Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) Remade

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) Remade

Post by Grifman »

The rumors are true - KOTOR is being remade! Teaser video here - for PS and PC (though the trailer just says PS):

Developer interview here:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Carpet_pissr

Re: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) Remade

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Nooooooo! PS5 only?! No PC?

Edit: oops, just read your first sentence...YAY!!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Confirmation on Twitter as to the PC version:

Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Are they keeping the turn based combat or make it into an action game?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:44 pm Are they keeping the turn based combat or make it into an action game?
You've seen all that everyone else has seen. :D
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I thought this was announced months ago. I guess it was only rumoured.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:44 pm Are they keeping the turn based combat or make it into an action game?
As pointed out we know nothing, but when I see "remake" I think it's updated textures, lighting, etc... to take advantage of modern hardware. I wouldn't expect core game play mechanics to change.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I uh, sincerely hope that they do something about those stupid speeder races. That was seriously the most frustrating part of the game (until I figured out how to game the system).

Pure Pazaak, though.
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:10 pm
As pointed out we know nothing, but when I see "remake" I think it's updated textures, lighting, etc... to take advantage of modern hardware. I wouldn't expect core game play mechanics to change.
Updated textures, lighting, etc.. is probably called remastered. Remake can be more than that.

For example, FF7 remake.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

And was it really turn based. It was long time ago but I thought it was RTWP - Real Time With Pause - but like I said, I could be wrong. That said, I doubt that it will be TB, but your guess is as good as mine.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:02 am
Updated textures, lighting, etc.. is probably called remastered. Remake can be more than that.

For example, FF7 remake.
Yeah, a remake suggests a deep dive, from completely new models, possibly redesigned areas and completely new cinematics. The only thing I could imagine being the same would be possibly the voice work.

The ironic thing about this being a PS and PC Exclusive is that it was originally an XBox and PC Exclusive back when it originally released.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Victoria Raverna

Grifman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:16 am
And was it really turn based. It was long time ago but I thought it was RTWP - Real Time With Pause - but like I said, I could be wrong. That said, I doubt that it will be TB, but your guess is as good as mine.
RTWP is still turned based. It is just a timed turn based system.
Formix

Post by Formix »

I'm 100% day one for this one . . . unless early reviews are truly awful.
Victoria Raverna

Formix wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:11 am I'm 100% day one for this one . . . unless early reviews are truly awful.
Not day one for me. Aspyr is only known as a company that specialized in porting games and not always doing a good job in that.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Aspyr typically does a pretty good job on their ports. Of the ones I've played, their iPad versions of KOTOR 1 & 2 were fantastic, Civ VI was great, and Star Wars Racer was well-done. I've heard less flattering things about their Jedi Knight ports, but that could just be a function of the age of the original games.

My concern is that while their previous ports have been fine, Aspyr isn't exactly known for doing anything special with them. In most cases, the ports have been about as barebones as it gets. They make the games functional on newer systems and add some higher res textures to the original models, but make no changes at all to gameplay, UI, etc.

I'm not sure how interested I'd be if they the keep the same approach with KOTOR on PS5, as I've already played the game multiple times on multiple consoles. Seeing the same old, clunky character models and stiff combat just in slightly higher res doesn't interest me all that much. If they actually overhaul the whole thing with current gen graphics though, I'd be in.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:02 am
Agree.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

If this is like the FF7 remake where it's substantially a new game just based around the same story, then I'm definitely in. But especially with the developer seems like it's more likely to be a straight re-do just with updated graphics and the like, in which case...I've played this enough times already.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:02 am Updated textures, lighting, etc.. is probably called remastered. Remake can be more than that.

For example, FF7 remake.
That's fair. Cheerfully withdrawn!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, souls-like combat with skin packs, then.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:18 am Aspyr typically does a pretty good job on their ports. Of the ones I've played, their iPad versions of KOTOR 1 & 2 were fantastic, Civ VI was great, and Star Wars Racer was well-done. I've heard less flattering things about their Jedi Knight ports, but that could just be a function of the age of the original games.

My concern is that while their previous ports have been fine, Aspyr isn't exactly known for doing anything special with them. In most cases, the ports have been about as barebones as it gets. They make the games functional on newer systems and add some higher res textures to the original models, but make no changes at all to gameplay, UI, etc.

I'm not sure how interested I'd be if they the keep the same approach with KOTOR on PS5, as I've already played the game multiple times on multiple consoles. Seeing the same old, clunky character models and stiff combat just in slightly higher res doesn't interest me all that much. If they actually overhaul the whole thing with current gen graphics though, I'd be in.
It’s like I didn’t even post an interview with the developer in the second link in the OP. He clearly says this is a remake “from the ground up while retaining the story and characters from the original”. That sounds like a lot more than just “adding some high res characters”.
Last edited by Grifman on Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:52 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:18 am Aspyr typically does a pretty good job on their ports. Of the ones I've played, their iPad versions of KOTOR 1 & 2 were fantastic, Civ VI was great, and Star Wars Racer was well-done. I've heard less flattering things about their Jedi Knight ports, but that could just be a function of the age of the original games.

It’s like I didn’t even post an interview with the developer in the second post in this thread. He clearly says this is a remake “from the ground up while retaining the story and characters from the original”. That sounds like a lot more than just “adding some high res characters”.
To be fair, the tweet that you linked to gives no indication of an interview with the developer.

edit: ah, I see that the second link in the first post of the thread has a youtube link to a developer interview...
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:50 pm

To be fair, the tweet that you linked to gives no indication of an interview with the developer.

edit: ah, I see that the second link in the first post of the thread has a youtube link to a developer interview...
My bad, I got confused which post I had the link :)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It will at most likely get an entirely different engine. An engine that can take advantage of the latest video technology, and something that can scale better. Played both games recently and while OK, they look fairly dated and don't scale up all that well, as there's only so much textures and models can do when there's a coded limit to what it can accept.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:19 pm It will at most likely get an entirely different engine. An engine that can take advantage of the latest video technology, and something that can scale better. Played both games recently and while OK, they look fairly dated and don't scale up all that well, as there's only so much textures and models can do when there's a coded limit to what it can accept.
Most likely? What are those odds, exactly? The game was released in 2003. Do they even have the source code? :)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jennifer Hale is back as Bastilla:

https://www.ign.com/articles/jennifer-h ... tor-remake
She's also not the only returning voice actor from the original game. "I do think that you’re going to see some other familiar voices return, but that’s probably as deep as we’re gonna go on that one right now," added Treadwell in the same blog post.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I don't totally get why they're doing a remake as opposed to a completely new KOTOR game (KOTOR 3, essentially, or KOTOR prequel).
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:23 am I don't totally get why they're doing a remake as opposed to a completely new KOTOR game (KOTOR 3, essentially, or KOTOR prequel).
Same. I wish it were a new game in the KOTOR series. Not a remake of a game/story I've already played through.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It's presumably still cheaper than designing a whole new game, and between FF7 and Mass Effect there are a lot of high-profile remakes/remasters right now. Only a guess. And how do we know another studio isn't working on KOTOR 3 or a spiritual sequel? Or perhaps this is being used as a market test (even though that doesn't seem necessary).

What's the status of KOTOR in current canon? Even if it's available for licensing, perhaps the business people would prefer to focus on new and active settings.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:23 am I don't totally get why they're doing a remake as opposed to a completely new KOTOR game (KOTOR 3, essentially, or KOTOR prequel).
My guess is they might be using this remake to test the waters. Maybe if successful, they'll then remake the 2nd game, and also make a 3rd. Well, here's hoping.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

How do you know that Lucas Arts would allow them to make KOTOR 3? Presumably the answer is no, because if that is what LA wanted, that is what Aspyr would be doing. LA owns the IP, they determine what is done with it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not quite dead yet...

Knights of the Old Republic Remake shows faint, flickering sign of life in publisher report
First reported by Insider Gaming, quiet mega-publisher the Embracer Group recently released its full year report for April 2022-March 2023, and that report lists the now legendarily fraught Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic Remake as a project under active development in the subhead "Announced PC/Console Releases as of May 24, 2023."

The information in the report is sparse, but telling enough in its own way. The KotOR Remake is listed as coming to both PS5 and PC, hopefully meaning no console exclusivity, timed or otherwise. The game's "external" publishing partner is almost assuredly Sony Interactive Entertainment, which has a credit in the game's sole trailer and explains why the game is not slated for Xbox consoles.

The game's developer remains an as-of-yet unspecified "internal" studio, meaning it could be any one of the Embracer Group's countless subsidiaries, but prior reporting from Bloomberg suggests that development has moved to Saber Interactive, the parent company of the project's original developer, Aspyr.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I thought I felt a tingle....then nothing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I remember basically buying the original X-Box solely to play KOTOR. Weird that it may end up a PS5 exclusive now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:47 pm I thought I felt a tingle....then nothing.
‘Twas but The Schwartz.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:14 am
Daehawk wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:47 pm I thought I felt a tingle....then nothing.
‘Twas but The Schwartz.
Your Schwartz is as big as mine!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

As if millions of gamers cried out at once...
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins