Days Gone PC ...zombies

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Days Gone PC ...zombies

Post by Daehawk »

This was briefly mentioned in the former console to pc games thread but its time for its own thread as its up for pre orders on Steam and Epic.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Re: Days Gone PC ...zombies

Post by Isgrimnur »

And currently free for PS Plus members.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

And has some nice free PS5 upgrades.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I haven't even touched Horizon Zero Dawn (or barely) but i want to get this to demonstrate support for Sony titles coming to PC.

It also looks good. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I got a decent ways into it but got pulled away by other things... It's not S tier playstation stuff (HZD, GoW, Ghost), but I'd call it low A tier.

Also, May 18th for the record.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

and it's freaking hard
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jag

Post by Jag »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 pm And has some nice free PS5 upgrades.
What upgrades? Just started playing this on the PS5.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jag wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:36 am
Alefroth wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 pm And has some nice free PS5 upgrades.
What upgrades? Just started playing this on the PS5.
Dynamic 4K, 60fps, and reduction of footprint from 60gb to 38gb

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-ps5- ... lity-boost
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

If anyone is too lazy to read the console to PC thread, I'll be lazy and repost my thoughts here:
Hrothgar wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:15 am Steam still has this listed as Spring 21 and coming soon. I played just played through this on the PS5 since it was included in the PlayStation Plus Collection, and it was one of the bigger titles that I hadn't played. I'm sure the improved frame rate, cumulative patches and faster load times made for a better experience than if I had bought it at launch.

First, I want to say it's a solid game. I enjoyed it and got the platinum. I can understand the middling reviews though. It was hampered a bit by expectations and by a focus on scope over polish. It just never achieves the rarified air of its Sony stablemates.

Just think about this run of releases Sony had:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Nioh
God of War
Marvel's Spiderman

Days Gone

Death Stranding
Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us Part II

There were some smaller releases in between, but those were the big ad campaigns. In that list you have better stories, better characters, better combat, better open worlds, better acting, better graphics and much better polish. On it's own, it's a pretty good game. It suffers from the comparisons.

It's also a big game. It can take 40-60 hours to complete. With one big exception, the core gameplay loops will remain the same. You'll just be doing them with more and better toys and a bigger health bar. The exception is the big feature of the game, huge zombie hordes. Most of the game, triggering the hordes is either instant death or a mad dash to your bike to escape. Late in the game, you'll finally be strong enough and well equipped enough to take on the hordes. I have to wonder how many people played the game and never made it that far. That's too bad since it's a crazy mix of planning, improvisation, panic, tools, toys, environmental hazards, skills and luck. The feeling of relief and accomplishment after killing off a large horde is pretty amazing.

With some editing and polish, it could have been among those greats. As it is, if you want to experience the fantasy of being a heavily armed outlaw biker surviving the zombie apocolypse, it's a fun ride.
It coulda been a contenda.
coopasonic wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:21 pm ... It's not S tier playstation stuff (HZD, GoW, Ghost), but I'd call it low A tier.
I agree with this.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Finished Ghost of Tsushima and figured I'd fire this up since it was free. Really enjoying it. I'm in the back end of the game now, so things are moving along nicely. This was a nice little surprise that I didn't expect. Would definitely play this on PC too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

PC is out .

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I only have about 6 hours in, but I'm really, really enjoying what I've seen so far. The game play dynamic of needing to find more stuff (and gas) so you can keep doing things, but then also unlocking the story and giving you more to do has a really cool push/pull interaction.

The game world also feels...right. I've been surprised a few times by ambushes (which I thought was cool) and am enjoying slowly getting better and more powerful.

I know that when it was released for PS4 it seems to have earned middle-of-the-road reviews, but I figured I'd come back and mention how much I'm enjoying it in case it goes on sale any time soon.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Thanks, Smoove! This was already on my vague want list, but you've pushed it to a priority once there's a sale.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I did finish it up eventually after quitting the first try and I enjoyed it. It did go on a bit longer than I would've preferred, but it was a good experience overall.

The hordes can suck it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

gbasden wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:42 pm Thanks, Smoove! This was already on my vague want list, but you've pushed it to a priority once there's a sale.
I'll keep posting more impressions if it takes a weird turn, but I'm pleasantly surprised by what I've seen so far. I play games primarily for story/exploration at this point so it's delivering the goods. They're very clearly trying to tap into you playing a Daryl/Merle character from TWD and it's kinda working for me right now.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:24 pm
gbasden wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:42 pm Thanks, Smoove! This was already on my vague want list, but you've pushed it to a priority once there's a sale.
I'll keep posting more impressions if it takes a weird turn, but I'm pleasantly surprised by what I've seen so far. I play games primarily for story/exploration at this point so it's delivering the goods. They're very clearly trying to tap into you playing a Daryl/Merle character from TWD and it's kinda working for me right now.
Yeah, I also am in a game for the story. I've noticed we share similar tastes so when you like something I tend to pick it up.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm definitely not a shill! :D

I had a surprising thing happen last night while playing. I'm still very much in exploration mode (which is a little dangerous, quite frankly) and I stumbled into a raider camp that of course, needed to be addressed.

While circling them and coming up with a general strategy (I'm heavily outnumbered and outgunned so going in guns blazing is not a good idea), I was very much focused on trying to take out their numerous riflemen with the idea that it would allow me to get in closer. Well, after killing one, the entire camp focused on my general area with suppressive fire (as you'd expect). I'm hiding behind a rock and trying to figure out where to flank for some type of advantage when the tracers stop coming at me but I am still hearing gun fire. I take a peek around the rocks and there is a zombie hoard ripping through the raider camp - zombies that were lurking in the area and then attracted to them when the raiders made so much noise firing all their guns at the same time trying to get me. The raiders couldn't hold them off and were quickly slaughtered. After the hoard left, I was able to sneak my way into the camp and scoop up all the goods - ammo and crafting materials.

Anyway, I love stuff like this - when the game AI acts in surprising ways. Definitely makes me feel more like I'm in a living world and not just the story protagonist.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hahaha that sounds like fun. One day Ill get this and be able to run it too lol
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Fallout 4 had a lot of that. I loved hanging back and letting the Brotherhood fight raiders. Then finish off any stragglers that needed it and collect all the free loot. Free swag is the best swag!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think I can see why maybe the reviews of this weren't that high. So far (~16 hours of play time), the missions and quests are very much fetch-based. Get this or solve a problem and bring [X[ as proof. Also not surprisingly, most involve violent solutions. That's not an issue for me as I'm really enjoying the theme, but I can see where it might wear thin.

I also just really like the short amount of time I need to spend on most quests. I just completed one involving clearing a camp and it was about 45-60 minutes of time from when I loaded the game up to quitting. It's that kind of jump in/jump out game play I really appreciate sometimes because I don't have a 3+ hour block of time to sit and move things forward. There were points in Horizon Zero Dawn (for example) where I couldn't pause or quit and had to stay in the game for 2+ hours to get through something.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure where I am with the story (% finished), but I'm guessing I'm behind the curve. I like to explore and when I see things on the map I do just that. This also helps with advancing the story as I can zip around with fast travel, so maybe that's by design.

Still enjoying it regardless. It's nice to experience an apocalypse with very clear boundaries. Not the constant state of gray we're in right now. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's a solid 40+ hour game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure I'll be longer as I like to meander, but that's good to hear.

The one thing I didn't mention is how the game seems to be slowly ratcheting up the zombie numbers. Early on (first few hours) there were small encounters (~6 or so) and that scaled up into seeing a dozen walking around and now I've seen a few...much larger groups on the roads and stampeding through the countryside. I appreciate that kind of build up.

I keep going back to Dead Rising. I want to love those games so much, but their design and mechanics just aren't satisfying to me. This is more of what I wanted Dead Rising to be.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm at 37 hours now and this game just keeps on giving. There's so much of my map left untouched - areas I haven't been and I'm doing every single side quest I come across.

Hands down my favorite missions are when they ask me to go and clear out enemy camps. I will never get tired of sneaking into an area, scouting for enemies and coming up with a plan to take as many out as quietly as possible before everything goes sideways.

Regardless, I have no idea where I am in the story (just drowned some rats - if you know, you know), but I'm all in. This is two formerly Playstation exclusive titles that I'm really enjoying the hell out of (Horizon Zero Dawn is the other).
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

If you're using keyboard and mouse, how are the controls?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am not. If it's a 3rd person action-y game (Batman, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, etc...) I'm always using an XBOX360 controller attached to the PC. It was something I forced myself to do years ago and I think my PC gaming has been better off for it with these style games. I know YMMV, but that's where I am.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm in a severe gaming funk and what you are describing sounds super fun. Installing it now. Fingers crossed that this will be the game to keep my attention for more than 10 minutes. So many good games and Im just bouncing off all of them. And only a savage would play a 3rd person game with a keyboard and mouse. It just doesn't feel right. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jesus the combat has some serious weight to it. I like it. Need to sleep but looking forward to digging into this a bit tomorrow.

Have you played State of Decay 2? That might really appeal to you if you love clearing shit out and just trying to survive.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

FYI I only got to the part where they show the first town and the freakers sitting on the roofs in a horde is freaking terrifying. I can't wait to get home and play some tonight. :mrgreen:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Octavious wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:23 am Jesus the combat has some serious weight to it. I like it. Need to sleep but looking forward to digging into this a bit tomorrow.

Have you played State of Decay 2? That might really appeal to you if you love clearing shit out and just trying to survive.
I really like the combat in this game - it feels right. I think I played the original State of Decay - like waaaay back long before the remaster. I'll look into it though - thanks for the reminder.
Octavious wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:41 pm FYI I only got to the part where they show the first town and the freakers sitting on the roofs in a horde is freaking terrifying. I can't wait to get home and play some tonight. :mrgreen:
I think the game does a great job of making you feel insignificant around those crazy groups. I'm way more powerful than I was when I started and I still avoid groups of them. I went into an area last night and accidentally stumbled into a horde lair - they were all sleeping. I noped right the hell out of there super fast. :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

LOL... State of Decay 2 is on the Xbox gamepass. So you can try it for pretty cheap. It wasn't that great when it first came out, but they kept on updating it until it's pretty freaking awesome. Hell they released an updated map just last month.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I only played the original so I just added the new one to my STEAM wish list. I'm confident it will be on crazy sale during the next month or so. I remember playing the original on the XBOX when it first came out but it just wasn't grabbing me...don't remember why. Maybe it was right around the same time i was trying to get used to using the controller for 3rd person games.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Loving it so far. The best way I could describe this game is viseral. It really pulls you into the world very well. And holy shit this game is good at jump scaring me. Taking camps is super fun so far.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ran into my first horde. I was near a train car made a sound and holy shit.... That's a seriously awesome game mechanic. Major thumbs up so far.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really do feel like this is the zombie game I wanted from so many other titles. Dead Island came close, but Dying Light and the Dead Rising series just never clicked for me. This has more of an open world feel. Dying Light was close but I don't think it had enough non-zombie elements to make it interesting. Days Gone has quite a few different factions on top of random encounters - it just feels like there's more to do. The zombie element is highly variable - they're always around but they're not constant threat.

I only wish I could get some kind of map that highlights collectables. I have most of the main map uncovered at this point, but I'm still finding new things, racing around on the motorcycle and trying to avoid trouble. The game definitely rewards exploration. Or punishes it...depends on how you look at it. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Does this have weapon and item degradation?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Weapons and your motorcycle degrade, yes. Guns don't, but ammo is scarce (but that can be mitigated). For the weapon degradation, I was worried about that at first, but it hasn't been a problem. I think they have a good balance as having your motorcycle and weapon needing to be fixed frequently drives you into situations where you need to harvest scrap, which can force you to explore areas or take risks. You have plenty of other skills (like sneaking) or secondary weapons (like moloatov cocktails) so you're never really without options.

I've been very, very annoyed in other games by this design choice, but it's not been a problem for me in this one.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Octavious wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:03 am Ran into my first horde. I was near a train car made a sound and holy shit.... That's a seriously awesome game mechanic. Major thumbs up so far.
Shit I remember that one when it happened to me! I must have ran 2km to get away and keep fighting.
Great great game!!
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been playing for ~40 hours and last night was the legit first time I was (1) ambushed and (2) devoured by a horde. Not sure how it happened but was climbing a hill and they were on a ledge above me. My radar was red but it wasn't deep red like when there is big trouble, so I think it was a small horde and they were spread out a bit. Anyway, I popped up over the ridge and they saw me...goodnight moon. I might actually try to go after one today, I think I have enough *stuff* to take out a small group (like what I saw last night) if I can get into a good position and prepare. Would not recommend stumbling into one, regardless.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This game is absurd. I thought I was finishing up...and a whole new area just unlocked. I was...not expecting the next set of plot lines. :shock:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Turns out the date is not over after she Ubers you to her place huh.