Crew member fatally shot on set of Alec Baldwin movie

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Crew member fatally shot on set of Alec Baldwin movie

Post by McNutt »

Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun that killed a crew member.

Wow, this is terrible. I'm not sure how this happens on a set. Did the safety measures fail?

Edit - I changed the title. I didn't feel good about the way it seemed to place blame on Baldwin.
Last edited by McNutt on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Alec Baldwin accidentally kills film crew member

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McNutt wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 am Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun that killed a crew member.

Wow, this is terrible. I'm not sure how this happens on a set. Did the safety measures fail?
Whoever is in charge of the prop guns fucked up. There is no way that should happen if procedures are followed.

The other option is that Baldwin took the gun and used in a way it wasn't meant to be used or he wasn't supposed to handle it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The fact that two people were apparently shot really makes me wonder about the details.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Especially since they were the director and DoP.

I can see accidentally shooting an actor during a scene but there's no reason why one would be pointing a gun at the director and DP.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:42 amThe other option is that Baldwin took the gun and used in a way it wasn't meant to be used or he wasn't supposed to handle it.
This is my line of thought as it's one of the only things that makes sense.
Last edited by Brian on Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Unless he was firing at the camera. James Bond does that all the time.

Also, two people could have been hit by the same projectile. Just yesterday two cops were shot (by another cop) in the Chicago suburbs when one of them accidentally fired his gun.
Brian

Post by Brian »

That's pretty much the only other possibility.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Maybe a shotgun?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Brian wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:56 am That's pretty much the only other possibility.
There's also the possibility of trip-and-fall or even the director grabbing Baldwin's hand to show him something about stance, etc.

But it's Alec Baldwin, so it's definitely possible to believe that sloppy arrogance was involved.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It was one shot, went through the DP and then hit the director according to what I read.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I do not understand how live ammo makes it on to the set of a film in any capacity.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Not only that, the article I read was talking about how even the prop guns are never pointed directly at another person - that's all camera angles and editing tricks when it hits the screen.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Doesn't have to be live ammo. On the Crow set it was dummy bullet jammed in the barrel. That said if it went through one person and hit another it's likely a live round. As Smoove will likely know we had an incident in the area in 2006 at Wild West City where they reenact gun fights. In that case it 100% WAS live ammo and they guy shot ended up living, but is in a wheelchair. I actually just looked it up and there's a lot of rumors that it was actually intentional, but never proven.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:03 am I do not understand how live ammo makes it on to the set of a film in any capacity.
This.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:42 am
McNutt wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 am Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun that killed a crew member.

Whoever is in charge of the prop guns fucked up. There is no way that should happen if procedures are followed.

The other option is that Baldwin took the gun and used in a way it wasn't meant to be used or he wasn't supposed to handle it.
I recall that Jon-Erik Hexum, one of the stars of the old 80's time travel show Voyagers, accidentally killed himself with a blank. Apparently he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger as a joke.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I was in the army we were having a training exercise that was an ambush. We were using blanks. One guy surprised a bunch of ambushers and got shot is the face by one of them from just a few feet away. His face was sore and blistered for weeks afterwards.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Re: Crew member fatally shot on set of Alec Baldwin movie

Post by Blackhawk »

Never underestimate the pressure of a cartridge going off. I had a revolver go off once with my hand wrapped around the front of the cylinder. I couldn't feel two of my fingers for several days, and that's just the cylinder, which is relatively well sealed.

A round of ammunition isn't a magic flying metal projector, it's a grenade with only one piece of shrapnel.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I recall that Jon-Erik Hexum, one of the stars of the old 80's time travel show Voyagers, accidentally killed himself with a blank. Apparently he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger as a joke.
I still remember that to this day and think of it anytime theres a gun accident on set. I loved Voyagers.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:20 am
I still remember that to this day and think of it anytime theres a gun accident on set. I loved Voyagers.
I was in sixth grade when that happened, it one of the girls in my class was hit really, really hard by it - apparently she was a huge fan. Apparently the teacher suggested that she write up a paper about it and present it to the class as a way to address her own feelings about the event*. That was how I learned it had happened.

*Unusual projects like that weren't uncommon, and were surprisingly effective. Another pair of girls did a similar project after they had an encounter with a flasher. But it was the 'advanced placement' class for the region. Being that sort of class, of course, it was smaller, and the kids were closer. I'm still in touch with a number of them to this day, and could name 3/4 of them, while I couldn't name a single kid from any of my other elementary school classes, save for two or three friends. The teacher's approach wouldn't have worked in any other situation.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Octavious wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:09 am As Smoove will likely know we had an incident in the area in 2006 at Wild West City where they reenact gun fights. In that case it 100% WAS live ammo and they guy shot ended up living, but is in a wheelchair. I actually just looked it up and there's a lot of rumors that it was actually intentional, but never proven.
Yeah, as soon as I saw this headline, the local incident is the first thing I'd thought of, which is crazy as prior I'd always think of Brandon Lee.
malchior

Post by malchior »

A few hours is apparently the appropriate time to start making dumb jokes about this.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

A reminder of just how dangerous just the expelled gasses from a firearm are: a revolver can blow your finger apart just from the side-expelled discharge. You really only need the first 5 seconds of the video to get it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

malchior wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:36 am A few hours is apparently the appropriate time to start making dumb jokes about this.

That's really in bad taste.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

More info:
Now, new updates to the incident include the fact that a live bullet had somehow been inside the prop gun discharged by Baldwin. As reported by IndieWire, IATSE Local 44, which covers prop masters, sent out an email to its members announcing that the prop gun used in the scene being filmed contained a “live round.” Additionally, the union noted that the production’s prop master was not a member of Local 44.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That's really unfortunate. A lot of folks are going to have some really tough days. I wonder if it'll be linked to or IATSE strike adjacent.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, we are still waiting to hear any justification for there being a live round in the gun, is that right?
I mean, that seems criminal to me. Sneaking a live round into the scene ?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:57 am So, we are still waiting to hear any justification for there being a live round in the gun, is that right?
It seems more likely it'd be criminal *negligence* -- on the prop master's part -- but the world is a strange place.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Baldwin will never be the same after this. I can't even imagine the amount of guilt he's going to carry around for the rest of his life.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:44 am More info:
Now, new updates to the incident include the fact that a live bullet had somehow been inside the prop gun discharged by Baldwin. As reported by IndieWire, IATSE Local 44, which covers prop masters, sent out an email to its members announcing that the prop gun used in the scene being filmed contained a “live round.” Additionally, the union noted that the production’s prop master was not a member of Local 44.
Reminds me of Brandon Lee. :cry:
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Can you imagine being the one who pulled the trigger? Do you think you could ever act in any production that requires you to shoot a gun again? Jesus.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:57 am So, we are still waiting to hear any justification for there being a live round in the gun, is that right?
Probably had to go to a lot of effort to do so, too. The movie is set in the 1880s so it was either a revolver or rifle.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:59 am
It seems more likely it'd be criminal *negligence* -- on the prop master's part -- but the world is a strange place.
But I can't honestly understand why there would ever be a reason to have a live round in a 'prop' (functional) gun at all... That's like replacing a fake prop syringe with a real one, with real poison in it... That would be acting in a way that one knew would have grave consequences. I mean, how the hell can they pretend to be taking any safety precautions if they even have a real gun... let alone the round... quite frankly. I mean how hard could it be for the prop world to have guns that are incapable of firing a projectile?

bleh, such a preventable accident.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This all brings me back to my original question - how did live ammo end up on the set and inside a prop gun?

I've never worked as a prop master, so I'm just guessing here, but I'd think there are two scenarios for acquiring blanks.

First, you're purchasing them from a licensed/certified/approved dealer that provides documentation that all rounds are blanks and that there would be some visible indication on the rounds that they are. I'd still expect the prop master to be inspecting them prior to use and signing off on a verification that they were indeed blanks.

The second is that the prop master is certified/licensed in some way to create their own blanks for use on the set. Here again, they'd be documenting they did and that prior to the shoot they're certifying blank rounds were provided to the set.

Assuming my guess is correct, I just don't understand how it happened other than negligence.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

How would you certify that a round is a blank, other than shooting it?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Or, someone looking to set up Alec Baldwin.
Damnit, there I go again.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
malchior

Post by malchior »

stimpy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:27 pm How would you certify that a round is a blank, other than shooting it?
If you unwrap an unopened new green box of Remington's and there is a live round then there is a big problem somewhere.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:23 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:59 am
But I can't honestly understand why there would ever be a reason to have a live round in a 'prop' (functional) gun at all... That's like replacing a fake prop syringe with a real one, with real poison in it... That would be acting in a way that one knew would have grave consequences. I mean, how the hell can they pretend to be taking any safety precautions if they even have a real gun... let alone the round... quite frankly. I mean how hard could it be for the prop world to have guns that are incapable of firing a projectile?

There are prop guns that cannot fire a projectile. I'm guessing it is dictated the nature of the shot (film shot) whether they use them or not. Possibly the budget of the production too?

There should never be a live round on set and prop guns should be segregated and never used to fire live rounds. The prop master should inspect the prop gun every time it changes hands or leaves their sight. Any time a scene calls for a trigger pull, the prop master should check the load. And the 3 rules of gun safety should be observed at all times except when a scene calls for otherwise (and prop master has done the aforementioned load check).

There are definitely procedures in place, this is a case of someone fucking up. Or as mentioned upthread, possibly intentionally causing this.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stimpy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:27 pm How would you certify that a round is a blank, other than shooting it?
By looking at it. Lack of a bullet is a pretty good indicator.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:23 pmI mean how hard could it be for the prop world to have guns that are incapable of firing a projectile?
It is pretty much mechanically impossible and probably introduces other safety risks. The only 100% safe way to do it if fully simulate firing a firearm.
Somewhere someone made a mistake. That's about all we know.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:31 pmThere are prop guns that cannot fire a projectile. I'm guessing it is dictated the nature of the shot (film shot) whether they use them or not. Possibly the budget of the production too?
I assume you mean no blanks involved, right?