Metroid Dread - 10/08/21

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

JCC

Re: Metroid Dread - 10/08/21

Post by JCC »

I have a Metroid Dread addiction. Abandoned my attempt to finish Skyward Sword. (Gamepad controls are better but still goofy/unfun.) Now doing a 3rd playthrough of Dread. Just love it. Have no interest in Hard difficulty (for now) but just can't get tired of playing/replaying it. Did the sequence break to get grapple/bombs early which allows you to beat Kraid easily. So fun once I finally made the tough 2 jumps required to do the break.

Probably my favorite game since Dishonored 2. I hope the dopes at Nintendo don't make us wait another 19 years for a new 2D Metroid game. (or Metroid Prime 4 for that matter...)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome. I've taken a break but do intend to get back to it.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Finished another 100% playthrough on normal. So fun.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

Hi, I am "JCC" and I have a Metroid Dread addiction.

I just finished my 6th playthough, my first on Expert. Expert was tough. I beat both Escue and the Experiment by using Shinesparks. Based on how tough Raven Beak was, I would have had a tough time beating both of them without the shinesparks. The last time I played ANY game on the hardest difficulty would have been my last playthroughs of Thief 1/2.

Trying to get myself interested in some other Metroidvania to try to pry myself loose from Dread. Suffice it to say I love the game to pieces. So much fun. It cracks me up that even on the 6th time through, I can't remember where some of the hidden items are. LOL
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice work!
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, I have now lost track of my Metroid Dead playthroughs. I am currently trying to unlock all of the gallery items - which means I am trying to finish a Normal and Hard playthrough under 4 hours. I thought I had probably done it today in Normal - but alas 4:06... Not sure how much more I can speed that time up without doing some crazy speed runner tricks that take the fun out of it for me.

Needless to day this is my GOTY and Game of the Decade (granted it's early). Just don't seem to get tired of it.
Black Lives Matter

Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Am I the only one who hates this game along with Samus Returns? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. The EMMI sequences are repetitive and dull. They're not tense, they're just frustrating. For Metroidvania, it's very clear the path you're intended to take, so there's very little exploration, just a linear path that winds through the game itself. The spear boss is overused. Am I crazy? I feel like I'm missing something here.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Eel Snave wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:30 pm Am I the only one who hates this game along with Samus Returns? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. The EMMI sequences are repetitive and dull. They're not tense, they're just frustrating. For Metroidvania, it's very clear the path you're intended to take, so there's very little exploration, just a linear path that winds through the game itself. The spear boss is overused. Am I crazy? I feel like I'm missing something here.
You are not crazy and you forgot to mention the unskippable cut scenes. Have trouble with a boss? Get ready to see the same 15s until its burned into your brain. The game is so anti-player that it's mind boggling. I see it a case study in everything wrong with the genre. If I had to say one nice thing about it, it's that it really makes me appreciate all the improvements games have made over time.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The cutscenes are skippable.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:18 pm The cutscenes are skippable.
+ followed by - according to google. I got it for christmas but haven't played yet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

As noted, cut scenes are skippable.

I have a love/hate thing with the EMMI sequences. I think it might have been better if they just had them take half of your health or something when they catch you. The insta-death mechanic is very frustrating for sure. Or, they could just give you a tell for the parry - even if it was still extremely difficult - since it's total blind luck as is.

I finished a Hard playthrough in under 4 hours today so have all of the gallery stuff unlocked. Just love this game. I think at this point, the 2 hardest fights for me are the first and last Mawkin/Robot fights. I am amazed at people finishing in less than 90 minutes. I have to fight Kraid (normally) without bombs and do the Screw Attack before Space Jump sequence break to get my time down to under 4 hours.

As I keep saying, I adore the game. My favorite game since Dishonored 2. I think I might do one more 100% playthrough on Hard before moving on since I did miss getting all items on my 2 under 4 hours playthroughs.

#totallyAddicted

Really hope Metroid Prime 4 is a winner (and actually comes out for the Switch).
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Agree with JCC's EMMI take (and his MP4 hope).
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I absolutely HATE the mechanic where you have to shoot the EMMIs in the face a bunch until the helmet breaks. I think I got to another EMMI sequence and just packed it in, never looked back. And this is from someone who 100%d Metroid 2 back in the day!
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Odd. That's the easiest and most satisfying part of all of the EMMI sequences. It's usually pretty simple to find a long hallway to do it in. And early on you don't even need a very long hallway. I know for example in Cataris you can literally step outside the Central Unit Room and shoot the EMMI right there. You have a somewhat small margin for error, but it's not very difficult. And, if it is, it's not hard to get to a longer hallway. Every now and then I screw up an EMMI execution, but the penalty for failure is just waiting a few seconds for a reload and trying again. That never caused much frustration for me.

My frustration with the EMMI is when it's always right in the path you have to go to get to the next section. If you fail the parry then it's just a lot of retries until either you pull off the parry or the bastard isn't in your way. THAT I agree can pretty irritating.

I think the EMMI mechanic is the most controversial addition for sure, but it is always so satisfying once you put them down.
Black Lives Matter

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I'm about 9 hours into my first run and at this point I've collected all of the suit powers and the only thing I have left is to travel to the final area (Which I assume is just an area with Raven Beak). I'm debating going back to each zone and collecting all of the powerups. I think my missiles are currently around 175 and my power bombs are at 8. My energy is up there too but I'm not sure how much of that I have. Is there a better ending by getting 100% in each area or should I just finish the game as is?
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The ending content does change a bit at 100%, yes. You can backtrack from a save to do so, though, so no need to wait.
JCC

Post by JCC »

You can get exactly 100 more missiles than you have now. Not that you need them to beat the final boss. You get plenty of drops during said fight.

And yes, getting 100% items nets you end game "rewards". As does finishing under (I think) 8 hours and 4 hours on both difficulty levels.

There are some rumors of "free DLC" possibly coming. That would be awesome.
Black Lives Matter

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I decided to get 100% prior to finishing it. At this point I have every area done except for Ferenia and the area right above it. The hardest part about getting 100% are the damn speed puzzles. Some of them are a real PITA. I had one take me about 40 minutes to perfect. I think if I were still in my 20s they would be easier, but my quick reaction skills are getting noticeably worse at my age.
Last edited by Scraper on Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was excited for this game. I love metroidvanias. I finally got it for christmas. It turns out I still hate the switch. I think the rest goes in the switch thread, not the dread thread.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:24 am I was excited for this game. I love metroidvanias. I finally got it for christmas. It turns out I still hate the switch. I think the rest goes in the switch thread, not the dread thread.
Dread is so good, give it at least 2 hours to try and get used to the controls. The Pro controller certainly helps. Heck even if you're playing portable, just prop the system up and still use the Pro.
FTE
JCC

Post by JCC »

Scraper wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:14 am I decided to get 100% prior to finishing it. At this point I have every area done except for Ferenia and the area right above it. The hardest part about getting 100% are the damn speed puzzles. Some of them are a real PITA. I had one take me about 40 minutes to perfect. I think if I were still in my 20s they would be easier, but my quick reaction skills are getting noticeably worse at my age.
I was 100% where you are my first playthrough. Since I have since played this game ... ahem... more than a few times, I am much better at the speed/shinespark puzzles now. Though even now, a few often take me a few tries to get. On my first playthrough getting 100% of items seemed like a pipe dream. Since, I have done it multiple times, but can't quite get my total play time under 4 hours doing so. (Speed runners are amazing at playing this game!)
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:24 am I was excited for this game. I love metroidvanias. I finally got it for christmas. It turns out I still hate the switch. I think the rest goes in the switch thread, not the dread thread.
Yeah play it on the Pro controller if possible. That controller is awesome (well except it reversing A/B, X/Y from MS controllers). I am sure I could play this with the joycons, but it would be uncomfortable.
Black Lives Matter

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finished the game yesterday at 100%. The final boss was easy once you get his pattern down.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I really wish they would release a Metroid Collection of the GBA, DS and 3DS games like Konami did with Castlevania. I would love to go back and play those ones on the Switch.
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Scraper wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:33 am I really wish they would release a Metroid Collection of the GBA, DS and 3DS games like Konami did with Castlevania. I would love to go back and play those ones on the Switch.
Considering I missed all of those...

JCC

Post by JCC »

I wish they would release a "2D" (Zero Mission, Samus Returns, Super Metroid, Fusion) collection with all of them running in the Dread engine. That would be awesome.
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In which Retro nukes any hope of MP4 coming anytime soon:

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:21 am In which Retro nukes any hope of MP4 coming anytime soon:

At this rate I hope they're making it for whatever comes after the Switch. Even just by current Cell Phone standards Nintendo's Switch 2 could be much more powerful than the current model.
FTE
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, in the Nintendo Direct they announced a new one hit death mode (no thanks) and an Easy mode (doubt I will use it but I approve).

Was hoping they might do some proper DLC (ie. a new area or something though I can see that may be tough to integrate...) but I guess that's unlikely.

I still can't seem to stop doing a playthrough of this nearly every week. Definitely my favorite game in a long long time.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

I haven't really cared about the (free) DLC Nintendo has dropped so far for this game. However, today they added something cool: Boss Rush Mode. You basically get to play through (or practice) all the bosses in the game. I think you may have had to win the game to access this, but I am not sure. Anyway, you are trying to get through all the bosses as quickly as possible. If you die, your time spent failing accumulates, plus a 15 second penalty is added. But, you keep retrying on the current boss. I just played through it (with about 11 deaths - most on the first Chozo robot and Escue and one on the Experiment) and my (game) time ended up being a little over 30 minutes. Pretty fun, if you just like playing the bosses. Finishing it unlocks some other variants.

Link
Black Lives Matter