Windows 11

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: Windows 11

Post by Jaymann »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:28 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:47 pm Yes, the video is flawed. But the concerns about W11 encrypting your PC are real.
You know that you can unencrypt it, right? It is not just W11. My HP W10 laptop that I bought three years ago also came encrypted but I can easily unencrypt it.
That's just it. Why should you be forced to unencrypt a computer you own.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:31 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:47 pm Yes, the video is flawed. But the concerns about W11 encrypting your PC are real.
You know that you can unencrypt it, right? It is not just W11. My HP W10 laptop that I bought three years ago also came encrypted but I can easily unencrypt it.
It is to provide default security for users. In case of theft, encrypted disk can prevent other from accessing your data. For those that don't need that, they can just disable it easily.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:56 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:31 pm
It is to provide default security for users. In case of theft, encrypted disk can prevent other from accessing your data. For those that don't need that, they can just disable it easily.
Right. Bitlocker is there so if someone gets physical access to your hard drive, they don't have access to your data. It's a brick. I encrypt every disk I use if it might have sensitive data on it. It's super simple to turn on or off. These people are the same ones that would castigate Microsoft if they lost their laptop and someone gained access to their financial data. It's always no win.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, what if you have important data on a drive, and the system dies? Maybe a power surge fries the motherboard and the drive that the OS was installed on. Will you be able to pull a Windows encrypted drive to access it from another PC?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:53 am So, what if you have important data on a drive, and the system dies? Maybe a power surge fries the motherboard and the drive that the OS was installed on. Will you be able to pull a Windows encrypted drive to access it from another PC?
Yes, you'd use the recovery key to do so. But of course you'd have backups elsewhere, right? #amidalayou'dhavethemright

Remember that Microsoft has to target their default policies to the masses.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I try to have backups, but complete extra drives are expensive.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:38 am I try to have backups, but complete extra drives are expensive.
You don't need to backup everything but you need to have backup of your important and irreplaceable data.

Computer drives don't last forever. While it is possible to get professional service to recover data from broken drives, it is much more expensive than just to invest in having a backup drive for your data.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I don't have much data that is critical. If I do I email mail it to myself.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Welp, I made the mistake of trying to use an upgrade to Windows 11 as a fix for a problem I couldn't solve (which it didn't solve BTW). Now my computer (particularly internet) is noticeably slower, and my printer is not supported (I thought the stupid "Windows 11 Check" app I downloaded and ran was supposed to check that?!?).

It looks like there SHOULD be an option to roll back to Windows 10, but it's greyed out dammit. Any other recourse than to do a whole new clean install? (and no, I don't need or want a new printer, my ancient Dell is working fantastically thankyouverymuch :P)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:56 pm Welp, I made the mistake of trying to use an upgrade to Windows 11 as a fix for a problem I couldn't solve (which it didn't solve BTW). Now my computer (particularly internet) is noticeably slower, and my printer is not supported (I thought the stupid "Windows 11 Check" app I downloaded and ran was supposed to check that?!?).

It looks like there SHOULD be an option to roll back to Windows 10, but it's greyed out dammit. Any other recourse than to do a whole new clean install? (and no, I don't need or want a new printer, my ancient Dell is working fantastically thankyouverymuch :P)
There is an option to roll back to Windows 10 without losing any data, but it only remains available for a period of ten days after upgrading to Windows 11:

Downgrade from Windows 11 to Windows 10
answers.microsoft.com wrote:Requirements for downgrade: Downgrade from Windows 11 to Windows 10 is subject to fulfil some requirements. Here they are:
  • You can only downgrade to Windows 10 within the 10 days of your upgrade. For example, if you upgraded to Windows 11 on 1 Sept, 2021, then you can downgrade within 10 days. If you want to downgrade on 25 Sept, 2021, you can’t.
  • Previous Windows version files, typically Windows.old folder and other required files should be present on your system.
Alas, this means you just hafta bite the bullet, and perform a whole new clean install of Windows 10. :grund:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

:doh:

It’s been around 20 days since I upgraded. Nice.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Verge
Windows 10 22H2 will be the final version of the operating system, Microsoft said in a blog post on Thursday. Moving forward, all editions of Windows 10 will be supported with monthly security updates until October 14th, 2025, when Microsoft will end support. (Some releases on the Long-Term Servicing Channel, or LTSC, will get updates past that end of support date.)

Microsoft is encouraging users to now transition to Windows 11 because Windows 10 won’t be getting any new features.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, never going to happen. By Oct. '25 both of my machines will be seven years old and due for replacement anyway.