2023 is the first semi-reasonable year in some time in which to upgrade one's GPU

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: 2023 is probably yet another questionable year in which to upgrade one's GPU

Post by Carpet_pissr »

20 to 90%?! That’s quite the spread, wow.
hepcat

Re: 2023 is probably yet another questionable year in which to upgrade one's GPU

Post by hepcat »

What I may do is just use the 3090 for a while, then pull it from the system, sell it on ebay (the high memory on those cards make it very appealing to miners, I've read) and buy a 4080 when those prices (hopefully) come down a bit more. I'm getting it from Dell as they're giving me a great price on an alienware system with a ton of discounts because of a recent business purchase (they sweetened the pot even though I never asked them too). But they charge an extra 700 to 900 dollars for the 4080 over the 3090...even though the 4080 is actually a cheaper card. I even worked with their sales department and the best they could do was charge me 700 more over the 3090 equipped desktop. I would normally just configure it on cyberpowerpc or something, but the savings for an alienware with a 13th gen processor is just too good to pass up...even if they won't budge on the stupid graphic card.
Covfefe!
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Since they're so desperate to get rid of 3090s, why don't you offer to take two of them, and, follow me here, stick them together? Then you'd have a super powered Alienware machine. The script writes itself.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hrothgar wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:40 am Since they're so desperate to get rid of 3090s, why don't you offer to take two of them, and, follow me here, stick them together? Then you'd have a super powered Alienware machine. The script writes itself.
I get what you’re laying down, ppp!

I went online this afternoon and the option to get a 3090 on an R15 isn’t even there anymore. The best I could get from the 3 line was a 3070, and it came out to about what I’m paying for the system with a 3090. The 4080 was still about 600 dollars more than what I’m paying for mine too. Weird. Must have been some promo.

I don’t think I’ll do the 4090 anytime soon, but I do feel better about my purchase considering the prices people are paying for even OEM 3090s pulled from Alienware computers on eBay. I’ll use it for a while, then snatch up a 4080 or even a 4070 later. Hell, the 5 line may be out by then too.

Update: Because Issie knows I'm weak and would fold on this after he posted that link, I went back and looked for a way to cut some corners on my build. By dropping from DDR5 5200 to DDR5 4800 RAM (stats show VERY minor performance bump between the two....the real difference seems to come with DDR5 6000), I realized I could save a bit more (the pricing on alienware components is seriously odd at times, and I think inventory driven instead of based on msrp). So I cancelled my 3090 build and redid it with a 4080. So now no need to upgrade later. I still spent a few hundred bucks more, but it's probably worth it.

Next up: whip out my Kill A Watt meter and figure out how many amps I'm using now and see what I can do to trim down on appliances as I may be bumping up against the 15 amp circuit in the room I use my computer in. Ah, the joys of being an apartment dweller in Chicago. Thankfully, it looks like the 4080 draws less power than a 3090 (and seems to run cooler).
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not to damper it but as a word of warning Ive not heard anything good about Alienware lately as they really have become Dell rebadged pcs. Even Steve shit on them. Id watch his videos too on systems. He blind ordered from all the companies and does detailed looks at all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/@GamersNexus
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They shit on them because of the high cost. The actual builds are solid. Especially since the new R15 series finally had 240mm liquid cooling as an option. They're just overpriced as heck. I'm getting a large discount, so it makes up for it. Believe me, without that discount I'd be on cyberpowerpc building one.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok. I couldn't remember the problems each had but recalled the name. Didn't post it to be snarky about you getting a pc just wanted to let you have the info. Glad you knew that. I was afraid my post would be taken wrong. Thank god it wasn't lol. GL then with your new baby. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can't recommend alienware to anyone at the current prices they're asking for when it comes to their desktops. The laptops seem more reasonable though. But I'm old school and want myself one of them there fancy desktop thingamajiggees.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:19 pm It's nice to be at the top left for once. I was very skeptical about the 4090 but got an opportunity to grab one around MSRP and hemmed and hawed and then pulled the trigger. The timing was good as we've been seeing a run of the DLSS 3 stuff dropping. It makes a huge difference. Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, and Undying Light 2 with the settings thrown to the max and pulling 80-100 FPS in all these games?! It's impressive but then again the computer is pulling 500-600W under load and lots of dollars in the pot. Hopefully this will run me several years.
What kind of power were you drawing? The reason I ask is that my alienware i7 13th gen with a 4080 16 gig drive and a 1350 psu (you read that right...1350...that's what alienware is shipping with the 4000 series gpu's these days) is arriving tomorrow, and I'm worried my 15 amp circuit will trip everytime I'm playing a game and I turn on a light. I've limited the devices I use in that room, so hopefully I'll be fine. But I'm a worrywart.

