it is remotely catchable or not. If it's not, no foul. With a hold, which by rule occurs before the pass is thrown, it's hard to say what might have happened on the play. Maybe a routine incompletion. Maybe a 30 yard play. The enforcement navigates this by making it a nominal yardage penalty but with an automatic first down. Seems reasonable.
That's my purse! I don't know you!