Jagged Alliance 3 (again!)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

Jagged Alliance 3 (again!)

Post by Grifman »

I think there have been a number of attempts to revitalize the franchise but from the looks of this video, maybe this time it can be pulled off? Only time will tell though.

https://www.pcgamer.com/jagged-alliance ... -not-suck/
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Sudy

Re: Jagged Alliance 3 (again!)

Post by Sudy »

Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm too cynical to be excited, but I'll be watching.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just remembered I purchased the last JA game and promptly never played it. Here's hoping...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Sure, I’ll be optimistic! And wait for reviews after it’s released.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just. Remaster. The. Original.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:52 pm Just. Remaster. The. Original.
I actually never played the original (true story), but if they did a remaster of JA2, maybe I could die a happy man.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 pm
I actually never played the original (true story), but if they did a remaster of JA2, maybe I could die a happy man.
*cough*

Actually, neither have I. I meant 2. :oops:

I'd settle for a simple remaster, but I'd love for them to just keep the audio and all of the mechanics and stats, but import them into a new engine.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 pm
You can pick up the original for free for the next few days, if you're feeling olde school.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I saw it - thanks. I've tried so many times to go back and play JA2 with various mods and tweaks and it just never works for me. The memory is better than the actual replay experience. That's why a remaster would be so very nice.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:42 pm Yeah, I saw it - thanks. I've tried so many times to go back and play JA2 with various mods and tweaks and it just never works for me. The memory is better than the actual replay experience. That's why a remaster would be so very nice.
But a remaster wouldn't change the core game play experience, only a remake would.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That probably wasn't clear. I don't mind the mechanics and game play. Trying to deal with a wonky UI or resolution scaling on a modern monitor? No thanks.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm amused we debate remakes vs. remasters vs. reboots in almost every thread now. :lol:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If old folks can't quibble over minor details, what do we have left here? :wink:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sudy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:40 pm I'm amused we debate remakes vs. remasters vs. reboots in almost every thread now. :lol:
Remasters and remakes seem to be all the rage these days, that's probably why. Someone on here somewhere posted a "leaked" list of upcoming titles for release. A HUGE number were remakes and remasters. Seems to be trending for whatever reason.

And by the power vested in me by Clem H. Fandango, YES, we need a remaster of JA2! WAY past time IMO. I also have tried every fan mod and official and unofficial patch under the sun...it's just tooooo old, even with all the tweaks (and this is someone who played through all of Fallout 1 AND 2 not too long ago, so my tolerance for 90's interfaces is pretty damn high).

In fact, in my most recent attempt to actually get through a seriously modded JA2 (using Straciatella), I started and re-started that game at least a dozen times. Completed the initial (BORING and TEDIOUS AS HELL) town probably 8 times back to back. :P
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It tends to happen whenever a new console generation hits, although this time it's going to brand new extremes. Possibly because they're drawing off of several previous generations at once.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sudy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:40 pm I'm amused we debate remakes vs. remasters vs. reboots in almost every thread now. :lol:
I'd rather that they produce new content instead. Prettier graphics don't make it a new game, at least for me.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:32 pm That probably wasn't clear. I don't mind the mechanics and game play. Trying to deal with a wonky UI or resolution scaling on a modern monitor? No thanks.
Ah, ok, understood!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I forgot there is a proper Jagged Alliance 3 thread...

Jagged Alliance 3's new trailer shows a few seconds of the only feature I care about
I'm not hot on Jagged Alliance, but there's a lot to like in the trailer above. It's neat that you can spend AP points to increase the accuracy of your shots; I like the sound of an enemy "mishap chance", because mishaps are always fun; and there generally seems to be a lot of granularity, from how you pose your mercenaries (stand, crouch, prone), to what body parts they target, to what type of shot they're taking (single, burst, auto, etc.).

