[Disney+] Obi-Wan Kenobi

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [Disney+] Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by hepcat »

So I’m watching this finally and I’m confused by something.
Spoiler:
In the prequels Kenobi is a super speedin’, ultra levitatin’ powerhouse. But 10 years on he struggles to lift a small child with this mind…let alone zip around like a speed skater on uppers. Is the force like a muscle in that if you don’t exercise it, you get force flabby?
Also, episode 2 had
Spoiler:
Oh, and I’m not getting the hate for the actress playing Reva. She’s doing fine, as far as I’m concerned.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Regarding the first thing:
Spoiler:
My understanding is that Obi Wan has semi-cut himself off from the force (or at least has significantly retreated / let that essentially atrophy. This is both as a survival mechanism to avoid detection (and make sure that he can live to protect Luke), and also to a degree the result of depression by virtue of having his whole world destroyed.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was wondering if
Spoiler:
perhaps the light side of the force was weaker after the death of so many of its followers?
I'm enjoying the show and I was pleased that Disney went
Spoiler:
full on evil with the Vader appearance. Snapping the neck of an innocent villager, dragging another around by the throat, all while lazily taking a stroll around the block....now THAT'S some evil shit.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

MASSIVE Spoiler on this new Wednesday's episode (Part V):
Spoiler:
The message that was sent to obi-wan couldn't have been more revealing of critical information.

"I know we said no communication, but" :: this will be listened to...
"If he knows about the children..." :: omg, you had to mention both kids?
"Owen on Tatooine" :: oh man, really - you just needed to give the name and planet !?

And then - the big reveal!!
Something that I had read speculated seems to be coming true, but they blew the prediction.
The speculation was she was one of the younglings in the opening scenes - and somehow she was lead to believe the Jedi abandoned her, etc, etc... But no. She is hunting Vader. Very cool. :ninja:

I'm having a lot of fun with this.
IMO, truly a great episode.
Last edited by Unagi on Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:40 pm Oh, and I’m not getting the hate for the actress playing Reva. She’s doing fine, as far as I’m concerned.
I agree. I think she is doing a really good job with it.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:10 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:40 pm Oh, and I’m not getting the hate for the actress playing Reva. She’s doing fine, as far as I’m concerned.
I don't get the hate either. The only thing I can chalk it up to is racism.
FTE
JCC

Post by JCC »

This week's episode was my favorite so far. Just fantastic. Can't wait for the finale!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scraper wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:55 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:10 am
I don't get the hate either. The only thing I can chalk it up to is racism.
On the internet review sites, I see that sometimes. But someone here mentioned they didn't like the role, but that it was because they thought the writing for her character was awful. Totally valid complaint. However, I don't find the writing for her character to be any worse or better than anyone else's on the show....so far.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So is it a valid complain if it’s the writing and the only problem someone had was with her acting?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:07 pm So is it a valid complain if it’s the writing and the only problem someone had was with her acting?
No, it's a valid complaint if it's the writing and the color of her left eye.

My point was that someone here said they didn't like her on the show, but then said it was because of the way the character is being written. I think that's a valid complaint and not one that sounds based on racism. As opposed to what I see on some internet review sites where they complain that the show is "woke" merely because of her inclusion.

But then again, I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make with your reply. :?
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:09 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:07 pm So is it a valid complain if it’s the writing and the only problem someone had was with her acting?
No, it's a valid complaint if it's the writing and the color of her left eye.

My point was that someone here said they didn't like her on the show, but then said it was because of the way the character is being written. I think that's a valid complaint and not one that sounds based on racism. As opposed to what I see on some internet review sites where they complain that the show is "woke" merely because of her inclusion.

But then again, I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make with your reply. :?

I supposed then that Empire was woke because they had the nerve to have a black man run cloud city. Crazy hollywood liberal elites. Everyone knows the real Lando had to be a straight white male.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I recently got into an argument with an old friend over facebook messenger because I noted that some of the hate I've seen for a show we both like is because there are a lot of jerks out there who hate it simply because they include a black woman as a lead, therefore it's now a part of a culture war for some (read: racism). And even though I prefaced that with "and I'm not talking about you" and I clearly said "some" not "all", he got pissed and yelled at me for saying that any complaint about the show was immediately being discredited by attributing it to racism.

Wake me up when this crap is all over.

Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

My favorite are the people who complain about all the mixed race couples in commercials and cry that it's woke. To me that's just good marketing, they try and hit as large of a target audience as possible with each commercial.
Last edited by Scraper on Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just to be clear: I don't think all complaints should be dismissed as racism. I think there are still numerous valid complaints about this and all other shows...like a character just being poorly written in a viewer's eyes.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Like anything, there are shades of gray. Some people will criticize because of race, some will criticize because of perfectly valid reasons. It's not all or nothing. But in today's political climate, everything seemingly has to be a binary, absolute choice, and everyone's the moral police.

It's irritating and why I largely try to stay out of it. The female Ghostbusters reboot gave me enough of that to last a lifetime.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm sideways on that. I like her character, and I like her. I'm just not sure that she's good fit for that character. She hasn't pulled off the deep pain and cold rage that the character really needs to shine. But the same could be said of any number of character/actor combos on any number of shows, and it's not enough to diminish my enjoyment at all. It's only really noticeable if I really dig into my impressions in response to the discussion.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think we can all agree though that the guy wearing the giant bicycle safety helmet is the real star of the show. He knows that cycling safety is important, but he's still a Sith. It's a fascinating dichotomy.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I assume it’s cultural so it doesn’t yank at my funny bone as much.
Or perhaps due to physiology. Like maybe he’s got a mushroom head.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:09 pm My point was that someone here said they didn't like her on the show, but then said it was because of the way the character is being written.
Well, that's part of our disconnect.
That's not what the quote I had seen had said at all. It said something more along the lines of "rarely does one actor's acting ruin a show the way that hers did." And I can not find that quote at all right now.

I do wonder if others recall the quote you are describing or the one I am.

and also - I realize and agree it's impossible to know what makes a person not like another person (or their acting).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:31 pm I assume it’s cultural so it doesn’t yank at my funny bone as much.
Or perhaps due to physiology. Like maybe he’s got a mushroom head.
A period of deep research and reflection (ie, a quick google search) tells me that it was a discarded Kylo Ren helmet design, and that their spinning lightsabers can be used as helicopters. Go go dark side copter!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's the Safety Sith.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I only wonder if at some point "Ben" is going to snap out of it and remember he is a badass Jedi. Probably not. Or maybe Leia will become a Punky Brewster superhero.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:22 am
Spoiler:
"cowardly" Obi-Wan Kenobi is not something I was expecting, and as a result I think I giggled a bit when he was running from Vader like a teen from an ax-murderer in an 80's movie. I would not have been surprised to see him put his arms in the air, waving them around and screaming "AHHHHHHH!!!!" whilst running.
Perhaps they are trying to deepen the characters a bit from the ones we were just briefly introduced to in the movies, i.e. 'these people are humans, with strengths and weaknesses, not cartoon cutouts.'
I don't read it as "cowardly" so much as PTSD. The character has been through some shit and lost almost everything at this point.

I assume the rest of the journey will be a kind of recovery.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jesus Christ. I’m the one that said that her acting was shit, and I stand by that. I ALSO said that she was very good in Queen’s Gambit, and that it COULD just be bad writing/casting.

The only reason that I qualified the original assertion was bc I suspected someone would throw the racism card. Glad I was wrong!🙄
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Spoiler:
Also consider the fact that all of the bad that happened was through his own apprentice, an apprentice he was warned in advance was going to be problematic. He was utterly convinced in his own master's belief that Anakin was 'the chosen one', and ignored the warnings (and the warning signs) that he was unstable. He can't help but see the end result as his own failure (and, arguably, it partially was.) I can see him turning away from everything associated with that and choosing to live as an isolated hermit.

It also adds context to his reaction upon hearing that Anakin was alive, and upon seeing Vader. It wasn't cowardice, it was being forced to face his own perceived failures and their cost.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:20 pm Jesus Christ. I’m the one that said that her acting was shit, and I stand by that. I ALSO said that she was very good in Queen’s Gambit, and that it COULD just be bad writing/casting.

The only reason that I qualified the original assertion was bc I suspected someone would throw the racism card. Glad I was wrong!🙄
For what it’s worth, your post is not the one that I was recalling.
You immediately mentioned the writing and the character and that you’ve enjoyed this actor. That wasn’t the comment I was speaking to. I honestly think I must have read what I read somewhere else, as I can’t find anything that resembles it here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:20 pm The only reason that I qualified the original assertion was bc I suspected someone would throw the racism card. Glad I was wrong!🙄
I did try to nip that in the bud by pointing out your complaint was perfectly valid earlier…a few times, actually. :wink:

But I still think her acting is perfectly fine in this. I could do without the parkour, of course.

p.s. Could your dislike of the character be because she obviously doesn't take cycling safety as seriously as her coworker? :?
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

If find both her role and acting to be consistent with how Star Wars bad guys have been portrayed since the first movie - stiff and formal, very little subtlety.
Spoiler:
Until this latest episode, that is. :o
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Episode 5:
Spoiler:
- I wonder if Reva might be more popular if she had an Imperial accent. I don't love the character, but it certainly has nothing to do with race. It's very unfortunate but not surprising that so many jerks and racists have latched onto this. Star Wars has become increasingly diverse since the prequels, and especially since the Disney acquisition. I do admit it sometimes feels odd to see people of colour supporting the Empire/New Order when they're often viewed as analogues for historical fascist regimes that were generally white supremacists, but this is science fiction; they're not literally the Nazis. Human races don't need to be a line of division for them, even if they are racist toward alien species. I think the franchise's writers just need to be conscious of unintended implications like, "It's the 'future', we've solved race." Or, "Black people can be Nazis too", etc. But simply incorporating diversity into a global family adventure franchise is probably more important than the questions it raises. Imperial officers don't all need to be old, British white guys just because they were in the original trilogy. And obviously, Reva in particular has a special/hidden reason for being there.

- The de-aging in the Obi-Wan/Anakin flashback is just so bad. It's like they're getting worse at it! I mean, I'm sure it's an accomplishment, but it's so distracting. Christiansen is only 41... he doesn't look that old. Why not just smooth out those wrinkles with some makeup and throw him out there? Not everything needs to be perfect. And was this scene even needed? I get that it lets us into Vader's thoughts/motivations which is nice; this is generally hard to do because the character is tight-lipped and trapped behind a mask. But even though we have to accept that Anakin exists, Vader is just so much more menacing when he's a mysterious spectre.

- "How much time do you need to do the thing?" "Four hours." "You have one!" This trope is exhausting, and I'd love to see it backfire. In real life, some tasks don't have workarounds. Maybe rely on the opinions of the people who actually know how to fix something.

- A child crawling around in the vents? Give me a fucking break.

- So, considering it was Reva's/Vader's plan to have the droid disable the hangar roof, shouldn't they be smart enough to know the rebels are going to try to repair it, and maybe use that as a point of entry into the base (if they couldn't just slice into the main door with a lightsaber)?

- I love Kumail Nanjiani, but he sticks out so bad as "comedian cast in a non-comedy". Or maybe it's just my familiarity with him that's a problem.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

I think her acting is very stiff and bogged down by mostly slow dialog delivery. I think it's intentional and part of her character and totally put that on the writing and directing. I think they are going for her holding in repressed anger and fear, but I just think it's a bit too much and makes her come off a bit wooden. But, the character still works.

I also agree that she was far more engaging in the Queen's Gambit. But of course she wasn't playing a conflicted Sith in that.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

I also will repeat that I thought this week's episode was amazingly awesome. Just fantastic. I am giddy with anticipation for next week.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, as a casual fan I enjoyed this week's episode as well - the pacing, the flashback that tied into to the current story, the action and of course the final confrontation.

I see all the spoiler'd grievances listed, but none of them affected me. Again, could be related to my view of the whole SW universe but none of them impacted my enjoyment.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:00 am I see all the spoiler'd grievances listed, but none of them affected me. Again, could be related to my view of the whole SW universe but none of them impacted my enjoyment.
I guess my list was especially negative this week, but nitpicking is enjoyable to me. Some reactions are superficial, but other gripes I really do believe would improve the quality of the content if heeded.

I enjoyed some of the episode as well, but praising it is less fun and offers no reward. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Sudy on Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:11 am I enjoyed some the episode as well, but praising it is less fun and offers no reward. :mrgreen:
:whistle:
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, I think this episode was by far the strongest of the show, and kind of makes some of the tedium of the prior episodes worth it. Also did a lot to help with the character depth of Reva.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:11 am I enjoyed some of the episode as well, but praising it is less fun and offers no reward. :mrgreen:
:D

It does help generate discussion.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 am If find both her role and acting to be consistent with how Star Wars bad guys have been portrayed since the first movie - stiff and formal, very little subtlety.
I agree that there are quite a few cartoony, one-dimensional over the top villains (General Hux I'm looking at you!). But great, well-acted villains also exist in the SW universe:
Kylo Ren comes to mind. Amazing villain, amazing acting.
Phasma was also good I think, without being crazy over the top.
Count Dooku
Palpatine in his various iterations.
Several others.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:52 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 am If find both her role and acting to be consistent with how Star Wars bad guys have been portrayed since the first movie - stiff and formal, very little subtlety.
I agree that there are quite a few cartoony, one-dimensional over the top villains (General Hux I'm looking at you!). But great, well-acted villains also exist in the SW universe:
Count Dooku
Several others.
I dunno. I was just thinking (in part prompted by this series) that in some ways the Sith are a limitation on the greatness of future Star Wars because they are fairly cartoon-y villains in general ("we want power and to destroy the weak and children!"). Kylo Ren was pretty good (largely because Adam Driver did a great job) but most of the villains are fairly weak - Dooku in particular was something of a missed opportunity, especially since they had Christopher Lee to work with.
Black Lives Matter.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:55 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:52 pm
Count Dooku
Several others.
I dunno. I was just thinking (in part prompted by this series) that in some ways the Sith are a limitation on the greatness of future Star Wars because they are fairly cartoon-y villains in general ("we want power and to destroy the weak and children!"). Kylo Ren was pretty good (largely because Adam Driver did a great job) but most of the villains are fairly weak - Dooku in particular was something of a missed opportunity, especially since they had Christopher Lee to work with.
I agree with you, but if you're going to mention missed opportunities, I think you HAVE to look at Phasma. She was portrayed as the ultimate bad ass, chrome ST armor and everything, but she literally had two scenes, both of which she got her ass whooped in seconds. I mean, if you're going to put someone in armor like that and make her the first known female ST in any Star Wars format, do something with her. She got the Boba Fett treatment SO bad.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I guessed a certain character's "secret" in the first episode. Also, why did:
Spoiler:
The stormtroopers bother blasting the door when Reva could slice it open like butter?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter