System Shock Remake

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

System Shock Remake

Post by Grifman »

I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread on this but there's some real news on the remake. I was a KS backer and got an email from the development team today. There’s a new demo out on Steam and they say that they are targeting a release for late summer of this year. Text below:
Welcome back Hackers!

We’ve got a very special update this month - as you are aware we’re releasing our final demo and opening pre-orders on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store which should be available as you read this. This is a major milestone in our development of System Shock and once again we’d like to thank you for your continued patience and support while we diligently create the experience you originally backed all those years ago.

Our development road was bumpy (to say the least) - but ultimately what you’re playing is the vision and experience we set out to create and the adversity and challenges we’ve faced along the way has only improved the final game. The team has evolved and grown considerably and we hope that the end product will meet your expectations. With all that said we are planning on a late Summer 2021 release date.

On to the demo - Let’s run through all the updates!

NEW Cyberspace Level! (tame those cyber doggies!)

NEW Crew Audio Logs! (no devs this time!)

NEW SHODAN Audio! (Terri is back!)

NEW Dismemberment! (if Viva Pinata were rated M!)

NEW Proximity Mines! (don’t get too close!)

NEW Bugs! (tell us what you find :D)

NEW Enemies! (the repair bot is flamin’ hot!)

NEW GenerativeMusic System! (never the same song twice!)

NEW Snack! (make your selection at the Snacktron!)

NEW Save Feature! (what a novelty!)

NEW Notes System! (USB 1.1 support!)

NEW Difficulty Modes! (crank it all the way up to 3!)

NEW Destructibility! (smash that glass!)

NEW DLSS Support! (update your drivers for your RTX card!)

NEW Trailer! (a ton of new reveals!)

NEW Nightdive intro! (who’s that lurking in the depths?)

NEW Secrets! (first to post a picture of the special skull to our Twitter wins a prize!)

So check it out and please tell us what you think - we value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Re: System Shock Remake

Post by Daehawk »

As far as I recall it was just talked about in the SS1 thread. If there is a thread for it Im sure Smoove or Is'y will be along to fix you good :)

That is a lot of work for a old old game though. Even if I did love it. Its tied as my all time favorite with a couple others.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:27 am As far as I recall it was just talked about in the SS1 thread. If there is a thread for it Im sure Smoove or Is'y will be along to fix you good :)

That is a lot of work for a old old game though. Even if I did love it. Its tied as my all time favorite with a couple others.
Yeah, I did a search and found comments there but I thought it deserved its own thread.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blues News story and links

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/219558/syst ... emake-demo
Nightdive Studios is now accepting preorders for their remake of System Shock on the Epic Games Store, GOG.com, and Steam in advance of the release of the updated action/RPG this summer. A playable demo is also now available on each service. You can get it from GOG.com through this link and from the other two stores from the links above. Here's a new Official Teaser Trailer, and here's more on the game:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Oh my, that looks amazing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know. Im playing the demo and the textures are killing my eyes. Ive got it 2560x1080 all high settings and I cant tell a switch from a light from a button. It looks like the original textures were just blown out of proportion. The enemies Ive seen so far look like wet plastic or clay. I like it a little but over I dont.
JCC

Post by JCC »

That does look great. I have given the original a couple tries. Including some years ago when I played the "enhanced" version with more modernish controls. I just could never get through it though I liked it. Hope this has varied difficulty levels so I might be able to get through it. I think with SS2 I had to enable god mode to get through the Body of the Many level after a couple dozen tries. Man that game was really great!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Daehawk wrote:I dont know. Im playing the demo and the textures are killing my eyes. Ive got it 2560x1080 all high settings and I cant tell a switch from a light from a button. It looks like the original textures were just blown out of proportion. The enemies Ive seen so far look like wet plastic or clay. I like it a little but over I dont.
2560x1080?! That is likely your problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The game supports it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Does the rest of your system? Ultrawide resolutions are about a third larger than standard resolutions, and requires quite a bit more of a system to get decent performance. It also eats VRAM a lot faster.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Reminds me of my eldest kid, who likes to stress test his computer in every game he plays. He considers it a personal challenge to see how close he can get to a slideshow before he causes the game to crash and laughs about it each time.

The he watches me play something with a smooth framerate and medium graphics and asks me why I'm not cranking it up too. "Because I want to play the game, son"
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:06 pm Does the rest of your system? Ultrawide resolutions are about a third larger than standard resolutions, and requires quite a bit more of a system to get decent performance. It also eats VRAM a lot faster.
Seeing as its just an updated 27 year old game Id say ya. But ya never know.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:05 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:06 pm Does the rest of your system? Ultrawide resolutions are about a third larger than standard resolutions, and requires quite a bit more of a system to get decent performance. It also eats VRAM a lot faster.
Seeing as its just an updated 27 year old game Id say ya. But ya never know.
Somehow, I very much doubt a 27-year-old PC would be even remotely capable of running an Unreal Engine 4 title at all, so that's hardly an accurate description. From what I understand, this is more akin to a faithful reboot of the original game, using the original's story, character, weapons, levels, and enemies, reworked using modern design principles and improvements. Here are the recommended system specs for the game:
GOG.com wrote:System: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit only)
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770/AMD FX-8350 or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB/AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB or better
DirectX: 11
Storage: 2 GB
Keep in mind though, that's almost certainly not what is required to play it adequately using an Ultra-Wide resolution for the reasons Blackhawk explained.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ran fine just looked like shit.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:10 pm Ran fine just looked like shit.
Yes, likely for the reasons Blackhawk already tried to explain. But let's not kid ourselves here, you'd almost certainly find a myriad of other reasons to hate on the game even if you were running it on state of the art hardware.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:29 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:10 pm Ran fine just looked like shit.
Yes, likely for the reasons Blackhawk already tried to explain. But let's not kid ourselves here, you'd almost certainly find a myriad of other reasons to hate on the game even if you were running it on state of the art hardware.
Dude if it looks like shit it looks like shit....the system is powerful enough for it and it runs fine and the settings are on high. It should look nice. The original looked better.. Its just an awful looking remake. My system runs AssCreed Odyssey fine and it looks beautiful. My system is old yes but its not the system causing awful texture graphics and monster skin...
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Paingod wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:43 pm Reminds me of my eldest kid, who likes to stress test his computer in every game he plays. He considers it a personal challenge to see how close he can get to a slideshow before he causes the game to crash and laughs about it each time.

The he watches me play something with a smooth framerate and medium graphics and asks me why I'm not cranking it up too. "Because I want to play the game, son"
That made me LOL, literally.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk, you do realize that it's intentionally pixelated, right? Sort of a modern-smooth/retro-pixel hybrid?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:48 pm Daehawk, you do realize that it's intentionally pixelated, right? Sort of a modern-smooth/retro-pixel hybrid?
Dont know but my feeling is it looks awful as I posted and worse than the original and hurts my eyes and head to play it and you cant tell switches and lights or anything apart from each other. I wasn't posting thinking I had a hardware issue.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Alright, dammit, you're forcing me to download and try the demo.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'm going to try the demo so I took a look at the download size- 3gb. You're not getting 4k quality textures if the 3d game demo is only 3gb to download. So if it looks ugly at higher resolutions it might be because lower res textures are being magnified.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OK, I just tried. You're right, Daehawk - kinda. The default graphic settings look horrible. They do mention right up front though that there are a lot of graphical placeholders. I think most of those are on the default settings, weirdly, because it looks like absolute ass if you just play it without cranking up graphics settings.
1. Demo set my resolution to very very low
2. I think most if not all the nice texture options were on medium. I cranked those up and voila. Beautiful game, beautiful textures. The graphics went from "Minecraft" to "Black Mesa" (I use that only because I am playing it right now). I have a suspicion that it was one particular setting that could be adjusted up, but I am not going to go through each one to find out which one it is). I also think it's a result of being a very early demo, and they haven't worked on the "medium" level graphics settings yet. I would be shocked if there is such a disparity in the quality from medium to high when the game releases.

