Halo Infinite Campaign

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scraper

Halo Infinite Campaign

Post by Scraper »

Now that this has finally launched is anyone else playing it? I'm about 2 hours in now on the Series X. It's definitely a Halo game but for me something seems off and I can't figure out what it is. As a point of reference I have finished Doom Eternal, Prey and Gears 5 in the past couple of months. Compared to those games Infinite feels off, but I can't figure out what it is. Maybe it's that Master Chief controls a bit stiffer than those other games or maybe it's the sound, I don't know. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?
FTE
Blackhawk

Re: Halo Infinite Campaign

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm installing it. I'm still debating whether I want to add a fifth game to rotation right now, but I'd like to play while it's new.

I'll have to look up a Halo 5 synopsis, since it never released on anything I own.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
naednek

Post by naednek »

definitely feels like a halo game. Cookie Cutter level design, interchangeable gun play. But the main difference is at a certain point it turns into open world, and that seems different from past games. The sound is top notch almost as good as the battlefield series.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I reached the open world part and it definitely has my collection bug scratched. So far I've done strictly side content and none if the main mission stuff.
FTE
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I started this last night. Haven't reached the open world part yet, but I hope I do soon. The opening sequences are scratching a little of my Halo nostalgia itch (love the Needler), but the level design leaves a lot to be desired.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kurth wrote:I started this last night. Haven't reached the open world part yet, but I hope I do soon. The opening sequences are scratching a little of my Halo nostalgia itch (love the Needler), but the level design leaves a lot to be desired.
I always hated the needler. Does too little damage,and was always my last resort weapon.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:33 pm
Kurth wrote:I started this last night. Haven't reached the open world part yet, but I hope I do soon. The opening sequences are scratching a little of my Halo nostalgia itch (love the Needler), but the level design leaves a lot to be desired.
I always hated the needler. Does too little damage,and was always my last resort weapon.
I hear you, but there's something inherently satisfying in using a grunt as a pin cushion!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kurth wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:24 pm I started this last night. Haven't reached the open world part yet, but I hope I do soon. The opening sequences are scratching a little of my Halo nostalgia itch (love the Needler), but the level design leaves a lot to be desired.
The level design has always been their weakspot. Too much copy and paste.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Disregard my earlier thoughts. The game has clicked with me. It just took a little bit to adjust to Master Chief's sluggishness compared to other fps characters. Getting out of the corridor style opening and into the open world segement also helped.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kurth wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:44 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:33 pm
I hear you, but there's something inherently satisfying in using a grunt as a pin cushion!
this
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I'm trying to push through to the open world stuff because the beginning is a tedious slog.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Scraper wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:33 am Disregard my earlier thoughts. The game has clicked with me. It just took a little bit to adjust to Master Chief's sluggishness compared to other fps characters. Getting out of the corridor style opening and into the open world segement also helped.
Does the opening pass reasonably quickly? I no longer have an XBox but from the reviews I’m really tempted to clear out some HD space and buy the PC version. I’d like me some open world Halo and it would be nice to return to the franchise since I did enjoy the first few games. Liked Halo Reach the best even though you weren’t playing as Master Chief.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:27 am
Scraper wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:33 am Disregard my earlier thoughts. The game has clicked with me. It just took a little bit to adjust to Master Chief's sluggishness compared to other fps characters. Getting out of the corridor style opening and into the open world segement also helped.
Does the opening pass reasonably quickly? I no longer have an XBox but from the reviews I’m really tempted to clear out some HD space and buy the PC version. I’d like me some open world Halo and it would be nice to return to the franchise since I did enjoy the first few games. Liked Halo Reach the best even though you weren’t playing as Master Chief.
I reached the open world areas last night (second night playing). I wasn’t rushing through the early, intro sections, but I’d say it’s 45 minutes to an hour and a half of gameplay, depending on your play style, before you hit the open world. Not too long a slog.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kurth wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:22 pm
I reached the open world areas last night (second night playing). I wasn’t rushing through the early, intro sections, but I’d say it’s 45 minutes to an hour and a half of gameplay, depending on your play style, before you hit the open world. Not too long a slog.
And then once you do, you will quickly remember how the vehicle handling is atrocious. But it does bring up some fun situations.

I do love the snide remarks from the enemies when you die. "Holleeee Crap! I did it!"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This free MP on PC?

