NFL 2022 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: NFL 2022 Season

Post by El Guapo »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:50 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:31 pm Chiefs vs Eagles

Both QB's are banged up, so I'm going with the better defense.
There's a flaw in your logic. Both QBs are banged up but one is named Patrick Mahommes and the other is not. The defense has been winning the Eagles games and Mahommes is the best QB they've faced all year by far.
The big unknown is Mahomes health. He did well running around gimped in the AFC title game, though, so I assume that another two weeks of recovery (assuming that he didn't materially worsen the injury in the AFC title game) should be enough to make KC the favorite.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I really like Mahomes, my only question is whether he has enough weapons. Kelce is a monster, that's given. Valdez-Scantling? Do you really want to put your SB ambitions on him?
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I think the Eagles will smash them to bits.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:57 pm I think the Eagles will smash them to bits.
I would not bet on this game. A healthy Mahomes can beat any team, any day. And the Eagles did just barely manage to beat the pathetic Bears this year.

But as I already mentioned, the Chiefs are my 3rd favorite team, so I'm viewing the matchup through rose-ish colored glasses.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:00 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:57 pm I think the Eagles will smash them to bits.
I would not bet on this game. A healthy Mahomes can beat any team, any day. And the Eagles did just barely manage to beat the pathetic Bears this year.

But as I already mentioned, the Chiefs are my 3rd favorite team, so I'm viewing the matchup through rose-ish colored glasses.
I really hope RunningMn9 is right, and I think there’s reason to believe. Just as they dominated the Niners and the Giants, the Eagles D line should be able to put Mahomes under some extreme pressure. He’s going to get hit. He’s going to get hurried. But it’s Mahomes that will be back there, not Daniel Jones or Brock Purdy or Josh Johnson.

And on the other side of the ball, as good as Chris Jones is, I think the Eagles O line is going to show again why they’re the best in the league and maybe one of the best O lines to ever play.

Again, no disrespect to Jalen Hurts or AJ Brown or Devonta Smith or Dallas Goedert or Miles Sanders, but it’s the Eagles investment in the lines that is paying dividends and making them what they are right now.

I actually feel better about this matchup than I did about the NFC Championship against the Niners. I think the Eagles should win this game. But, of course, as an Eagles fan, I expect disaster. :D
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes! Brady retires! A nation rejoices.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Our long national nightmare is over.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya but now he will cover games and we have to listen to him talk every weekend. Is that really better? :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:05 pm Ya but now he will cover games and we have to listen to him talk every weekend. Is that really better? :P
It will definitely suck, but when I watch I turn off the sound and either game or listen to music or both.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I know where my mute button is.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:05 pm Ya but now he will cover games and we have to listen to him talk every weekend. Is that really better? :P
It's worse but he can't be more annoying the Collinsworth or Greg Olsen, can he? CAN HE?
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Collinsworth/Brady broadcast team coming to your house fall 2023!
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:31 pm Collinsworth/Brady broadcast team coming to your house fall 2023!
Never did I think I'd utter these words, but please give me Tony Romo! :)
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:31 pm Collinsworth/Brady broadcast team coming to your house fall 2023!
That would probably be fine. Brady would never get a chance to talk.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I've enjoyed listening to Greg Olsen this season. I hope he gets an opportunity somewhere else soon, but it's tough to crack into the top broadcast teams. There are only 5 networks, and it seems like the color commentator is set for all of them for awhile.

I also hope I can afford to get the Sunday Ticket on YouTube this year so I can choose to not watch Brady. Peter King reported that it should only be $300 for the season, and they are entertaining a single-team option. So the main sticking point will be whether or not I have to pay for YouTube TV on top of that.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:01 pm Yes! Brady retires! A nation rejoices.
For now...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:41 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:01 pm Yes! Brady retires! A nation rejoices.
For now...
True, the rejoicing will only last until Rodgers gets traded and we have to hear about that ad nauseam.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It sucked on Sunday, and it sucks even more now:
San Francisco 49ers QB Brock Purdy suffered an elbow injury during the NFC Championship, and it turns out it was a pretty significant one. Amid reports that Purdy has sustained a UCL injury, the 49ers’ seventh-round pick received a brutal update on the injury on Wednesday. After getting the opinion of Dr. Mark Adickes, it’s believed that Purdy will require Tommy John surgery on his elbow and be sidelined for a full calendar year, via Dov Kleiman.

Via Kleiman on Twitter:

“49ers QB Brock Purdy needs Tommy John surgery and is expected to miss about a year, according to notable orthopedic surgeon Dr. Mark Adickes. A return in 6-9 months is unlikely.”

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I actually like Greg Olsen
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Of course, there's more good news for the 49ers.

DeMeco Ryans hired as Texans head coach.

People here are a little excited.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

naednek wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:50 pm I actually like Greg Olsen
Yeah, he's pretty good. He probably talks too much, but all of the young analysts do it. I used to like Romo, but he's gone so far into the "must fill every quiet moment with noise" realm that I don't care for him much anymore.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:00 pm
Yeah, he's pretty good. He probably talks too much, but all of the young analysts do it. I used to like Romo, but he's gone so far into the "must fill every quiet moment with noise" realm that I don't care for him much anymore.
I'm also skeptical that Brady will be very good. Obviously knows football real well, but he's never seemed especially charismatic on camera.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And the Broncos hire Sean Payton. I can only hope the game has passed him by.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:03 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:00 pm
I'm also skeptical that Brady will be very good. Obviously knows football real well, but he's never seemed especially charismatic on camera.
Seems like quite a gamble to throw the checkbook at him. Maybe he's done some demos where he comes off as really good? I'm not who you're hiring announcers for, though. I can't remember ever choosing to watch game over another because of the announcers.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have a hard time watching baseball games that don't have the Mets announcers. They actually make the game more entertaining than being annoying distractors. AKA Bob Costas.. Oh Bob. I'm still kind of amazed at how quickly
Kevin Burkhardt flew up the broadcasting ranks to be doing the Super Bowl this year. It wasn't that long ago that he was the dude asking fans dumb questions during the Mets games. Like he was the guy talking the newest rookies mom in the stands and now the Super Bowl.

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:27 pm Chiefs vs Eagles
As an Eagles fan who saw your predictions last week, thanks! :D
Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:08 pm Eagles beat the miserable Bears, 49ers did not. If I was a betting man, I'd have bet the farm on the outcome of this game. (whether my wife's egg farm or my FiL's rice farm that I funded I can't say).
Commit to the bit. ;)

The Iggles three losses this season were to:
Washington (8-8-1)
Dallas (12-5)
New Orleans (7-10)
Total: 27-23-1

They also squeaked past Indianapolis (4-12-1).

KC lost to:
Indianapolis (4-12-1)
Buffalo (13-3)
Cincinnati (12-4)
Total: 29-19-1

Beats me if that means anything at all. I thought neither DC nor New Orleans were as good as their records indicate.

KC lost to the Bears in pre-season; not sure if Jeff's algorithm will count that.
Conform or be cast out!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Hrdina wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:46 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:27 pm Chiefs vs Eagles
As an Eagles fan who saw your predictions last week, thanks! :D
Yeah, you have nothing to worry about in regard to my predictions. I'm pretty shitty at this.

And regarding the Eagles... I was actually rooting for the Eagles this year - right up until they signed on Suh.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Preseason does not count for squat. I like KC in the SB because the QB is the most important player on the field and Mahomes is the best.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC Sports
Brady revealed today that his next gig, as an announcer for Fox, won’t start until the 2024 season. In an interview with Colin Cowherd, Brady said he and Fox agreed that he wouldn’t start this upcoming season but would instead wait until the following season.

Last year, Brady and Fox agreed on a 10-year, $375 million contract that would allow him to become the No. 1 game analyst on the network’s Sunday afternoon broadcasts as soon as he was ready to leave the field for the booth. But while he has left the field, he wants a year off before he goes into the booth.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:05 pm Preseason does not count for squat. I like KC in the SB because the QB is the most important player on the field and Mahomes is the best.
But fighting a huge injury. You could see it at times during the AFC Championship, where he looked like he couldn't get what he needed on all his throws. Crucially, he *was* able to do so on the TD to get them to 20 tho - he drilled that ball, and at times during that game, it looked questionable whether his ankle would allow him to do that consistently.

It is entirely possible that the Eagles' Pass Rush does to him what they did to Purdy (and Johnson) and knock him out of the game. High Ankle Sprains are not the kind of injury which goes away after a few weeks, they tend to drag on for months.

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:58 pm NBC Sports
Brady revealed today that his next gig, as an announcer for Fox, won’t start until the 2024 season. In an interview with Colin Cowherd, Brady said he and Fox agreed that he wouldn’t start this upcoming season but would instead wait until the following season.

Last year, Brady and Fox agreed on a 10-year, $375 million contract that would allow him to become the No. 1 game analyst on the network’s Sunday afternoon broadcasts as soon as he was ready to leave the field for the booth. But while he has left the field, he wants a year off before he goes into the booth.
Interesting. I wonder if this was Brady's idea, or Fox's. Either way, I'm sure Fox is happy that they can avoid more of the "what to do about Greg Olsen" stories until after the Super Bowl.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Super Bowl day. I remember when there was tons of anticipation for this event. Now I had to page 2 to go to find the thread. Go Eagles!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

*Doink*
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

People were wondering how Hurts would respond to adversity. After a fumble returned for a TD and a questionable reversal of a catch, he comes back and scores both times.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I am definitely no fan of Philly, but that was a BS reversal.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Surely nobody is going to have problems with this halftime show…
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

RunningMn9 wrote:I think the Eagles will smash them to bits.
Half way there. If not for a freak play, this would be a sizable blowout. Only problem though is that Mahomes** has a winning record when he’s getting blown out. Keep your foot on the throat, and put some play action balls over the top of the defense and put this away.

** - assuming Mahomes plays the rest of the way after getting the needle in the locker room.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, they must have given him some good drugs...he was grimacing pretty hard right after the injury, head down, wincing, etc, 5m later and til now, he's been grinning (sometimes inappropriately) like a goofball. :P
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I think the refs have gotten them all right but man, these are insanely close calls.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Too bad the field is shit.