NFL 2022 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: NFL 2022 Season

Post by El Guapo »

Also people may know this already, but apparently this same type of injury happened in the 90s in the NHL, when Chris Pronger was hit in the chest with a slapshot. Fortunately he was ok and played again four days later.

Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:44 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:42 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:04 am
Even as a fan, it’s going to be hard to go back to caring about football at some point. I cannot imagine what the players are going through, but elite athletes are probably better at compartmentalizing and focusing than I am. They just need to know he’s going to be ok.
This. And the guy that delivered the hit, however unintentionally, will probably be scarred for life.
The guy was tackled by Hamlin - he didn't deliver the hit. Hopefully that helps him.
Sorry to be so contrarian, but I think Tee Higgins definitely delivered a hit on Hamlin. Higgins got the ball, lowered his shoulder and absolutely trucked Hamlin. Looked more like Derrick Henry on that play. Not a shocking collision and nothing egregious, but it definitely looked to me like a ball carrier delivering a hit to a tackler.

Also, on the big-picture NFL stuff, if people are being rational (ginormous IF there), this still isn’t something that should worry Goodell and the NFL as far as the future of football. Yes, it’s a serious injury, but, if it is what people are speculating, it’s more likely to occur in other sports than in football. Unless we’re going to turn away from all sports (and activities) that involve a risk of high velocity blunt force to the chest, what are you going to do? We can only make sports (and life) so safe.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:32 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:05 am but this IS a gladiator sport.
(Not coming down on you here, but just the use of this term)

I understand the phrase/term - but I don't think it's accurate or helpful.
It really isn't a gladiator sport... sure maybe in that romantic 'tough guy' way... but certainly not in the sense that's relevant here. We evolved away from the main part of a "gladiator" sport.

These games are only fun if our gladiators DO NOT die. In fact, even an injury is unwelcome and not remotely 'the point' of the battle. We want to watch people compete in a battle where they are at their best and so is their opponent - and we've reached a point where we actually want those people to win or lose without life-changing or life-ending injuries.

To me, that's not remotely a 'gladiator sport'. I think the term is used to feel tough... To make us all feel tough, but it's dangerous because it's not accurate at all. We are not watching gladiators fight - and we don't want to.
Excellent point, I retract the phrase.

I maintain that it’s a violent sport.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The NFL has announced that the Bills/Bengals game will not resume this week, and there is no change to the Week 18 schedule.
Hodor.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Not intended to make light of the situation at all, but since I'm not a sports nerd, are there any ramifications, such as standings or playoffs, to not playing or finishing the game at all
If not, they should just let it go.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:06 pm Not intended to make light of the situation at all, but since I'm not a sports nerd, are there any ramifications, such as standings or playoffs, to not playing or finishing the game at all
If not, they should just let it go.
There will likely be seeding ramifications if they don't play or declare the game a tie. My guess is the NFL will resort to the infamous coin flip to resolve any such conflicts, pleasing no one.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

As the Bills are still in a fight for the #1 seed and the Bengals haven't clinched their division yet (and with an outside shot at the #1 seed), the game absolutely matters for both teams.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:31 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:44 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:42 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:04 am
Even as a fan, it’s going to be hard to go back to caring about football at some point. I cannot imagine what the players are going through, but elite athletes are probably better at compartmentalizing and focusing than I am. They just need to know he’s going to be ok.
This. And the guy that delivered the hit, however unintentionally, will probably be scarred for life.
The guy was tackled by Hamlin - he didn't deliver the hit. Hopefully that helps him.
Sorry to be so contrarian, but I think Tee Higgins definitely delivered a hit on Hamlin. Higgins got the ball, lowered his shoulder and absolutely trucked Hamlin. Looked more like Derrick Henry on that play. Not a shocking collision and nothing egregious, but it definitely looked to me like a ball carrier delivering a hit to a tackler.

Also, on the big-picture NFL stuff, if people are being rational (ginormous IF there), this still isn’t something that should worry Goodell and the NFL as far as the future of football. Yes, it’s a serious injury, but, if it is what people are speculating, it’s more likely to occur in other sports than in football. Unless we’re going to turn away from all sports (and activities) that involve a risk of high velocity blunt force to the chest, what are you going to do? We can only make sports (and life) so safe.
You're probably right about the hit. It's just that the summaries I've read have described it as resulting from Hamlin tackling Higgins. But you're right that Higgins trucks into Hamlin.

As for the big picture, some samples from the New York Times:

We’re All Complicit in the N.F.L.’s Violent Spectacle

And:
The N.F.L. was facing one of its worst crises in decades as Buffalo Bills defender Damar Hamlin remained in critical condition on Tuesday after collapsing during a prime-time game in Cincinnati, raising fresh questions about ever-present serious injury in America’s biggest sport.
This crisis will absolutely pass for the NFL, but it's certainly not going to decrease the number of people who feel gross or guilty watching football.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

A couple of thoughts as we approach 24 hours without hearing the news we want to hear.

1) I can’t speak for Tee Higgins obviously and how he feels, but he did nothing wrong. That was a normal NFL play.

2) I’m sure those that already wished ill on the NFL will attempt to capitalize on this, but in the 100+ year history of this professional sport, this has happened exactly one time. It’s like being struck by lightning.

3) Regarding Chris Pronger, that seems to be exact same situation. Slap shot right to the chest at exactly the wrong moment. I saw a replay of that today, and that was horrendous to watch. They had a tight shot of his face lying on the ground, and he looked dead already. But hockey players are built different. I don’t know if they had to shock his heart back into rhythm or if there were other circumstances that allowed his rapid recovery, but I don’t expect that hear.

4) If one more motherfucker on Twitter tried to claim that this happened to him because he got vaccinated, I’m gonna snap.

The impact to the Bills if this is declared a no contest is that they will drop to the 2 seed (worse than a win, better than a loss). For the Bengals, a no contest locks them in as the AFC North champion (1.5 game lead over Ravens with one to play). It helps CIN but prevents them from getting the one seed.

The Bills could still get the one seed with a win over NE and a KC loss, but I cannot imagine how the Bills are supposed to get ready to play on Sunday under these circumstances.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:25 pm The Bills could still get the one seed with a win over NE and a KC loss, but I cannot imagine how the Bills are supposed to get ready to play on Sunday under these circumstances.
Well, the good news is that their opponent is having Matt Patricia prepare them for the game, so I like the Bills chances.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:05 pm

And:
The N.F.L. was facing one of its worst crises in decades as Buffalo Bills defender Damar Hamlin remained in critical condition on Tuesday after collapsing during a prime-time game in Cincinnati, raising fresh questions about ever-present serious injury in America’s biggest sport.
This crisis will absolutely pass for the NFL, but it's certainly not going to decrease the number of people who feel gross or guilty watching football.
On one level, I understand the reaction. It was a horrible thing to see. But on another, it really has very little to do with football. Quotes like this from the second of those NYT pieces drive me nuts:
Whatever the truth, football fans — and even former star players — are asking again whether the game they enjoy is worth the risk. Ryan Clark, a former defensive back who is now an analyst on ESPN, said many players fool themselves into thinking they are modern-day gladiators when in fact they are highly paid entertainers smashing their bodies for a living.

“We use these cliches. ‘Going to war,’ ‘willing to die,’ ‘give it all,’” Clark wrote on Twitter on Monday night. “That’s all talk. It’s a game. A game! You never suit up & think you’re not going to make it home.”
I totally understand if people are prompted to ask themselves if football is worth the risk when the NFL is unwilling or unable to prevent serious traumatic head injuries (looking at you, Tua) or terrible -- but legal -- hits that cause rib fractures and internal organ damage (hello Drew Bledsoe and the Eagles CJGJ and Nick Foles) or cause players to nearly lose limbs (Alex Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, Joe Theisman, etc.).

But this situation with Hamlin shouldn't really factor into that question. Not unless you're also going to ask yourself if baseball is worth the risk. Or if hockey is worth the risk. Or if lacrosse is worth the risk. What happened to Hamlin does not appear to be at all specific to football.

Again, there's rational and then there's the world we live in. Such is life, I guess.

[Edited to correct the wrong Joe with the catastrophic leg injury.]
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

And:
Yeah. I just can't do it anymore. I get the pushback on calling it a gladiator sport, but people who watch and support the game are absolutely fine with other humans risking their lives and brains for our entertainment.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:25 pm
4) If one more motherfucker on Twitter tried to claim that this happened to him because he got vaccinated, I’m gonna snap.
It's infuriating, and what makes it even worse is they are convinced they are free-thinkers.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:58 am

And:
Yeah. I just can't do it anymore. I get the pushback on calling it a gladiator sport, but people who watch and support the game are absolutely fine with other humans risking their lives and brains for our entertainment.
Are there fans of any other sports/activities you'd like to add to your list of "people who . . . are absolutely fine with other humans risking their lives and brains for our entertainment"? A few deserving suspects come to mind, but I think you should take a stab at it first. What do you say?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kurth wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:53 am
Are there fans of any other sports/activities you'd like to add to your list of "people who . . . are absolutely fine with other humans risking their lives and brains for our entertainment"? A few deserving suspects come to mind, but I think you should take a stab at it first. What do you say?
Sure, I think UFC is probably also on that list. And boxing. Other than that I don't know of other sports that have the same issues with CTE that American Football has. They should certainly be allowed to do it if they want, but after taking a fall and suffering head trauma I just can't handle watching young men cripple themselves anymore.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Hockey would probably have the same issues (lots of concussions in hockey). That study though is somewhat misleading in that the brains were donated for a reason. They didn’t randomly choose 100 football brains and find CTE in all of them. They were donated likely because CTE was suspected.

But repeatedly smashing heads is definitely a problem.
Make up bags of change
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

How about girls high school soccer? I had seen a story years ago about high school girls with serious issues from repeated headers when they don't have the training/body to do them.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:08 pm

And:
On one level, I understand the reaction. It was a horrible thing to see. But on another, it really has very little to do with football. Quotes like this from the second of those NYT pieces drive me nuts:
Whatever the truth, football fans — and even former star players — are asking again whether the game they enjoy is worth the risk. Ryan Clark, a former defensive back who is now an analyst on ESPN, said many players fool themselves into thinking they are modern-day gladiators when in fact they are highly paid entertainers smashing their bodies for a living.

“We use these cliches. ‘Going to war,’ ‘willing to die,’ ‘give it all,’” Clark wrote on Twitter on Monday night. “That’s all talk. It’s a game. A game! You never suit up & think you’re not going to make it home.”
I totally understand if people are prompted to ask themselves if football is worth the risk when the NFL is unwilling or unable to prevent serious traumatic head injuries (looking at you, Tua) or terrible -- but legal -- hits that cause rib fractures and internal organ damage (hello Drew Bledsoe and the Eagles CJGJ and Nick Foles) or cause players to nearly lose limbs (Alex Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, Joe Theisman, etc.).

But this situation with Hamlin shouldn't really factor into that question. Not unless you're also going to ask yourself if baseball is worth the risk. Or if hockey is worth the risk. Or if lacrosse is worth the risk. What happened to Hamlin does not appear to be at all specific to football.

Again, there's rational and then there's the world we live in. Such is life, I guess.