Sadly, the trailer shows the most appealing part for only a few seconds near the end. The best stories about classic Jagged Alliance normally involve its dynamic campaign map, which provides the context for the individual turn-based skirmishes you lead. That feature has been absent or poor in some of the lesser, modern Jagged Alliance games, but it's seemingly returning here.

The other thing giving me hope is that JA3 is being developed by Haemimont Games, the makers of Surviving Mars and several Tropico games. I wouldn't say that Haemimont have made any classics, but I do think they've typically punched above their budget. Their recent track record is certainly better than the Jagged Alliance series. Chris Bratt reviewed Jagged Alliance: Rage for us back in 2018 and found it mostly a chore.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Really boosted about this one, hope they aiming for the holidays this year. If they just retain the core mechanics of JA2 with a Wasteland 2/3 graphics upgrade I would be satisfied but it appears they are also trying to implement some type of co-op campaign mode.
Holman

Post by Holman »

So it's JA in the mode of XCOM2?

I might be able to get behind that.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I’m excited about this. One thing they decided to do that isn’t XCOM 2 is remove the percentage to hit. Instead, when you aim the merc will make a comment if the shot is horrible or great. The devs pointed out this allowed players to stop playing it safe and really opened up the gameplay instead of waiting to only shoot if the shot is 85% or greater. Pretty interesting.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As long as it isn't a puzzle game like XCOM 2.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Make it come out now. I'm bored.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The mission is clear: don't f*** it up!

When developing a successor to a legendary franchise like Jagged Alliance, it's a tightrope walk to make sure the game feels familiar to those who loved both, Jagged Alliance 1 & Jagged Alliance 2 but also brings new improvements to the table.

Read more in our second Dev Diary: https://thqn.net/ja3-dd02

For us, it's very important to create a spiritual successor to Jagged Alliance 2, because Ian Currie and Haemimont Games are not only working on a new game, but an established franchise many players all around the globe - and everyone on the team - love for close to 30 years now.

Time to meet the creators of Jagged Alliance 3 and see what they're up to!

Jagged Alliance 3 is coming to PC.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Cool, I had no idea that Ian Currie was involved in any way.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Nice video, cool that Ian Currie is involved. Really like the game play snippets I saw, including the character comments.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Day one. And I NEVER get to say that.

Damn. :wub: :horse: :wub:

There’s the impetus I needed to pull the trigger on a new video card.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Something from the devs, DevDiary 3 - Making a Mercenary
What made Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 so special was the cast of unique and quirky mercenaries under your command. There were many memorable personalities, and every player had his favorites. Some of mine are Barry, Fox and Tex from the first installment.

We knew that to make a great Jagged Alliance sequel we had to have a big roster of mercs, and we had to get them right.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Dev Diary 4 - Character Progression
Hello everyone, I am Boian Spasov and I am happy to welcome you to our fourth DevDiary! In it we will take a look at the way we model the mercs mechanically and how they become more powerful, unique and personalized as the campaign progresses.

From the very start of the design process for Jagged Alliance 3 we knew that we wanted a classless system for the mercs. Even though some characters might reasonably be considered “field medics” or “explosive experts” based on their starting skillset and indeed the Association of International Mercenaries (A.I.M.) might even advertise them as such on their webpage, we didn’t want to constraint them in such narrow archetypes, nor force the player to use or develop them in a particular way. Advancing your so-called medic to become a top-tier sniper or mechanic should take serious effort, but is ultimately possible and no artificial class definitions will prevent you from doing so.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

DevDiary 5 - World Building: The world of Jagged Alliance 3
I am Radomir Mirchev, Senior Narrative Designer, and I will be your faithful guide to the world of JA3 and the country of Grand Chien - which is a crazy place, but we’ll get to that later.

For those of you who haven't played the previous games back at the time, Jagged Alliance isn’t just another turn-based tactical game. It also features certain RPG elements that are its heart and soul. The player takes command of a weird company of mercs with all their differences, peculiarities, likes and dislikes, and not just a squad of replaceable carbon-copied soldiers.

