Days Gone PC ...zombies

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Days Gone PC ...zombies

Post by Smoove_B »

stimpy wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:29 am I'm still playing it, but the repetitiveness of the missions is starting to wear on me.
I do think that's a very fair criticism and maybe why it didn't get good reviews early on - it is potentially very repetitive. However, for me I found the rather simplistic mission structure easy to play through and whenever I felt bored, I would just wander a bit on the map and end up finding some interesting feature or have a random encounter. There's always something to do...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Those damned birds! Had my first encounter with them yesterday. They scared the crap out of me as I totally wasn't expecting it. Any tricks to use against them?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Burn their nests as soon as possible.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm a few hours in, and my only complaint so far is I am such a shitty motorcycle driver that I keep doing damage to my bike and using too much gas. Every time I turn it is either too much or too little and I swing wildly back the other way like I'm drunk, usually hitting the scenery. And when I putt along like a tricycle I risk being pulled off the bike. Still fun though.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:04 am I'm a few hours in, and my only complaint so far is I am such a shitty motorcycle driver that I keep doing damage to my bike and using too much gas. Every time I turn it is either too much or too little and I swing wildly back the other way like I'm drunk, usually hitting the scenery. And when I putt along like a tricycle I risk being pulled off the bike. Still fun though.
Using a controller?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:49 am
Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:04 am I'm a few hours in, and my only complaint so far is I am such a shitty motorcycle driver that I keep doing damage to my bike and using too much gas. Every time I turn it is either too much or too little and I swing wildly back the other way like I'm drunk, usually hitting the scenery. And when I putt along like a tricycle I risk being pulled off the bike. Still fun though.
Using a controller?
Yes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Then I got nothing.
I struggled mightily with motorcycle control when using k/b, but once I switched to controller, waaaaay smoother.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:29 am Then I got nothing.
I struggled mightily with motorcycle control when using k/b, but once I switched to controller, waaaaay smoother.
I'm coping. I discovered you can "walk" your bike forward, coast downhill, and only use gas to climb hills or escape baddies. I still suck, but making it work.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I find the bike pretty much behaves the way a bike should. You have to anticipate your turns, and traction and weight does play into it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:41 pm
stimpy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:29 am Then I got nothing.
I'm coping. I discovered you can "walk" your bike forward, coast downhill, and only use gas to climb hills or escape baddies. I still suck, but making it work.
I once had to walk my bike for miles to find gas.
THAT was fun...........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:30 pm I once had to walk my bike for miles to find gas.
THAT was fun...........
Was that before you learned that every tow truck in the game has a gas can by it?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:50 pm
stimpy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:30 pm I once had to walk my bike for miles to find gas.
THAT was fun...........
Was that before you learned that every tow truck in the game has a gas can by it?
I was out in the middle of nowhere. Stupid planning on my part. I made my way back to the road and there was nothing but cars for a looong stretch......and zombies. Lots and lots of zombies.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Ive seen this movie.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:19 am Burn their nests as soon as possible.
Yeah, that's the best way. I'd discover the nests either by exploring or having them revealed on the map via securing bomb shelters, and then I'd make special trips to burn them all out with the crossbow. They are annoying as hell. I think technically you can roll-dodge if you're quick and blast them with a shotgun, but I never went that route and just burned them all out.
Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:41 pm I'm coping. I discovered you can "walk" your bike forward, coast downhill, and only use gas to climb hills or escape baddies. I still suck, but making it work.
This sounds a bit off to me - the problems you're having. Are you trying to drive by binary applying the gas on the motorcycle? Early on, I kinda remember the starter bike being a sloppy mess and you needed to ease into things. It does get better as you upgrade (better tires, frames, suspension) but I wasn't ever wobbling around. You're definitely going to want to figure it out because there will be times when the bike is...critically important.

stimpy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:57 pm I was out in the middle of nowhere. Stupid planning on my part. I made my way back to the road and there was nothing but cars for a looong stretch......and zombies. Lots and lots of zombies.......
Yeah, I think I had that happen once. However, you'll get to a point where you can upgrade the gas tank to a level where you shouldn't ever be running out of gas. I have ditched my bike and paid the motorcycle recovery fee at a camp - sometimes it's just best to GTFO on foot.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:57 pm
Hrothgar wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:19 am Burn their nests as soon as possible.
Yeah, that's the best way. I'd discover the nests either by exploring or having them revealed on the map via securing bomb shelters, and then I'd make special trips to burn them all out with the crossbow. They are annoying as hell. I think technically you can roll-dodge if you're quick and blast them with a shotgun, but I never went that route and just burned them all out.
Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:41 pm I'm coping. I discovered you can "walk" your bike forward, coast downhill, and only use gas to climb hills or escape baddies. I still suck, but making it work.
This sounds a bit off to me - the problems you're having. Are you trying to drive by binary applying the gas on the motorcycle? Early on, I kinda remember the starter bike being a sloppy mess and you needed to ease into things. It does get better as you upgrade (better tires, frames, suspension) but I wasn't ever wobbling around. You're definitely going to want to figure it out because there will be times when the bike is...critically important.
I am doing those things and upgraded the bike except for speed, since I can't handle the truth. I tried once on motorcycle chase mission and failed utterly. If there is one like that is required to progress the game I will be out :cry:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finally finished the first bike chase mission with engine II after exhausting all other content I could find. Of course that allowed me to upgrade to engine III and nitrous, which would have made the chase trivial. Now I can go back and make some jumps where I was coming up short.

Also gas is almost a non-issue, as I just fast travel to the nearest checkpoint I have already beaten and the gas is still there.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

This post makes me want to finally start playing this game. I've had it in my backlog on the PS5 ever since I bought the system a year ago. Maybe it's time.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:14 pm I finally finished the first bike chase mission with engine II after exhausting all other content I could find. Of course that allowed me to upgrade to engine III and nitrous, which would have made the chase trivial. Now I can go back and make some jumps where I was coming up short.

Also gas is almost a non-issue, as I just fast travel to the nearest checkpoint I have already beaten and the gas is still there.
And for missions where you're supposed to chase down bounty targets on bikes, I recommend getting a shotgun as your side-weapon. Makes things much easier especially early on, and shotguns are very useful for shooting at runners. I haven't really bothered with pistols since getting the shotgun. My primary weapon is currently a rifle described as having lots of stopping power.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:38 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:14 pm I finally finished the first bike chase mission with engine II after exhausting all other content I could find. Of course that allowed me to upgrade to engine III and nitrous, which would have made the chase trivial. Now I can go back and make some jumps where I was coming up short.

And for missions where you're supposed to chase down bounty targets on bikes, I recommend getting a shotgun as your side-weapon. Makes things much easier especially early on, and shotguns are very useful for shooting at runners. I haven't really bothered with pistols since getting the shotgun. My primary weapon is currently a rifle described as having lots of stopping power.
Thanks, I will definitely try that. Can you put a silencer on a shotgun?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I would just like to state, for the record, that all of you SUCK!

I am now considering using the Epic coupon to pick this one up at $20. I can't remember paying more than $15 for any game in a long time. Possibly only the Borderlands games. My backlog is displeased.

Edit: And some VR games. They were close to $20. But I've found that VR games don't usually go on sale much.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:55 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:38 pm

Thanks, I will definitely try that. Can you put a silencer on a shotgun?
No, you can't. But I only ever use it as a last resort anyway, in situations where being silent matters less than just pure Boom. You sometimes need that security and peace of mind. There are two versions of the early shotgun, one of which is the primary, and one for the side-weapon. The side-weapon has a unique name called Lil Stubby.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finished the second bike chase mission (I wish you could skip these). I ran out of ammo but managed to ram the runner. Finally opened Lost Lake. Have burnt out all the nests but don't want any part of a horde.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, me neither. Just hearing it or seeing them in the distance makes me uneasy :D Although I have to say, there are some situations where you can clearly see a horde's about to spill out, like at that overpass with the brokendown train on it and a nero checkpoint right beside it. Those become a sort of puzzle in how you can effectively get the nero checkpoint running without them seeing you and attracting them. I like doing the checkpoints, but some of the speakers you need to disable aren't always so obvious to find and I've found myself in situations where I've missed one or two when I thought I had gotten them all, and at that point, I just reload and try again.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:54 pm Yeah, me neither. Just hearing it or seeing them in the distance makes me uneasy :D Although I have to say, there are some situations where you can clearly see a horde's about to spill out, like at that overpass with the brokendown train on it and a nero checkpoint right beside it. Those become a sort of puzzle in how you can effectively get the nero checkpoint running without them seeing you and attracting them. I like doing the checkpoints, but some of the speakers you need to disable aren't always so obvious to find and I've found myself in situations where I've missed one or two when I thought I had gotten them all, and at that point, I just reload and try again.
I saw a tip that said to follow the wires to the speakers to make sure you get them all. I completed the Nero by the train horde with stealth, but afterwards I thought maybe you could leave the speaker down the hill intact to send them down there.

And for those of you who enjoy cheese wiz, the first time you encounter a bear:
Spoiler:
I found the bear will not follow you down the steps to the water, so from there you can pepper him with molotov's with impunity.

Edit there is also a bear trap further down the road. I didn't find it until later.
How long will a bear trap hold a bear? Too bad you can't put them in your inventory.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yep, following the wires is a good tip for the most part, but I've found that that even while doing that, I've managed to miss some. Some can be quite well hidden. One of them was right next to a tree and obscured by the branches for instance.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How long will a bear trap hold a bear? Too bad you can't put them in your inventory.
Why would you want a bear in your inventory?
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I played several hours of this over the weekend and I'm really enjoying it. It really does make you feel like you're in a zombie movie. I also think that the motor cycle controls are excellent. The fact that you can roll the bike without engine power and let it idle down hills is pretty cool.
FTE
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I used a bear trap on the big bald guy. It held him about long enough for one molotov, so may not be worth the effort. Letting bears and zombies fight each other seems optimal.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:14 pm I used a bear trap on the big bald guy. It held him about long enough for one molotov, so may not be worth the effort. Letting bears and zombies fight each other seems optimal.
That's been my strategy. Sit back and let them duke it out then waltz in and cleanup what's left.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:39 am
Why would you want a bear in your inventory?
Funny Dae :lol:

But yes, I did notice that you can't put the traps in the inventory either. And for the longest time, I thought you simply couldn't use them even though they could be picked up.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If this goes on good sale I might get it and see how it runs. I think Steam gives 2 hours for a refund
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It runs on Win 7...I have a i7 2600k and win 7x64
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It would seem there are people in the discussions saying it will run, yes. I'd still get it on STEAM so you can get a refund if it doesn't.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I thought you already had it for PS4? Or am I thinking of something else?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I ran into a funny glitch where I got behind two bikers who were obviously waiting for some trigger, and they didn't react. As they sat there I took one head shot to remove a helmet and another to finish him. Did the same to the other guy. To add insult to injury I sabotaged their bikes for some scrap.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:20 pm I thought you already had it for PS4? Or am I thinking of something else?
Probably Horizon Zero Dawn
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I made it to the Clear Lake Camp this morning and I think it's safe to say that I really like this game. I'm the type of open world gamer who likes to 100% every area. So far I have every single nest cleared and all of the NERO sites unlocked that I've come across. I love the setting and the geography, the controls and gameplay (on the PS5) are tight and I really have nothing bad to say about the game. I don't understand the criticism some people leveled at the game for it being overly repetitive. So far I haven't found it to be repetitive at all, at least not any more so than any other recent open world game. There's also something really cool about seeing a horde in the distance and watching it move along, hoping it doesn't head in the same direction that you are. So far I haven't tried to wipe a hoard out, but once I upgrade to some of the tier 3 weapons I probably will try it.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

I look forward to reading the experiences of everyone else as they come to terms with the various hordes.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:24 am :D

I look forward to reading the experiences of everyone else as they come to terms with the various hordes.
So far I have only cleared the horde at the train overpass next to the Nero site. An attractant next to the fuel truck and a grenade made short work of most of them. I think I'm near a mission to attack another one at Lost Lake, but I haven't triggered it yet.