Also, one other quick question for budding electrical engineers: I'm fully aware a psu will only draw what it needs for its load, but will there be any issues with plugging the 1350W psu into my 1500VA/1000W cyberpower UPS?
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:45 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:19 pm It's nice to be at the top left for once. I was very skeptical about the 4090 but got an opportunity to grab one around MSRP and hemmed and hawed and then pulled the trigger. The timing was good as we've been seeing a run of the DLSS 3 stuff dropping. It makes a huge difference. Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, and Undying Light 2 with the settings thrown to the max and pulling 80-100 FPS in all these games?! It's impressive but then again the computer is pulling 500-600W under load and lots of dollars in the pot. Hopefully this will run me several years.
What kind of power were you drawing? The reason I ask is that my alienware i7 13th gen with a 4080 16 gig drive and a 1350 psu (you read that right...1350...that's what alienware is shipping with the 4000 series gpu's these days) is arriving tomorrow, and I'm worried my 15 amp circuit will trip everytime I'm playing a game and I turn on a light. I've limited the devices I use in that room, so hopefully I'll be fine. But I'm a worrywart.
I'm on a 7700X which has lower power draw than your cpu but it shouldn't be crazy different. I have my entire rig on a smartstrip so I have decent data. Max power draw across the whole platform has never exceeded 700W. Usually it sits around 550W even if the GPU is fully loaded. The 700W was only transient.
Also, one other quick question for budding electrical engineers: I'm fully aware a psu will only draw what it needs for its load, but will there be any issues with plugging the 1350W psu into my 1500VA/1000W cyberpower UPS?
There are actually at least two issues to think about. One is how clean is the power out of the cyberpower. If the PSU is sensitive to waveform you may have an issue with it even powering up if the cyberpower doesn't produce a "pure" sine wave. Just be aware and try it without the UPS if it doesn't power up.

On the 1500VA/1000W end of things that will come down to how it is specified. You should be able to look up the model and see tolerance for max power transients. It's probably specified out to something higher. For example, max 1500W for short periods of time measured in micro or milliseconds. The 1500VA part speaks to use cases you probably don't care about that involve AC-powered motors/compressors (e.g., air conditioners and vacuum cleaners). The 1000W number is the one mostly to focus on and the PSU shouldn't call for anything near 1000W unless the computer needs it. And it probably won't.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks for the help!

I splurged a bit and went with the CyberPower CP1500FLCD PFC Sinewave UPS. But supposedly it's very close to pure sinewave. In reading up on the UPS, I see some folks mention that there are some psu's that don't have inrush current limiting, which seems to mean that a psu without that will draw its full power on start/shutdown for a few seconds or shorter. I'll have to dig around and see if the alienware 1350 psu has that.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

With your old building, it makes sense to splurge on a good UPS.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is that a crack about my weight!?
Covfefe!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

got a 1000W PSU today (used) to try to help out with what i think are my current (haha) issues with the new RX 6800 XT. the 650W didn't seem to be cutting it.

EDIT: PSU didn't work at all! verified on a different configuration. got my money refunded in full, and PSU is going to an eWaste facility.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Got my new Alienware R15 yesterday. I used a kill-a-watt meter to measure the voltage and amperage output before doing anything with the UPS and was pleasantly surprised to see it hover around 100 to 200 watts while just downloading steam games. I restarted a few times to make sure it didn't have issues with the inrush limiter mentioned earlier and it did not. So I plugged it into my UPS and started playing some games in earnest this morning before work. The max I saw was about 500 watts when playing Metro Exodus enhanced on ultra with all the DSSL stuff maxed. Never hit higher than 550 ever though, and there's about 50 to 60 watts of other things on that UPS too.

My only issue is the alienware thermal control sees the CPU fluctuate between 40 to 80c when just downloading games/idling (it's stabilized this morning to around 40 to 50 after downloads though). But when heavy gaming, the fans kick in and the temps hover around 70 to 80c.

This morning I went out to feed my addiction, a McDonald's large iced hazelnut coffee. When I got back, it was still dark in my room. I reached out to put my coffee on the desk and obviously missed. I felt it start to fall and that's when time seemed to freeze. I was watching in slow mo as the entire thing spilled across the floor near my UPS and my new PC. I took that time to reflect on all the things wrong in this world, and realized they all paled in comparison to what was happening at that moment.

Thankfully, I was able to grab some super absorbent paper towels and sponge up just about all of it before it got near the UPS and PC (a little splattered on the sides of both, but not enough for any damage).

But yeah...that was a heartstopping moment.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:50 am My only issue is the alienware thermal control sees the CPU fluctuate between 40 to 80c when just downloading games/idling (it's stabilized this morning to around 40 to 50 after downloads though). But when heavy gaming, the fans kick in and the temps hover around 70 to 80c.
You could go the DIY route. :)

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:50 am the floor near my UPS and my new PC.
Stop placing sensitive electronics on the floor.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

When I first got my gaming laptop (Digital Storm), I was constantly checking temps. Now I just trust the fans to do their job since it hasn't had any issues (you can usually tell if a PC is overheating before any damage is done, like games crashing, or the whole machine rebooting). But yeah...it's LOUD. I just deal with the fact that half the time it sounds like it's about to take off. Even though it sits on a cooling pad.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:22 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:50 am the floor near my UPS and my new PC.
Stop placing sensitive electronics on the floor.

What can I do? You still refuse to accept the salary I offered you to hold my electronics while I use them!
gilraen wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:26 pm When I first got my gaming laptop (Digital Storm), I was constantly checking temps. Now I just trust the fans to do their job since it hasn't had any issues (you can usually tell if a PC is overheating before any damage is done, like games crashing, or the whole machine rebooting). But yeah...it's LOUD. I just deal with the fact that half the time it sounds like it's about to take off. Even though it sits on a cooling pad.
I was surprised at how quiet this thing is. Even when on turbo.
Covfefe!
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

I upped my frame rates by 130%, I purchased a Radeon RX6750 XT 12G gaming card. I updated my power supply from 600W to a corsair 750W gold. It cost me $505. $30 was sales tax. Whats great is my PC is so much quitter since it the change. New egg had it for $459 minus $90 and the CORSAIR RM750e was $90 - 5. The RX580 was a great card but the fans would blow full blast on the games i have been playing.
I read a lot of forums and youtube video that the PCI 3 was not a factor over having a PCI 4 motherboard.
You may gain a 1 to 2 %. My monitor is a 32 inch curved 2560 by 1440 120 hz so this works out for me.

Below is what I had

Cyber Monday Intel Z370 i7 1 $1,492.00
Limited Time Offer 1 x CYBER MONDAY! $50 Off All Systems!!
Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - iBUYPOWER High Performance Gaming Mouse Pad ($19 Value)
Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - iBUYPOWER MEK 2 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard ($99 Value) - RGB Customizeable LED Backlight Keys
Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - GAMDIAS EROS E1 Multi-Color Gaming Headset ($49 Value)
Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - McAfee Internet Security
Case 1 x NZXT Source 210 Mid Tower Case - Red - Red
LED Fan Lighting 1 x Default Case Fan
Case Lighting 1 x iBUYPOWER RGB Lighting - [FREE] 1 RGB Lighting Strip
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor (6x 3.70GHz/12MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling 1 x DEEPCOOL Captain 120EX 120mm Liquid CPU Cooling System - Black
Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory
Video Card 1 x AMD Radeon RX 580 - 8GB - MSI GAMING X (VR-Ready) - Single Card
Motherboard 1 x GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI -- RGB Fusion, 3x PCIe x16, 1x USB 3.1 Gen2, 6x USB 3.1 Gen1 [Intel Optane Ready]
Power Supply 1 x 600 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Bronze
Advance Cabling Options 1 x Standard Default Cables
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 500 GB WD Blue SSD -- Read: 545MB/s, Write: 525MB/s - Single Drive
Data Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Media Card Reader / Writer 1 x 12-In-1 Internal Media Card Reader/Writer - Black
Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Pro - (64-bit)
Keyboard 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard
Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Gaming Optical Mouse - Multi-Color LED Lighting
Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Rush Service 1 x Standard Service - Estimated Ship in 12-15 Business Days
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Delete
Last edited by UsulofDoom on Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i should start a similar thread for PSUs. they are crazy priced right now.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:39 pm i should start a similar thread for PSUs. they are crazy priced right now.
Course they are! Right when I need to upgrade mine. Gah.

I haven’t even looked yet, but if the prices are too crazy I might end up just buying a whole new rig since I need a gfx card as well.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i went for this, as it was on sale at Worst Buy and is a B-tier PSU:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermaltak ... Id=6200000

for $15 more there's this Super Flower Leadex III 850W 80+ Gold (A-tier):

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-lea ... MNPAY43503
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wouldn't trust that Superflower name brand one. The Thermaltake one is made by Channel Well and is a good one.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:30 pm I wouldn't trust that Superflower name brand one.
Super Flower is the former OEM PSU manufacturer for EVGA - they're just releasing them under their own name now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Flower
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wasn't it EVGA PSUs that caught fire recently?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Through all of my troubleshooting fiasco I ended up with a spare ASUS 1000W power supply with new 12VHPWR power connector as well as a set of G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series AMD EXPO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR memory. I'd be happy to hook up some fellow OOers for cheap.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

gbasden wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:48 pm Through all of my troubleshooting fiasco I ended up with a spare ASUS 1000W power supply with new 12VHPWR power connector as well as a set of G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series AMD EXPO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR memory. I'd be happy to hook up some fellow OOers for cheap.
awwww just a week late
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’m looking to get a 6700xt or 6750xt…I’m thinking a 1,000W PSU would be overkill, no? Or they just suck down what they need kind of situation?

Power is spendy here, relative to other things, and I’m already paying $315/month.

OTOH I assume I’ll need at least a 600W PSU, so would 400W actually make that much difference in terms of energy usage?

I see 1,000W and my brain thinks that’s like leaving 17 old school, incandescent lights on! Jesus. Hopefully it doesn’t work like that.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It doesn't. PSUs dont 'push' power....components 'pull' power. PSUs run at the power that is pulled..not say 1000w all the time even if not all is used.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:31 pm It doesn't. PSUs dont 'push' power....components 'pull' power. PSUs run at the power that is pulled..not say 1000w all the time even if not all is used.
Right. That's the max it can supply. Since I was hunting for a 4090, I wanted to make sure I had enough power if needed.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:15 pm I’m looking to get a 6700xt or 6750xt…I’m thinking a 1,000W PSU would be overkill, no? Or they just suck down what they need kind of situation?

Power is spendy here, relative to other things, and I’m already paying $315/month.

OTOH I assume I’ll need at least a 600W PSU, so would 400W actually make that much difference in terms of energy usage?

I see 1,000W and my brain thinks that’s like leaving 17 old school, incandescent lights on! Jesus. Hopefully it doesn’t work like that.
I just brought a 6750XT 12G. It only said a 650 Watt PSU was recomended. I went with a CORSAIR RM750e 750 watt.

Its over kill. Remember the specs are for the card running all outputs at max rez. I'm only running one port at 2560-1440 since thats max on my monitor.
The card can do Max Resolution of 7680 x 4320.
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gv-r675 ... 6814932519
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rm750e-7 ... 6817139300

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

gbasden wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:48 pm Through all of my troubleshooting fiasco I ended up with a spare ASUS 1000W power supply with new 12VHPWR power connector as well as a set of G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series AMD EXPO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR memory. I'd be happy to hook up some fellow OOers for cheap.

i may in fact grab these things from you. it seems i might need a new computer mobo, CPU and RAM :/
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Sure, totally happy to set you up with them. I'll let them go for half what I paid for them, if that seems reasonable to you?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I DID IT! I FINALLY DID IT! :P After I have no idea how many years now, I have been looking for a decently priced video card, then Covid hit, the inventory dearth and all that for the next 2 years, etc.

Bottom line, I am finally the proud owner of a 6750XT and new 650W PSU (jesus those are expensive!)

$309 for the card from Newegg after $20 rebate if anyone is interested.

I've waited so long, apparently now the 12GB ram on the card IS being used by games, and several new games are maxing out cards with only 8GB, resulting in stuttering apparently. When I started looking, or even much after, I remember specifically reading or seeing something saying 12GB on a card was marketing BS because nothing used it. Apparently not true anymore.

Upgrading from a (wait for it...) GeForce, GTX 760! I challenge anyone here to claim an older card that they are actively using to game! :D Props, also to this card for lasting this long...wow. I feel like I should "retire" it or something and hang it on my office wall, framed. Well DONE, little card, well DONE!!!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:14 am Bottom line, I am finally the proud owner of a 6750XT and new 650W PSU (jesus those are expensive!)
Hey that's only like 15% worse than what I bought 2 years ago! You are ahead of both of my kids no though. Now I feel bad. I need to get them some upgrades!

I priced out a build redux system with a 4090 earlier this month... haven't pulled the trigger yet. The 3080 is still rocking everything I throw at it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:34 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:14 am Bottom line, I am finally the proud owner of a 6750XT and new 650W PSU (jesus those are expensive!)
Hey that's only like 15% worse than what I bought 2 years ago! You are ahead of both of my kids no though. Now I feel bad. I need to get them some upgrades!
Congrats? Yeesh.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »