[Movie] Dungeons & Dragons - again?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: [Movie] Dungeons & Dragons - again?

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:14 am
Sudy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:10 pm - The opening message "you're a hero for seeing this movie in a theatre" really rubbed me the wrong way.
I never saw this message. Was it part of the movie, or was it something stuck in there by the theater company?
Felt like a Paramount thing for sure, or maybe the production company? It was the cast of the film, right before it began. It was framed as a "thank you", but it seemed more calculated, pushing an agenda. Maybe there's a reason it didn't play in all theatres then, I dunno.

I can't find the clip but this Reddit thread discusses it. Apparently several other films have done this.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:29 am
Sudy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:10 pm - The opening message "you're a hero for seeing this movie in a theatre" really rubbed me the wrong way.
I never saw this message. Was it part of the movie, or was it something stuck in there by the theater company?
Felt like a Paramount thing for sure, or maybe the production company? It was the cast of the film, right before it began. It was framed as a "thank you", but it seemed more calculated, pushing an agenda. Maybe there's a reason it didn't play in all theatres then, I dunno.

I can't find the clip but this Reddit thread discusses it.
Ah, the cast intro. That I saw - I just didn't pay much attention to it. I thought you were talking about some sort of COVID-related splash screen.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I've seen that with other movies too. I don't find it particularly unusual and specific to this movie.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Really? I don't think I've seen that before. Not in a mainstream film anyway. Has this been more during the pandemic? Might make sense if so as I think this is only the 4th or 5th film I've gone to the theatre for since. But this one was definitely pushing the "in theatres is the only way you should see movies" agenda. Or maybe I'm just extra cynical these days.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

gilraen wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:39 am
I've seen that with other movies too. I don't find it particularly unusual and specific to this movie.
Just felt like a "thank you for seeing this movie" wrapped in the general "hero" theme of D&D. Wasn't anything weird about it to me.

What agenda did you feel it was pushing?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I took it as a message about piracy, which is a massive issue for studios. In that context, it didn’t bother me.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This was a fun movie where I was really tempted to wait, but the casting (Grant/Pines) and word of mouth was enough to convince my wife to see it. The stinger advanced a “go see the movies” agenda but I understand defending their business model. And Hasbro needed the eyeballs to justify the cost.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:22 am Just felt like a "thank you for seeing this movie" wrapped in the general "hero" theme of D&D. Wasn't anything weird about it to me.

What agenda did you feel it was pushing?
Yeah, like Zarathud said. A "go see the movies where they were meant to be seen, not streaming on your phone you selfish pleb" agenda. I wasn't outraged or anything; just found it distasteful. But I didn't know/remember pre-show thank yous were a thing. Track one of an album on vinyl/cd isn't the artist thanking the listener for buying the album rather than listening to it on Spotify.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I didn't like that little message at the start of the movie. I found it...hmm... not sure if patronizing is the right word...

Please don't tell me that "I'm the real hero." when I am engaging in one of the most passive and gluttonous things I get to do. I'm sitting in the dark eating totally overpriced popcorn and a totally overpriced cherry-coke, waiting to be entertained in a fully reclining seat with a little table and cup holder. I probably look like one of the people in Wall-E and if you take that moment to call me a hero -- I feel ridiculous.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:52 pm Track one of an album on vinyl/cd isn't the artist thanking the listener for buying the album rather than listening to it on Spotify.
No, but many of them have an FBI anti piracy warning displayed prominently on them.
Unagi wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:12 pm I didn't like that little message at the start of the movie. I found it...hmm... not sure if patronizing is the right word...

Please don't tell me that "I'm the real hero." when I am engaging in one of the most passive and gluttonous things I get to do. I'm sitting in the dark eating totally overpriced popcorn and a totally overpriced cherry-coke, waiting to be entertained in a fully reclining seat with a little table and cup holder. I probably look like one of the people in Wall-E and if you take that moment to call me a hero -- I feel ridiculous.
I stood up, turned to face the people behind me, and took a bow. I felt it was about time I was recognized for my heroism.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm a hero because I had just paid ~$100 for my family to watch a single movie, including four $9 drinks that cost the theater ~19 cents each. Yay heroic me. Ticker-freaking-tape. :roll:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I spent 17 bucks a beer (after taxes) when zarathud and I went to see Bruce Campbell last Tuesday. If you wanna go out to an event, you’re gonna pay through the nose for concessions. It’s always been that way.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I know. It's why I go to the movies twice a year now (although when Michelle goes with use we often do make use of her smugglin' purse.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One of the reasons I miss drive ins. You could take an entire 4 course meal into a movie if you felt so inclined.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And afterward you could kick back if you felt so reclined.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

My mouth fell open when I ordered a regular Mountain Dew and it was only $4.98 CAD (about $3.65 USD). It's a smaller theatre, but I think the popcorn's still $7. I'd paid $15 or $16 for a beer at a concert the night before. It almost seems normal now.