Never mind. Found it on Steam. Downloading now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
I keep meaning to go back and try some of the earlier games. Not sure this is the one to jump in with though (for me).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Kurth wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:22 pm
Yep I would say I reached the open world in about 90 minutes of play time. It's tolerable.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:39 pm
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system

Yep. There are only a handful of DirectX 12 games that have ever supported Windows 7, mostly because the developer has to essentially port the game back to Windows 7 in order to make it work, and then provide support for those users. A few years ago some games did so, but now that Windows 7 is only used by around 3.5% of gamers, nobody will be spending the money to do so anymore. It isn't worth porting and providing support for an additional one or two percent sales.

Windows 7 is now like Windows XP or Windows 98 - full of fond memories, but only useful for running older games.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Thanks for the replies! I think I can tolerate 1.5 hrs of drudgery before some open world Halo goodness!

Are folks playing on a PC using a game pad? I have an old Xbox controller somewhere for these sorts of situations if a game pad is more optimal for killing.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

On PC i would imagine keyboard and mouse is preferable. Heck the xbox version has keyboard and mouse options.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

One big criticism i have with this game is that graphically it is very much last gen. Playing on the Xbox Series X there is literally nothing in the looks department that impresses me. I cant wait until microsoft stops forcing everyone to develope every game for the Xbox One, PC, and series X/S.
FTE
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Same. 100%. And I don’t understand this at all. It’s a Microsoft game, right? Why would they not use it to showcase what the Series X can do? Yet another disappointment in a long line of disappointments I’ve had since I invested in this next gen console. Don’t get me wrong: It’s a fine console. But I have yet to see anything on it that really blows me away, graphically. Maybe Medium, but that’s about it. Kind of a bummer.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The graphics aren't jaw-dropping, but I think they look good enough (especially since the last Halo title I played was 4 on the 360.) At least it's playable on my mid-range system without having to turn everything off to make it run. "Last gen" with shadows, ambient occlusion, and antialiasing still looks better than bleeding edge with all of that turned off. Then again, the way the allied troops run is comical at best.

I cleared out all of the activities revealed by the first two FOBs this evening, and I'm having a blast. The grapple makes combat a lot of fun, and the first couple of upgrades (shock and the cooldown reduction) make a big difference. It's surprisingly powerful in a firefight. Grapple a tough enemy, which stuns him, land with a melee blow, stick a grenade to his face, then turn around and grapple away while he screams about the plasma grenade hanging from his nose.
$iljanus wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:47 pm Are folks playing on a PC using a game pad? I have an old Xbox controller somewhere for these sorts of situations if a game pad is more optimal for killing.
It is a first person shooter on PC. Mouse/keyboard are going to be optimal. The driving works fine on the PC, using the same controls as the previous halo games - just point your mouse where you want to go and the vehicle will head that way. Once you get used to how each one handles, it's surprisingly effective. It's the same controls that Gearbox borrowed for the vehicles in Borderlands.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:47 pm Are folks playing on a PC using a game pad? I have an old Xbox controller somewhere for these sorts of situations if a game pad is more optimal for killing.

/edit - I have no idea why it recorded that high-pitched whine. It wasn't there when I was playing. I assume that the marines need their hip servos oiled.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:59 pm
It is a first person shooter on PC. Mouse/keyboard are going to be optimal. The driving works fine on the PC, using the same controls as the previous halo games - just point your mouse where you want to go and the vehicle will head that way. Once you get used to how each one handles, it's surprisingly effective. It's the same controls that Gearbox borrowed for the vehicles in Borderlands.
Oh yeah! Back to the days when I did all my FPS killing with the mouse!
Black lives matter!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

*Windows 7x64 sulks in the corner refusing to play with the others of his kind*
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m surprised you’re not using an Amiga these days.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fingers are too big for the old keyboards. They were made for the small folk who lived in caves.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really hope they patch out the issue for Xbox game pass players that informs you you don’t own a license and have to buy one when using quick resume. I’ve had it happen twice now in two days. :x
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:31 pm I really hope they patch out the issue for Xbox game pass players that informs you you don’t own a license and have to buy one when using quick resume. I’ve had it happen twice now in two days. :x
I haven't had that happen. But for about the first 3 hours of gameplay i didn't get credit for any achievements. I had to restart the game to start getting them. Which means i missed the first couple story related ones.
FTE
disarm

Post by disarm »

hepcat wrote:I really hope they patch out the issue for Xbox game pass players that informs you you don’t own a license and have to buy one when using quick resume. I’ve had it happen twice now in two days. :x
They've acknowledged an issue with infinite's 'Quick Resume' where your online connection can drop between play sessions. This has a couple different effects, but one of the problems is what you're experiencing. When you try to restart, it says you don't have a license because you're not connected to Xbox Live to confirm your Game Pass access. Make sure you're connected to Live before resuming the game and you should be fine.

Read the official statement here...

Unfortunately I'm having this issue a lot with my Series X right now. The wifi frequently disconnects when I turn off/suspend my console, meaning that I have to wait to sign into Live before resuming a GamePass game...slows the process a little when I first sit down to play. It's also causing problem where my console doesn't consistently download/install new games or updates when I walk away, or allow me to initiate remote installs...pretty annoying when I start a game install, wait until the next day to play, then find out the install suspended while I was away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't know what it is, but there's just something about the Halo games that makes me feel like a badass when playing. There's nothing that I can point to, but after getting used to the controls again, I'm back to pulling off stuff I could never do in another FPS. Although I do dislike the vehicle controls still.

I switched to Heroic as I forgot that that's the only way to play for me. It forces me to be tactical. Now my battles are back to quickly running between cover and trying to find weapons. I spent almost 40 minutes last night whittling down a named character and his crew. It was great. Find hill, empty guns into his group, make mad dash to his weapon locker, dash back up hill. Rinse, repeat.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Halo is good at that (and the music helps.)

Far Cry is another that has that effect for me, at least in the sweet spot between the beginning and becoming overpowered.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Has anyone else had the bug where you spend Spartan Suit points and then when you go back into the menu the points are still there and the upgrade is unlocked? Essentially you get free upgrades. I've had it happen twice on 3 point upgrades. I'm not complaining about it, but it seems like a pretty obvious bug that should have been fixed prior to launch. My hope is that they don't patch it out and take away my upgrades.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I haven't had that happen. But I did come across an issue where I found a mjolnir upgrade and when I tried to then switch weapons, it wouldn't let me. it also made my weapons inaccessible. couldn't shoot, couldn't switch...but i could zoom with the left trigger. had to restart to get it working again.

methinks this game could have used a bit more q&a.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Scraper wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:31 am Has anyone else had the bug where you spend Spartan Suit points and then when you go back into the menu the points are still there and the upgrade is unlocked? Essentially you get free upgrades. I've had it happen twice on 3 point upgrades. I'm not complaining about it, but it seems like a pretty obvious bug that should have been fixed prior to launch. My hope is that they don't patch it out and take away my upgrades.
So the bug does even more, sometimes when I pick up a suit point I get multiple points. I'm at a place in the game where I have every single upgrade unlocked and I have 9 unused points. On top of that there are at least 8 points in the world that I haven't bothered to pick up. It's a strange bug that I find hard to believe that no one else is having.
Last edited by Scraper on Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Odd, I've yet to experience any of the aforementioned bugs. I'm sure they exist - I've just been lucky. Not to worry, though! I'm certain I'll get someone else's portion of bugs in some other game.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The only bug I ran into was my sound cutting out when I loaded a campaign save. But a restart fixed that up and haven't run into it since.

My favorite weapon of the game is the humble grapple hook. My favorite move is just grappling hostiles so I get up close and personal before bashing them in the face. Or grappling the occasional power cell so I can throw it.
Black lives matter!

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:30 am The only bug I ran into was my sound cutting out when I loaded a campaign save. But a restart fixed that up and haven't run into it since.

My favorite weapon of the game is the humble grapple hook. My favorite move is just grappling hostiles so I get up close and personal before bashing them in the face. Or grappling the occasional power cell so I can throw it.
Grappling onto a vehicle being driven by a bad guy is also enjoyable. If you do it right you hijack it.
FTE
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Scraper wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:42 pm
$iljanus wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:30 am The only bug I ran into was my sound cutting out when I loaded a campaign save. But a restart fixed that up and haven't run into it since.

Grappling onto a vehicle being driven by a bad guy is also enjoyable. If you do it right you hijack it.
I just did that for the first time with a Ghost! :wub:
Black lives matter!