Grifman

Re: Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

Post by Grifman »

Meadows in trouble?

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If only. I'll believe it when I see it. And I'll be :shock: if it ends up anything meaningful if faces charges at all.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Democrats have shown they're mostly bark with no bite so far. So I have severe doubts anything will happen, just like LM.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:48 pm Democrats have shown they're mostly bark with no bite so far. So I have severe doubts anything will happen, just like LM.
It's not up to the Democrats - it's up to the Justice Department.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I doubt the committee will even recommend criminal charges though.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grifman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:42 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:35 pm
]Team "Normal" is anything but... runni ... el Walker:
Just as they did with former President Trump, instead of letting voters see Walker for who he really is, the professional Republican class is devoting itself to coddling the candidate and covering up for him. And when it gets too icky, they dish quotes to their favorite reporters to make themselves feel better about their life choices. These people aren’t stupid enough to believe that their candidates are fit for office; they’re just trying to trick voters into being that dumb.

The National Republican Senatorial Committee recently deployed their A-team to Georgia on a “rescue mission” to save Walker from himself. This came after a team of senators banded together to personally tutor Walker on policy issues. All of whom seem to be operating under the illusion that Walker, with the right people around him and proper guard rails in place, can be steered in the right direction.
Uh, what does this have to do with investigations? Wrong thread?
[/quote]

Parscale's testimony as being "Normal". Especially as the Committee is digging into Team Kraken now.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, what would Mark Meadows be guilty of that wouldn’t also take Trump. I would think what Meadows did would be to conspire -with- Trump.

Not looking for the obvious cynical answers, but the serious/legal ones.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grifman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:43 pm Meadows in trouble?

As things progress, he is likely to be the scapegoat/fall guy the GOP wants/needs so everyone else can skate. Which is why Cheney's statement that Trump is a grown man was so pointedly made.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:09 pmAs things progress, he is likely to be the scapegoat/fall guy the GOP wants/needs so everyone else can skate.
This. Beat me to it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:09 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:09 pmAs things progress, he is likely to be the scapegoat/fall guy the GOP wants/needs so everyone else can skate.
This. Beat me to it.
This editorial does indicate that the January 6th Committee may be quite wise to that tho:
The J6 committee did not explicitly accuse Donald Trump of the federal crime of seditious conspiracy. But after its seventh hearing Tuesday, lasting over three hours, it damn well looked that way. Ditto for some Republicans.

Florida Congresswoman Stephanie Murphy, a J6 committee member, said that 10 House Republicans convened at the White House on December 21, 2020, to discuss an illegal legal theory by law professor John Eastman, according to which the vice president could reject the certification of electoral votes or return them to state legislatures...

...Present at that meeting were the following, Murphy said: US Reps. Matt Gaetz*, Andy Biggs*, Brian Babin, Jody Hice, Louie Gohmert*, Andy Harris, Mo Brooks*, Paul Gosar*, Scott Perry* and Jim Jordan. Margaret Taylor Greene*, representative-elect, was there. So were Mike Pence, Mark Meadows* and Rudy Giuliani*, Murphy said. (The asterisk indicates who among them later asked Trump for a pardon.)

Murphy said it was important to explain that Eastman’s legal theory was illegal. Why? Because Republicans in the House and Senate “were looking for reasons to object.” The thinking appears to be that with a sufficient number of congressional Republicans objecting to the electoral count, which is to say, voting to overturn the results of the 2020 election, they could keep Trump in the White House.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:09 pm
This. Beat me to it.
Hmm. One wonders if he'll flip. I wasn't paying attention to the Alyssa Farah articles which popped up today until I read this from HC Richardson:
Former White House director of strategic communications Alyssa Farah Griffin, who now works for CNN, told CNN today that when she told Trump’s White House chief of staff Mark Meadows that she was resigning after the election to move on as Trump’s term ended, Meadows said to her: “What if I could tell you that we’re actually going to be staying?”
yeah, Meadows is in deep doo-doo...

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I think Meadows will be the scapegoat as mentioned above, but the question is will anything actually happen to him other than being called out and bi-partisanly and publicly scolded in these hearings.

I wonder if the J6/DOJ is able AND willing to actually carry this through to meaningful charges with real consequences.

It’s sad that my expectations of accountability are so low, even for the scapegoat.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think the idea that he is the scapegoat is mainly being supported by Trump world in the hopes that it has popular appeal.

There is a part of me that feels that either nothing will happen or the whole house of cards will fall. I don’t know how you pin this all on one Chief of Staff.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Feds to seek sentence of 15 years, no monetary fine for first Capitol riot defendant convicted at trial

Guy Reffitt of TX, who was convicted of multiple counts & was accused of carrying gun while confronting police

They seek multiple prison terms (concurrently 15 years)

Prosecutors say Reffitt played central role on Jan 6

"Including his intention to use his gun and police-style flexicuffs to forcibly drag legislators out of the building and take over Congress, and his later threats to harm his children if they turned him into the FBI"

This would, quite overwhelmingly, be the longest prison sentence handed down to any Jan 6 defendant.

Reffitt was the first Capitol riot defendant to go to trial. And was convicted by the jury on all counts, within a matter of hours.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hopefully this will dissuade the next batch of tourista terrorists. Or not, especially if they think Marmalade Florida Man (MFMTM) will pardon them. It's possible, but he would most likely demand payment up front.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

The right thinks Bannon is spitting truth. I read the comments. I shouldn't have read the comments.

Zarathud

Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

Post by Zarathud »

They have lawyers to prosecute you, Brannon. And showing it is a crime. They have very particular skills.

Displaying contempt of Congress on the jailhouse steps should be admissible. Sigh.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is why I think jail is too good for them.

WV State Rep. who was sentenced to 90 days in jail for his role in J6.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Let’s start with the GOP
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:53 pm Let’s start with the GOP
:clap:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That guy is a spoiled child. He wants to live in his fantasy world, commit crimes, and then whine when we he is sentenced for his crimes. And there is probably a 99.9999% chance he is 'tough on crime' as well. What a hypocrite. Yet he stands a chance of being elected based on this. That's the problem. Even if we were hanging these guys for treason or whatever it still doesn't fix the problem. We have a growing insurgency of relatively large size dispersed across the United States.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:16 am Even if we were hanging these guys for treason or whatever it still doesn't fix the problem.
You have to admit it would make it a lot harder for them to take office. I almost said harder to be elected, but I think there is some precedent for that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:21 am
malchior wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:16 am Even if we were hanging these guys for treason or whatever it still doesn't fix the problem.
You have to admit it would make it a lot harder for them to take office. I almost said harder to be elected, but I think there is some precedent for that.
It might make some offices hard to hold but if they are elected to Congress it is up to the House or Senate chamber to decide whether to sit them. I think we know how that'll go if they are in charge.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wasn't familiar, so I googled. FAFO = Fuck Around and Find Out?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

A rioter who assaulted multiple cops gets 63 months (the prosecution had only asked for 60) and the judge said she considered giving him more based on the violence he used.
A Donald Trump supporter who assaulted police officers at the Capitol on Jan. 6 because he believed the former president's lies about the 2020 presidential election was sentenced to more than five years in prison on Tuesday.

Mark Ponder, one of just four D.C. residents arrested for their actions on Jan. 6, was given 63 months in federal prison by Judge Tanya Chutkan. Ponder is now tied for the longest Jan. 6 sentence imposed to date with Robert Scott Palmer, who attacked law enforcement officers with a fire extinguisher.

Ponder's sentencing hearing featured testimony from Capitol Police Sgt. Aquilino Gonell, who told the judge that Jan. 6 had changed his life forever. The government's sentencing memo spells out how Ponder "charged" Gonell, "waved [a] pole aggressively and then attacked" Gonell.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:46 pm I wasn't familiar, so I googled. FAFO = Fuck Around and Find Out?
Nonsense. He's a simple organic farmer, gone to DC to advocate for better milk!
Our name says it all: Farmers Advocating for Organic. FAFO is a grant program funded entirely by annual, voluntary contributions from Organic Valley farmers. It's the largest farmer-funded grant program in the U.S. and one of the few focused solely on organic.

Not be confused with JAFO, of course.
Enlarge Image

And my favorite:
On Saturday, April 18, 2015, a trademark application was filed for FUCK AROUND FIND OUT (FAFO) with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The USPTO has given the FUCK AROUND FIND OUT (FAFO) trademark a serial number of 86602019. The federal status of this trademark filing is ABANDONED - FAILURE TO RESPOND OR LATE RESPONSE as of Tuesday, November 15, 2016. This trademark is owned by Regina Todd. The FUCK AROUND FIND OUT (FAFO) trademark is filed in the Leather Products category with the following description:
Pouches made out of cloth

I'm working on spreading the rumor that it's for "Fuck All Federal Officers." See these boneheads actually find out next time they march on federal property.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Lot of smoking guns here. They make get as well just sat down and confessed:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

WaPo

Justice department looking at Trump's role in the elector scheme and efforts to overtutn election.
The Justice Department is investigating President Donald Trump’s actions as part of its criminal probe of efforts to overturn the 2020 election results, according to four people familiar with the matter.

Prosecutors who are questioning witnesses before a grand jury — including two top aides to Vice President Mike Pence — have asked in recent days about conversations with Trump, his lawyers, and others in his inner circle who sought to substitute Trump allies for certified electors from some states Joe Biden won, according to two people familiar with the matter. Both spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.

The prosecutors have asked hours of detailed questions about meetings Trump led in December 2020 and January 2021; his pressure campaign on Pence to overturn the election; and what instructions Trump gave his lawyers and advisers about fake electors and sending electors back to the states, the people said. Some of the questions focused directly on the extent of Trump’s involvement in the fake-elector effort led by his outside lawyers, including John Eastman and Rudy Giuliani, these people said.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Aside from the speeches, recordings and testimony I'm not sure they have enough evidence yet.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Garland DOJ won't move until the election wind vane tells them which way is safe.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

U.S. is seeking 15 years:
The first U.S. Capitol riot defendant convicted at trial faces sentencing Monday with prosecutors asking a judge for a 15-year-prison term, by far the longest sentence sought to date in a case related to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on Congress.

The request for Guy Reffitt, a recruiter for the extremist Three Percenters movement who led a mob at the Capitol, is roughly one-third longer than the nine to 11 years recommended under advisory federal guidelines. Prosecutors say the stiff punishment is warranted, following up for the first time on threats to request an enhanced terrorism sentencing penalty for defendants who reject plea deals.

The defense for Reffitt, a 49-year-old former oil industry rig manager, asked for a below-guidelines sentence of two years in prison. Attorney F. Clinton Broden said in a filing that his client committed no violence and has no criminal history, yet prosecutors are seeking far more time for him than for defendants who have pleaded guilty to assaulting police.
What's the deal?
“It makes a mockery of the criminal justice system, the Sixth Amendment right to trial, and the victims assaulted by [others] to argue that Mr. Reffitt should be given a sentence greater than (let alone three times greater than) a defendant who assaulted police officers on at least two separate occasions, spent three hours on the Capitol grounds and who has a past history of violence,” Broden wrote.

But Assistant U.S. Attorneys Jeffrey Nestler and Risa Berkower said Reffitt’s case is exceptional.

Reffitt “played a central role” at the head of a vigilante mob that challenged and overran police at a key choke point, a stairway leading up from the Lower West Terrace, before the initial breach of windows near the Capitol’s Senate Wing Doors at 2:13 p.m., prosecutors said. After the riot, Reffitt warned his son and 16-year-old daughter that “if you turn me in, you’re a traitor, and traitors get shot,” his son testified at the trial.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Traitors get shot? :think:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Breaking:

Guy Reffitt, the Texas man who attempted to storm the Capitol while armed with a gun and zip ties, has just been sentenced to 87 months in prison.

It's the longest sentence yet in the Jan. 6 cases.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump only likes patriots who don’t get caught. Sucks to be you, Guy.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Speaking of which...

Convicted 1/6 defendant Guy Reffitt's daughters say that Trump deserves life in prison if their father is going to be in prison for seven and a half years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The court drawing for this reminded me of Family Circus....

Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

First it was Secret Service, then broader DHS, and now we find out that the Pentagon also wiped the phones of Trump officials and deleted Jan 6 texts. It’s just so weird how this keeps happening over and over again, right?

I fully expect the “BUT HER E-MAILS” crowd to be demanding answers and accountability.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The GOP lives in little glass houses.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"