[Edited to correct the wrong Joe with the catastrophic leg injury.]
Yeah, ultimately it's not super logical for this injury to impact the football calculus. But the drama of something like this can have the effect of crystallizing one's thinking about other stuff that you knew about but were ignoring.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin, 24, is sedated on a ventilator as doctors work toward getting him to breathe on his own, his uncle said, adding the NFL star seems to be "trending upwards in a positive way."
The Bills are holding meetings and a walk-through Wednesday ahead of Sunday's game against the New England Patriots, the team said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Minnesota Vikings at 12-4 now have a -19 point differential. Just sayin'.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:33 pm My results for week 17:

Cowboys at Titans...Win
Cards at Falcons...Win
Bears at Lions...Win
Broncos at Chiefs...Win
Dolphins at Pats...Win
Colts at Giants...Win
Saints at Eagles...Loss
Panthers at Bucs...Win
Browns at Commanders...Win
Jags at Texans...Win
49ers at Raiders...Win
Jets at Seahawks...Win
Vikings at Packers...Win
Rams at Chargers...Loss and way glad for it
Steelers at Ravens...Loss
Bills at Bengals...Postponed
12-3 Cumulative: 156 - 97
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:21 am
Sure, I think UFC is probably also on that list. And boxing. Other than that I don't know of other sports that have the same issues with CTE that American Football has. They should certainly be allowed to do it if they want, but after taking a fall and suffering head trauma I just can't handle watching young men cripple themselves anymore.
Ok. That's a start. So now we are throwing shade at fans of:

Football
MMA
Boxing

McNutt wants to add girls high school soccer, but I'd open that up to soccer overall. You see all those players wearing protective face masks in the World Cup? Those mostly result from facial/cranial fractures from headers gone wrong. Despite all the flopping, soccer is a dangerous sport.

How do we feel about fans of some of the most dangerous sports like:

NASCAR
Formula 1
Motocross
Downhill skiing/snowboarding
Ski/snowboard jumping
Skateboarding
Big wave surfing
BMX Cycling
Gymnastics
Bobsled
Luge

Think fans of those sports should stop gawking at other humans risking their lives for our entertainment? Maybe we should just live in a world where everyone plays golf. That's pretty risk-free, right? No shame in being a fan of golf, I suppose.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unless you get beaned by a golf ball or struck by lightning.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:43 pm
gbasden wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:21 am

Football
MMA
Boxing

McNutt wants to add girls high school soccer, but I'd open that up to soccer overall. You see all those players wearing protective face masks in the World Cup? Those mostly result from facial/cranial fractures from headers gone wrong. Despite all the flopping, soccer is a dangerous sport.

NASCAR
Formula 1
Motocross
Ski/snowboard jumping
Skateboarding
Big wave surfing
BMX Cycling
Gymnastics
Bobsled
Luge

Think fans of those sports should stop gawking at other humans risking their lives for our entertainment? Maybe we should just live in a world where everyone plays golf. That's pretty risk-free, right? No shame in being a fan of golf, I suppose.
gbasden wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:58 am Yeah. I just can't do it anymore. I get the pushback on calling it a gladiator sport, but people who watch and support the game are absolutely fine with other humans risking their lives and brains for our entertainment.
I'd hesitate to call it shameful or shade, even if the implication is there.

I wouldn't say that people are fine with the risks, I think it's more that people aren't really aware of the risks, don't really see them, experience them or understand them. That's why something like that event Monday night is important as it shines a light on the issue and raises awareness, even if it's not typical for this particular sport.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Bigimg tag is your friend!
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:51 pm Enlarge Image
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It stayed inside the margins. :coffee:

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kurth wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:43 pm

Football
MMA
Boxing

NASCAR
Formula 1
Motocross
Ski/snowboard jumping
Skateboarding
Big wave surfing
BMX Cycling
Gymnastics
Bobsled
Luge

You do you. I can't watch football without seeing hits that make me cringe at this point. Yes, those brains were donated, but given that you can only positively diagnose CTE from a post mortem brain evaluation I'm not sure you can get around that. Now they are finding sub-concussion hits cause white matter changes that correlate with dementia. Unlike those other sports you listed, the damage is integral to the game, not the result of a mishap.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

You seem to get the basic thrust of the issue that I have with football, especially the CTE aspects. Do you vehemently disagree because you think that people with these feelings are wrong and fearmongers, or do you think that spectators have no moral agency in the whole process?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

gbasden wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:54 am
You seem to get the basic thrust of the issue that I have with football, especially the CTE aspects. Do you vehemently disagree because you think that people with these feelings are wrong and fearmongers, or do you think that spectators have no moral agency in the whole process?
No disagreement that football is a dangerous sport. Also, no objection or judgment if you want to opt out of watching. I object to what I take (imply) to be your position that you are morally superior to football fans that aren't opting out. Maybe I'm reading too much into your statement, but it certainly seemed to me you were throwing shade where I don't believe any is deserved.

Part of the attraction of professional sports -- and I really take issue with your position that football is integrally more dangerous than many of the sports listed above -- is that these athletes are specimens capable and willing to do things that normal people simply cannot do. There's often going to be risk in that. But there's risk in life. And there are people that love to play football and are willing to accept that risk. And there are people who love watching the game and appreciate and respect the athletes putting their bodies on the line for the sport they love.

Again, you can opt out all you want. But please don't suggest that football fans who continue to keep watching football are somehow morally lacking.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Honest question - would you let your child play high school football, knowing what we know about childhood brain development and the cumulative effects of CTE?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

gbasden wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:17 am Honest question - would you let your child play high school football, knowing what we know about childhood brain development and the cumulative effects of CTE?
I had a long conversation with him about it. Ultimately I let him decide.

But the story behind that is, my son played soccer, the coach, a friend of ours wanted him to be the kicker on the football team. I talked to Riley about concussions, and if he thought kicking a football would mess up his soccer skills. He said he'd give it a shot. My decision was a little easier because being a kicker meant a less likelihood of getting a concussion...or so I thought. During summer drills, they had him participating in a drill where they threw medicine balls to each other and somehow Riley got hit in the back of the head with one (I assume someone was horsing around) and got a severe concussion. He had to limit his activities for 3 months (which included video games). I told him, that was it for him and football. He agreed.

That was 7 years ago, if I had a son now, i would probably direct them toward other sports early. I would not say No though simply because living is a risk and we can't eliminate all risks without life just being an absolute bore.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

My sons are not allowed to play tackle football. They really want to do it, but we've had many talks about why it's a bad idea. I do feel like a hypocrite since I love watching football. Luckily they like other sports, so they still have alternatives.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

gbasden wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:17 am Honest question - would you let your child play high school football, knowing what we know about childhood brain development and the cumulative effects of CTE?
Only one of my three has played football, and under almost the same circumstances as Laser described.

He’s a freshman in high school whose passion is soccer. He was asked to play football as a kicker. We talked about the risk, but he was excited to try it. All went well, and he made it through the season mostly injury free, despite getting some reps at WR and defensive back, too.

In all honesty, I’d prefer he not play due to injury risk, but, again, at the high school level, I think it’s his call.

Of course, his first week of soccer, he was playing striker and took off on a run toward goal. The touch on the pass to him was just a bit too heavy, and he and the ball got to the goalie at about the same time. He ran into the goalie at full speed in a frightening collision. My son was ok, but the poor goalie took a knee to the head. He was on the field for several minutes before being taken to urgent care. Word is, he is ok but had a pretty significant concussion.

It wasn’t a malicious or dirty play on the part of my son (he did get a deserved yellow card, though) but there’s risk in sports, just as there’s risk in life. We can and should work to take reasonable steps to mitigate that risk, but there’s only so much you can do.

Laser’s story is a great parallel: Worried about a child being injured playing football, instead the kid gets a concussion from someone horsing around hitting him in the head with a medicine ball.

Life is a risky endeavor. Some people are more or less risk averse. If less risk averse people want to play a sport they love, despite the risk of serious injury, I don’t think fans of that sport should be shamed for continuing to watch.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think it's perfectly OK to have conflicting emotions about being a fan of football, particularly when it comes to concussion risk. I try to appease my personal guilt about enjoying football by being somewhat of a hardliner on targeting issues (I don't care if a play was malicious or not, if it fits the rules of targeting it should be called in a long run effort to get players to stop the riskier plays). My kids likely won't play football for a variety of reasons (including an increased risk for something like what happened to Hamlin for one of them), but I don't know that I'd be pleased with them playing if they could (I know my wife would be a hard no).

So, I'm OK with having some guilt about watching and enjoying athletes participate in sports that have a high risk of injury such as football and hockey (and to a lesser extent baseball, but the potential is definitely still there for injury). I'd have a harder time enjoying something like boxing or MMA where concussion is one of the goals of the sport. YMMV.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:57 am but there’s risk in sports, just as there’s risk in life.

Life/living is a fundamental requirement to 'the conversation' and its risks come in a few varieties. There are inherent risks in life... This is what I believe you are referencing in the comment above... things like disease, poison, tree branches, or random accidents on the commute to work. We all try and totally eliminate or minimize those risks all the time. Then there are the increased "enjoyments of living" life risks that we willingly put upon ourselves... Things like taking the family on a trip down the Grand Canyon, learning to fly, or boxing.

Some of those voluntary risks will seem really 'not worth it' to a vast majority of people (boxing, for instance)... while going on a professionally run rafting trip down the Grand Canyon may be quite appealing to a good deal of people.

Ultimately we all take risks and we all avoid risks that we find not worth it. And we all (should) advise our children with our own risk/reward mentality, but it's not our scale that it needs to be weighed on - it's theirs.

As to the morals of watching someone do something I would not myself risk (or want those dear to me to risk)... I'm not sure how to look at it. I know I'm bothered by the idea that for some athletes getting/staying out of poverty is the reward that these risks are weighed against, but I think most are doing it because of a passion for the sport and their success with it. This is true for football players, rescue helicopter pilots, river rafting tour guides, and high-wire artists... I'm not sure where I should draw the line as to whether I am willing or unwilling to participate in enjoying the fruits of their risk-taking.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

'Remarkable improvement' from Hamlin, Bills say

The Bills released an update on Damar Hamlin's status Thursday morning, noting that the safety has improved over the past day but remains critically ill. His agent also told AP that Hamlin is awake and able to grip the hands of family members.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Amazing. I was sure he would be mostly brain dead at best when he left the field, and was leaning ‘probably dead dead’.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

He had the advantage of immediate medical attention, fortunately. Most people aren't so lucky if they have a heart issue like that.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I have no issue with people that don’t want to watch certain sports because of the violent nature. For a very long time, that’s how I felt about combat sports like MMA.

My son did not want to play high school football (he played youth football), but if he wanted to, I would have been fine with it. Many of the kids that I coached at the youth level went on to play in high school and I was close enough to them that I worried about injury while I watched, but I also saw the positive aspects for them in playing that kind of team sport.

As some may remember, when my son was a freshman, the starting QB for the varsity team died after a particularly violent hit. While he was older than my son, he was a kid that I knew, who helped us coach basketball occasionally. He was a great kid, and it was exceedingly tragic for the community (ESPN did a follow up story about a year later on the impact to the parents, and reading it actually caused me to dry heave, trying to comprehend the daily pain his parents still felt).

The dangers of football are real. But virtually all high school athletes emerge unscathed. Evan died because he was playing with an enlarged spleen (I believe he had mono and didn’t know it), and it ruptured when he got hit (they also didn’t know that, and he kept playing until he collapsed).

I like watching the sport of football. I like that there are athletes that are willing to take those risks to play the game that they love. I don’t feel bad for it. I feel terrible for Damar and his family, friends, teammates, etc. Even though they signed up to play this sport, they probably didn’t consider THIS potential risk.

If there are players that look at this situation and say “I’m no longer willing to do this”, then I support them.

They aren’t risking their health BECAUSE of me, or for me. They are risking their health because they want to play, and they want to use that to provide for their families.

I’m never going to feel bad about that. But I don’t judge those that do.

Also, Damar came out of sedation last night, and is responsive and appears to be neurologically intact. That is excellent news.
Make up bags of change