That defined our approach to world building. We wanted to create a game that responds to your actions, characters that have their own agenda, and events that follow their own logic. You can try things, fool around and see what comes out of it.

Freedom of exploration

We decided we shouldn’t hold the player’s hand or force them down one path or another. Travel on the satellite map, talk to anyone you like, be naughty or nice - or just fight your way to the end of the game without giving a damn. The player freedom of exploration is the core of the Jagged Alliance experience.

This approach however can easily lead to confusion. So we did our best to provide hints where the main content is - while we took care not to actually guide the player to “go there and do that”.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I keep getting excited when I see this thread updated. I guess it's good that I am still getting excited.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am as well! I feel like they're saying all the right things. Hope!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:32 am I am as well! I feel like they're saying all the right things. Hope!
I was going to say something pessimistic but fuck it. A little optimism for a game ain't gonna hurt anyone. Looking forward to overthrowing a regime with my plucky band of mercs!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Good article from PC Gamer, Jagged Alliance 3 is a chaotic action movie homage where all of your plans will go up in flames
My international squad of mercenaries—the not-quite-heroes of Jagged Alliance 3—were enjoying a day at the beach, following up on some intel that an explosives expert was hanging out there. Instead, they found themselves in a sandy minefield surrounded by foes. Naturally, a fight broke out. Several goons were grouped together, which was convenient for my shotgun-wielding medic. One turn in, half of the opposition were either dead or close to it. Then my mechanic stepped on a mine.

Chaos took hold. One of my squad went berserk, ran out of cover and just started spraying bullets. Another panicked, tried to flee and, of course, stepped on another mine. Someone thought it would be a good idea to toss a molotov into the mix. More mines went off. Bullets pinged off rocks and thudded into the sand as shots missed their targets. There was shouting and screaming and threats. A miraculous headshot finally ended the carnage, and somehow my mercs walked away with only nearly-fatal injuries. Just another day in the office.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And this preview from the Wargamer site, Jagged Alliance 3 preview – Fulfilling its contract
A turn-based tactics game where you recruit and manage a team of mercenaries and attempt to liberate an island nation from the shackles of a totalitarian regime, Jagged Alliance 3 certainly doesn’t stray far from the series’ roots. Which is unsurprising, because of course, Haemimont Games hopes to recapture the magic of 1999’s Jagged Alliance 2. This cult classic is much loved for its complexity, gameplay variety, and emphasis on player freedom. So, how is the new modern sequel stacking up?
My take on the article is that the combat system works well, the management part is pretty decent, but there are a number of issues still to be resolved, such as controlling mercs in real-time outside of combat...
It’s whenever you’re asked to move your mercs around outside of combat that I had the most trouble with Jagged Alliance 3. Navigating the maps in real time with your mercs is finickity to a fist-clenching degree. For instance, you can select all your guys to move them around, but then click on an item to loot, and only one member of the team will run over there. That’s frustrating since inventory space is severely limited, and your mercs must be bunched up to swap items around. Similarly, icons are hard to click on, and sometimes placed frustratingly close together.
So hopefully a lot of these issues will be addressed before release.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That last screenshot posted above has me drooling. Looks like 2 dozen ppl in a massive gun battle in front of a house. :wub:

That alone captures a lot of the spirit of JA, to me…the chaos and unpredictability of those kind of battles was so fun. Silent Storm did that well, also.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:28 am I keep getting excited when I see this thread updated. I guess it's good that I am still getting excited.
I am making a list of the names of people that bump this thread while it still doesn't have a release date. Just so you are aware.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:22 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:28 am I keep getting excited when I see this thread updated. I guess it's good that I am still getting excited.
I am making a list of the names of people that bump this thread while it still doesn't have a release date. Just so you are aware.
:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Uh-oh... </runs for cover>

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.