Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:40 pm How does someone who was once a lt. colonel in the USAF descend into such insanity?
A LtCol is just a Major who put in his hours. There's no real skill or virtue test.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Seen recently (probably from Thomas Ricks): "A private who loses his rifle faces more consequences than a general who loses a war."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sounds like absolute hell on earth for the 1/6 defendants:

Crockett on Jan 6 Defendant Conditions: This is not the norm. Even in the women’s area, art therapy, yoga, acupuncture. These are things that we can't even find for my people that aren't incarcerated.. There are two types of tablets. They’ve got a barbershop.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

What no slide between floors? The monsters.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I would think ‘normal’ jail has barbers as well, no? That would be weird (and unsanitary probably).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:26 am I would think ‘normal’ jail has barbers as well, no? That would be weird (and unsanitary probably).
Jail? Maybe some larger ones, probably contracting someone to come in once every couple of weeks. Prison, absolutely.

Things like art therapy, yoga, and tablets with educational materials? Also absolutely. I mean, art therapy and yoga aren't specifically guaranteed, but most prisons have a variety of programs designed to help people who aren't always the most stable and/or educated improve themselves. It benefits the offenders (they can improve themselves), it benefits the public (most offenders are eventually released), and it benefits the staff (if you're going to be locked in a steel room with 100+ criminals, then busy offenders, tired offenders, and stable offenders are a big step up from bored, frustrated, angry offenders.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:49 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:26 am I would think ‘normal’ jail has barbers as well, no? That would be weird (and unsanitary probably).
Jail? Maybe some larger ones, probably contracting someone to come in once every couple of weeks. Prison, absolutely.

Things like art therapy, yoga, and tablets with educational materials? Also absolutely. I mean, art therapy and yoga aren't specifically guaranteed, but most prisons have a variety of programs designed to help people who aren't always the most stable and/or educated improve themselves. It benefits the offenders (they can improve themselves), it benefits the public (most offenders are eventually released), and it benefits the staff (if you're going to be locked in a steel room with 100+ criminals, then busy offenders, tired offenders, and stable offenders are a big step up from bored, frustrated, angry offenders.)
The rep in the clip was arguing that "this is not the norm." I tend to believe you over her. Nonetheless, that's the argument she's making.

I also don't agree with her angle that it's wrong because it's stuff that people on the "outside" don't have access to. We have homeless people and food insecure people everywhere. Nevermind yogaless or lacking in art therapy. Does that mean we don't house or feed prisoners either, since plenty of non-incarcerated people lack those basic needs too?

Are the Jan 6 prisoners getting special treatment? I don't know. But her take is pretty weak.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:45 pm Are the Jan 6 prisoners getting special treatment? I don't know. But her take is pretty weak.
I probably would have been better off presenting what the GOP members are saying about the same tour they experienced. See here:
The congressional delegation was led by Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., one of the most vocal critics of the detainment of individuals charged in connection with the attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Speaking with ABC News earlier this week, Greene said the visit would focus on the conditions of those being jailed, including what Greene claimed to be "reports of abuse."

Greene claimed those being held pretrial are "not allowed to see their families, many times are not allowed to see their attorneys" and that "the food has been a major complaint. There's been complaints of it tasting like cleaner."

On Friday, Republican and Democratic members emerged after just over two hours with widely different views on what they saw regarding the conditions inside.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You mean that there is limited visitation and that institutional food isn't five-star?

Also absolutely.

And yeah, staff got to eat the same food. It was... OK. Actually, it was a step up from school cafeterias.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:57 pm And yeah, staff got to eat the same food. It was... OK. Actually, it was a step up from school cafeterias.
See: damning with faint praise
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

MGT soft on crime, getting all woke on the treatment of prisoners.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Robert Sanford, wearing prison orange, told Senior Judge Paul L. Friedman that he was embarrassed, ashamed and disgusted by his behavior on Jan. 6. Sanford, who worked as a firefighter in Chester, Pennsylvania, was arrested in mid-Jan. 2021, and has already spent roughly eight months in custody, which will be shaved off his 52-month sentence. He will also serve three years of supervised release.

"Mob mentality is real, and I got caught up in it," Sanford said, apologizing to the officers he assaulted and to first responders who saw his conduct that day, saying he'd been proud of the work he'd done as a firefighter.
Sanford, his attorney said, had worked with an individual who specializes in "cult deprogramming" and was "confronted with facts about the 'stolen election' conspiracy theory among others and how psychological manipulation is used to indoctrinate the followers of a conspiracy."
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Dominion lawsuit may have recordings impacting this, if the allegations are true. ..

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ex-fox-pr ... t-dominion

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't think this happened. All I see is stories about trans people and black people killing pretty white girls.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Barr: “Yes. I thought Jan. 6th was a clown show.There was no threat.”
:shock: Was he watching live what happened? Was that all media sensationalism? The police that died protecting the capitol weren't threatened by the "clown show." Does he know a fucking clown show is? This guy was the right hand of the highest level of Executor of Law in the land, literally the highest level of Enforcer of Law... Why are the people losing faith in law... Hmmmm.... I wonder.... From his level of authority, that's a criminal response IMO. seriously.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Barr would sell his children to anyone who could promise him relevance.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote:Barr would sell his children to anyone who could promise him relevance.
Power.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's never going to have power. The best he can hope for is relevance in the GOP.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote:He's never going to have power. The best he can hope for is relevance in the GOP.
He had plenty of power to subvert the Mueller report, fire prosecutors looking into Turkish corruption and subvert the law for Stone and Flynn.

All in service of more executive power for corrupt people.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Those days are gone. He betrayed the orange one and lost his golden parachute in the process. The best he can hope for now is to just see his name attached to people with actual power.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

138 police officers were injured.

But they weren't threatened, at least.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:48 am 138 police officers were injured.

But they weren't threatened, at least.
And not a book or rainbow in sight.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case you are still wondering how this will all end:

In a jailhouse phone call, Proud Boy Joe Biggs — recently convicted of seditious conspiracy — calls on supporters of Capitol attack defendants to nail down Ron DeSantis on whether he'll pardon Jan. 6 defendants.

"Shit, vote for Trump." — Proud Boy Dominic Pezzola, recently convicted of seditious conspiracy, on a jailhouse phone call after being asked what supporters of Jan. 6 defendants could do to help them.Dominic Pezzola says “nothing got fixed” since the 2020 election, and he thinks the 2024 election could still be “stolen” by fraud.

“Get out there and watch your polls,” Pezzola said. “I believe 2024 is make it or break it point for our county.”
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:59 pm
Grifman wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:46 pm
Why don't you just post the actual articles?
To irritate self appointed posting police such as yourself. :)
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:51 pm To irritate self appointed posting police such as yourself. :)
FWIW, with all of the Twitter fiasco lately, I'm only about 10% likely to read a twitter link. Tapatalk also won't do the plug in, so I don't even see the preview when I'm on my phone.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:51 pm To irritate self appointed posting police such as yourself. :)
I didn't realize Daehawk was giving out free rides in his time machine. Me next!

Like ND, I always try to include a link because for the longest time, I couldn't actually see embedded tweets. As mentioned elsewhere, it also helps when they get deleted.

Back on topic!

One of the people that was with Ashli Babbitt was sentenced to 7 years yesterday:
The man, Christopher R. Grider, 41, of Eddy, Texas, had also tried to shut off the electricity at the Capitol, pressing buttons on an electric utility box while yelling, “Turn the power off!” according to prosecutors.

Grider, who operates a vineyard in central Texas, pleaded guilty last year to entering a restricted area and unlawfully parading at the Capitol, his lawyer said. He went to trial on seven other charges, including civil disorder and violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, and Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly of U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., convicted him on all counts.

On Tuesday, Kollar-Kotelly sentenced Grider to six years and 11 months in prison and ordered him to pay $5,055 in restitution and an $812 fine.
Looking forward to him being pardoned and released in 2025.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:51 pm
Achievement unlocked!

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Who's laughing now, chief.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:43 pm
Achievement unlocked!
In all seriousness, I post the tweet rather than the link because the tweet saves me from having to describe what the link is about, as the tweet usually does that.

That said, why do posted links not include a graphic like some other forums do? I’m guessing it is a limitation of the forum software?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:00 pm
FWIW, with all of the Twitter fiasco lately, I'm only about 10% likely to read a twitter link.
Same.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:07 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:43 pm
Achievement unlocked!
In all seriousness, I post the tweet rather than the link because the tweet saves me from having to describe what the link is about, as the tweet usually does that.

That said, why do posted links not include a graphic like some other forums do? I’m guessing it is a limitation of the forum software?
Ad and tracking blockers.

It shows up as a white box with a broken image icon which says "Cannot connect to twitter. Please disable any adblocker and tracking prevention then try again." The text *does* link to the tweet, but no preview at all, so it's kind of like a photo bomb with a link (and yeah, it could be a rick-roll ;) )

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:07 pm In all seriousness, I post the tweet rather than the link because the tweet saves me from having to describe what the link is about, as the tweet usually does that.
If we wanted to read twitter, wouldn't we just surf that website?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:07 pm In all seriousness, I post the tweet rather than the link because the tweet saves me from having to describe what the link is about, as the tweet usually does that.
Hooray for Twitter. :roll:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Jessica Watkins, an Army veteran and member of the far-right Oath Keepers, was sentenced Friday to 8.5 years in prison for participating in a plot to disrupt the certification of the 2020 presidential election culminating in the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol.

Judge Amit Mehta said Watkins’ efforts at the Capitol were “aggressive” and said she did not have immediate remorse, even though she has since apologized.

“Your role that day was more aggressive, more assaultive, more purposeful than perhaps others’. And you led others to fulfill your purposes,” Mehta said. “And there was not in the immediate aftermath any sense of shame or contrition, just the opposite. Your comments were celebratory and lacked a real sense of the gravity of that day and your role in it.”

At trial, prosecutors showed evidence that Watkins founded and led a small militia in Ohio and mobilized her group in coordination with the Oath Keepers to Washington, DC, on January 6. Watkins and her counterparts ultimately marched in tactical gear to the Capitol and encouraged other rioters to push past police outside the Senate chamber.
Two of Watkins’ codefendants, Stewart Rhodes and Kelly Meggs, were sentenced Thursday to 18 and 12 years in prison, respectively, for seditious conspiracy.

Unlike Rhodes and Meggs, Watkins was acquitted of the top charge of seditious conspiracy, but convicted of conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding – which carries the same 20-year maximum prison sentence as seditious conspiracy – as well as other felony charges.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's nice that we're now reaching the point in the story where these degenerates have finished their time behind bars:
Just hours after being released from federal custody Thursday, Jacob Chansley, the convicted Jan. 6 rioter dubbed “Qanon Shaman” for his distinctive Capitol riot costume, is back on Twitter. And it appears he isn’t giving up the bit.

In his first post back, Chansley uploaded a computer-generated image of himself howling in the back of a police car—while wearing his namesake headdress and red, white and blue face paint. The caption was just one word: “FREEDOM!!!”

Shortly after, Chansley posted a five-minute clip on the “Forbidden Truth Podcast” Twitter account. It contained a rambling monologue in which he insisted that he has “learned numerous lessons during the test which God has graced me with over the last two and a half years.”

But the latter, darker half of Chansley’s video contained several veiled references to his continuing quest for “the truth”—and an ongoing fight against “global corruption” that echoes the language of conspiracy theories like QAnon.

“The final lesson I will share is the power that we each wield when we live by and speak truth,” Chansley said. “Speaking the truth can topple corrupt empires and free whole nations that have been enslaved by illusions. The Buddha once said that three things cannot be hidden long: sun, moon and truth.”

It’s unclear what specific “truth” Chansley was referencing.