We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:17 pm Their focus is optimized for medium distance.
This. Reading is like 6 - 18" Computer is 18" - ? Then there's the long distance. That's where Trifocals come from. I actually do bifocals for reading and computer and then have another pair for seeing distance. I could never handle trifocals and the line on my bifocals is crazy high for a normal person.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Back when I wore bifocals I was told I could use trifocals. But for up close vision I just took off my glasses. Even now after my cataract surgery I still wear my glasses only for driving.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My computer glasses are set for about thirty inches, basically the tip of my index finger if I extend my arm and point straight at the screen.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:14 pm Computer glasses. How do they define those? I bought some of those yellow lenses glasses years ago but Ive lost them. Think they were for computer use. Now that bothers me..where the hell did I put them..dangit. 1 house many planes of storage...like an infinity bag or something. Stuff gets put away never to be seen by mortal eyes again in this reality at least. You guys have a house like this?

EDIT: Think in the day they were called Gunnars.
Gunnar = one brand of many blue light-blocking 'computer glasses' available. They do tend to be pricier than others, though. Here are a few lower cost alternatives available with options for magnification, if you wear reading glasses:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Since that last booster shot Ive noticed my arm gets a little sore randomly. I dont think ive done anything to it to cause it other than the covid booster. Today I woke up and the middle finger on that side was a tiny bit tingly and numb'ish. I could use it fine and feel it fine it just felt like it was a TINY bit asleep. Took it an entire hour to clear up.

Maybe I slept on it weird but combined with the random arm soreness, even during the day, I dont know whats going on. Maybe some of the medicine settled in there or the shot was on a nerve...but it didn't hurt when i got it. And that was weeks ago.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Do we have any dentists in the house? I forget. I got a deep filling that narrowly prevented a root canal the other day. It took my dentist four tries to freeze me to the point I didn't feel serious pain, and even then there was still deep sensitivity. This has happened before. He said I likely have a thickly sheathed PDL nerve and was putting a note on my file to freeze me in a certain way in the future (something like a "PDL insertion" but I forget the exact wording).

The part that got me curious is that he said this likely makes me less at risk for neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and ALS. I couldn't find any super clear information on this after a quick googling and wondered what I should be searching for.
Last edited by Sudy on Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmmm painful dental visits all my life or forgetting the world when Im older. Tough choice.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just like getting up to pee every few hours is part of the new sleeping norm, I've come to the realization that it is no longer possible to not wake up at least twice during the night with intense neck pain, nor is it possible to not have it for an hour or two after getting up in the morning.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That pee thing is annoying aint it? Started when I was about 48. But now I do take a pee pill as I call it. Part of my blood pressure stuff. Its a water pill to make me shed some water. Still hate waking up needing to go. Least its seems almost scheduled now as its near 5am each night.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

While I was on lithium I was getting up 4-6 times a night and it drove me CRAZY. I'm off it now and usually only get up once and it's wonderful.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Usually twice for me. One time if I'm lucky. About a week ago I had one night where I woke up at 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4:30, and 5:30, with no more than two or three minutes of variance. That one sucked.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That's normal for me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I find it difficult to read in bed, always fall asleep. So when I can't sleep, it's alright mofo, time to read!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:30 pm Usually twice for me. One time if I'm lucky. About a week ago I had one night where I woke up at 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4:30, and 5:30, with no more than two or three minutes of variance. That one sucked.
That's exactly what I was going through on lithium... I'm sorry you're having to deal with it. Especially as I believe the "average" sleep cycle is 90 minutes, so I always try to sleep or nap in 90-minute increments. When you bust that up into smaller periods you may not be getting enough deep sleep and suffer horrible sleep inertia. (I would commonly drift off on the toilet when I got up.)

