[Disney+] Obi-Wan Kenobi

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Baroquen

Re: [Disney+] Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Baroquen »

The one remaining problem I have/had with reconciling the TV series with "A New Hope" was apparently going to be addressed in the originally scheduled movie trilogy: (Spoiler quotes / better-safe-than-sorry)

Spoiler:
from a "DenofGeek" article... wrote:But the second movie in the trilogy is what really excited the writer, as it gave him a chance to explore universal themes about one’s end and purpose. That movie would have followed Obi-Wan’s struggle to accept that he will die, which sets up his sacrifice to save Luke in A New Hope. In that movie, “Obi-Wan now has to come to terms with his own mortality, somehow in a prophecy, or Qui-Gon telling him, ‘There’s going to come a moment where you’re gonna have to sacrifice yourself for the good’.”
Maybe they'll get to that if there's a season two, and hopefully it'd be a good explanation.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I enjoyed this series so much more than Episodes 7 through 9 as well as Episode 1. Like some have been saying, don't over think it and just enjoy it for what it is. Which is more Star Wars with mainline Star Wars characters.
FTE
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hyena wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:28 pm I enjoyed it. It cleared two concerns I had for certain.
Spoiler:
1. When they fight on the Deathstar, Vader says, "when last we met, I was but a learner. Now I am the master." I figured that meant the hadn't seen each other since Mustafar. I wondered how they were going to have them face off against each other after a statement like that. Well, clearly Obi Wan was still the master in that last encounter.

2. I thought it was a masterful stroke to include Vader's line of "I killed him!" referring to "Anakin", which is probably where Obi Wan justified this statement to Luke: "A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father."
2. "From a certain point of view."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:30 pm
Hyena wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:28 pm I enjoyed it. It cleared two concerns I had for certain.
Spoiler:
1. When they fight on the Deathstar, Vader says, "when last we met, I was but a learner. Now I am the master." I figured that meant the hadn't seen each other since Mustafar. I wondered how they were going to have them face off against each other after a statement like that. Well, clearly Obi Wan was still the master in that last encounter.

2. I thought it was a masterful stroke to include Vader's line of "I killed him!" referring to "Anakin", which is probably where Obi Wan justified this statement to Luke: "A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father."
2. "From a certain point of view."
A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well. I mean it's still not how you would describe your young Jedi pupil, named Anakin Skywalker - that (I suppose) was killed by Darth Vader.... who was also sorta a Jedi before he turned evil. And sorta a young pupil as well... And actually I'm totally only talking about one person here kid.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Spoilers about the whole show, obviously.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

They nailed it, of course.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm continuously amazed at how Pitch Meeting finds every plot hole I thought of for any movie or show, and then adds about 10 more.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LOL. Literally complained out loud to my fam about the lack of "verifying that your marked-for-death target is actually dead". :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, I myself was vocally complaining about Organa’s message that gave away every closely held secret. I paused my viewing to come here and complain about it.

What is sorta funny is they used it as a plot device that was perhaps the weakest part of the story.
I didn’t think it would just be used at the last minute to give Reva a path to redemption.
I assumed it was going to be -nearly- in Vaders hands or something.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I finally finished it, and it was a struggle.

So much to complain about, so let's get started:
Spoiler:
Leia - I hated every moment with her on screen. Having her in the story was another example of forcing old characters on us. It didn't seem like Leia knew Obi-Wan, so why write a story where she is the focus?

Reva - I know Moses Ingram can act because I've seen it before, but she was completely miscast here. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, will someone explain how in the hell she takes a lightsaber through the chest, is left to die, then is shown an hour later on Tattooine? I get it, she heard "Tattooine" and "Owen" and was able to use that little bit of information, some aspirin, and some ship that we don't know how she got, to travel to Owen's neighborhood. Does Tattooine consist of only 40 acres worth of people? How exactly does she know where to go?

Snowspeeders - Apparently their weakness is having boxes hurled at them. It makes them immediately explode.

Obi-Wan and Vader's first meeting - Obi-Wan was completely outmatched, yet he somehow escaped because Vader and his Stormtroopers couldn't get around the 20' of leaves that were on fire?

Obi-Wan and Vader's second meeting - This one was the highlight of the series. Obi-Wan shows that Anakin cannot handle Kenobi one on one. We see behind the mask and get into his mentality. Of course this great scene is ruined when Obi-Wan just leaves Vader to fight for evil another day. Way to go, jackass.

Obi-Wan and Anakin flashbacks - was anyone else wondering why they were sparring like that with real lightsabers?

Minor nitpick - Obi-Wan goes to Alderaan to see Leia and her parents. He stays for around 45 seconds before getting on the ship and heading out. Nobody invites him for dinner or anything. That could have been a phone call. Same thing at the end when he travels by desert horse thing to see Owen and tell him something that takes 30 seconds.
I'm not going to complain about more Star Wars stuff. I only hope that they finally break free from the established characters. I don't want to see young Lando, or Porkins in the Academy. Let's focus on other times in the Star Wars universe.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

McNutt wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:33 pm II'm not going to complain about more Star Wars stuff. I only hope that they finally break free from the established characters. I don't want to see young Lando, or Porkins in the Academy. Let's focus on other times in the Star Wars universe.
Hang on, I'll make an exception for Porkins in the academy....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finally finished Obi-Wan this afternoon. It got better after the first couple episodes (which I thought were pretty boring), and ended up a decent series. Definitely glad I watched it and while it didn't blow me away, I didn't feel like it was a waste of time (like Boba Fett). A couple thoughts/observations:

- Ewan McGregor is so incredibly good as Obi-Wan. The entire show hinged on him, and he absolutely knocked it out of the park. He's truly stellar in that role.
- Leia never got any less annoying.
- Episode 5 was by far the best
- A satisfying ending that tied together lots of loose ends.

Some spoilery nitpicks:
Spoiler:
- As everyone else has said, having both Reva and previous Grand Inquisitor just shrug off light saber skewerings was just silly. I half expected Qui-Gon to show up alive at the end, since those are apparently no longer fatal.
- Is it really that hard to just make sure someone's dead? I mean, we watched Vader snap necks with a wave of his hand. Maybe, you know, do that?
- So they blast away at the door with heavy artillery so Leia can futz around with the fuse box for an hour, but then Reva simply sticks her lightsaber into it and the whole door falls apart. Okay... :lol:
- How was the holster spared? Didn't she use a thermal detonator to incinerate the hallway, including herself?
- Odd that a small dropship from a transport has enough shielding to shrug off multiple blasts from a Star Destroyer. Although I suppose vaporizing Obi-Wan into space dust would have been a somewhat less satisfying conclusion.
- How did they miss the opportunity for a "high ground" crack???
- I've always understood that "Darth" is an honorific in the SW universe, like "General" or "Captain". There's lots of "Darth"s, just like there's lots of "Moff"s. Makes it weird that Obi-Wan would say "Goodbye Darth" instead of 'Goodbye Vader".
- The "Hello there" at the end was awesome.
- Loved seeing Owen and Beru get a bad-ass moment.
- It was bugging me because Roken looked so familiar, but I could place where I'd seen him. Turns out he's Ice Cube's kid, and the resemblance is uncanny.
I'd probably give it a 6/8 tentacles overall. Not sure I would have any interest in sitting through it again, but it was fun.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Re: Darth
Spoiler:
We discussed prior to that episode how odd sounding it was in Ep. 4 when he clearly used it as a first name (long before Lucas had written the lore behind it.). I figured that they used it here to try and make the Ep 4 scene make more sense.

IE, using it a bit sarcastically and as a way of saying, "Annakin really is dead." It is awkward, but sort of works if you substitute a different honorific, like "Goodbye, Doctor", spoken with sarcasm.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It's a good example of something being stupid in purpose but clever in execution. Which I think kind of sums up the whole series and prequels/interquels in general.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:42 pm Re: Darth
Spoiler:
We discussed prior to that episode how odd sounding it was in Ep. 4 when he clearly used it as a first name (long before Lucas had written the lore behind it.). I figured that they used it here to try and make the Ep 4 scene make more sense.

IE, using it a bit sarcastically and as a way of saying, "Annakin really is dead." It is awkward, but sort of works if you substitute a different honorific, like "Goodbye, Doctor", spoken with sarcasm.
I have/harbor the same explanation but where the speaker is saying ‘General’ (or Darth, here) as a nod to their recent membership in the Sith.

Maybe in the way a person may label their old friend ‘Comrade’ after learning they are actually Russian spies. Said with bitterness.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I binged this whole thing over the past 14 hours while homebound with not-COVID. Love the bicycle helmet discussion here.

I liked it a lot. Plenty to nitpick as has already been done in this thread, so I'll just add one: the actress playing Leia was *not* ten during filming. She was actually 8, just shy of 9. And I would have pegged her at 7 1/2. I wonder why they felt the need to call her ten when she quite clearly was not? Perhaps due to the demi-torture scene she would end up in?

Ewan rocks as Obi-wan.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:16 pm I binged this whole thing over the past 14 hours while homebound with not-COVID. Love the bicycle helmet discussion here.

I liked it a lot. Plenty to nitpick as has already been done in this thread, so I'll just add one: the actress playing Leia was *not* ten during filming. She was actually 8, just shy of 9. And I would have pegged her at 7 1/2. I wonder why they felt the need to call her ten when she quite clearly was not? Perhaps due to the demi-torture scene she would end up in?

Ewan rocks as Obi-wan.
Maybe to avoid statutory issues when she kisses her brother in Ep IV?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:16 pm I liked it a lot. Plenty to nitpick as has already been done in this thread, so I'll just add one: the actress playing Leia was *not* ten during filming. She was actually 8, just shy of 9. And I would have pegged her at 7 1/2. I wonder why they felt the need to call her ten when she quite clearly was not? Perhaps due to the demi-torture scene she would end up in?
If I had to guess, there was probably some element of it that was established in canon with a date (even if it was background stuff.) And since we know exactly when they were born, that may have defined her age.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
Kennedy also fielded an inquiry about a potential second season of the series “Obi-Wan Kenobi.” Some fans have pushed for a follow-up adventure for Ewan McGregor’s iconic Jedi.

“That is not an active development,” she said. “But I never say never, because there’s always the possibility. That show was so well-received and [director] Deborah Chow did such a spectacular job. Ewan McGregor really wants to do another. Everybody’s all hands on deck with what we’re doing right now, as you can see by what we showed everybody [at the Celebration]. We’ll turn our attention to that again maybe down the road.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:25 pm Variety
Kennedy also fielded an inquiry about a potential second season of the series “Obi-Wan Kenobi.” Some fans have pushed for a follow-up adventure for Ewan McGregor’s iconic Jedi.

“That is not an active development,” she said. “But I never say never, because there’s always the possibility. That show was so well-received and [director] Deborah Chow did such a spectacular job. Ewan McGregor really wants to do another. Everybody’s all hands on deck with what we’re doing right now, as you can see by what we showed everybody [at the Celebration]. We’ll turn our attention to that again maybe down the road.”
If they can make $ on it and the people needed are on board - they would be fools to pass on it.

Also, I like calling people 'fools' who are not doing what I want them to do.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Obi & Jar-Jar: A Love Story.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thought this was a good place to put this. Its a tribute video of Anakin to Vader and back. Its 18 minutes but well worth a sit through once. I found it pretty amazing .

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"