[Disney+] Obi-Wan Kenobi

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

[Disney+] Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Daehawk »

First teaser trailer....like almost 20 years since. And Hayden has arm tattoos. He must be in his 40s.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Re: [Disney+] Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Sudy »

Those of you who expected footage of the show... are disappointed.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You lost me at “Hayden”.

Jesus. I guess acting so bad that it’s been mocked and memed for years had no effect. Will the beloved Jar-Jar Binks also be in this? :D
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm not sure it was the acting as much as the dialogue, to be fair.

I do wonder what exactly Hayden is going to do, though. He's not doing the voice, right? If he is that seems...bad. If he's not...what is he doing? Just being the guy in the suit?
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, there's been a really good argument for years that the problem with the prequels wasn't the acting, it was the writing and direction. There were a lot of great actors in those films who delivered horribly cringey performances, but the way the dialog is written prevents a good delivery.
El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:51 am I do wonder what exactly Hayden is going to do, though. He's not doing the voice, right? If he is that seems...bad. If he's not...what is he doing? Just being the guy in the suit?
I'm guessing there will be some helmet-free time involved, perhaps something like that video thumbnail.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It would be interesting to see the character adjust to the suit. I mostly trust the writers if they're like those of The Mandalorian. Anakin wasn't as annoying in The Clone Wars, obviously. (Though also not voiced by Christensen.) It seems the recent "middle years" Vader comics were well received, but I haven't read them personally. So there seems to be room for a tale to be told here. But I think Kenobi having any contact with Vader during this period would be pretty bad for canon.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:04 am But I think Kenobi having any contact with Vader during this period would be pretty bad for canon.
I was just thinking about that. Are there any references to it post-sequel that this would actually interfere with? The only thing I really remember was the "When last we met..." line in Ep IV, and the 'I sense a presence...' comment. No indication that he thought he was dead, and he doesn't know that the kids exist.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Maybe when Vader said he sensed a presence he hadn't felt in a long time, he meant like last Thursday.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lol!

I don't think there's anything that would preclude it from happening... it just flies in the face of fan headcanon. Is it boring if Obi-Wan just hung out on Tatooine for 20 years tending a sand garden and tussling with the occasional Tusken Raider? Sure, but it's also kind of stoically epic, mirroring what we assumed of Yoda's exile. But I'm sure there's a series in development chronicling him tending bar on Coruscant during weeknights or something.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sure Obi can have many adventures on Tatooine but I bet he leaves for short adventures too. He isn't spying on the family with binocs day and night.

I found Hayden to be fine. I agree his writing sucked.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm happy to see the character again, but most of the other stuff looks like what happened in the mediocre novel that came between. I mean, is that Robocop? I was hoping for something more somber and reflective which I do see hints off, but there's also a silly bad guy/henchmen.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Reminds me of a live action Rebels.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This is not the series you are looking for.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:56 am Yeah, there's been a really good argument for years that the problem with the prequels wasn't the acting, it was the writing and direction.
I would agree with that. I've never had the desire to re-watch any of those movies but occasionally we'd catch a scene or two while flipping channels, and the dialogue is just...painful. When the actors are stuck delivering such drivel, there's only so much they can do.

I think the only other movie I've ever seen with Hayden Christensen was Jumper, and he was much better in that.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Looks awesome to me!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Looks awesome.

Live action inquisitors.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

It does look interesting. Not a lot of Obi Wan in the trailer which I think it good (he's even keeping a low profile in his own trailer).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:27 pm Im sure Obi can have many adventures on Tatooine but I bet he leaves for short adventures too. He isn't spying on the family with binocs day and night.
Don't be so sure. It's canonical that Ben Kenobi has a moisture vaporator fetish.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Obi-Wan Kenobi Will Prmeiere With Two Episodes on One Day
Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi episode 1 has been delayed by two days – but we'll now get two episodes to watch when the show launches on Disney+.

Announced in a message from star Ewan McGregor, Episodes 1 and 2 will now be released on Friday, May 27, rather than the original May 25 date.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

While I found Book of Boba Fett to be underwhelming, I'm quite excited for this new Obi Wan series. Today's trailer is... :shock:

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My only reservation is I HATE inquisitors.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This kind of looks like... a sequel to the prequels. And not a prequel to the originals. (As if I didn't know that's what it would be--what's wrong with me?) But it's very colourful and visually interesting.

I guess part of me just wanted to see Obi-Wan moping around for six episodes in the dessert muttering to womp rats. But I get why this is probably thrilling to anyone who's tried to integrate the prequels into their mental canon and/or who has enjoyed the CGI stuff that's followed.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A pre-sequel? No, that was Borderlands. A post-sequel!

Actually, some quick research tells me that the correct term is "Interquel."
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My favorite part of the trailer:
Spoiler:
Obi-Wan: "When the time comes he must be trained!"
Owen: "Like you trained his father?" <drops mic>

Gonna need a bacta bath for that burn.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya and why isn't he too old to train. Anikin was and he was younger than Luke.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:25 pm Ya and why isn't he too old to train. Anikin was and he was younger than Luke.
It's a post-Jedi world. The order got (essentially) wiped out. Not every rule or tradition is likely to be retained.

Especially when the stakes are so high and there are so few other candidates.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Whatever happened to the Rule of Two? Only two Sith? Or are these guys not Sith?
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Just watched the first two episodes. I went in very much spoiler free having only watched the 1st trailer.

Non-spoiler thoughts: It's good! And definitely has a higher budget than Boba Fett did.

Spoiler thoughts:
Spoiler:
  • Boy, this is a hard week to watch a flashback to the attack on the younglings.

Ewan is great and they are very much capturing the essence of Obi Wan as a lost and defeated man.

Little Leia is awesome. I had zero idea that she would even be in this. Totally assumed the plot would be Obi Wan protecting Luke from some threat.

Speaking of Little Leia, "Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers just kidnapped Princess Leia" is not sentence I thought I'd ever write.

Looks like we are not going to spend the whole series on Tatooine (thank god).

Obi Wan is super rusty with the force. I look forward to the Qui Gon Jinn force ghost pep talk followed by a Rocky IV training montage.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Just finished the 2 episodes. The first ep is very good, but it was VERY smart for them to start off with 2 episodes the first week. Ewan is excellent - no surprise there. Excellent so far.

It is quite amusing to me that they have given me even more reason to dislike [redacted]. haha
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm liking it so far. Surprised by the same things others have mentioned. They hit the right tone in terms of the Obi-Wan character. Only thing I'm not really impressed with at this point are the villains. But as usual with the SW shows, I'm enjoying the ride. Won't get too hung up on continuity details that others are sure to point out soon.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I have to say, that
Spoiler:
”chase scene”
in the first episode was one of the lamest things I’ve seen in a long time. And I almost can’t believe that
Spoiler:
the actress that plays Leia is 9 years old. I thought she was five until I looked her up.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:14 pm I have to say, that
Spoiler:
”chase scene”
in the first episode was one of the lamest things I’ve seen in a long time. And I almost can’t believe that
Spoiler:
the actress that plays Leia is 9 years old. I thought she was five until I looked her up.
LOL Ethan and I were cracking up. I yelled,
Spoiler:
SHES FREAKING 5 YEARS OLD!!!!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've only watched the first episode and I'm torn. Every time clips from the prequels are shown I'm pushed away. Unfortunately I just have no (or very few) good memories of them. They just weren't good. The recent trend toward nostalgic rehabilitation is just wrong. But when this episode did it's own thing I found it pretty engrossing. It's obvious it's written by people who have integrated the entirety of the narrative but aren't bound by it. This may not be a story I needed or wanted to know, but I love battered characters and McGregor is so good.
Spoiler:
The score is lovely and meditative, but it feels off in places and not Star Warsy. Especially in the recap and the Alderaan portions. Love the credits though.

I just don't need to know the story of young Leia. It looks like it's going to be a major plot point, but it feels like filler. I know it's been said many times, but every single blank between Episode One and Nine doesn't need to be filled on screen. If you want to do Obi-Wan's lost years, fine. But fill it with interesting stuff that has little to do with main storylines.

Anyway there's nothing egregious here (so far). The inquisitors (who I know little about from other media) are mercifully less cartoony than I was expecting. I'm looking forward to watching more.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As I mentioned in the Star Wars celebration thread, there seems to be this thin layer of Disney cheese they slap on these shows. It's a combination of TV budget, extras that look like they stepped out of a theme park show, corny celebrity cameos from "stars" who just wanted to be in a Star Wars project, and PARKOUR!

All that said, I'm enjoying the show when I'm able to turn off my mind enough to stop cringing at the cheese factor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I found the setting of the second episode to be wondrous and interesting, but also feel somewhat flat and generic. I think it's the overwhelming use of CGI combined with practical sets, especially the lighting. On one hand I found myself thinking something like this is all we ever wanted from the prequels. On the other, is this even Star Wars?
Spoiler:
I like Kumail Nanjiani but he sure doesn't blend in with an established universe. I feel like maybe he could have if they'd asked him to, rather than the role mostly being played for laughs.

The narrative and setting of the second episode felt a lot like a video game to me. That's not necessarily an insult, but the set pieces and action seemed to run the narrative rather than vice versa.

At the end of the rooftop chase scene it seemed like the bad guys just gave up and disappeared? I know one got shot, but I guess Nanjiani got the other(s)? Because it seemed like Kenobi all of a sudden had all the time in the world to deal with falling Leia. Which was also a too obvious way to get him to use his powers again. But I'm probably being too hard on the writing.

Little Leia is a little too precocious for 9 or 10. This was lampshaded by Kenobi's comment and it was kind of silly.

I'm sad the spooky Inquisitor is dead. He might have been a cartoon but he was really good.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Just watched the first episode, and I thought it was good.

The Inquisitor baddies, while very "extended universe," did feel like Star Wars to me. I like that they have disputes among themselves.

Ewan McGregor is always excellent. Besides his sheer acting talent, I think the key to his performance is that he's doing everything to honor the legacy of the great Sir Alec.

And while I knew I recognized him, I had no idea until the end that that was Flea!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just watched episode two.
Spoiler:
Overacting aside, the dynamic among the inquisitors is interesting and cool. Watching a little kid run around the Blade Runner set was a bit less so.

Grifter "Jedi" Kumail Nanjiani was fun.
The series reminds me of how Star Wars can never seem to make up its mind about the Dark and Light sides of the Force. Recent material has offered some suggestion that "balance" is the key, but almost every time we see the Dark side it's presented as Pure Evil in the Service of Mordor.

(I'm sure there's an 80,000-word Wookipedia article that will set me straight.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I could watch McGregor doing his Alec Guinness impression for an entire movie. He’s just so damn good at it.

So far I’m enjoying Augie 'Ben' Doggie.

And Fifth Brother’s comically oversized bike helmet never fails to make me laugh.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:15 pm And Fifth Brother’s comically oversized bike helmet never fails to make me laugh.
As is now the case with everything Star Wars, he has a canonical backstory (as you probably already knew).

I guess if I were generic Storm Trooper CT-267 on the original Death Star, I could go to my demise confident that someone somewhere would eventually write fan fiction about me.