Halo Infinite Campaign

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scraper

Re: Halo Infinite Campaign

Post by Scraper »

I'm nearing the end of the campaign and eventually the game takes you back through another long indoor corridor section (About 2 hours long). All I can say is that their level design is about 20 years in the past. It's literally one hallway connecting you to a somewhat open area that is mostly empty comprised of a bunch of shiny silver and blue colors. Finish up that area activate a console and move onto the next hallway and rinse and repeat for 2 hours. It is horrendous level design for 2021. This alone drags the single player score down for me, no way I would give the campaign a score in the 90s and honestly I think 80 is pushing it. If not for the open world section it would be an entirely subpar campaign. It's not that the open world parts are that great either when compared to open world shooters like Far Cry. Heck I would rate Far Cry 3-6 higher than Infinite.
FTE
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Scraper wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:31 am I'm nearing the end of the campaign and eventually the game takes you back through another long indoor corridor section (About 2 hours long). All I can say is that their level design is about 20 years in the past. It's literally one hallway connecting you to a somewhat open area that is mostly empty comprised of a bunch of shiny silver and blue colors. Finish up that area activate a console and move onto the next hallway and rinse and repeat for 2 hours. It is horrendous level design for 2021. This alone drags the single player score down for me, no way I would give the campaign a score in the 90s and honestly I think 80 is pushing it. If not for the open world section it would be an entirely subpar campaign. It's not that the open world parts are that great either when compared to open world shooters like Far Cry. Heck I would rate Far Cry 3-6 higher than Infinite.
That’s a shame. They should have taken some inspiration from Horizon Zero Dawn and their Caldron layouts which I thought were impressive. Assuming that the end levels are within the Halo ring I guess the Forerunners were bland minimalists.

I’ll enjoy the open world for now. I’m entertained by the scrappy little grunts and their chatter, and I’m even happy for them when they kill me since they are so proud of themselves!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not too bothered by it. In fact, I still enjoy older, linear games (and I played Halo 1 and 2 within the past year, along with Half-Life and it's expansions.) For two hours, I see it more as a change of pace than anything. And while I prefer open levels, open worlds are something I could do with less of.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
naednek

Post by naednek »

Scraper wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:31 am I'm nearing the end of the campaign and eventually the game takes you back through another long indoor corridor section (About 2 hours long). All I can say is that their level design is about 20 years in the past. It's literally one hallway connecting you to a somewhat open area that is mostly empty comprised of a bunch of shiny silver and blue colors. Finish up that area activate a console and move onto the next hallway and rinse and repeat for 2 hours. It is horrendous level design for 2021.
It was a horrendus level design 15 years ago as well. Halo has always been this way. It's my main beef with the series. They do a lot of things right, but they never improve on the design.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, Halo 1 was probably the worst offender of it that I've ever seen. I believe the level was called 'Assault on the Control Room.' You go though...

[a hall into a round chamber that leads to a hall that leads to a round chamber that leads to a hall that leads to a round chamber.]

This leads to a bridge. Across the bridge you arrive at...

[a hall into a round chamber that leads to a hall that leads to a round chamber that leads to a hall that leads to a round chamber.]

This leads to a bridge. Across the bridge, you come to...

And yes, all of the hallways, bridges, and rooms are identical. There is one bridge, one room, and one hall that are simply copy-pasted. After three or four of these sequences, you arrive at a large room that leads to a cutscene. After that, you turn around and go back out the way you came, through...

Etc.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I keeps seeing complaints that the campaign is only 8 to 12 hours long. But like most of these games, I'm going to be at least twice that...probably three though. I've already put in about 12 hours and according to the list of campaign levels, I'm just a little over halfway through. I guess if I didn't stop to take FOBs, rescue squads or just play with my grappling hook, it could be much quicker. But I consider most of those things an essential part of playing the game.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:04 pm Actually, Halo 1 was probably the worst offender of it that I've ever seen. I believe the level was called 'Assault on the Control Room.' You go though...

This leads to a bridge. Across the bridge you arrive at...

This leads to a bridge. Across the bridge, you come to...

And yes, all of the hallways, bridges, and rooms are identical. There is one bridge, one room, and one hall that are simply copy-pasted. After three or four of these sequences, you arrive at a large room that leads to a cutscene. After that, you turn around and go back out the way you came, through...

Etc.
The section towards the end in Infinite that I was talking about is literally that bad. At one point well into the cycle the game lets you see the open world, only to dash your hopes and literally warp you right back into another tunnel.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, those Spartan killers. Cripes.
Covfefe!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:44 am I’ll enjoy the open world for now. I’m entertained by the scrappy little grunts and their chatter, and I’m even happy for them when they kill me since they are so proud of themselves!
Agreed, 100%. There’s just something really endearing about how hard those little guys try, that when they finally gun me down every now and again, I don’t mind all that much. Especially since the auto-save and checkpoint system is pretty robust and generous.

All in all, I’m still enjoying the single player campaign. Even though there’s a lot of rinse and repeat, I’m compelled to rescue all the UNSC forces in need of assistance, and securing the FOBs is pretty satisfying, too.

I’m definitely getting my money’s worth, although, considering I’m playing on Game Pass, that’s not saying much! :)
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kurth wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:14 am
All in all, I’m still enjoying the single player campaign. Even though there’s a lot of rinse and repeat, I’m compelled to rescue all the UNSC forces in need of assistance, and securing the FOBs is pretty satisfying, too.
Rescuing UNSC friendlies is pretty fun but I had to laugh when after liberating a FOB I was calling down a Warthog and noticed that one of my newly liberated allies was standing kind of close to the drop point. I was wondering how that would work out for him and it turned out not so well. His squadmate didn't seem to be put out by his crushed body as we climbed into the Warthog and off we went.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:44 am I’ll enjoy the open world for now. I’m entertained by the scrappy little grunts and their chatter, and I’m even happy for them when they kill me since they are so proud of themselves!
Agreed, 100%. There’s just something really endearing about how hard those little guys try, that when they finally gun me down every now and again, I don’t mind all that much. Especially since the auto-save and checkpoint system is pretty robust and generous.
Me, grappling to a grunt. The grunt: "The physics behind this are AAaargg!" I don't know what the last couple of words were, as I'd landed and killed him, but I still got a chuckle.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:02 pm
Me, grappling to a grunt. The grunt: "The physics behind this are AAaargg!" I don't know what the last couple of words were, as I'd landed and killed him, but I still got a chuckle.
That is pretty funny. I have to imagine Master Chief weighs at least 500 pounds in that armor. The grunt weighs maybe 100. The physics behind grappling to a Grant are AAaargg!
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scraper wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:13 pm I have to imagine Master Chief weighs at least 500 pounds in that armor.
Double that. It's powered armor, almost a vehicle, and with him inside it weighs about 1,000 pounds.

Source: My kids were obsessed with Halo for about five years, so I took it up as something we could all bond over.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:18 pm
Scraper wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:13 pm I have to imagine Master Chief weighs at least 500 pounds in that armor.
Double that. It's powered armor, almost a vehicle, and with him inside it weighs about 1,000 pounds.

Source: My kids were obsessed with Halo for about five years, so I took it up as something we could all bond over.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Crap. Apparently checkpoints in missions aren't the same as checkpoints in the open world, and reset if you quit. I just lost about 30 minutes of progress from yesterday because I can't always sit at my PC for two hours straight and sometimes have to quit games to go be an adult.

I get 'challenge' and 'pacing', but I wish developers would learn that players live in the real world.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:52 am
Rescuing UNSC friendlies is pretty fun but I had to laugh when after liberating a FOB I was calling down a Warthog and noticed that one of my newly liberated allies was standing kind of close to the drop point. I was wondering how that would work out for him and it turned out not so well. His squadmate didn't seem to be put out by his crushed body as we climbed into the Warthog and off we went.
I saw this happen, too! I kept thinking, step away from the vehicle drop site, step away from the vehicle drop site. And then, splat. Oh well.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:29 pm Crap. Apparently checkpoints in missions aren't the same as checkpoints in the open world, and reset if you quit. I just lost about 30 minutes of progress from yesterday because I can't always sit at my PC for two hours straight and sometimes have to quit games to go be an adult.

I get 'challenge' and 'pacing', but I wish developers would learn that players live in the real world.
Yup! I learned that the hard way when I was making my way through the start of the game when I got bounced to the start of the first mission after loading what I thought was a checkpoint further into the mission. Really, developers. We don’t love you any less when we need to save our progress because the demands of the world intrude.
Black lives matter!

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finished the campaign last night. The story was ok, it was typical Halo in that it didn't make the most sense but you at least had a reason to want to fight the badguys.

Also, those big round bad guys with shields are way OP toward the end.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have seen the sandwich, and it was good.

Now, you know how you can spawn any weapons you like in your base? And you know how you can swap weapons with the AI squadmates and they get infinite ammo? That also applies to the 'special' weapons you get from high value targets.

Try loading up a Razorback with five marines, all equipped with the upgraded Sentinel beam. It's like an infinite disco ball of death.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had to lower the difficulty to normal for the Spartan killers. Sheesh. Normal weapons just weren’t doing it on heroic. And every time I’d run to a nearby base to reload after whittling down their health a smidgen, they’d be back to full health when I got back.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Clarify something for me - once you pass the first hour or so you explode into the open world. The landmass on your map - is that the entirety of it, or does more open up once you pass a certain point? I've finished a huge chunk of that landmass, and I'm wondering if I'm actually pretty far along, or if I am going to do a campaign mission somewhere and find myself on a different 'island'.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:40 am Clarify something for me - once you pass the first hour or so you explode into the open world. The landmass on your map - is that the entirety of it, or does more open up once you pass a certain point? I've finished a huge chunk of that landmass, and I'm wondering if I'm actually pretty far along, or if I am going to do a campaign mission somewhere and find myself on a different 'island'.
If anyone answers, put it in a spoiler tag, cuz I don't want to know :)
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:40 am Clarify something for me - once you pass the first hour or so you explode into the open world. The landmass on your map - is that the entirety of it, or does more open up once you pass a certain point? I've finished a huge chunk of that landmass, and I'm wondering if I'm actually pretty far along, or if I am going to do a campaign mission somewhere and find myself on a different 'island'.
Spoiler:
its the entire map, the open world part really isn't that big when compared to other open world games.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scraper wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:07 pm
Spoiler:
its the entire map, the open world part really isn't that big when compared to other open world games.
Awesome, thanks. I like to pace myself to mix missions with exploration content, so I prefer to at least have an idea of how much of the latter there is. I think I need to focus down some campaign missions.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Yeah it's worth it to do all the open world stuff becuase there's not an overabundance of it and for the most part it's more fun than the story based missions.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There are very few things in gaming more satisfying than parking a scorpion on a hill overlooking a fob and just blasting away.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:39 pm There are very few things in gaming more satisfying than parking a scorpion on a hill overlooking a fob and just blasting away.
Standing on a hill overlooking a crowded fob, shooting a plasma coil and causing a chain reaction that wipes almost the entire enemy garrison out.
naednek

Post by naednek »

having a hard time against the two bosses after you take out the 3 giant guns.
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:31 pm having a hard time against the two bosses after you take out the 3 giant guns.
finally got past that mess. I had to resort to gaming the system :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:49 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:31 pm having a hard time against the two bosses after you take out the 3 giant guns.
I had to bump down the difficulty to normal, as mentioned earlier....but if you want a slight hint for making things easier
Spoiler:
There are at least 2 warthogs with mounted weapons. One is on the north side slightly west in a ship, and the other was southeast out in the open. Just mount up as a gunner and start firing the cannon.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:13 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:49 pm
I had to bump down the difficulty to normal, as mentioned earlier....but if you want a slight hint for making things easier
Spoiler:
There are at least 2 warthogs with mounted weapons. One is on the north side slightly west in a ship, and the other was southeast out in the open. Just mount up as a gunner and start firing the cannon.

Thanks. I saw that after i finally beat them :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ditto. :(
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

This Spartan appreciates your hard work and will definitely be looking for the vehicles in question when the time comes! :D
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The problem is that they’re close to the killers, so you have to be careful getting to them.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:36 pm The problem is that they’re close to the killers, so you have to be careful getting to them.
Thanks for the heads up. It will be all the more satisfying when I light them up…after a few attempts.
Black lives matter!

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:14 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:36 pm The problem is that they’re close to the killers, so you have to be careful getting to them.
Thanks for the heads up. It will be all the more satisfying when I light them up…after a few attempts.
I beat them by standing inside a weapons shed and using the shield wall power. This way you are pretty protected. There's a decent gun in the shed that can kill one of them fairly quickly. That leaves just the sniper one and he's not bad if you can get close to him.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I came into that fight from the top of one of the ships with a shock rifle and a Commando rifle. The shock rifle took the guy on the tower to about half health with headshots and casual dodging (he was so far away that his shots arced in easy to avoid lines.) When he jetted over to the second tower, I moved over to the side top of that same ship. There was another Commando rifle there for extra ammo. The guy on the chopper drove down under me and tried to shoot. I took his shield down, backing up whenever mine got low. When he got close enough, I dropped an electric grenade on him (stopping his chopper), then stuck two plasma grenades to him. I repeated that with two of the brute grenades, and that was enough to finish him. I went off the back of the ship and took down the various reinforcements, then plinked at the other guy until he was dead. It helped that there were five plasma coils where he liked to stand on the center tower. A couple of rounds into those...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just grappled the chopper rider and car jacked his hooptie. The grapple makes enemies on vehicles kind of easy in a way.

Right now I’m in love with hijacking a banshee and joy riding to the top of mountains.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I really wish there was some way to either highlight incomplete activities, or to hide completed ones. The map is littered. I'm missing one Forerunner artifact and one Spartan Core, but the difference between a complete and incomplete one is negligible.