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Luckily, the hourly was only once.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:03 pm Just like getting up to pee every few hours is part of the new sleeping norm, I've come to the realization that it is no longer possible to not wake up at least twice during the night with intense neck pain, nor is it possible to not have it for an hour or two after getting up in the morning.
Have you tried changing pillows?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:25 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:03 pm Just like getting up to pee every few hours is part of the new sleeping norm, I've come to the realization that it is no longer possible to not wake up at least twice during the night with intense neck pain, nor is it possible to not have it for an hour or two after getting up in the morning.
Have you tried changing pillows?
I have. I switched to back sleeping a year or so ago (from decades of stomach sleeping, although I still wake up on my side half the time) to stop waking up in back pain, and once the neck pain hit a few months ago, I researched and purchased a pillow for back sleeping. It is more comfortable, but I'm not sure if it helped or not. I think if I could get myself to stay on my back instead of rolling over on my side, I'd do better.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sudy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:21 pm While I was on lithium I was getting up 4-6 times a night and it drove me CRAZY. I'm off it now and usually only get up once and it's wonderful.
I'm still incontinent after the prostate surgery, but have progressed to the point that I do get up 2-3 times at night to empty my bladder. That's progress since before it was just draining into my, well let's call it what it is, my diaper :roll:. Supposedly sometime between Halloween and Christmas is when I can expect to be continent :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We thinking Australia or more Pangaea?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:01 pm We thinking Australia or more Pangaea?
I was really waiting for that :wink:. After having one on all night, we're definitely talking Pangaea :mrgreen:

And as if to just pile on :wink: with the problems, just as I'm getting over my hemorrhoids*, my right eye has decided to start having focusing issues. Suddenly, and I mean over the course of a couple of days, my right eye is giving me a ghost image. It's so annoying I've been watching TV with an eye patch to avoid straining it. My reading glasses aren't strong enough to correct completely for it either. And my computer glasses have become pretty useless, although oddly now my reading glasses are suddenly good for using on the computer. So I'm going to have to make an appointment and <sigh> probably end up with bifocals. My wife, who's been wearing trifocals for a decade or so, has no sympathy :roll:

* hey, I can now spell hemorrhoids without needing spellcheck!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I wore bifocals from my 20s until I switched to progressives a few years ago. They took some getting used-to, and I'm still not sure I prefer them.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Until we get our eye appointments in two weeks, I've purchased a new pair of reading glasses to tide me over. I went from +1.5 to +2.5 which is basically for my right eye. When I'm watching TV I now have to occasionally use an eye patch over my right eye to rest it. Sadly I have to wait till next September 19th to allowed to talk like a pirate :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:49 pm I wore bifocals from my 20s until I switched to progressives a few years ago. They took some getting used-to, and I'm still not sure I prefer them.
Our eye place talked my wife into progressive trifocals and she hated them. She's quite happy with the old line style.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive probably needed glasses doe 10 years but thats not covered by medicare. No eyes no teeth..they dont count as part of my physical body. Probably hearing too for all I know.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The VA doesn't cover dentistry unless you've retired from the military.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:19 pm Ive probably needed glasses doe 10 years but thats not covered by medicare.
FWIW, various community organizations, resources, and public health programs are available to help those in low-income brackets obtain free or low-cost eye exams; here's one list of resources that points you in the appropriate directions if you're willing to make the effort to avail yourself of said assistance. Most big box retailers like Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart, and Target also provide fairly inexpensive eye exams.

Similarly, once you have a prescription, resources are available through sites like New-Eyes.org, which provide prescription eyeglasses to individuals in the United States who cannot otherwise afford them:
new-eyes.org wrote:APPLY FOR NO-COST EYEGLASSES
New Eyes assists individuals in the United States, who have no other resources to obtain a basic pair of eyeglasses so they can have clear vision and ensure their safety, help them do better in school and at work and improve their overall quality of life. We provide a basic pair of single or lined bifocal lenses at no cost to the client. Applicants must have an eyeglasses prescription dated within the last 24 months, including their pupillary distance (PD) measurement before applying.

For applicants who need to renew an expired eyeglass prescription, New Eyes does offer a prescription renewal vision test available through our application process.

Approved applicants pay no out-of-pocket costs to receive their New Eyes glasses.
Also, once you have your prescription, you can purchase prescription eyeglasses online at surprisingly affordable prices courtesy of sites like Zenni Optical.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Holman

Post by Holman »

Optically, I'm at the point where I have one prescription ("outside") for driving/shopping/moving around in the world and a second prescription ("inside") for reading and using computers. The differences between the two are dramatic enough that (with my "outside" glasses) I can't read small print on grocery items or my phone without holding them close to my face and lifting my frames like a grand old geezer.

I have both of these prescriptions in two pair of glasses with identical frames because, hey, I like how those frames look on me.

This sometimes becomes a problem in teaching. I teach in my outside glasses, but if someone shows me their laptop screen or a printed page, I'll remove the outside glasses and reach into my satchel for the inside glasses. To the student, it looks like I'm removing my glasses and replacing them with a pair of identical glasses.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:19 pm Ive probably needed glasses doe 10 years but thats not covered by medicare. No eyes no teeth..they dont count as part of my physical body. Probably hearing too for all I know.
You're right - hearing is not covered, either.

I get glasses regularly, and could never afford them if I went via traditional methods. Luckily, my optometrist detected early signs of cataracts, and wants me in for annual checks because of it (cataract care is considered 'medically necessary' by medicare.) She just happens to update my prescription while I'm there. If you can find a way to get the exam (via a free service or whatever other option), just ask for a copy of the prescription and get it filled by Zenni Optical. You can get a basic pair for ~$20-30 vs the hundreds you'd get charged at the glasses place (thanks to one company owning, essentially, the entire retail frame market.) Just make sure your prescription lists your pupilary distance (they sometimes don't add that until you order glasses, but will measure it in just a few seconds if you ask.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My blood pressure reads 178/103.....never seen it that high..Im eating my bp meds like candy today. I still have to go out and draw up water from the well...need it down a bit.

Wow 179/103. I feel weird again. Not sure Ill be doing the well water thing today.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Askanurse suggested I call 911. But waiting to see if my meds calm it. Anyone know any quick bp lowering things. Im breathing deep and calm. Walking. It said a warm bath but no water so cant. Did warm some water in the microwave to put my hands in and sitting in front of a heater to warm me up. Also drinking water to add fluid cause online says dehydration can cause a rise in bp. I always though more fluid and warmth raised bp...shrug. Afraid to take too much bp meds and have it drop super low later. Should be fine as long as I dont stroke out as they say.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I will continue to maintain that your use of BP medication like it's Advil is problematic. If your BP is genuinely that high, you shouldn't be posting on OO, you should be going to the hospital especially when you're "feeling weird again".
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Call 911.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
telcta

Post by telcta »

Are you supposed to take extra pills if your blood pressure is really high? I’m nervous for you Daehawk… that just doesn’t sound right.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its down to 152/95 now. It should keep dropping. I have these weird spikes. May have to go back to a stronger daily dose.

Not much I can do other than take extra pills when it spikes.

Just a few weeks ago I was off all meds and it was good. I turned 50 and my mobility environmental skin suit started failing me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You've also not had reliable access to fresh, clean drinking water for ~2+ months. It's without question impacting your mental and physical health. Seriously...get help.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
telcta

Post by telcta »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:42 pm Not much I can do other than take extra pills when it spikes.
Interesting… I only take a statin and I’ve been warned not to play catch-up if I missed a night. I wasn’t sure how blood pressure medication works and just hope you feel comfortable taking an extra dosage.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

telcta wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:00 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:42 pm Not much I can do other than take extra pills when it spikes.
Interesting… I only take a statin and I’ve been warned not to play catch-up if I missed a night. I wasn’t sure how blood pressure medication works and just hope you feel comfortable taking an extra dosage.
I take two pills every morning, a statin in a little bottle and an antidepressant in a big one. A few weeks ago I added an anti-inflammatory (as needed). My pain cleared up so I put it away. Then we had our house cleaned, so I temporarily had to put away my two daily drugs.

Next morning I pulled the big and little bottles back out and went back to my routine. Only noticed yesterday that I've been taking the pain pill and antidepressant for the past couple of weeks. The statin and the pain pill bottles are the same size and I mixed them up. I kind of forgot that the pain pills even exist. So now I'm back on the correct regimen. I hope missing two weeks of statins and taking a bunch of unnecessary NSAIDs didn't do too much harm.

I don't have any experience with hypertension but I'll echo that throwing extra pills at it and hoping for the best doesn't sound prudent.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:35 pm Optically, I'm at the point where I have one prescription ("outside") for driving/shopping/moving around in the world and a second prescription ("inside") for reading and using computers. The differences between the two are dramatic enough that (with my "outside" glasses) I can't read small print on grocery items or my phone without holding them close to my face and lifting my frames like a grand old geezer.

I have both of these prescriptions in two pair of glasses with identical frames because, hey, I like how those frames look on me.

This sometimes becomes a problem in teaching. I teach in my outside glasses, but if someone shows me their laptop screen or a printed page, I'll remove the outside glasses and reach into my satchel for the inside glasses. To the student, it looks like I'm removing my glasses and replacing them with a pair of identical glasses.
I’m going to propose you put a fake nose and bushy mustache on the indoor pair.
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:24 pm I will continue to maintain that your use of BP medication like it's Advil is problematic. If your BP is genuinely that high, you shouldn't be posting on OO, you should be going to the hospital especially when you're "feeling weird again".
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:45 pm You've also not had reliable access to fresh, clean drinking water for ~2+ months. It's without question impacting your mental and physical health. Seriously...get help.
Daehawk, I urge you to heed Smoove's advice. Because with such routinely high blood pressure you're at serious risk of stroke, heart attack, kidney failure, and heart failure:
stroke.org wrote:High Blood Pressure and Stroke

What’s blood pressure?

Blood pressure is the force of blood against the walls of arteries. It’s recorded as two numbers — systolic pressure (when the heart muscle contracts) over diastolic pressure (when the heart muscle rests between beats and refills with blood). Learn more about blood pressure readings or watch an animation of blood pressure.

What’s high blood pressure? High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, is when blood running through your arteries flows with too much force and puts too much pressure on your arteries, stretching them past their healthy limit and causing small tears. Our body then kicks into an injury-healing mode to repair the tears with scar tissue. But the scar tissue traps substances that make up plaque and can lead to blockages, blood clots, and hardened, weakened arteries.

Several factors can increase your risk of high blood pressure, including family history, age, lack of physical activity, poor diet, gender-related risk patterns, obesity and drinking too much alcohol. Learn more about high blood pressure risk factors.

Why manage blood pressure?

Uncontrolled high blood pressure can injure or kill you. It’s called “the silent killer” because it has no symptoms. Many people don’t know they have it, so it's very important to get your blood pressure checked regularly.

Blockages and blood clots limit blood to vital organs, and without blood, the tissue dies. That’s why high blood pressure can lead to stroke, heart attack, kidney failure, and heart failure.
Keep in mind, you live completely alone. Meaning if you were to suffer a non-fatal stroke or heart attack which prevents you from using a phone, what may otherwise be non-fatal could easily turn into a dreadful death given your precarious situation. So you really ought to err on the side of caution, and avoid continuing to hope for the best while burying your head in the sand.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wait, Advil? I take doctor given Lisinopril and HCTZ for bp. I do see my doctor all the time. Ive even been keeping a daily record of my bp to print out and take her. Not much else I can do. Ive cut my salt and cokes and such. I cant really remove salt from food thats already in it. Ill see if maybe a stronger dose is again required or a new type. It seems my top number is always high these days and my low number usually hovers around normal. I have no idea if they can equal them out with meds. Shall see.

Im also actually taking my statin every night where before I might take 2 a month. Im on it. But its just behaving strangely.

Until sometime in my 40s my bp always was like 115/76 my entire life up until that point. Miss those days.

EDIT: Oh and my bp is 94/76 now. Im gonna eat a bit of salt before it drops too far and Im in shock again. Maybe drink some rum too and coke..as caffeine and alcohol will raise it slightly.