Computing Chair Upgrade...

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Computing Chair Upgrade...

Post by Kasey Chang »

Right now I am using a Hayworth X99 I picked up at a used store for like $40. It's good, but it's not great. While it's adjustable, the base is a LITTLE wobbly, or should I say "center axle". And it has no headrest, so I can't really lean back. And the cushion is a bit thin, and the material is slick so any cushion I add inevitably wants to slide off (!). But it's better than the cheap task chairs I had.

I saw a "racing style" chair on Woot for $140, and it's rated 300 lbs, which fits me. But I am wondering if the OO Hivemind has some other ideas. Requirements are basically:
  • Headrest
  • Heavy-duty (rated at least 300 lb)
  • As adjustable as possible
  • Under $200 USD
  • Comfortable
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Re: Computing Chair Upgrade...

Post by hitbyambulance »

as much as possible, i would urge you to up your budget. going above $300 will increase the durability significantly (whereas with a sub-$200 new chair you will be replacing it again too soon, necessitating another cash outlay...)

even just saving up another $100 for a second-hand Steelcase Leap would be a good idea (and if you can do $500 for a used Aeron, you may never have to buy another chair again):

https://www.madisonseating.com/leap-cha ... lcase.html
https://www.madisonseating.com/aeron-ch ... arbon.html

but it's possible this knock-off Aeron would be just fine, and it's just $50 outside your range:

https://www.madisonseating.com/chadwick ... knoll.html
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:43 pm as much as possible, i would urge you to up your budget. going above $300 will increase the durability significantly (whereas with a sub-$200 new chair you will be replacing it again too soon, necessitating another cash outlay...)

even just saving up another $100 for a second-hand Steelcase Leap would be a good idea (and if you can do $500 for a used Aeron, you may never have to buy another chair again):

https://www.madisonseating.com/leap-cha ... lcase.html
https://www.madisonseating.com/aeron-ch ... arbon.html
Amen, hitbyambulance is absolutely correct. You'll invariably be kicking yourself if you cheap out. A second-hand Steelcase Leap or Aeron would be a vastly preferable option. Or if you want a well-built, brand new gaming chair, I'd recommend opting for a suitable Secretlab chair.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Fair assessment. Except NONE of those have headrests. :-/

But then, neither does this one:

Haworth Zody, $150, local. Going price appears to be $650 from Haworth's website, used/refurb go for about $350-400.

I did see a Steelcase Amia for sale, but it's 1 hour away. :-/
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You can purchase a headrest attachment for the Aeron.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think I'll rent a car Saturday and go visit this "outlet" across the bay. They claim to have old Aerons and such chairs. :)
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:56 pm Fair assessment. Except NONE of those have headrests. :-/
That's not true. Secretlab chairs typically include an incredibly comfy Memory Foam Head Pillow, as shown below:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

TheMix wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:11 pm You can purchase a headrest attachment for the Aeron.
this is so:

and i believe there are ones available for most Steelcase models as well (and if not available for a particular model for some reason, others can be modifed to be used)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:59 pm
TheMix wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:11 pm You can purchase a headrest attachment for the Aeron.
this is so:

https://www.amazon.com/Engineered-Now-H ... 005L9ATK6

and i believe there are ones available for most Steelcase models as well (and if not available for a particular model for some reason, others can be modifed to be used)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:49 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:56 pm Fair assessment. Except NONE of those have headrests. :-/
That's not true. Secretlab chairs typically include an incredibly comfy Memory Foam Head Pillow, as shown below:
Sorry, that was meant for Aeron, Leap, and that other chair by Knoll.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Around here you can dumpster dive for Aerons...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There's a local place clearing out their office chairs (same place with the Zody's) and they got Aerons for $350. do I want the tilt lock or without?
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:22 pm There's a local place clearing out their office chairs (same place with the Zody's) and they got Aerons for $350. do I want the tilt lock or without?
Tilt-lock provides for more comfort, so I'd suggest getting a chair with tilt-lock included as long as it doesn't come with a prohibitive cost increase. Here's a useful video that illustrates exactly what tilt-lock provides:

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Seems the ones with tilt-locks are a bit older, but should all be in good condition.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/fuo/d/ ... 34543.html

Don't really have time to go see them though. Hmmm... Will probably be $400+ w/ delivery. Probably the biggest splurge on myself aside from my PC.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:41 am Will probably be $400+ w/ delivery. Probably the biggest splurge on myself aside from my PC.
it'll be worth it. these chairs are made to be repaired/serviced and will just keep going and going

make sure you get the right size - the B will fit most people, but make sure your height/weight isn't actually a solid C:

https://www.designcabinet.biz/which-aer ... ts-me-best
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm right on the border for a B, according to the size chart. :)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Apparently my prior company thought we were all huge. I checked my chair the other day and discovered that it's a C. I'd rather have a B, but whatchagonnado? Free was free.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:36 am Apparently my prior company thought we were all huge. I checked my chair the other day and discovered that it's a C.
and tbh i don't think i've _ever_ seen an A (petite women and children) at any tech company i've worked for
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:54 pm
TheMix wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:36 am Apparently my prior company thought we were all huge. I checked my chair the other day and discovered that it's a C.
and tbh i don't think i've _ever_ seen an A (petite women and children) at any tech company i've worked for
I would be honestly surprised if you really haven't. I know dozens of petite women in tech... though I'm not super sure why it has to be tech. Non-tech people also use chairs.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:18 pm though I'm not super sure why it has to be tech. Non-tech people also use chairs.
(because those are the only companies i've worked for in the past 20 years)

more to the point, i was speaking to the way that tech companies have traditionally devalued women's roles - which goes down all the way to desk chair options
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A few years ago I bought 2 dozen of these babies in grey:

Enlarge Image

With everyday use as a desk chair, they last about a year. I paid $10 a piece for them. I probably have enough to last the rest of my life.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:37 pm A few years ago I bought 2 dozen of these babies in grey:

Enlarge Image

With everyday use as a desk chair, they last about a year. I paid $10 a piece for them. I probably have enough to last the rest of my life.
Those things aren't intended for comfortably plonking yer arse upon, they're better-suited for this:

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have one of those in the kitchen. The joint near the front right leg already broke. Chair's still stable enough, but its days are numbered.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just looked at SecretLab's Titan / Titan XL. How can the 2021 model actually be CHEAPER than the 2020 model? Hmmm?!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Cheaper materials leading to cheaper construction maybe?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

NYTimes review summary:

i prefer the Herman Miller over Steelcase because cushion foam - in any chair - will eventually degrade and need to be replaced. it'll take years, but it will happen, as with one of my office chairs recently (i opted to sell it for a really cheap price rather than attempt to re-foam the seat cushion)
naednek

Post by naednek »

If you want a comfortable affordable chair this is the one.

I bought mine last year and I love it. https://slickdeals.net/f/15165598-union ... =frontpage

$129
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
disarm

Post by disarm »

I've had a cloth Steelcase Leap that I bought from Madison Seating a couple years now and it's awesome...most comfortable desk chair I've ever owned, and doesn't show a single sign of wear so far. I sit in Aerons frequently at work and they're great chairs too, but I do think that I like my Leap v2 better.

I also wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying from MadisonSeating. Their customer service is just as advertised. The first chair they sent me had a break in the back frame and was unusable, but a couple quick emails with photos of the problem had a replacement on the way within a few days...and they told me that I could keep the broken chair for spare parts. I ended up with a great chair at 1/3 the price of new, and have an extra set of wheels and piston if anything happens to break.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:37 pm A few years ago I bought 2 dozen of these babies in grey:

Enlarge Image

The wife and her mother bought 6 of those at a church sale around 1994 in a cream color for 25 cents each. Five are outside doing fine to this day. The last one was given to me and Ive used it as a gaming PC chair since 94. Still fine as well. Ive added a pillow to it every few years. It has 4 or 5 in it now..flat but working.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was checking Madison Seating and it seems Aeron with Posture-Fit is only $25 more than the regular lumber support version (575 vs 549). Apparently Aeron can also be bought with no lumbar support and no posture-fit ($499). I do have the Golden State Stimulus check that would just about cover a chair... Probably the third most expensive stuff I bought for myself ever (most expensive was the car I used to own, 2nd would be my PC). I may bite the bullet on it on my B-day which is very soon. :D

But there's a local dealer (across the bay in Berkeley) that has a Steelcase Leap V1 for $260. VERY tempting.
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:56 am I was checking Madison Seating and it seems Aeron with Posture-Fit is only $25 more than the regular lumber support version (575 vs 549). Apparently Aeron can also be bought with no lumbar support and no posture-fit ($499). I do have the Golden State Stimulus check that would just about cover a chair... Probably the third most expensive stuff I bought for myself ever (most expensive was the car I used to own, 2nd would be my PC). I may bite the bullet on it on my B-day which is very soon. :D

But there's a local dealer (across the bay in Berkeley) that has a Steelcase Leap V1 for $260. VERY tempting.
Rest assured, you will not regret spending more for the comfort and durability of a well-built office chair, especially as you grow older.

Realistically, if you consider just how much time you are likely to spend using your chair, you will derive an immense amount of value from it. Because instead of purchasing and invariably having to replace shabbily-constructed, inferior sub-$200 chairs on a recurring basis, you'll have no such issues with a well-crafted chair. Even if/when something does go wrong, well-crafted chairs are specifically designed with parts that can be easily repaired, replaced, and serviced so that the chair can just keep going, and going, and going. So typically, when purchased from an authorized retailer, they include a warranty to match (e.g. if memory serves, Herman Miller chairs have something like a 12-year warranty and Steelcase has a lifetime warranty on seating, and a 12-year warranty on components and fabrics).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, I did it. I ordered Aeron (size B) by Herman Miller from Madison Seating, full Posture-Fit in Carbon black. Probably will not arrive for my BD but should arrive just after.

Now I need to get this stimulus check deposited... Somehow remote deposit did not work.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I thought I ordered it last week, but I never got an acknowledgment. So I am placing the order AGAIN. *sigh*

EDIT: Turns out I did order, but I never got the acknowledgement, but an email to MadisonSeating for it all sorted out, including the fact that my autofill failed and put San Francisco, Massachusetts as the address. :-( But hopefully I'll get a Aeron in less than 2 weeks.

EDIT2: It's been 3 weeks... where's my chair?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Something's funny with my order to MadisonSeating. Either they lost my order (again) or they thought I was a prank client and discarded the order. It's been more than 3 weeks and I didn't even get a shipment notice. :-\
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just got a reply back. I likely won't get the chair for another 2 to 3 weeks. Grrrrrrr
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my madisonseating order was delayed four months. you really have to keep on them...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My turn! My son and I shared a desk until recently. We just replaced our shared desk with two smaller, single-person desks. He's been stuck with a 'task chair' (a $30 seat-and-a-back chair), as there was no room for a second full-sized chair with arms. Now there is room, and I want to get him a new chair for Christmas. I'm thinking of getting him something halfway decent, and it would be most of his Christmas haul.

I'm torn. Gaming chairs are popular, but they're not always top quality, and you end up paying more for the popularity. At the same time, this is for a teenager, and the fact that it is a popular style becomes much more relevant. In other words, he'd likely be happier with a gaudy chair that is three star quality than a plain chair for the same price that is four star quality. So, I have to decide between the better option and the more popular option, all while keeping with my non-boutique budget.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:32 am Just got a reply back. I likely won't get the chair for another 2 to 3 weeks. Grrrrrrr
Well, it's 2 months later, and I'm no closer to a chair. :-/
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:42 am I'm torn. Gaming chairs are popular, but they're not always top quality, and you end up paying more for the popularity. At the same time, this is for a teenager, and the fact that it is a popular style becomes much more relevant. In other words, he'd likely be happier with a gaudy chair that is three star quality than a plain chair for the same price that is four star quality. So, I have to decide between the better option and the more popular option, all while keeping with my non-boutique budget.
I've tried a few gaming chairs and found them all rather uncomfortable. I actually ended up buying a Staples branded chair a couple of weeks ago. It was the cheapest one there, and it was also the most comfortable of the ones I'd tried, with built-in lumbar support and headrest..
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti