Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: [Disney+] Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:38 pm
Unagi wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:41 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:40 pm
I don't recall - but remind me if I am wrong - I don't think we saw any sign of them on-planet at the start of the series, right?
It looks like there was C-3PO in the beginning, with Leia at home.
I have no time to look back, but I feel like I remember seeing a gold and a silver protocol droid in that Alderaan party scene. One of them speaks in a female voice and (I thiiiiink) it was the gold one.
It was the silver one.

There was a shot (which felt very deliberate) of the gold one in conversation, but you couldn't hear it's voice. I'm guessing it's not 3PO.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:40 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:38 pm
Unagi wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:41 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:40 pm
I don't recall - but remind me if I am wrong - I don't think we saw any sign of them on-planet at the start of the series, right?
It looks like there was C-3PO in the beginning, with Leia at home.
I have no time to look back, but I feel like I remember seeing a gold and a silver protocol droid in that Alderaan party scene. One of them speaks in a female voice and (I thiiiiink) it was the gold one.
It was the silver one.

There was a shot (which felt very deliberate) of the gold one in conversation, but you couldn't hear it's voice. I'm guessing it's not 3PO.
Confirmed on the silver one speaking - she serves food to Leia.
The gold one is more in the background, I've re-watched it, you actually can hear a line (@ 35:19) that he gives over the din. Sounds a lot like him. And - he's got that silver leg.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:31 pm Watched the first three episodes with the kids this afternoon.
3. The kid doesn't come across as being even close to ten years old. She seems six, maybe seven tops. When Obi Wan asked "How old are you?" and she chirped "I'm ten!", all three of my kids said "yeah, right". Maybe it's just because I have two 9 year olds in my house right now, but she comes across as way younger (and yes, I know the actress playing her is, in fact, ten).
So funny, exact same reaction from my 12 year old. He almost fell off the couch when he heard that. Just would not let it go "TEN?!?!?!? TEN YEARS OLD?!?! REALLY??!?" :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

"Aren't you a little short for a 10 year old?"
Enlarge Image:)
She is small, but - yes - really. My (just now) 12yo daughter was that size 2 years ago as well.
And, clearly - the actress being 10 is even more relevant - just saying she isn't unique really.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:26 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:06 pm Will they write in an explanation for why Leia, in Star Wars Ep4, doesn't record her R2D2 message to Obi-wan with any reference to these adventures and instead tries to remind Obi-wan that he served with her father during the Clone Wars?
As recorded, I can accept Leia's recorded message as a fairly formal address to someone she hasn't seen in a couple of decades. It sort of makes sense if the adventure presented in this series is their only point of contact until Ep IV. The deeper connection can go unstated between them.

What seems more difficult to accept is Leia's attitude towards Kenobi's death on the Death Star. IIRC, Leia and Kenobi have no scenes together, but she does witness his death at the hands of Darth Vader just before escaping on the Millennium Falcon. It seems like that would be something that affected her personally more than just making her comfort Luke. (She met Luke just an hour ago, but she has known of Kenobi and Vader her whole life.)
Except it hasn't been a couple of decades...it's been less than 10.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

How old is Leia in A New Hope, 19?

The time between 10 and 19 felt like a couple of decades.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Have been watching and enjoying the show as well.

As with most SW content, you really can't study the plot / writing very closely because it just won't stand up to any scrutiny.

If you are inclined to poke fun at the writing and see humor in it this video is great (it is full of spoilers) Darth Vader - Jedi Hunter
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. Leia (and Carrie) were 19 in a New Hope.
JCC

Post by JCC »

The actress is 10 now. They started filming in May of last year. Doesn't seem all that egregious to me.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Her casting was obviously an intentional choice. I don't think there's an actual issue here. But I get why people are saying she doesn't look like the average ten-year-old, sure... because she doesn't lol. That stuff bugs kids especially.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, McGregor is only seven years younger than Guinness was in Ep 4. That's pretty close to perfect for the ages.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

JCC wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:37 pm Doesn't seem all that egregious to me.
Enlarge Image
just how my mind works.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:10 pm FWIW, McGregor is only seven years younger than Guinness was in Ep 4. That's pretty close to perfect for the ages.
Lord he seems SO much younger.

EDIT: Wait your math is wrong. Guiness was born in 1914 and Star Wars was 1977 so he was 63 in the first movie. Ewan was born in 1971 so he is 2 years younger than me that puts him at 51. So 12 years difference. He still seems a lot younger. Alec looked old I guess.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Blackhawk wrote:She has had to deal with a lot of loss - about two billion people. She's also a trained diplomat (wasn't she?) who dedicated her lift to serving others. I can certainly see her suppressing her own grief in order to support others.

Or at least that's how I justify how she reacts.
Spot on and passed over.

She's still in shock of her entire home planet being murdered in front of her. That'll make you bury some feelings.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:15 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:10 pm FWIW, McGregor is only seven years younger than Guinness was in Ep 4. That's pretty close to perfect for the ages.

EDIT: Wait your math is wrong. Guiness was born in 1914 and Star Wars was 1977 so he was 63 in the first movie. Ewan was born in 1971 so he is 2 years younger than me that puts him at 51. So 12 years difference. He still seems a lot younger. Alec looked old I guess.
Filming started in '73. He would have been 58/59 up to probably 62, depending on the scene.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I haven't read this thread to avoid spoilers because I'm only three episodes in.

My one takeaway is that L'il Leia is the most annoying Star Wars character ever. And that's saying something.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It says you need to rewatch Episode One and reacquaint yourself with one J. Binks. :lol:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

To be fair, she was pretty annoying in the original trilogy too. Acted like an entitled stuck up princess half the time, and a sarcastic smart-ass the other half. I don't really have a problem with her characterization per se, I just think her performances scream "child actor." I'm not trashing her, she's just a kid and she's obviously talented. She just doesn't have the experience yet to shed some of the common slight overacting of child actors.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Leia is even more annoying than Jar Jar. Yes I said that.

Her dialog seems to have been written by someone who has never met or been a child. She also seems to be slippery even though she's running two miles an hour.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Granted Ive only seen clips on YouTube but I think she is cute and adorable. I also thought that of the kids in Ewok Adventure though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, she reminds me a great deal of my sister.

Except for the totally absurd chase sequences.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

McNutt wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:26 am Leia is even more annoying than Jar Jar. Yes I said that.
Wrong. Just totally not accurate. Sorry. It's just not like that.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

McNutt wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:26 am She also seems to be slippery even though she's running two miles an hour.
Yeah, that's totally on her. Not the filming or the director - she should run faster. (I know you aren't blaming the actor)...

I don't look at that as being owned even by the character. It's awkward child-chase scene where they just suck at making it look like 'she just got away', instead it very much looks like 'they should have grabbed her', etc.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The forest scene was especially absurd, as you could see the pursuers barely speed-walking behind her. The city scene was almost as bad. The forest scene would have been better served by having her try to run, but just get grabbed. It would have been far more dramatic. And they could have had the city packed shoulder-to-shoulder such that she could have disappeared into the crowd, and still emerged into a 'clearing' just to have the villains appear around her for that part of the scene.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Totally agree with all of that.

And in all that, I’m just not left with finding Leia annoying because of the chase scene. It’s frustrating to watch but I don’t saddle the character , more so ‘the show’ for something like that.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I hate extremely precocious kids in movies. It's a pet peeve of mine. Then her somehow evading all her pursuers in the most ridiculously-filmed chase scenes put my hatred for that storyline over the top.

I'm going to stick with this show, but damn, Disney. Give me something.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:29 pm
naednek wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:28 am apparently we're onto episode 3. I thought it came out on Fridays. I stupidly clicked on the no context spoilers in this thread. grrr.

Time to bow out until I finish the series. Just sucks because it's nice to see conversation as it happens :)
Honestly, I think you should apologize. (I say this mildly... not with the severity that statement normally comes with)

There is no shame on someone that places their comment's in an Obi-Wan Kenobi forum under a Spoiler Tag - that they did not do enough to keep you from being spoiled.

Honest to god, what level of personal responsibility does it take to not realize that this isn't entirely on you - and while I understand 100% your frustration - it is not right to shun the author of a Spoiler'ed message that you assumed you were safe to consume. And this is said within the context that no one wants to spoil someone on this, so to call someone out like you did - seems a little like shifting the blame.

:?

edit: I am also not trying to come down on you too hard here... just pushing back. As I said - I totally understand the knee-jerk reaction to being spoiled unexpectedly.

sorry I just got caught up. I don't think it's asking too much to say Episode 3 spoilers or somethign similar. At the time I didn't realize the episodes came out on Wed. The first two came out on Friday, so I thought it would continue that way. So when I read the spoiler that was posted before the Friday, I thought we were still talking about episode 2 (remember there was no context, just someone pointing something within the spoiler box)

If it was Friday, I would have stayed out of the thread knowing I wouldn't be caught up.

So, yes, I take responsibility on not knowing the schedule, but as someone who is posting spoilers about a specific episode that's only released once a week, I think the person should take the responsibility and adding some sort of context.

Until today, I stayed out for that reason because I couldn't trust that would happen. If I wasn't caught up on week 2 I wouldn't have entered the thread. If I had know the episode had already aired and I wasn't caught up. I would have stayed out.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:41 pm At the risk of causing a tangent, my general policy is to create spoiler "clues" to let the person reading know (broadly) what I'm about to spoil.

Spoilers without any type of label are problematic, imho, and if people just added a basic label to them it would help to mitigate ruining anything for a show that is currently running.

How long we're supposed to wait after a movie is released or an entire TV series has aired, I still don't know.
thank you, that's all I was asking :)

If we want to talk more, someone can post a thread in the meta. I don't feel it needs to be discussed more. I just responded to Unagi as he asked. I didn't read the rest of the thread yet so I won't further derail.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

McNutt wrote:Her dialog seems to have been written by someone who has never met or been a child.
I'd argue that the entire show's dialogue seems to have been written by someone who has never watched a Star Wars movie, but I digress... :lol:
naednek

Post by naednek »

now, as far as the show itself.

While I thought it was interesting to see Leia as a kid, and her personality shows from what we've seen as adult. Seeing her in "action scenes" is a bit painful, just painful as watching young anakin in episode 1.

Atmosphere as always, fun.

Had no idea James Earl Jones would be voicing Vader again. In fact, I had thought he died a few years ago. So that was a nice surprise.

Storywise, kinda boring, and taking too long to progress for a 6 episode show. I thought it would be a tighter production with moving the story along to get from A to B.

Hoping the finale pays off.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

naednek wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:34 pm Hoping the finale pays off.
Allegedly the final episode is 93 minutes long, which is quite the increase from the regular weekly episodes...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:22 am Totally agree with all of that.

And in all that, I’m just not left with finding Leia annoying because of the chase scene. It’s frustrating to watch but I don’t saddle the character , more so ‘the show’ for something like that.
No, I honestly don't mind Leia herself, save for the absurd vent scene later on. However, the chases show that certain 'Disneyness' that also showed up in the Droidpunk Kids scenes in Boba Fett, an inappropriate and clumsy attempt to add youth appeal through action scenes that are just so utterly out of place that they pull me right out of the show. And a final thought on the chases:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know what they'll do once James Earl Jones is gone. The man and his voice is a bona fide legend. And rightly so. I love the guy..have since Conan. But he is like 91 now.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Daehawk wrote:I dont know what they'll do once James Earl Jones is gone. The man and his voice is a bona fide legend. And rightly so. I love the guy..have since Conan. But he is like 91 now.
They will use AI to replicate his voice. Someone will speak the lines, and the AI will make it sound like James Earl Jones.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Will never be the same. And if they did that doesn't that bring up rights and his estate receiving royalties?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't think they even need to resort to AI. There are tons of people who can do James Earl Jones impressions. They replaced every Jim Henson muppet's voice so Darth Vader should be a walk in the park.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

naednek wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:14 pm <snip>
No worries, please - and I'm sorry. I didn't actually want/plan for it to be a big thing. :doh: And please understand that I get it. I just didn't want anyone to take the blame, and I don't think you really meant it that way.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:25 pm I don't think they even need to resort to AI. There are tons of people who can do James Earl Jones impressions. They replaced every Jim Henson muppet's voice so Darth Vader should be a walk in the park.
Yeah, Scott Lawrence was great in all the games I've heard him in.

List of his games:
Spoiler:
TIE Fighter
Dark Forces
Force Commander
Battlefront II
Empire at War
Vader Immortal
Tales from Galaxy's Edge
naednek

Post by naednek »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:53 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:14 pm <snip>
No worries, please - and I'm sorry. I didn't actually want/plan for it to be a big thing. :doh: And please understand that I get it. I just didn't want anyone to take the blame, and I don't think you really meant it that way.
I was surprised it took a whole page of discussion. I saw the thread near the top over the last few weeks and just figured, must be some good episodes :)

I'll probably stick around until Wed and then bow out as not sure when we will catch up as we go on vacation soon.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:36 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:15 pm

Filming started in '73. He would have been 58/59 up to probably 62, depending on the scene.
One thing about 20th-century UK/European actors is that growing up in the Depression and then the shortages of WW2 often meant at least some form of malnutrition (even if just in the form of "not enough fresh fruit"). Even a 51-year-old Alec Guinness is going to look significantly older than a 51-year-old McGregor because Sir Alec had a much rougher road.

And, of course, actors today invest a huge amount of money in spa treatments, beauty technology, etc.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.