Middara: Unintentional Malum Thread (Potential Light Spoilers)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

YellowKing

Re: Middara: Unintentional Mallum Thread (Potential Light Spoilers)

Post by YellowKing »

I've been running a very similar party, with the exception of Rook. I have him as a straight tank warrior and gave the healing duties over to Remi. Otherwise, however, Zeke is my rogue Martial guy, Nightingale is my Cruor mage, and Remi is my Archer.

We've been very successful, with only one full party wipe out of two Chapters.

If there's anything I would have changed, it would to be what you did and make Rook the healer due to his survivability. Two or three times I've been caught in situations where Remi went down quickly, and I was scrambling the rest of the encounter with no Cleric.

There's a good chance I'm going to start over anyway once I get moved, but other than moving the healer duties I'll probably keep it pretty close to the same load out.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Quick clarification needed on Side Missions during the "City of Elena" Story Round (page 47). The campaign book says the following regarding side quests (it lists two side quests and one bounty as options).
As a group, choose 1 of the following and then proceed to its listed page. You may not choose a Side Quest you've already attempted this Adventure. If you have no side quest you can choose, or you decide you don't want to explore a side quest, continue to Venture Forth.
I take this to mean you're only allowed to attempt one of the available side quests during that Story Round. Once that one Side Quest is completed (or failed), you are required to move on to the main story (Venture Forth).

Someone else, however, thought it means that you can do as many of the side quests as you want during the Story Quest "intermission". You're just not allowed to repeat any of them.

Not sure which is correct.

(A nitpick...the thread title is misspelled. It's "Malum", not "Mallum")
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You can attempt all side quests, but cannot repeat any. From the rulebook:

EXPLORE (SIDE QUESTS): During this Phase, players may select from
a list of optional Side Quests. Each Side Quest can only be attempted
once. When completed, most Side Quests will return players back to
the Story Round and allow them to go through all the Phases once
again. Once players have attempted all the Side Quests, or if they
choose not to attempt a Side Quest, they proceed to the next Phase

Fixed the title, thanks. Not sure how I missed that!
Tao

Re: Middara: Unintentional Malum Thread (Potential Light Spoilers)

Post by Tao »

Question for anyone that may have backed this at the "Through The Portal, with swag" level. Does it include Act's 2 and 3 or are those part of Wave 2 or being released at a later date? There are a few folks selling now for a reasonable price, 10-15% over KS price rather than 100%, but I am confused on how Act 2 and 3 are provided.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Through the Portal with Swag includes Acts 2 and 3, but those are being released as part of Wave 2. Which I think is currently scheduled for sometime in 2022 (God willing).
Montag

Post by Montag »

Played two dungeon crawls and through the introductory encounters. The 2nd crawl scenario gives you 15 xp which can get you a lvl 3 discipline if you specialize. I had both Remi and Nightengale focus on different martial skills. Remi was a slaughterhouse with Bring the Wrath can mow through Cavecicles like butter.
words
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How many here backed at the Through the Portal level? I just did the core, myself. I may add on some additional characters for dungeon crawls though if/when the pledge manager opens back up though.

My current progress through just the base game tells me it's going to a LOOONG time before I'd get to a 2nd, let alone 3rd, act.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just did core as well, but plan on backing Acts 2 & 3. I know it will be awhile before I get to them, but this game has captivated me in a way few others ever have. I wants it all, precious!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

My friend was the one who ordered, but he got all the resin packs, so I'm pretty sure he went all in. This game has a grip on us. We're even making game decisions based on how we think the characters would do it. We just made a choice that way, being pretty sure that mechanically, it was going to kick our ass. And it did. But I love being immersed like this.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I started my Middara campaign over again now that I have the permanent table setup. And I must say, I think this is probably my #2 game behind Gloomhaven. Period. I had a blast today running through the first scenario and re-learning all the rules (much easier to do the second time, I can assure you!)

Really the ONLY criticism I have of it is the amount of "stuff" you have to keep up with in terms of stats, effects, abilities, etc. I think playing in a group this would be ideal as you could really focus on one character and know everything about them. When playing solo and having to do that with all four it can get a bit overwhelming. I'm still struggling to figure out a good method to quickly see player stats.

I had posted about the index card method I used the first go-round, and that worked fine but still resulted in having to squint and read a little card every time. Because my game table backs into a blank wall, I'm actually considering getting four large pieces of paper or poster board and sticking them on the wall with all the relevant player stats written in big black marker so I can just look up at a glance for everything.

I feel like the game is soo close to the edge of being perfect, and the only thing I need is that one method that really clicks and helps me streamline the upkeep of each character. Once I crack that, I have no doubt I'm going to be all-in on finishing this campaign.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:29 pm I started my Middara campaign over again now that I have the permanent table setup. And I must say, I think this is probably my #2 game behind Gloomhaven. Period. I had a blast today running through the first scenario and re-learning all the rules (much easier to do the second time, I can assure you!)
Awesome! I feel your pain - we're in Chapter 5 and I'm still having to recalculate my health and defense every so often. But we adore this game and we'll be sad when we're finished (for now).

Random advice - there's a Middara Dropbox folder that has the cards and storybook pages that either didn't get printed or needed corrections. We ran into a missing command card in Chapter 5 and figured out we needed to print something and found the folder. We then realized we had missed a few others - nothing that slowed us down obviously but if you're starting out fresh - it would probably be good to have.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wty3w9kl7v8u ... rrata?dl=0
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I wound up ordering a 24 x 36 whiteboard to hang on the wall just above my gaming table. I'll divide that into 4 quadrants and put all relevant character stats and reminders on it for easy at-a-glance viewing.

I figured it may also be useful for other games - taking notes, putting up rules reminders, outlining turn phases, etc.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m going to try and get Middara back to the table this week. Hoping it may break me out of my general gaming funk.

Wish me luck…
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Good luck. I've been in a slump myself. After finally getting Middara set back up, getting the whiteboard filled out, and running through the first mission, I haven't touched it since.

Other than my brief run through of HORRIFIED: AMERICAN MONSTERS, I haven't touched a board game outside of my normal gaming group.

It's partially due to NEW WORLD, as any free time I have is generally going there. I've learned not to fight it though - at some point the mood will strike again.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Took a bit, but I finally got back in today. This game truly is fantastic. All the mechanics - of which there are a lot - just seem to work together so well. Mixing in a couple house rules makes it strategic and satisfying without completely melting my brain, which I appreciate as someone who doesn’t care for brutal difficulty.

There’s really just two nitpicks that I’m struggling with:

1. I know all dice games are this way to an extent, but this one can be so incredibly swingy. If you happen to roll low on a conviction check, you’re pretty much fucked. Had two characters go from full HP down to 1 in single hits tonight, something that seems to occur at least once in nearly every encounter.

2. Some of the scenarios are really, really long. I was doing one of the first available side quests tonight. Played for about 2.5 hours and still hadn’t even reached the final objective marker yet (which, I assume, is going to spawn even more mobs and/or send me back across the map to reach the exit). I don’t want to skip totems or objectives because I know I’ll probably need the loot/XP, but the thought of spawning yet another group of mobs isn’t exactly appealing when I’ve already been at it on the same map for nearly 3 hours. Some of these scenarios could definitely do with some trimming.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think Friday night I'm going to put this back on the table. I've been playing solo games on weekends again when I don't have others over, so I think my funk has been broken.
Covfefe!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I actually finished this about a month ago and the ending kind of snuck up on us. I'm definitely ready for a wave 2 though whenever that happens. It was a great experience.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm waiting on the pledge manager to open back up for wave 2 as I believe I"m going to go ahead and add acts 2 and 3. I'm only about a dozen scenarios into the 1st act, but I enjoy it so much I may as well jump on the bandwagon before it inevitably sells out after release.

I played through a side quest over the weekend, and I think I'm going to try another side quest next, then a bounty before heading back into the main story.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure you all just saw the emailed update on the status of the game. If not...go read it. Good stuff. Not surprisingly, they're behind (I think that was a given), but the pledge manager will be opening soon and anyone can jump in.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The delivery date has been moved up a full year. :(

Ah well, 'tis to be expected in this clime.
Covfefe!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:50 pm The delivery date has been moved up a full year. :(

Ah well, 'tis to be expected in this clime.
Honestly, with my host of Kickstarters coming in and my getting longer list of minis to paint, I almost treasure delays as a way to get caught up.:)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Not me. I need everything right now so I can make a throne out of the boxes and gaze out over my vast empire of unplayed games.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I really need to get back to it. Moving really crushed the momentum I had with the game, and now I keep getting distracted by other things *cough* New World *cough*. I am absolutely all in on Acts 2 & 3 though. Absolutely love the game.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:53 pm Not me. I need everything right now so I can make a throne out of the boxes and gaze out over my vast empire of unplayed games.
Oooooo... I hadn't thought of doing that. So the games may actually be useful after all!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And I drink from a goblet made from a dice tower.
Covfefe!