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We have AMC A-List, so the ticket price is already included. We do not buy concessions unless it's with free "reward" bucks (those accumulate as we spend money on the monthly subscription fee). Especially since we still wear masks in the theater, unless it's empty, so concessions are totally not worth the money or hassle.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Sudy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:42 am Really? I don't think I've seen that before. Not in a mainstream film anyway. Has this been more during the pandemic? Might make sense if so as I think this is only the 4th or 5th film I've gone to the theatre for since. But this one was definitely pushing the "in theatres is the only way you should see movies" agenda. Or maybe I'm just extra cynical these days.
Tom Cruise had a similar message that showed in the theater before Maverick. To me it was framed as a genuine thank you, but I'm sure there could certainly have been other motivations.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Redfive wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:22 am
Sudy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:42 am Really? I don't think I've seen that before. Not in a mainstream film anyway. Has this been more during the pandemic? Might make sense if so as I think this is only the 4th or 5th film I've gone to the theatre for since. But this one was definitely pushing the "in theatres is the only way you should see movies" agenda. Or maybe I'm just extra cynical these days.
Tom Cruise had a similar message that showed in the theater before Maverick. To me it was framed as a genuine thank you, but I'm sure there could certainly have been other motivations.
Let's check: Does the name "Xenu" cause you any distress after seeing that message?
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Sometimes I slap at where those free body Thetans might gather, just to be safe. I figure they work like bacteria. So if you see me swatting at my armpits or crotch just act normal.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:19 pm I stood up, turned to face the people behind me, and took a bow. I felt it was about time I was recognized for my heroism.
:laughing-lettersrofl:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Oldest and I saw it Saturday. It was a fun popcorn flick. I would have liked more Lord Bridgerton, hell Hugh Grant was even a nice fit.

Now when do we get the Gold Box game?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was curious how it has fared at the box office. Looks like...not great. :(

Doesn't seem like a complete flop, but certainly not a huge success either.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

worldwide box office is 1.3 times production budget
Oof.

Maybe dropping a week before Mario wasn't the best idea.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:54 pm
worldwide box office is 1.3 times production budget
Oof.

Maybe dropping a week before Mario wasn't the best idea.
Yeah, that probably didn't help. In our theater, the Mario movie knocked Dungeons & Dragons out of both the Dolby and IMAX theaters, taking up every single screening in those "premium" theaters for the next 2 weeks.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Well, it's available on Paramount+. I thought they could have toned down the humor some, but I had a blast watching it. Funniest part for me was the part with the holographic bard.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, that was quick. Think I’ll do a rewatch.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:01 pm Wow, that was quick. Think I’ll do a rewatch.
I watched it again last weekend. Actually enjoyed it more the second time around.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:01 pm Wow, that was quick. Think I’ll do a rewatch.
D&D Again, again?

Glad I waited for the freebie. It was much better than expected.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Jaymann wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:58 am
Glad I waited for the freebie. It was much better than expected.
That's why you're not the hero that Hepcat is. :P
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm the hero OO needs, not the one it wants.

...or needs, now that I'm thinking about it.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hank Azaria from Mystery Men?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Re: Paramount+, you can sign up for free for a month (and the month after that, etc etc). Doubt Paramount+ will be around much longer TBH.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:23 pm Re: Paramount+, you can sign up for free for a month (and the month after that, etc etc). Doubt Paramount+ will be around much longer TBH.
Showtime and Paramount+ to finally merge into one service on June 27
The combined service will be called Paramount+ With Showtime
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I bought the DVD rather than deal with their streaming.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They still make those? :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:58 am Glad I waited for the freebie. It was much better than expected.
What free service is it on?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s not. They meant a service they already have or got a free trial for. Paramount Plus.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeff V wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:30 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:58 am Glad I waited for the freebie. It was much better than expected.
What free service is it on?
Yeah, I paid for P+ to watch Rabbit Hole, and D&D was no additional cost.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:36 pm It’s not. They meant a service they already have or got a free trial for. Paramount Plus.
A free trial that never ends. :D