[Movie] Dungeons & Dragons - again?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

[Movie] Dungeons & Dragons - again?

Post by Blackhawk »

Given how the D&D license has been handled in other media - with only a few exceptions - I'm hesitant. But this is happening.

Confirmed are Chris Pine, Rege-Jean Page, Hugh Grant, Jason Wong, Daisy Head, Justice Smith, Michelle Rodriguez. Hugh Grant, and Sophia Lillis. Dave Arneson has a writer's credit, with the screenplay by two guys I don't know (but one did Spider-Man: Homecoming, so there's that.)

New rumor today is that Benedict Cumberbatch has been cast.

There have been a lot of rumors over the years about the content, but nothing has been confirmed. At one point it was supposed to be a Drizzt movie (although the makeup could be problematic in this day and age, and D&D is being very careful with the Drow right now anyway.)

All that is known for sure is this set photo:
Spoiler:
That's the symbol of the city of Neverwinter in blue, so we know it's set in the Forgotten Realms.
Again, I'm skeptical. It would be great if it could kick off an MCU-quality film series (their hope), but nobody ever seems to know how to treat fantasy in film without making it cheesy garbage.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scuzz

Re: [Movie] Dungeons & Dragons - again?

Post by Scuzz »

That is a better than average cast for a D&D movie.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh no plz no!! WTF is Chris Pine thinking?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Every other D&D media project occurred in the era when role-playing games were a niche hobby for nerds. With RPGs now much more hip and high-profile, I could see someone putting real money into this.

And that is an interesting cast. I doubt you'd see Cumberbatch on board if the script were garbage (that is, unless he's entering his late-period Jeremy Irons phase).
Last edited by Holman on Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is Uwe directing?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:57 pm That is a better than average cast for a D&D movie.
Especially with two Hugh Grants.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He's not been the same since that hooker incident.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Are you saying he's only half the man he used to be?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

You had me at Michelle Rodriguez.

Rawr.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:52 pm Are you saying he's only half the man he used to be?
According to this movie he is twice the man he used to be.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:26 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:57 pm That is a better than average cast for a D&D movie.
Especially with two Hugh Grants.
:lol:
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I was at Target the other day and noticed they carry a D&D starter set. A few decades ago, I sold all of my books and other accessories to a local cop.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is this going to be anything like Mazes and Monsters? Because that movie taught me all I need to know about this kind of crap. :snooty:
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:56 pm I was at Target the other day and noticed they carry a D&D starter set. A few decades ago, I sold all of my books and other accessories to a local cop.
My 12-year-old spent 3 hours last night preparing to GM her first campaign using that Starter Kit. Seeing the next generation of RPG’ers in action has been neat.

That said, I have absolutely zero hope for this movie.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I remember talking my friends into seeing the 2000 film... I think there was a typo on Movies.com that listed it as being 180 minute rather than 108 which made by teenaged mind assume it was some kind of fantasy epic. Boy was I relieved when that 108 minutes was over.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Come now, that film had such great writing: "Just like you thieves; Always taking things that don't belong to you!"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

First trailer for "Honor Among Thieves"

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This would have rocked the 80s.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

What the heck is with these mini-trailers before the trailers?!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

These movies need to be made Like Clue was back in the day. Let the audience collectively roll the dice and boom choose your own adventure.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I didn't hate that.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The graphics look good and they have some good actors but it just seems stupid to me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Seems like a generic action movie to me. I'll admit that it's cool to get to see an owl bear on film, but this doesn't look all that interesting. And what's with Whole Lotta Love as the musical backdrop? How does that fit with anything?
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:09 pm Seems like a generic action movie to me. I'll admit that it's cool to get to see an owl bear on film, but this doesn't look all that interesting. And what's with Whole Lotta Love as the musical backdrop? How does that fit with anything?
To be fair, we listened to a lot of Zeppelin while playing D&D in the early 80s.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't want to influence the thread, but I was left with a distinct feeling the movie (or at least the trailer) was inspired by The Legend of Vox Machina (at least what I watched on Amazon Prime). If you haven't watched it yet, would recommend.

I can't find anything specific connecting the two (directly), but there does seem to be some acknowledgment of the influence.
Based on the trailer, Honor Among Thieves looks like a perfect tonal match for the rambunctious and character-oriented tabletop sessions actual play shows have popularized, and the right kind of D&D film for this moment.

When asked about cameos from the cast of popular D&D live-play shows like Critical Role, Dimension 20, or The Adventure Zone, the panel said that there will be “at least one” cameo from a “well-known” D&D personality but wouldn’t say more.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In spite of some of the dialog not working (mostly due to the character Scanlan's oftentimes anachronistic and/or just painfully juvenile jokes), I really enjoyed Vox Machina. Once it got past the initial introduction steps, the story was fun and deeper than I expected.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:12 pm I didn't want to influence the thread, but I was left with a distinct feeling the movie (or at least the trailer) was inspired by The Legend of Vox Machina (at least what I watched on Amazon Prime). If you haven't watched it yet, would recommend.

I can't find anything specific connecting the two (directly), but there does seem to be some acknowledgment of the influence.
Based on the trailer, Honor Among Thieves looks like a perfect tonal match for the rambunctious and character-oriented tabletop sessions actual play shows have popularized, and the right kind of D&D film for this moment.

When asked about cameos from the cast of popular D&D live-play shows like Critical Role, Dimension 20, or The Adventure Zone, the panel said that there will be “at least one” cameo from a “well-known” D&D personality but wouldn’t say more.
I don't know if Joe Manganiello is the D&D personality, but honestly if he can't work his way into this movie, he should probably fire his agent.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Manganiello is just so damn likeable. If you haven't watched Pee-Wee's Big Holiday on Netflix, you're missing out on proof that Manganiello is a genuinely funny guy who can make fun of himself.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:52 pm Manganiello is just so damn likeable. If you haven't watched Pee-Wee's Big Holiday on Netflix, you're missing out on proof that Manganiello is a genuinely funny guy who can make fun of himself.
I went down a youtube rabbit hole around "who exactly is Vecna in D&D?" inspired by Stranger Things, and wound up watching a few videos about his character in Critical Role. Totally awesome.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:Manganiello is just so damn likeable. If you haven't watched Pee-Wee's Big Holiday on Netflix, you're missing out on proof that Manganiello is a genuinely funny guy who can make fun of himself.
My wife is absolutely in love with him. She about had a heart attack that I saw him at GenCon and didn't stop to say hello. What am I supposed to say, "Hi Joe. My wife is absolutely in love with you and I can't compete in looks, talent, or annual income?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I thought the preview looked like a lot of fun, and I usually am not a fan of Chris Pine. FX looked promising and I always love Michelle Rodriguez in anything. So surprisingly I’m pretty optimistic for this. Or maybe I’m just a sucker for a gelatinous cube on film.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:02 pm
hepcat wrote:Manganiello is just so damn likeable. If you haven't watched Pee-Wee's Big Holiday on Netflix, you're missing out on proof that Manganiello is a genuinely funny guy who can make fun of himself.
My wife is absolutely in love with him. She about had a heart attack that I saw him at GenCon and didn't stop to say hello. What am I supposed to say, "Hi Joe. My wife is absolutely in love with you and I can't compete in looks, talent, or annual income?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
He's like the anti-Wahlberg.
rittchard wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:08 pm I thought the preview looked like a lot of fun, and I usually am not a fan of Chris Pine.
Pine is another actor able to make fun of himself. And he made a film called Hell or High Water a few years ago that proves that he can really act. He is actually one of the bigger reasons I'll give this movie a shot.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:02 pm
You're supposed to ask if he and his wife are open to swinging.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

El Guapo wrote:You're supposed to ask if he and his wife are open to swinging.
You, sir, are a goddamned genius.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why would anyone jump into a cube? Eww.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Because it's hip to be square?
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I think Joe M was producing this movie and at one time wrote a script.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Of course, there are multiple D&D 'personalities.' Matt Mercer a possibility, and Vin Diesel is known for his love of D&D, too. Stephen Colbert, Dan Harmon.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:39 pm Why would anyone jump into a cube? Eww.
It would go something like this:

// As you round the corner you see before you a long corridor about 50 meters long. On this end of the corridor, about 5 meters from you is what appears to be a brand new can of Lays STAX, "Mesquite BBQ flavor", suspended in midair. You can't quite tell how it's suspended in the air like that from your current position in the hall but you suspect there is maybe a thin thread keeping it afloat. What do you do?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Switch to a new flavor.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949