Computing Chair Upgrade...

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Computing Chair Upgrade...

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:42 am My turn! My son and I shared a desk until recently. We just replaced our shared desk with two smaller, single-person desks. He's been stuck with a 'task chair' (a $30 seat-and-a-back chair), as there was no room for a second full-sized chair with arms. Now there is room, and I want to get him a new chair for Christmas. I'm thinking of getting him something halfway decent, and it would be most of his Christmas haul.

I'm torn. Gaming chairs are popular, but they're not always top quality, and you end up paying more for the popularity. At the same time, this is for a teenager, and the fact that it is a popular style becomes much more relevant. In other words, he'd likely be happier with a gaudy chair that is three star quality than a plain chair for the same price that is four star quality. So, I have to decide between the better option and the more popular option, all while keeping with my non-boutique budget.
I'm really, really hoping to pull off a Secret Labs chair. It seems to be the sweet spot between gaming chair aesthetics and 'good chair' quality. I'd love to be able to give him a chair that will last him for years rather than a piece of junk that will need replaced by next year. They are a lot of money, though, and would involve a lot of creative budgeting. It would also represent the entirety of his Christmas, and possibly his graduation present as well.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:53 pm I'm really, really hoping to pull off a Secret Labs chair. It seems to be the sweet spot between gaming chair aesthetics and 'good chair' quality. I'd love to be able to give him a chair that will last him for years rather than a piece of junk that will need replaced by next year. They are a lot of money, though, and would involve a lot of creative budgeting. It would also represent the entirety of his Christmas, and possibly his graduation present as well.
If you want a Secret Lab chair that lasts, steer clear of polyurethane leather if you possibly can. Secret Lab's Softweave fabric chairs are a wee bit more expensive, but are at least more durable than PU Leather.

But having said that, even their Softweave fabric chairs come with PU Leather armrests prone to splitting and cracking. Unfortunately, that means you almost have to also invest in some suitable chair armrest covers if you'd prefer not to be stuck replacing poorly-designed PU armrests every six months or so.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:41 pm If you want a Secret Lab chair that lasts, steer clear of polyurethane leather if you possibly can. Secret Lab's Softweave fabric chairs are a wee bit more expensive, but are at least more durable than PU Leather.

But having said that, even their Softweave fabric chairs come with PU Leather armrests prone to splitting and cracking. Unfortunately, that means you almost have to also invest in some suitable chair armrest covers if you'd prefer not to be stuck replacing poorly-designed PU armrests every six months or so.
:grund:

Isn't there anything reliable anymore? Normal people can't pay $1000+ for a chair, and it seems like everything short of that is doomed to fail within two years.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ars Technica just reviewed Secret Labs Omega and Anda Seat Fnatic Edition. They find the Anda seat more comfortable. They said the Omega seat is a bit too firm.

The Fnatic edition currently is $249 for Pre-black-friday, but it's also sold out. They have other color/editions/sizes that may still be available.

I am a little tempted with their $349 T-Pro II which is in fabric, not "leather", but is XL sized like the Fnatic. They also have the $219 L sized "Dark Demon" series available with leather.

No word from Madison seating from the order I placed back in July? August? Should I even bother chasing it down?

My local CL has an Aeron Size C for $450+delivery fee. But I seriously didn't feel like taking the chance on one.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:12 am
No word from Madison seating from the order I placed back in July? August? Should I even bother chasing it down?
absolutely, unquestionably, yes you should.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:08 pm Isn't there anything reliable anymore? Normal people can't pay $1000+ for a chair, and it seems like everything short of that is doomed to fail within two years.
My previous Aeron lasted 18 years. My wife's lasted 16. The amortization is solid for a chair that can be had for $400-$500.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Madison's Emma replied that it may ship at the beginning of December.

I ordered at the end of JULY. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it took them four months to send to me, from the beginning of the year. i have no idea what their hold up was. luckily, the secondhand Aeron i ordered is great - no complaints there. (it came in a HUGE box, since only the back was not attached)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My Aeron just arrived today. I haven't put it together yet though.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:55 am My Aeron just arrived today. I haven't put it together yet though.
there's not much to put together - it's just four bolts to attach the back, right?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I finally broke down and ordered this today:
Secretlab TITAN Evo 2022 Series - Regular - Secretlab SoftWeave™ Plus Fabric (Cookies & Cream)

https://secretlab.co/products/titan-evo ... =R22SW-CnC
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're a braver man than I with that light color.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:12 pm You're a braver man than I with that light color.
Hopefully the speckled look hides the stains...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:10 pm I finally broke down and ordered this today:
Secretlab TITAN Evo 2022 Series - Regular - Secretlab SoftWeave™ Plus Fabric (Cookies & Cream)

Good grief, it's out for delivery today. That was super fast shipping for $9.

Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Lassr wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:38 am
Lassr wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:10 pm I finally broke down and ordered this today:

Good grief, it's out for delivery today. That was super fast shipping for $9.
FWIW, I think the Secretlab SoftWeave chairs are one of the few worthwhile gaming chairs available. But I do want to reiterate the advice I offered Blackhawk upthread:
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:41 pm But having said that, even their Softweave fabric chairs come with PU Leather armrests prone to splitting and cracking. Unfortunately, that means you almost have to also invest in some suitable chair armrest covers if you'd prefer not to be stuck replacing poorly-designed PU armrests every six months or so.
From the looks of it, the Secretlab TITAN Evo 2022 still relies upon the very same poorly-designed polyurethane armrests that are prone to splitting and cracking. So, I'd definitely recommend also grabbing yourself a set of those memory foam office chair armrest pads to preserve your sanity.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:14 pm
From the looks of it, the Secretlab TITAN Evo 2022 still relies upon the very same poorly-designed polyurethane armrests that are prone to splitting and cracking. So, I'd definitely recommend also grabbing yourself a set of those memory foam office chair armrest pads to preserve your sanity.
Thanks, I do have a set of arm covers from a chair I had a few years back that I can use.

Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

I bought this chair last year after giving up on spending $400 @ secretlab. I'm so glad I did. It was on sale for $99 and it's very comfortable and durable. I don't have to worry about the arm rests wearing out, or the fabric getting ruined.

https://www.staples.com/staples-dexley- ... t_24398921
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Whelp, it's my turn to join the thread. Somehow I've made it well into my 40s without ever having owned a chair that wasn't a cheapo office supply store purchase. My current chair is ~12 years old and doing my back no favors. My initial research has me aiming for the Secretlab TITAN Evo 2022 as I agree with Blackhawk's assessment that SL seems to be a nice sweet spot between 'much higher quality than the crap I've been using' and 'not as expensive as my gaming rig.' Reviews also have me going for the 2022 over the 2020 because I think the improved lumbar support will be useful to me, and the magnetized head pillow is neat (and appears to work fine per reviews).

Lassr, how has yours done for you so far?
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:41 pm If you want a Secret Lab chair that lasts, steer clear of polyurethane leather if you possibly can. Secret Lab's Softweave fabric chairs are a wee bit more expensive, but are at least more durable than PU Leather.

I hear you, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've seen bunches of reviews from happy customers years down the line. I'm leaning toward taking this risk. I do eat at my desk, and the hybrid leatherette's ease of cleaning appeals to me. The armrests are replaceable should they go bad down the line, too.
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:53 pmI'm really, really hoping to pull off a Secret Labs chair. It seems to be the sweet spot between gaming chair aesthetics and 'good chair' quality. I'd love to be able to give him a chair that will last him for years rather than a piece of junk that will need replaced by next year. They are a lot of money, though, and would involve a lot of creative budgeting. It would also represent the entirety of his Christmas, and possibly his graduation present as well.
Did this end up happening?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:03 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:53 pmI'm really, really hoping to pull off a Secret Labs chair. It seems to be the sweet spot between gaming chair aesthetics and 'good chair' quality. I'd love to be able to give him a chair that will last him for years rather than a piece of junk that will need replaced by next year. They are a lot of money, though, and would involve a lot of creative budgeting. It would also represent the entirety of his Christmas, and possibly his graduation present as well.
Did this end up happening?
It did (and I'm sort of glad - the situation now would have precluded replacing his chair anytime soon.) Two and a half months in and he loves it. We went with the cloth (you remember Indiana humidity.) I've sat in it a few times. It's firm and comfortable, and everything is adjustable. And yeah, I really like the lumbar support. Being able to adjust both height and size of the support is awesome. Oh, and the magnetic pillow does work well. It has enough flexibility in where it is placed to make it actually useful for tall people and not-so-tall alike.

I sit here in my 13+ year old yard sale office chair with wobbly arms and added-on padding and I'm immensely jealous.

And the arm rests are completely intact.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sweet.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

It took a few days/week to get used to the more firm feel than the soft chairs I had in the past. But it has helped my back a lot. It was a great purchase for me. Adjustable lumbar is great. The magnetic head rest pillow falls off occasionally when I lean up quickly. Not a big deal though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lassr wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:17 pm It took a few days/week to get used to the more firm feel than the soft chairs I had in the past. But it has helped my back a lot. It was a great purchase for me. Adjustable lumbar is great. The magnetic head rest pillow falls off occasionally when I lean up quickly. Not a big deal though.
>thunk<
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:10 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:55 am My Aeron just arrived today. I haven't put it together yet though.
there's not much to put together - it's just four bolts to attach the back, right?
Kasey never reported back on this purchase
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:29 am Image
That gives me flashbacks to what happened with my Grandfather. Mind you, these were older dining room chairs, but we were all gathering to sit at the dining room table, and I think it was a Christmas dinner. He goes to sit down and we hear a loud crash along with the visual of seeing his chair collapse from underneath him.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:59 pm
TheMix wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:11 pm You can purchase a headrest attachment for the Aeron.
this is so:

and i believe there are ones available for most Steelcase models as well (and if not available for a particular model for some reason, others can be modifed to be used)
I put this on my Amazon wishlist when you posted it last year and mom got it for my birthday last month for my Aeron B chair. I absolutely love it.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:43 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:10 am
Kasey never reported back on this purchase
That's because I have yet to put it together. I know. It's been MONTHS. But first I have to bring it upstairs, THEN I have to dispose of the old chair. I planned to move my room (also for months) and somehow THAT never got completed... :-/
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, my Secret Titan Evo Labs 2022 Super-Neato Fancypants Butt-Place Device (regular-size, incognito black edition) arrived today. I have to say that's about the fanciest packaging setup I've seen in quite some time. I got the chair put together without any fuss, and my body is now getting used to new concepts such as 'lumbar support' and 'magnetized pillowy object'.

Seems like a solid purchase out of the gate, but we'll see how I feel after a few days using it.

Thanks for the recommendations, all.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:54 pm I have to say that's about the fanciest packaging setup I've seen in quite some time.
My dog Kylo loved the box also. it was a very large box. Kylo is a 130 lb Great Pyrenees for comparison.

Enlarge Image

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just got a Dowinx gaming chair this afternoon. While it’s incredibly comfortable, I am reminded that pu leather, vinyl, etc. do not breathe. You get hot sitting in them. Kind of wish I’d gone with fabric.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Wearing pants lessens the chafing, hepcat.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m sure the gimp suit isn’t helping either. :(
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

After many years of faithful service, I have said goodbye to my Humanscale Liberty. It was an awesome chair, but it developed enough issues that sitting for long stretches was starting to give me back pains. It hasn't gone far; my wife has taken it to replace the kitchen chair that has been her ad-hoc desk chair for the past two years.

I an now ensconced in a comfortable Steelcase Gesture. Unfortunately, office chair bargains are much harder to come by 2022 than they were in the mid-2000s, when I picked up my Liberty on Craigslist for 1/4 of the list price. This new chair cost an arm and a leg; it had better last.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I finally did it... put together my Aeron. Sitting in it now. Combined it with me moving my room (again) and put together my triple screen... only to realize I'm missing one cable. :-P As I can't find my third monitor cable. I had used 2 monitors for so long I can longer find the monitor cable I had planned when I add my third screen. :grund:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i took the arms off mine - i like it better that way
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Now, of course, I kinda want the headrest, but everywhere I look it's about $150. I think I'll wait until I either get a job, or I get a couple tours under my belt.

I see Engineering Now has 2 models, and Atlas has one model. Both are right about $150.

And there's a no-name for $100 or so on eBay. I think I'll wait.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Is that a human leather painting? #Rimworld
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The Meal wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:46 pm Is that a human leather painting? #Rimworld
It's a stupid plastic bag I forgot to dump into trash for years. :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I had to put a cushion on my Aeron. The "sides" of the main seat are pushing against my thighs and uncomfortable. Adding a cushion solves that.

It is infinitely more comfortable than my other seat I bought for $40 or $45, I forgot. It was shallow, and the seat is so slippery that not even the cushion with a slip-resistant bottom can stay put. Muchless my butt.