System Shock Remake

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lordnine

Re: System Shock Remake

Post by Lordnine »

I found it better to just to run up to the enemies as the doors in the walls are opening. I don’t remember when you first get the missile attack but start charging it right as the walls open and release as soon as the enemy comes all the way through. This will allow you to instantly kill most enemy types and help thin the first wave before it can attack. Then just circle strafe around the room until you are satisfied all of them are dead. As long as you keep moving in a circle with your back to the wall most attacks will miss you.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still working on this. There is one thing I've found that they kept 'old school' that's really hurt it - giving you no understanding of what you're supposed to be doing or how. The information is there, buried in dozens and dozens of notes and logs, 3/4 of which are just for flavor, with most of the important hints being nothing more than a word or two buried in one of the others. Miss a log? Think and important reference is just flavor? Have fun going through four decks worth of logs, one by one, looking for a clue. I suppose you're expected to keep a notebook at hand and write down every bit of information as you encounter each log, but as it is? I know my overall objective is to stop [bad thing] from happening, and I know it has something to do with the shields, but beyond that? I'm going room to room hitting buttons, eventually hitting the one that solves the problem.

Except for that one button. That wasn't the right one to push. :shock:

I will say that this is not the game to play if you don't have a rock-solid memory.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:21 pm I know my overall objective is to stop [bad thing] from happening, and I know it has something to do with the shields, but beyond that? I'm going room to room hitting buttons, eventually hitting the one that solves the problem.

I think one of the hardest things with that is up until about 1/3 of the way through the game, the way forward was only forward. At that point they make you backtrack to not 1 but 2 different floors to solve the objective. It never even occurred to me that the game was kind of a metroidvania in that sense.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, and the problem is when you really, really want to go explore the derelict space station, dripping with atmosphere and story, but your only option is the huddle in a corner and spend 30 minutes reviewing a hundred (literally) logs, hoping that you missed a turn of phrase somewhere that will give you a new way forward (like "When they issued the rebreathers, they moved the EVA suits to storage" being mentioned in log #17 on a deck you played two days ago - that's not actually from the game, but it's similar.)

I remember when games were like that, mostly because developers had yet to figure out how to communicate with players in-game, or because the tech wasn't up to it, but now? It feels like busywork put in there purely because that's how it was originally. Again, it's a great recreation of the original, but they were a little too faithful to it, including the tedious, unfun parts along with the great ones when there are well-established ways around those frustrations that wouldn't spoil the game.

If I find a vital clue in a log, record it in my journal.
Let me make notes on the map/map markers.
Give me the entire legend for the map (it has probably fifteen different symbols, but only includes four or five in the legend.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

this is almost half off for $22

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/system-shock
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

So I am finally giving this a shot, and it's bringing back all my System Shock 2 vibes (never played the original System Shock), and finding this a lot of fun, if a bit clunky. I played for about half a dozen hours and then decided that I don't have much patience for puzzles or cyberspace, so I started again and set those to easy. I never could figure out how those circuits worked with the plugs you move around - I read and watched one explanation, didn't get it at all, and said screw it, if it can't be explained so I understand it the first time, I'm not bothering with it.

But even on easy, don't get me started on cyberspace. I got to the cyberspace in Research (which is apparently the hardest) and tried for probably an hour, and even on easy I couldn't do it. What killed me was the tunnels with mines - you move too fast to react or move while in the slipstream and if I survived that, I got to the next area to weak to survive long. Bless my soul, I did something I never have done before, found a SS trainer, set my health to infinite, and breezed through. Thanks God for that pr I would have never made it.

But other than the puzzles and cyberspace, I'm really liking this game.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Grifman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 pm So I am finally giving this a shot, and it's bringing back all my System Shock 2 vibes (never played the original System Shock), and finding this a lot of fun, if a bit clunky. I played for about half a dozen hours and then decided that I don't have much patience for puzzles or cyberspace, so I started again and set those to easy. I never could figure out how those circuits worked with the plugs you move around - I read and watched one explanation, didn't get it at all, and said screw it, if it can't be explained so I understand it the first time, I'm not bothering with it.

But even on easy, don't get me started on cyberspace. I got to the cyberspace in Research (which is apparently the hardest) and tried for probably an hour, and even on easy I couldn't do it. What killed me was the tunnels with mines - you move too fast to react or move while in the slipstream and if I survived that, I got to the next area to weak to survive long. Bless my soul, I did something I never have done before, found a SS trainer, set my health to infinite, and breezed through. Thanks God for that pr I would have never made it.

Jesus. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? :P This is still on my wishlist, but your comments have made me wary, since I also don't have a whole lot of patience for puzzles.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:59 pm
Grifman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 pm So I am finally giving this a shot, and it's bringing back all my System Shock 2 vibes (never played the original System Shock), and finding this a lot of fun, if a bit clunky. I played for about half a dozen hours and then decided that I don't have much patience for puzzles or cyberspace, so I started again and set those to easy. I never could figure out how those circuits worked with the plugs you move around - I read and watched one explanation, didn't get it at all, and said screw it, if it can't be explained so I understand it the first time, I'm not bothering with it.

Jesus. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? :P This is still on my wishlist, but your comments have made me wary, since I also don't have a whole lot of patience for puzzles.
The puzzles in easy are what I would call normal in most games that I have played. A little bit of a challenge, but doable. I'd set everything on easy regarding puzzles. But that one cyberspace in Research kicked my butt, and from what I have read I'm not the only one.

I'm overall enjoying the game, and I just had a fun interaction with Shodan, she got rather irritated at me :) Like I said, everything else reminds me of System Shock 2 which is great. Just this one aspect of the game I don't care for. as I have never been big on puzzles - if I wanted puzzles, I'd play a puzzle game. Though I did like the hacking part of the Deus Ex remakes.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

A few things I've learned so far after 3 levels:

1) Buy all the ammo and med patches you come across at vending machines. I'm not sure how much the other stims are needed but definitely but the med patches you will definitely need. And ammo is not abundant and you really need to horde it for latter on.

2) The laser/SPARQ pistol will carry you these first three levels. It has 3 settings, use the second setting. It is the most efficient in terms of power use and killing. The first setting it too weak, takes too long to kill and the third just wastes power. Except for one pair of enemies, 2 to 4 shots will take down everything you come across. It's a pain to keep recharging but it allows you to horde ammo for the more difficult levels ahead.

3) For the laser, find a charging station and use it, don't use your batteries early on. Again, the idea is to horde supplies for the more difficult levels.

4) The same goes for healing. Use the healing beds, even if it requires a trip, you need to stock up on supplies for later.

That's all for now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This reminded me I have Deus Ex Mankind Divided to reinstall.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"