[Mechwarrior 5] Joining the party late...

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: [Mechwarrior 5] Joining the party late...

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, expanded leopard seriously mods the ship's interior... for cosmetic purposes. I think I have a different version of that, where they parked a bunch of vehicles along the central corridor so it doesn't look so f***ing empty, but did not expand the interior.

I have RTX, but after a couple missions I turned OFF all the eye candy and went for maximum frames per second instead.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, that's it for MW5. Steam says I played 420.4 hours total. That's one campaign and two careers, so three playthroughs.

The final video uploads are getting uploaded now, and looks like there will be 52 episodes. Generally each will concentrate on 1 quest, but some of the early ones may have more than one quest included.

Apparently people do watch playthroughs, as my original MW5 videos (of which there are like 100 of them) are getting practically no views, but these, with proper keywords in the title, are getting 5-10 views each. :D But then NGNG, BTT, and Baradul have established audiences that gave their videos THOUSANDS of views each. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've thought about uploading that way, but two things hold me back. First, a 60-minute video takes about ten hours to upload. Second, if I know I'm recording for other people to see, I play like I'm being watched. That changes how I play, and not always in a way I enjoy.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The rumor of MW5's death has been exaggerated... Turns out there will be a DLC3, and it will at the minimum, feature a Hatchetman.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:53 am The rumor of MW5's death has been exaggerated... Turns out there will be a DLC3, and it will at the minimum, feature a Hatchetman.
No, don't tell me that! I just got over it and finished my 3rd group's playthrough!

DAMMIT!
Enlarge Image
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Also, a sword-wielding Highlander for some reason? Swords don't show up until like 3060 or so, which means either something really screwy is going on, or we're going to get some clan action too.

twitter
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:30 pm Also, a sword-wielding Highlander for some reason? Swords don't show up until like 3060 or so, which means either something really screwy is going on, or we're going to get some clan action too.

twitter
Why did swords take so long to make it to the battle field? I find that so bizarre that no one thought to pick up an object and use it as a weapon instead of slamming a hand or a foot (which contain actuators) into another highly-armored robot before a decade post-clan invasion.... Like, didn't someone even pick up an enemy's severed arm and thwack them with their own appendage?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Hyena wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:13 pm Why did swords take so long to make it to the battle field? I find that so bizarre that no one thought to pick up an object and use it as a weapon instead of slamming a hand or a foot (which contain actuators) into another highly-armored robot before a decade post-clan invasion.... Like, didn't someone even pick up an enemy's severed arm and thwack them with their own appendage?
Oh, ad-hoc clubs (mech arms/legs, random trees, building girders) have been around for as long as mechs with hands have been around.

But we're talking about a group of people who, collectively, took until 3028 to invent a mech-sized hatchet.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:snooty:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:22 pm:snooty:
Of course, if you listen to Tex Talk Mechs, Marauder's fat PPC arms are perfectly capable of bashing mechs... And they've been built since 2612...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As much as it made me grumble, I still have fond memories of this. One of these days I plan on going back in to play the non-story campaign, and with a different mindset as to what kind of game it is. In the meantime...

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Sorry, but I RARELY melee in MW5. I don't see the appeal for it, to warrant paying 15 bucks for two dozen new mechs and maybe what? 3-4 new mission chain to use them? Don't feel the need at all.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I watch Sam Witwer stream on Twitch and tonight he is playing MW5. In chat is Piranha Games randomly giving out steam codes for the game free ...first come basis.

EDIT: I think someone is botting those codes away as I copied a key and pasted and hit enter in about 2 seconds and it was already a duplicate key...so someone is damn faster than even me
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, it's been a few years, but they're still putting out new DLC. Having fought in basically every major war from 3015 to 3040, the next step is... Solaris VII.

You know what, I'm cool with it. They even got the guy who played Duncan Fisher in MW4: Mercs to reprise his role.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Shit. I totally forgot I owned Mechwarrior 5. I never played it. Dammit.

I loved MW4. I played it through 3 times at least. It was my go to for whenever someone mentions Mechwarrior. It was perfect. I played MWO a lot years ago. A LOT. Have some nice mechs from the old days. I still have my founders Hunchback. I remember having a free mech I made into a dakka dakka machine.

But I haven't played in many years now at all. I got to be too skittish to try to play with everyone else being so hard core and good at the game. Felt Id ruin the fun for everyone.

Might be time to dust off the old mechs and see whats what in there now days.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

MW5 is pretty good out of the box (especially with the DLC adding more focused story content), but you'll also want some mods to go with it. The minimum ones I consider:

Wasp and Stinger (otherwise the only 20-ton mechs you'll see is Locusts and the occasional Flea)
PGI Infantry (enables infantry on PC; they're not that big a threat but it's fun to fry/stomp them occasionally)
TT Rulez AI mod (v2, for slightly smarter lancemates)
Xenopax Art Optimization
Xenopax Optimization (these two improve performance quite a bit at the cost of some hard drive space)

There's also VonBiomes, which introduces a substantial number of different environments for you to stomp around in; and Coyote's Mission Pack, which introduces a bunch of new procedurally generated contract types and exploration bits. Last time I checked, the two were incompatible for whatever reason, so you'll have to pick one or the other unless something's changed. You don't really need either of them for your first playthrough, though.

But yeah, MW5 is a lot of fun, and actually a pretty chill game. You can pick the contract difficulty by hanging out in easier zones if you're having a tough time, and there's no real time limit, except for some of the time-gated DLC mission chains, which are entirely optional. And coop is pretty easy to set up too.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Where do you get those mods?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:43 pm Where do you get those mods?
From Google.

It took me less than 15 seconds total to find all of them. Please make an effort to find things yourself before asking other people to do it for you. It'll make people much more willing to help you on the things that aren't as easy as highlighting the text and dragging it to the tab bar.

Or, as Aesop said,
As a Wagoner was driving his wain through a miry lane, the wheels stuck fast in the clay, and the Horses could get on no further. The Man dropped on his knees, and began crying and praying to Hercules with all his might to come and help him. “Lazy fellow!” said Hercules, “get up and stir yourself. Whip your Horses stoutly, and put your shoulder to the wheel. If you want my help after you've tried and failed, then you shall have it.”
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What? I dont even have it installed. I was curious if the mods came from one mod site or something. Whats this post about eh?

EDIT: Also found this one. Cant find a comparison to original sound.
MW5 Realism Audio Project V2.5

Seems theres LOTs of mods for this game. Surprised me.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Don't mind BH - he's just an idealist. :wink:

It is a reasonable question in that some games have most or all of their mods in the Steam Community "Workshop", whereas other games may require you to hunt them down, or get them on Nexus, etc.

In this case - a few of those listed mods are on the Steam Workshop. Others, you gotta find and install.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:55 am Don't mind BH - he's just an idealist. :wink:

It is a reasonable question in that some games have most or all of their mods in the Steam Community "Workshop", whereas other games may require you to hunt them down, or get them on Nexus, etc.

In this case - a few of those listed mods are on the Steam Workshop. Others, you gotta find and install.
Patterns of behavior. There are few questions that aren't worth at least a cursory search before expecting other people to do the work for you.

It took under 20 seconds to determine that every one of those mods was on Nexus.