Problem solved! You're welcome!

5 cents please. :animals-chickencatch:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:03 pm OK, I just tried. You're right, Daehawk - kinda. The default graphic settings look horrible. They do mention right up front though that there are a lot of graphical placeholders. I think most of those are on the default settings, weirdly, because it looks like absolute ass if you just play it without cranking up graphics settings.
1. Demo set my resolution to very very low
2. I think most if not all the nice texture options were on medium. I cranked those up and voila. Beautiful game, beautiful textures. The graphics went from "Minecraft" to "Black Mesa" (I use that only because I am playing it right now). I have a suspicion that it was one particular setting that could be adjusted up, but I am not going to go through each one to find out which one it is). I also think it's a result of being a very early demo, and they haven't worked on the "medium" level graphics settings yet. I would be shocked if there is such a disparity in the quality from medium to high when the game releases.

Problem solved! You're welcome!

5 cents please. :animals-chickencatch:
That's weird, my graphics were automatically set to ulta and it looks fine.

That said, i don't know how to advance. I woke up, killed a robot and have found 2 bodies in the opening areas one by the robot, the other in the next area with a locked door. The only way out (that I can see) is a key coded locked door but heck if I can find the code. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Edit - never mind, I guessed an old SS standby but I'm still curious how i was to figure this out.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres a body behind the desk by the door..msg code is laying beside it. I still failed the code 3 times because the keypad is unsidedown to normal ones in games with the 1 at the top left instead of the 7 and the 1 and 7 look alike. Kept wondering why it was failing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grifman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:28 pm

Edit - never mind, I guessed an old SS standby but I'm still curious how i was to figure this out.
Unless it has changed since the original...
Spoiler:
It should be in your logs
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Unfortunately for me, the demo crashes every 10 minutes or so for me. Still looks pretty interesting though.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was aware of the remake when I wanted to install the original + enhanced, and was given a link to the remake. But never really gotten into the game. :-\
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

At one time I'd wonder if they would actually finish the game but it looks like it is on track for release later this year:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-system-shoc ... d-arsenal/
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Looks amazing.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The gameplay excerpt at the PC Gaming Showcase looked great.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This game is getting great previews:

https://www.mmorpg.com/previews/pax-wes ... 7?amp=true
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its should as it was a great game :)/...Isn't this just the same as the original with updated graphics and controls? Id expect nothing less than 10 out of 10s for it if so.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

From what I understand, this is completely remade from the ground up. There already was a remaster done of the original using the original code that was released a few years earlier. This on the other hand has been completely redone from the ground up to take advantage of modern hardware.

Think of it like the original Mafia vs the recent remake.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive not gotten to play the Mafia remake..I have the 2nd and 3rd ones remake but still lack the first..want to play it but cant afford it right now. Will one day for sure.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

March looks to be it, the game is looking pretty good in this latest update:

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Release date is now May 30 per Steam page announcement:
HACKERS!
The wait is (almost) over. The PC edition of System Shock – the fully fledged remake of the groundbreaking original from 1994 – will be released on 30 May
this year.

We had hoped to bring the game to market by the end of March, but that turned out to be just beyond our reach; we are after all merely human (unlike Shodan!)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I’m pretty excited for this. I’ve played SS2 but never the original as it was just too outdated. I was an original KS backer years ago, and I know the project has really struggled at times. But hats off to Nightdive for pushing through and not giving up. It’s looking pretty good:

And Shodan has to be one of the top PC gaming villains ever.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Damn. Even the trailer is fantastic - superbly produced, edited, etc.

I’m hoping this will be a good showcase for newer GPU’s as I’d like to see another modern title other than The Last of Us, since most of the games I own are older.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

SS2 was a scary ass game. The monkeys in the distance was terrifying to me as a kid. I haven't been paying too much attention to this. Are they remaking 1 and 2? Or just 1? I don't think I ever really played 1.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com