cons coming back - BGG.Con Nov 17-21, 2021, Dallas

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Got an email this morning that the CON is happening this year. I have mixed feelings about it, but I am mostly excited. They are still working out the details around vaccine requirements, masking, social distancing etc. Basically depending on how things look over the next few months.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Re: cons coming back - BGG.Con Nov 17-21, 2021, Dallas

Post by LordMortis »

Waiting to see about OctoCon and to see if I can make it happen this time around... :ninja:
Tao

Post by Tao »

PAX Unplugged (Philadelphia) is still tentatively scheduled for December. Was just discussing with a buddy, would very much like to attend but still on the fence as well.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My advice for anyone thinking of attending a convention (or anything really travel related) this Fall / Winter is to make sure you have trip insurance - something that will cover plane tickets and hotel fees in the event things are cancelled due to a surge in cases.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:36 pm My advice for anyone thinking of attending a convention (or anything really travel related) this Fall / Winter is to make sure you have trip insurance - something that will cover plane tickets and hotel fees in the event things are cancelled due to a surge in cases.
I use Southwest for travel (free cancellation for credit) and the hotel is refundable up to one night before. I'm sure if things change and become unsafe (for example a variant that the vaccines don't work against) they'll refund the convention fee. Hate trip insurance frankly, mostly a big rip off.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lorini wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:40 pm Hate trip insurance frankly, mostly a big rip off.
Normally I'd agree, but things for the next 6 months are still uncertain. As long as you can get something back and/or get credits, that might be the best you can do.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:42 pm
Lorini wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:40 pm Hate trip insurance frankly, mostly a big rip off.
Normally I'd agree, but things for the next 6 months are still uncertain. As long as you can get something back and/or get credits, that might be the best you can do.
I understand that, but my life is always uncertain for the next 6 months/years/decades :)
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:33 pm Got an email this morning that the CON is happening this year. I have mixed feelings about it, but I am mostly excited. They are still working out the details around vaccine requirements, masking, social distancing etc. Basically depending on how things look over the next few months.
I'm hoping Texas will allow private events to require whatever they deem necessary for holding a safe (or as safe as one can be) event vs going all DeSantis.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:32 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:33 pm Got an email this morning that the CON is happening this year. I have mixed feelings about it, but I am mostly excited. They are still working out the details around vaccine requirements, masking, social distancing etc. Basically depending on how things look over the next few months.
I'm hoping Texas will allow private events to require whatever they deem necessary for holding a safe (or as safe as one can be) event vs going all DeSantis.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hopefully I remember which hotel to drive to this time.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:19 pm Waiting to see about OctoCon and to see if I can make it happen this time around... :ninja:
Fingers crossed. Would love to have an OctoCon in October...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:19 pm Waiting to see about OctoCon and to see if I can make it happen this time around... :ninja:
Mayor Lori said it's still allowed, although the restriction of maintaining a 15 foot social distance from hepcat still applies.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You show up in overly tight spandex shorts again and I can guarantee you 20 feet of distance at least.
Covfefe!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hentzau wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:52 pm
This OctoCon? What does this have to do with games?

https://2021.octocon.com/
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fardaza wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:33 am

Our Octocon is a much bigger more important event than that. More than a dozen OOers, friends and family gather in Chicago (twice a year, pre-pandemic) for a couple days to play board games and eat, well, I can't remember what the restaurant was but donuts and deep dish pizza were there too.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Polish buffet at the Jolly Inn

hepcat will often get smashed on umbrella drinks
And gaming cheats are discouraged by one-armed Jesus (who is probably fixed now)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:24 pm Polish buffet at the Jolly Inn

hepcat will often get smashed on umbrella drinks
And gaming cheats are discouraged by one-armed Jesus (who is probably fixed now)
We shall not mention The Bike Shorts Incident.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm still in therapy over it.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Fardaza wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:33 am

If you go back and do a search for OctoCon here on BGG, you'll find dozens of threads on the 2 day game fest that I throw at my local church that I have the temerity to call a "con". But if you want board games or minis games with a friendly group of people, it can't be beat.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And we'd love to see you at it, Fardaza.
Covfefe!
Montag

Post by Montag »

Will there be an Octocon this year? I think I will make an effort to attend this time.
words
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You're in Indianapolis. There's no excuse for why you don't attend EVERY one of them! :P
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been trying to attend for years, and I'm close enough to have breakfast at home and lunch when I get there. The problem is the gas, food, and lodging.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I am hoping to have OctoCon in October this year, but it’s up to my church. They’re being really cautious about opening up again. As soon as I know I’ll get it scheduled.

And the con is free, BTW. Only costs are food transportation and lodging.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hentzau wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:51 pm I am hoping to have OctoCon in October this year, but it’s up to my church. They’re being really cautious about opening up again. As soon as I know I’ll get it scheduled.

I'd love to attend!...er...Where is Ruritania?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Fardaza wrote:
hentzau wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:51 pm I am hoping to have OctoCon in October this year, but it’s up to my church. They’re being really cautious about opening up again. As soon as I know I’ll get it scheduled.

I'd love to attend!...er...Where is Ruritania?
On the Northwest side of Chicago.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Sounds great! Keep us informed.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've refunded my ticket as their guidance is 100% based on trust of other people and I don't have any left. Vaccine or negative test required, but no proof required. Separate mask required and mask optional gaming areas. I kind of understand why they are doing that way but I'm not up for the risk.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:23 pm
I've refunded my ticket as their guidance is 100% based on trust of other people and I don't have any left. Vaccine or negative test required, but no proof required. Separate mask required and mask optional gaming areas. I kind of understand why they are doing that way but I'm not up for the risk.
Do employees have a choice which area they work in? Smoking or non-smoking?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Any word Hentzau on the OctoCon?
Tao

Post by Tao »

Fardaza wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:05 pm Any word Hentzau on the OctoCon?
I am interested in this as well. I was also trying to rope-in some other OO'ers as well, although at the time I thought/hoped we would be further along COVID wise by this time, so understand if folks are still not comfortable. Friend of mine was asking about PAX in December and as much as I would love to go, that may be a bit too many people for me.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tao wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:20 pm
Fardaza wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:05 pm Any word Hentzau on the OctoCon?
I am interested in this as well. I was also trying to rope-in some other OO'ers as well, although at the time I thought/hoped we would be further along COVID wise by this time, so understand if folks are still not comfortable. Friend of mine was asking about PAX in December and as much as I would love to go, that may be a bit too many people for me.
Would people be interested in an OctoCon if it was a mask mandatory event? Or would that be the only way that you would want to attend? Currently the city of chicago is mandating masks in all public buildings.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Played D&D with the kids last weekend and worse a mask the whole time.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Tao

Post by Tao »

If I am able to make it, I am fine either way. I am okay with no mask in small groups but I am equally okay wearing a mask if that is the consensus or requirement.
Montag

Post by Montag »

I am interested. With this being a long duration of close proximity, the utility of masks is reduced. I would still wear one if that is the requirement. Preference would be no. You could poll the group about vaccination status. What dates are you considering?
words
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

To be honest, I hadn't really been planning on one, but based on my current schedule I would have to have it either October 29-30 (which can be problematic for those folks that do Halloween) or November 5-6.

I'll move this to a separate thread just so we might get some more eyes on it.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Black Lives Matter
ClaraM13

Post by ClaraM13 »

Yummy breakfast spam