Saints Row Reboot "Self Made"

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Saints Row Reboot "Self Made"

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As long as they keep the twisted, absurd elements in it. That's what made the series stand out.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

According to GOG Galaxy, I own:
Saints Row The Third and Remastered (no apostrophe?!)
Saints Row IV

Is it worth tracking down the first and second in the series? I have played exactly none of them.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

1 and 2 were fine for their time but 3 and 4 take the genre into more ludicrous and fun. I wouldn’t torture myself with the old graphics.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I played 3 and 4. Along the way in one of the bundles I got 2. I've never felt the urge to play it. Nor do I feel like I was missing anything. I think you'd be fine.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Good, thanks.

Not sure you can even find 1 on PC after a quick search. Console exclusive maybe?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

As far as I know the orignal game was only released on the XBox 360 and was never ported to PC.

Personally, I'd recommend playing SR2. More Johnny Gat, Shaundi and Pierce is a good thing in my book.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The release date has been delayed by 6 months.
Saints Row will no longer release on the originally announced date of 25th February 2022, instead it will launch worldwide on 23rd August 2022.

Our priority is to create the best Saints Row game yet and, if we released on the original date, it wouldn’t be up to the standards we’ve set ourselves, and that you’re expecting and deserve. The team just need more time to do our vision justice; we’re doing some fine tuning and there won’t be much change in the game outside of overall quality and polish.

In all honesty, we underestimated the impact COVID would have on our schedule, although everyone adapted very quickly to the working from home arrangement and continued to be incredibly productive.

However, due to the size and scope of our new Saints Row, it’s become apparent that to create the best game possible, we need to give our team longer to perfect their craft.

As mentioned when we announced Saints Row in August, this will be the biggest and best Saints Row game ever and, in order to achieve our goal, we’ve settled upon a generous, yet essential amount of time to realise our ambitions.

Rest assured, there will not be any changes to the story or the characters or anything that we’ve lovingly imagined over the last few years and already shared with you.

Over the past two years, all corners of the entertainment industry have been affected/impacted in one way or another. As gamers ourselves, we know what it feels like to have something delayed which you’ve been looking forward to; it’s frustrating and you feel disappointed. But we also know that when we finally get Saints Row in your hands, it will have been worth the wait. It’s our absolute priority to get this right.

Keep it strange,
Jim

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Volition must have had some people over for a tea party or something. There are Saints Row preview articles popping up all over the place today.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Posted solely because the phrase "Gone Gold" fills me with bittersweet nostalgia.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm sure Max is getting exhausted doing all the posting so I thought I'd add something as well. From Gaming Nexus, a preview article:
There’s a new Saints Row coming out near the end of August. To help build some hype for the game Deep Silver Volition, the game’s developers invited a select group out to Las Vegas to experience firsthand Santo Ileso, the city Saints Row takes place in. I wasn’t sure what to expect; it’s not every day that I get invited out to Las Vegas to try out a new video game. The hotel I stayed at, Thunderbird Boutique, had been taken over By Deep Silver and transformed into Santo Ileso. That’s the fictional city Saints Row takes place in, and it was a party.
You have to go down about six paragraphs to get to the actual look at the gameplay, but it is there. The author avoids story spoilers but does give some details about the characters and the environment. And thanks to Deep Silver Volition deciding to release it on my wife's birthday :roll: I won't be participating in the day one activities on the forum :(
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Seven and a wakie!

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:35 pm As far as I know the orignal game was only released on the XBox 360 and was never ported to PC.
this is correct. the first Saints Row was never released on PC and Saints Row 2 was 'a bit janky' port of the X360 version. (SR3 and onward had approximately simultaneous co-development for console and PC)

if you reeeeally wanted to you could install Xenia (x360 emulator) and play SR1 that way...

and the "Gentlemen of the Row" modpack is highly recommended for the PC port of SR2
https://www.moddb.com/mods/gentlemen-of-the-row
“A massive integrated collection of mods, tweaks, and fixes that greatly enhances the game while still staying true to the spirit of the original. The mod has been carefully balanced to be used by either a newcomer or a veteran to the series, and offers 100+ new clothing items with 120+ new logos, improved weather including a darker night time and more vibrant colours in daytime, plane and boat mechanics for customizing, additional missions, new vehicle dealerships, new weapons, new cribs, new homies and gang styles, new taunts and compliments, new walking styles, 100+ new ambient music tracks for purchase, more car paints, more skin colors, tattoos, makeup, optional 360/PS3 onscreen controller prompts, new cheat codes including NPC morphs, and tons of tweaks and bug fixes.”
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Six and a wakie!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm feverishly trying to finish up FAR CRY 6 because this will likely be a Day One purchase for me.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Apparently forgot it was an Epic exclusive on PC, dammit. See you in 6 months!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:59 pm Apparently forgot it was an Epic exclusive on PC, dammit. See you in 6 months!
Me too :handgestures-thumbup:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm expecting it to be a one-year exclusive deal (that's what they did with the Saints Row the Third Remastered release). I don't dislike Epic nearly enough to wait that long. :lol:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I'd prefer Steam, but I don't dislike Epic.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I love Saints Row and will be very tempted to pick this one up for PS5. I am also tempted to wait for reviews, because it could go several ways. That said, I was also interested in Soul Hacker 2 and the reviews for that were lackluster, so that might free up my money for this.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:48 pm Enlarge Image
I'm good on Ultra except for the 12GB VRAM, I only have ten. I guess I can tune that.

A review from Gaming Nexus. They like it, 9.5/10.
Volition’s gamble to reset and reground Saints Row pays off generously. A visual delight, with plenty of gameplay mechanics to keep players goofing off for days, and the Santo Ileso setting is one of the best in video game history. Sure, the shooting gets redundant after a while, but with so much to see and do you can go hours in between gun battles. Saints Row manages retain what players loved while feeling fresh and new. Other reboots, take note – this is how you do it.
I might actually have to break down and get this on Epic, but not right away. Tomorrow is my wife's birthday and then I have F1 Manager 2022 coming. Maybe after my surgery when I'm stuck at home for a while. I'll wait for impressions from you folks.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

On the other hand...

From PCGamer, 6/10
Saints Row is always at its best when it cuts loose, when it goes full dubstep-gun stupid, and the reboot forgets that for long stretches. When it remembers, you get things like a storyline in which you take part in a citywide LARP, fighting Mad Max roleplayers with foam weapons while dressed in cardboard armour, and that's the kind of daftness it could do with more of.
From PCGamesN, 7/10
Sometimes repetitive, sometimes eye-rolling, and sometimes just plain busted, Saints Row 2022 is far from perfect, but that doesn’t stop it from being a chaotic good time.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ouch. Those scores don't make me want to drop $60. Feeling better about not having finished Far Cry 6 yet. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just watched this review:

On the plus side, now I don't have to worry about buying a game on Epic. :P It will probably be an eventual purchase if they fix all the bugs, but I really wanted something now because my queue has run dry.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm not that surprised. The trailers and such just didn't look that great. It's a shame as I could really use a goofy open world game right now.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:34 pm It's a shame as I could really use a goofy open world game right now.
Time for an Elden Ring replay!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:34 pm I'm not that surprised. The trailers and such just didn't look that great. It's a shame as I could really use a goofy open world game right now.
I just posted in the GTAV thread right now, I'm finding the story mode still lots of fun.

I'm wondering how well Santo Ileso compares to Los Santos. And how much entertainment can be found there outside of the main story or the side gigs.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya GTAV is fun but I've played it to death. I guess I can go back to Yakuza but I have to be in a special mood to want to play that game. Aka if I don't have a lot of time to watch the movies I tend to not want to play it.

Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I’m pretty desperate so I’ll prob just grab it tomorrow regardless. I like having a big game or 2 to test my system every now and again.

I suspect I will get my enjoyment out of it in the character creator and then probably not play much of the real game. :mrgreen: :ninja:
Zarathud

Saints Row Reboot "Self Made"

Post by Zarathud »

How can you expand any game where you become the President, get abducted by aliens, get sucked into the matrix, develop superpowers then fight the Alien Overlord? Then fight the Devil himself while seducing his daughter? That’s Epic tier insanity.

Sometimes you want to get a little LESS Epic. Preferably somewhere you can just blow off a little steam.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
jztemple2

Re: Saints Row Reboot

Post by jztemple2 »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:06 pm Sometimes you want to get a little LESS Epic. Preferably somewhere you can just blow off a little steam.
Maybe I can deduce the origin of your thoughts :wink:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm all in regardless of reviews.

I spent some time in the Boss Factory tonight to assemble the ideal boss to take over Santo Ileso:

Enlarge Image

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Danny? :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yup. I found a Youtube video that someone made showing the settings they used for him and shamelessly copied them.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Nice. I applaud your choice.

Black Lives Matter